{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Radfords Need To Own This Situation

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Radfords Need To Own This Situation

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:29 am

They have rightly been piled with praise for all their efforts and money that saved the club but they aren’t immune from criticism. The situation we are in is largely down to their mismanagement of the football side leadership at the club.

It’s on record that Carolyn was against sacking Flitcroft and although we can’t turn the clock back and we shouldn’t, the appointment of Dempster was the single appointment that has us where we are now.

They absolutely need to get this next appointment right. I hope the addition of Sharpe will add some sense to the appointment process. It’s vital that the next appointment is the right one.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Re: Radfords Need To Own This Situation

Postby PEAR CIDER » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:34 am

Agree

Not only that, some realistic expectations need to be set to the fans. The new manager being the right one needs time to settle if things don't go to plan for the first season or two.

We just need to build season on season and avoid the drop this year
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:44 am

Chander Lear wrote:Agree

Not only that, some realistic expectations need to be set to the fans. The new manager being the right one needs time to settle if things don't go to plan for the first season or two.

Agree, I think the objective for an incoming manager this season is to avoid a relegation fight or at the very worst win one.

I’m sure the radfords are beating themselves up over the management appointment. It seems the sackings are getting earlier and earlier, we need to get this one right
Jimstag
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:14 am

I agree Belly

The Radford's and the board made the last two appointments and now need to accept their part of the responsibility.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:25 am

kevin kents tasce wrote:I agree Belly

The Radford's and the board made the last two appointments and now need to accept their part of the responsibility.

What a ridiculous but oh so easy, lazy statement to make.

I'm sure they do accept responsibility but how's that gonna change anything, what does it actually mean?

They thought they'd got the right man and they'll think the next ones right too, it's nearly always a gamble at our level isn't it?
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:31 am

Parkinsons Perm wrote:
kevin kents tasce wrote:I agree Belly

What a ridiculous but oh so easy, lazy statement to make.

I'm sure they do accept responsibility but how's that gonna change anything, what does it actually mean?

They thought they'd got the right man and they'll think the next ones right too, it's nearly always a gamble at our level isn't it?

I think they need to look at their recruitment process.

There are managers out there that they probably arnt aware of who are interested and would do a great job.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:34 am

It means that they should probably allow Sharpe to have a lot of influence in who gets the job this time.

The Radford's have been awesome.for the club, but other than Cox, Evans and Flitcroft they have made a lot of bad appointments. Neither they or the board had no experience or contacts within the game.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:36 am

kevin kents tasce wrote:It means that they should probably allow Sharpe to have a lot of influence in who gets the job this time.

The Radford's have been awesome.for the club, but other than Cox, Evans and Flitcroft they have made a lot of bad appointments. Neither they or the board had no experience or contacts within the game.

I do believe they said last night it would be Sharpe finding the right candidate
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:42 am

Any new manager has but one remit this season. It'll be tough with the players in at the moment but 22nd will be fantastic as we are that awful.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:44 am

While I agree the owners should be more meticulous and discerning with their appointments, i think there is also a level of sensibility required by the fans.

Perhaps lauding up Project Promotion is a foolhardy venture by the owners, but as fans it should be a hope, rather than hardline expectation. Imo, as long as we improve each season we are heading in the right direction, even if the promotion we were gunning for hasn't materialised when anticipated.

I believe we fall into a vicious circle of struggling with subpar appointments, only to make promotion an urgent mandatory once someone better comes along. If we appoint a decent replacement I only hope they have more than 1.5 seasons to try and get it right
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:02 am

Of all their appointments only Cox achieved the target set.

Of all their appointments Cox was perhaps the most underwhelming, unless you were a big fan of Eastwood Town.

Dempster & Murray appointments were questioned by fans due to their lack of experience, but there have been loads of excellent rookie managers. Murray I thought did okay under the circumstances, he didn't have much of a budget & he steadied the ship.

Evans, Flitcroft & Clogger were all generally regarded as good appointments by the majority of supporters. I was more optimistic about Clogger as Evans & Flitcroft can't perform without spending a fortune.

Just shows whoever you appoint in football it's a punt.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:11 am

“The process for a new manager is now underway. We will be guided by our chief executive, David Sharpe, and will take the necessary time to ensure that we appoint the right manager for Mansfield Town Football Club.”

This says to me Sharpe has been doing his homework quietly. We will have ideas of managers with the right credentials and the Radfords will listen, im sure they will interview out of a shortlist.

A lot of out of contract players that could do a job on a short term contract if needed. Machlaughin can be gone in Jan also if needed.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:17 am

I'm unsure whether whether they will interview?

Realistically an interview process should take around two weeks I would have thought. This would take us up to what could be a vital game with Scunthorpe on 10/11 and mean that two league games and the FA Cup tie will need a caretaker.

I think we should take our time here, but I imagine it would be very tempting to press that panic button of we lose on Saturday.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:18 am

Agree with the post. They been rash at times and have made some poor appointments. GC on paper was never the proven answers to our problems. More a guy who stepped up and it just clicked. We need either a proven manager who we know will do the business, or if we go with younger/ unproven then it needs to be backed by something exciting. Not just another hard working long ball merchant.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:28 am

This situation is 100% JRs doing.

Totally taken his eyes off what is most important and been sidetracked by vanity projects.

He has spent a lot on our fine old club, but he's not invested. We have no identity. I couldn't tell you what our strategy or plan is to get to L1 and above, or how we aim to become a viable and sustainable business. Once it was to create youth products, then to buy experienced pros, then it was to get other club cast offs, now it's buy young and promising players.

It's not that these strategies don't work, despite none having worked for us, we just don't execute them correctly. Once model / infrastructure is in place, the manager should compliment it.

For me, JR is still in credit, just, but if he masterminds our relegation it will be a serious blot on his record card. Sadly, this season is about survival again now.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:47 am

arsene wengers coat wrote:This situation is 100% JRs doing.

Totally taken his eyes off what is most important and been sidetracked by vanity projects.

He has spent a lot on our fine old club, but he's not invested. We have no identity. I couldn't tell you what our strategy or plan is to get to L1 and above, or how we aim to become a viable and sustainable business. Once it was to create youth products, then to buy experienced pros, then it was to get other club cast offs, now it's buy young and promising players.

It's not that these strategies don't work, despite none having worked for us, we just don't execute them correctly. Once model / infrastructure is in place, the manager should compliment it.

For me, JR is still in credit, just, but if he masterminds our relegation it will be a serious blot on his record card. Sadly, this season is about survival again now.

Couldn't be more wrong if you ask me.... The man knows he cant dedicate all his time to the club, without his other ventures there is no club in its current state. Running it half arsed would show he's taken his eyes off it and thats not the case. Hes the owner yes but he's learnt he may not know it all and has brought in help.

He's also clearly learnt from listening to a board of directors that know nothing about football, hence why we've got David Sharpe in. A man with a good record of running a club through successful periods rather than a rich fan who's bought his way into making big decisions, sorry Steve but its true.

Were now searching and taking time to find the right manager for the club rather than rushing off to grab whoever we like.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:52 am

Jimstag wrote:
Chander Lear wrote:Agree

Agree, I think the objective for an incoming manager this season is to avoid a relegation fight or at the very worst win one.

I’m sure the radfords are beating themselves up over the management appointment. It seems the sackings are getting earlier and earlier, we need to get this one right

Sounds just like when GC took over from Dempster...
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:03 am

Nobody can blame JR and Carolyn for appointing Graham Coughlan as manager. He was 4th in League 1 and had just beaten Ipswich Town away. He had a win rate of 44.64% (P56 W25 D18 L13). Mansfield have never appointed a manager from that high in the league before. The likes of Nathan Jones and Paul Tisdale had also already turned us down.

I would always prefer to interview the best candidates but I think even with interviews GC would probably have got the job. He has the gift of the gab and lots of personality. I think most of us liked him and wanted him to succeed. His post match assessments were probably the most honest of any Stags manager. On paper, he was a very good appointment but it just did not work out. The only quibble would have been his direct playing style but the Cowleys, Steve Evans, Gareth Ainsworth and Keith Curle have all done well with a similar style. He also only had 56 games as a manager under his belt but Richie Wellens, Ryan Lowe, Neal Ardley, Gary Rowett, Paul Tisdale and Nathan Jones were all inexperienced managers.

I liked how GC accepted full responsibility for the situation. Not many managers do that. They will blame the previous manager, players, referees, injuries, bad luck, weather, playing budgets, illness, pandemic, etc.

All the best to Graham and his family for the future. Sometimes it just does not work out for managers and players at certain football clubs. He is still a legend at Plymouth Argyle and Southend fans on social media were saying that they would like him back at Roots Hall.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby smulls » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:07 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Nobody can blame JR and Carolyn for appointing Graham Coughlan as manager. He was 4th in League 1 and had just beaten Ipswich Town away. He had a win rate of 44.64% (P56 W25 D18 L13). Mansfield have never appointed a manager from that high in the league before. The likes of Nathan Jones and Paul Tisdale had also already turned us down.

I would always prefer to interview the best candidates but I think even with interviews GC would probably have got the job. He has the gift of the gab and lots of personality. I think most of us liked him and wanted him to succeed. His post match assessments were probably the most honest of any Stags manager. On paper, he was a very good appointment but it just did not work out. The only quibble would have been his direct playing style but the Cowleys, Steve Evans, Gareth Ainsworth and Keith Curle have all done well with a similar style. He also only had 56 games as a manager under his belt but Richie Wellens, Ryan Lowe, Neal Ardley, Gary Rowett, Paul Tisdale and Nathan Jones were all inexperienced managers.

I liked how GC accepted full responsibility for the situation. Not many managers do that. They will blame the previous manager, players, referees, injuries, bad luck, weather, playing budgets, illness, pandemic, etc.

All the best to Graham and his family for the future. Sometimes it just does not work out for managers and players at certain football clubs. He is still a legend at Plymouth Argyle and Southend fans on social media were saying that they would like him back at Roots Hall.

Seconded, good post!
smulls
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:12 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Nobody can blame JR and Carolyn for appointing Graham Coughlan as manager. He was 4th in League 1 and had just beaten Ipswich Town away. He had a win rate of 44.64% (P56 W25 D18 L13). Mansfield have never appointed a manager from that high in the league before. The likes of Nathan Jones and Paul Tisdale had also already turned us down.

Well said. I liked him as a person. Honest and upfront. Unlike some duplicitous snakes we’ve had here.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby tmwilson » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:38 pm

A lot thought Coughlan was a good signing, me included so I don't think you can really blame Radford for the appointment but I think when GC took over at Rovers, he was in a no lose situation, they were expecting to go down, he did well to keep them up and they were doing well when he came to us. Did he over achieve there. Although Rovers are a bigger club, I think more preasuure was actually on him this time.
After appointing two good managers, Evans and Flitcroft, we then.made one of the biggest mistakes I've seen at the club by giving Dempster the job. We should of, one continued with an experience manager but foremost, gave the job to a manager who had similar tactics to Flitcroft. The players were used to the system and type of play. It was entertaining and brought the fans in. Dempster put us back years.
I liked Flitcroft. Yes we should of gone up but he was unlucky with injuries to key players. Grant disrupted the system but he was played out of position.
We are now in a situation where most won't know what to expect with any new manager and especially the players. Are the players we have good enough and they have a lot more to offer but didn't adapt to GC methods, Or have we already seen their best?
The Radford have to get this one right.
tmwilson
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:02 pm

tmwilson wrote:A lot thought Coughlan was a good signing, me included so I don't think you can really blame Radford for the appointment but I think when GC took over at Rovers, he was in a no lose situation, they were expecting to go down, he did well to keep them up and they were doing well when he came to us. Did he over achieve there. Although Rovers are a bigger club, I think more preasuure was actually on him this time.
After appointing two good managers, Evans and Flitcroft, we then.made one of the biggest mistakes I've seen at the club by giving Dempster the job. We should of, one continued with an experience manager but foremost, gave the job to a manager who had similar tactics to Flitcroft. The players were used to the system and type of play. It was entertaining and brought the fans in. Dempster put us back years.
I liked Flitcroft. Yes we should of gone up but he was unlucky with injuries to key players. Grant disrupted the system but he was played out of position.
We are now in a situation where most won't know what to expect with any new manager and especially the players. Are the players we have good enough and they have a lot more to offer but didn't adapt to GC methods, Or have we already seen their best?
The Radford have to get this one right.

I don’t blame the Radfords for appointing Coughlan. I blame them for the knee jerk sacking and then exacerbating it by appointing Dempster. That was one act of stupidity after an arguable act of petulance

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Sweden Stag » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:39 pm

Some people seem to forget a few things. It's true that we lost key players to injuries at the wrong time. But the ones DF brought in disrupted the system, not only Grant, but also Jones and Ajose. The initial reign of JD was disrupted by injuries and suspensions. So if you lot i.e. read the Stagsnet match report of last season's home fixture against Stevenage early on in which we almost had a whole first team either on the sidelines or suspended. IMO lies the not at all on the Radfords, but more on DF in a few cases, on the EFL for not properly handling the situation at another club which then fought with us regarding promotion. The blame on the EFL also lies in the FACT that the EFL (and the FA) are the only ones in the whole of Europe not using the away goals ruling in playoffs. FACT is also that the refereeing in the playoff game at Newport in the end put us back severely. Did anyone of you watch that particular game? I did and watched officiating on par with i.e. Darren Drysdale at his worst.

So please don't blame the Radford. There are others who right deserve the blame. We could and should have been an established side in League One on the up.
Stockholm, July 4, 2008, 15.00 GMT. Good news came, K.H. gone. March 1, 2012. Ground purchased.
Sweden Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum