{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Next manager odds

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Next manager odds

Postby sunray » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:10 am

MTFCMusings;
You’ve really got it in for Sharpe haven’t you?

Not really it just the unfairness of life when things go wrong you blame the foot soldiers and promote the generals. Coughlin, Dunne, Barron and Andy Burgess loss their jobs and Sharpe was promoted.

I believe Sharpe was fully involved in the recruitment and shaping of this team as was Coughlin and that should be acknowledged.

Sedgwick: geoffhill:

In future do you advocate selling the best performing players each season at the end of their penultimate contract season for the money? How do you build a team to get promotion? Just relying on a lucky season to gain promotion?

Not saying you are wrong but not what I want for the club
sunray
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bobbystagsfan » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:29 am

Thing is, I don't think we've signed bad players. They're just having a bad run, I believe the team will turn it around.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby one f in mansfield » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:35 am

sunray wrote:MTFCMusings;

Not really it just the unfairness of life when things go wrong you blame the foot soldiers and promote the generals. Coughlin, Dunne, Barron and Andy Burgess loss their jobs and Sharpe was promoted.

I believe Sharpe was fully involved in the recruitment and shaping of this team as was Coughlin and that should be acknowledged.

In future do you advocate selling the best performing players each season at the end of their penultimate contract season for the money? How do you build a team to get promotion? Just relying on a lucky season to gain promotion?

The problem with your argument is that the best performing players are /did not perform consistently well at Mansfield.. if we can concentrate on getting the best out of them while they are here we may be more successful.
Don,t believe everything you read on the internet --William Gladstone 1872
one f in mansfield
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:54 am

I do not advocate selling the best players.he fact is that these two were offered a place in a team at a higher level and on a longer contract and more money I expect.It was a good deal for both parties .I didn't want them to go but I have stated the reasons above.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:58 am

sunray wrote:MTFCMusings;

Those best performing players, as you put it, had four seasons to accomplish what the club wanted to do, and didn’t manage it. They wanted to leave, and do we cashed in whilst we could.

You’ve written all our new signings off based on 12 games under a manager with the worst win rate in our history. They must be given a chance to show their worth under a new coach. Most of them are proven success’ at this level.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:07 am

Sedgwick there were reasons these two were sold.they went to play at a higher level on a good contract.If they had stayed they could have gone for free.I would have preferred to have kept them but it was good business.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby sunray » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:38 am

ygeoffhill:
Sedgwick there were reasons these two were sold.they went to play at a higher level on a good contract.If they had stayed they could have gone for free.I would have preferred to have kept them but it was good business.

Surely that's the risk at this level if a young forward has a good season they will refuse a contract hoping to repeat in their last season to attract a good offer out of contract.
If you sell on you may gain in the short term but greatly increase the risk of getting promotion. Surely if Coughlin/Sharpe had kept them and put a team around them to play to their strengths you would have a better chance at promotion. If you get promoted the financial rewards to the club of a successful title chasing season and those of playing in a higher league would out weigh the sell-on fee. Lower risk option than the current one.
Putting completely new teams together is even greater risk as proved this season so far. Attendances would have been through the floor this season
Maybe in this Covid season short financial gain was a needed option.
sunray
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby one f in mansfield » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:01 pm

sunray wrote:ygeoffhill:

Surely that's the risk at this level if a young forward has a good season they will refuse a contract hoping to repeat in their last season to attract a good offer out of contract.
If you sell on you may gain in the short term but greatly increase the risk of getting promotion. Surely if Coughlin/Sharpe had kept them and put a team around them to play to their strengths you would have a better chance at promotion. If you get promoted the financial rewards to the club of a successful title chasing season and those of playing in a higher league would out weigh the sell-on fee. Lower risk option than the current one.
Putting completely new teams together is even greater risk as proved this season so far. Attendances would have been through the floor this season
Maybe in this Covid season short financial gain was a needed option.

How do you build a team around players that you have told cannot leave to play at a higher level .You have also told them that they could well be losing a tidy bit of salary assuming that the new club would be offering more to leave . .
one f in mansfield
Manager
Manager

Postby sunray » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:44 pm

if one f in mansfield:
How do you build a team around players that you have told cannot leave to play at a higher level .You have also told them that they could well be losing a tidy bit of salary assuming that the new club would be offering more to leave . .

So how do you develop a promotion winning team?

Players need to know when they sign a contract that the club does not sell before the end. If players know the club will sell, one good season and they will chase a better offer.
Players need a good season to maximumize their prospects at the end of the contract, so under performing would damage both parties.
sunray
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby spanishstag » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:52 pm

sunray wrote:if one f in mansfield:

Players need to know when they sign a contract that the club does not sell before the end. If players know the club will sell, one good season and they will chase a better offer.
Players need a good season to maximumize their prospects at the end of the contract, so under performing would damage both parties.

Erm ,by sticking with a manager who convinced them to sign ,i will get me coat :P
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:08 pm

I read on here about getting rid of our best players but as someone has already pointed out they failed, the last few games in the DF era where we only needed a point showed what they were about.

The irony is CJ used to get slated by most despite being played in so many different positions, why would he want to stay at a club where the supporters are so anti against you if you have a bad game.

DR used to get exceptional support despite being bang average, his departure has made no difference, Cook adequately replaces him and scores just as many as DR did.

KP plenty of heart and character but was a king pin in the failure to get promotion and was part of the shocking defence of last season, based on last seasons performances not a great loss in terms of defence but his leadership we could do with right now.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby gavinbrookes » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:33 pm

Odds for Clough have shortened and he is now favourite.
gavinbrookes
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MOTG » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:40 pm

Just imagine the response Clough or Cook would get if crowds were allowed back .
MOTG
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby one f in mansfield » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:06 pm

sunray wrote:if one f in mansfield:

Disagree.Most players that sign for the stags Would be happy to sign for other clubs under the same terms .They are young men looking for a good wage for doing something they like . Most lower league clubs are stepping stones for players . Ollie Watkins being a perfect example. I would imagine Brentford were not his first choice when leaving Exeter , a decent season there has earned him a move to the premiership and also got an extra payday for Exeter. Brentford have done very nicely out of it too .
All the stags have to do is develop young talents to play along experienced players.In a perfect world some of the home grown players turn in to good lower league players and some get sold to higher league clubs.
one f in mansfield
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:08 pm

geoffhill wrote:Sedgwick there were reasons these two were sold.they went to play at a higher level on a good contract.If they had stayed they could have gone for free.I would have preferred to have kept them but it was good business.

eh? I didn't say anything about this.... I agree you have to sell players when you can before they leave for free
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:39 pm

Big Nige 6/4 favourite again.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Brough » Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:49 pm

Paul Hurst odds improving every day!
Brough
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby KJW STAG » Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:50 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:Big Nige 6/4 favourite again.

Noticed Paul Hurst odds have been slowly coming down ;)
KJW STAG
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Rob » Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:59 pm

pemill wrote:I read on here about getting rid of our best players but as someone has already pointed out they failed, the last few games in the DF era where we only needed a point showed what they were about.

The irony is CJ used to get slated by most despite being played in so many different positions, why would he want to stay at a club where the supporters are so anti against you if you have a bad game.

DR used to get exceptional support despite being bang average, his departure has made no difference, Cook adequately replaces him and scores just as many as DR did.

KP plenty of heart and character but was a king pin in the failure to get promotion and was part of the shocking defence of last season, based on last seasons performances not a great loss in terms of defence but his leadership we could do with right now.

We've gone from promotion challengers to relegation battlers, if it's not due to getting rid of our best players then what has caused this catastrophic fall?
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:01 pm

Rob wrote:
pemill wrote:I read on here about getting rid of our best players but as someone has already pointed out they failed, the last few games in the DF era where we only needed a point showed what they were about.

We've gone from promotion challengers to relegation battlers, if it's not due to getting rid of our best players then what has caused this catastrophic fall?

We were relegation battlers last season Rob, when we still had our ‘best players’. It’s down to two spells of poor management.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:27 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Rob wrote:

We were relegation battlers last season Rob, when we still had our ‘best players’. It’s down to two spells of poor management.

So the players shoulder no responsibility? No doubt about it, this squad is weaker than the one 18 months ago, by some distance.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:32 pm

Rob wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Rob wrote:

So the players shoulder no responsibility? No doubt about it, this squad is weaker than the one 18 months ago, by some distance.

Yes of course, but most of them were still there last season.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby stag324 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:02 pm

Rob wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Rob wrote:

If the manager and players hadn't failed 18 months ago, the squad would be alot stronger today than then.

The reality is, they failed and the Radfords have done what any good business person would and make some money where they can and reduce over heads.

Two seasons of throwing big money about failed due to poor management and players mentality.

It is obviuos this season was keep the squad young with some experience
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:08 pm

New manager has a big big big job on his hands To get us up the table
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:12 pm

tillydog123 wrote:New manager has a big big big job on his hands To get us up the table

Survival is the only thing that matters now.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum