{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Ethos first then a new manager

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Ethos first then a new manager

Postby garlic » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:31 pm

Sedgwick, Aresene Wengers Coat and to a lesser extent myself, have been hammering on about the importance of an ethos which binds community, club, team, playing style and supporters. We needed an ethos years ago, but right now we need one more than ever.
garlic
First Team
First Team

Re: Ethos first then a new manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:23 pm

garlic wrote:Sedgwick, Aresene Wengers Coat and to a lesser extent myself, have been hammering on about the importance of an ethos which binds community, club, team, playing style and supporters. We needed an ethos years ago, but right now we need one more than ever.

If Dempster had been successful or even still here, you could argue that the club had started developing an ethos of signing youngsters for the future, keeping old pros after retirement and moving them onto coaching at the RH Academy
Sharpe has then brought in the idea of signing players to be assets as well as effective on the pitch.
So there are the initial seeds of a sustainable approach which does excite me. Recruitment has not necessarily backed this up this year both in the selection of managers and players.

For me, there is huge work to do in order to bring fans into the ground when we are allowed back in. We have to undercut Forest when pricing for kids to come in so that local kids do not consider any other club to watch live unless they are going with family or friends. We have to work with local schools and clubs to source local kids to our academy as well as to be fans.
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Wilfred » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:52 pm

georgefostersbeard wrote:
garlic wrote:Sedgwick, Aresene Wengers Coat and to a lesser extent myself, have been hammering on about the importance of an ethos which binds community, club, team, playing style and supporters. We needed an ethos years ago, but right now we need one more than ever.

If Dempster had been successful or even still here, you could argue that the club had started developing an ethos of signing youngsters for the future, keeping old pros after retirement and moving them onto coaching at the RH Academy
Sharpe has then brought in the idea of signing players to be assets as well as effective on the pitch.
So there are the initial seeds of a sustainable approach which does excite me. Recruitment has not necessarily backed this up this year both in the selection of managers and players.

For me, there is huge work to do in order to bring fans into the ground when we are allowed back in. We have to undercut Forest when pricing for kids to come in so that local kids do not consider any other club to watch live unless they are going with family or friends. We have to work with local schools and clubs to source local kids to our academy as well as to be fans.

Are there any channels through which a community ethos can be promoted and implemented at the club?
The SSA do a fantastic job for the kids in the community. But it perhaps needs a representative body of fans to implement a strategy that informs and helps the club management fully understand how things can be improved.
Pessimists are never disappointed.
Wilfred
Manager
Manager

Postby KirkbyStag2 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:13 pm

Hi Garlic, when you refer to ethos don't mention Sedgewick, out of all the people who post on Stagnsnet he his full of it :lol: I shouldn't have to explain anymore :lol:
Champions 1974-75, 1976-77, 2012-13

Freight Rover Trophy Winners 1986-87
KirkbyStag2
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:37 pm

It's impossible to do. We don't get the income that they do. Their FITC team is huge whereas we've only got a few. They go into all the schools in and around the Mansfield & Ashfield area giving out free goodie bags with shirts, free tickets etc in and they know they've done their job. We don't stand a chance up against that.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:40 pm

Fair point but we miss a trick with our pricing structure so maybe family tickets, special offers etc
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:40 pm

Lincoln are the model. I'm not sure what came first, togetherness or the Cowleys, but they got it absolutely bang on, whatever way round it was and everyone bought into the plan.

From what my Imp mates say, the Cowleys were a huge part in the community unity and huge surge in attendances there. I doubt we could get them in, but we need a management team that coproduces or at least co-leads all elements of the wider ethos/strategy alongside Sharpe and the rest of the senior staff team.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:45 pm

georgefostersbeard wrote:Fair point but we miss a trick with our pricing structure so maybe family tickets, special offers etc

Agree, our pricing structure for kids has been strange for many years. I can remember a few times my son coming home with Forest programmes from postponed matches, a sheet offering free tickets that you could apply for, stuff like that. Really wound me up.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:49 pm

My 23 year old went to his first game at 7 with kids for a quid through school.
16 years later, he costs us a fortune in him coming to as many games as he can. And I love it!
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:56 pm

I live in Beeston and my kids come home with applications for Notts County tickets.

I got asked by one of the teachers if my kids are going I said no. They asked why and I said they had behaved themselves so didn't think that punishment was appropriate.

I used to attend Saturday sessions in the mid-late 90s. Spend time having a kick around and playing table football speculating how many goals Steve Whitehall and Lee peacock will score. It was fun and helped make me a fan forever.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:05 pm

KirkbyStag2 wrote:Hi Garlic, when you refer to ethos don't mention Sedgewick, out of all the people who post on Stagnsnet he his full of it :lol: I shouldn't have to explain anymore :lol:

Explain via PM then... :?
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:06 pm

Dan wrote:

It's impossible to do. We don't get the income that they do. Their FITC team is huge whereas we've only got a few. They go into all the schools in and around the Mansfield & Ashfield area giving out free goodie bags with shirts, free tickets etc in and they know they've done their job. We don't stand a chance up against that.

Dont they give every kid in the whole of Nottinghamshire the chance to have a free forest shirt on their 7th birthday as well? They did when I was at school and loads of kids had them!
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby ladybr00kjohn » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:22 pm

Graham Alexanda former Manager of Salford may be a good target He got them promoted to div 2 and were sixth when he left them, seems his face didn't fit for some reason?
ladybr00kjohn
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby arsene wengers coat » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:37 pm

Hi garlic. I just want to see a strategic/corporate aim set by the club and plan with SMART objectives to help us reach our shared goals. In the interest of governance, the club should publish it and request that the fans hold the board to account at AGMs.

It would give us a yardstick to measure progress and give employees a laser focussed target.

Not all clubs do this, but some do. Here is just a brief example of how a certain element of the wider football club is interwoven with the strategic aims. https://www.lutontown.co.uk/teams/acade ... y-mission/
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:42 pm

Our academy has already picked off the better players who were with Notts County's academy, it'd be nice now to start gettong players from the Chesterfield territories to pee them off too.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby RAFstag » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:59 pm

Respect
Integrity
Service
Excellence
RAFstag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby sunray » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:20 pm

You can develop all the youth team players you want but if the new manager will only come if he plays the experianced players. Promotion manager or mid table whilst creating assets for David Sharpe to sell.
sunray
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby kevin kents tasce » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:52 pm

sunray wrote:You can develop all the youth team players you want but if the new manager will only come if he plays the experianced players. Promotion manager or mid table whilst creating assets for David Sharpe to sell.

Don't talk wet.

No reason why we couldn't win promotion and develop a few player aged between 19-25 to sell on to profits at the same time.

Chesterfield had that exact model in place under Cook and still reaped the rewards from it last season when Cooper got promoted with Leeds.

It was only when he wanted to get promoted again and the chairman bottled it that it started to go wrong.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:07 am

arsene wengers coat wrote:

Hi garlic. I just want to see a strategic/corporate aim set by the club and plan with SMART objectives to help us reach our shared goals. In the interest of governance, the club should publish it and request that the fans hold the board to account at AGMs.

It would give us a yardstick to measure progress and give employees a laser focussed target.

Not all clubs do this, but some do. Here is just a brief example of how a certain element of the wider football club is interwoven with the strategic aims. https://www.lutontown.co.uk/teams/acade ... y-mission/

Have you just been on a course and thought you'd share it with us? Maybe you've done a bit of Belbin too :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Rob on Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:07 am

RAFstag wrote:

Respect
Integrity
Service
Excellence

I think I'm going to be sick!
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:52 am

sunray wrote:You can develop all the youth team players you want but if the new manager will only come if he plays the experianced players. Promotion manager or mid table whilst creating assets for David Sharpe to sell.

There can be a middle ground. We’re a L2 club, every club at our level is a selling club. We’re just not used to it because we usually sign over the hill 30 year olds with no sell on value.
James
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:17 am

Rob wrote:

Have you just been on a course and thought you'd share it with us? Maybe you've done a bit of Belbin too :lol: :lol:

I work in a very corporate environment. These things used to make my heart sink, but actually, they do help externalise the vision. Put in place milestones along the way and set out how you're moving to achieve each milestone. It works! Without all the corporate jargon, we don't have anything like this in place.

The Luton board picked them up from their lowest ebb, same as JR did for us. They had this in place and look where they are, and look where we are.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:02 am

Rob wrote:

I work in a very corporate environment. These things used to make my heart sink, but actually, they do help externalise the vision. Put in place milestones along the way and set out how you're moving to achieve each milestone. It works! Without all the corporate jargon, we don't have anything like this in place.

The Luton board picked them up from their lowest ebb, same as JR did for us. They had this in place and look where they are, and look where we are.

Is the answer, they are in Bedfordshire and we are in Nottinghamshire , do I win a prize ?
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:13 am

The One wrote:
Rob wrote:

Is the answer, they are in Bedfordshire and we are in Nottinghamshire , do I win a prize ?

Perhaps we can just put a sign up at the players entrance saying "Externalise The Vision". Nobody would know what it means, but we'd be able to tick the "ethos" box and move on.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:28 am

‘Externalise the vision’

They’d think there was a Dalek in the tunnel
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum