{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Would you welcome a female manager as GC's replacement?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Would you welcome a female manager as GC's replacement?

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:37 am

Gazmoose82 wrote:Norman and Spanish stag.
Take the time to read the title of the thread I started and its contents... We are NOT discussing if women's football is a equal standard to the men's game.. Which clearly it isn't so why are coming out with all the crappy comparisons?
Being a manager or coach is not all to do with the standard/level of your exoerience it's about knowledge of tactics/Reading the game, knowing how to lead & more and more the players are needing physiological support (not just an angry shouty bloke who falls out with everyone ie coughlan).
Dempster, palmer & coughlan all had a decent level of footballing experience but we're equally terrible managers for us... Not everything is as black and white as it seems.
Drag yourselves out of the 60's...its 2020.

Load of honk. Women’s football is of a lower standard than National League north at best. So why take a manager from that level. Would you be pleased if we appointed Stalybridge’s manager to run the club ?
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:10 am

You need to seperate the two issues Belly.

I agree that a WSL team would not be able to compete at national League north or south level. Not so much due to the quality of the players, but more due to the physicality of the game.

Coaching is a completely different ball game though. There is nothing at all to say why a female coach is any worse than a male. The only thing preventing them being prominent in the men's game at the moment is sexism.

In respect of coaches coming from the women's game to the men's game. I posted a the other day that Mark Sampson managed Stevenage and is currently coaching thee. He is a previous England women's manager.

I'm pretty sure Phil Neville would get a football league job too.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:25 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:You need to seperate the two issues Belly.

I agree that a WSL team would not be able to compete at national League north or south level. Not so much due to the quality of the players, but more due to the physicality of the game.

Coaching is a completely different ball game though. There is nothing at all to say why a female coach is any worse than a male. The only thing preventing them being prominent in the men's game at the moment is sexism.

In respect of coaches coming from the women's game to the men's game. I posted a the other day that Mark Sampson managed Stevenage and is currently coaching thee. He is a previous England women's manager.

I'm pretty sure Phil Neville would get a football league job too.

I’m not saying they are any less capable but no female is even on the coaching staff at any club in the country at the moment much less managing. I don’t agree that this is the right time for the club to make what would be a massive gamble. I wouldn’t appoint any manager from the WSL irrespective of whether they’ve got a pecker or not.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:14 pm

I agree with that bit Belly. I don't think a female coach should go into management, but it would be great to see some good women coaches on the sidelines as either assistant or in a similar role to McGuire.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby Hjeldefan » Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:48 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
Gazmoose82 wrote:Norman and Spanish stag.
Take the time to read the title of the thread I started and its contents... We are NOT discussing if women's football is a equal standard to the men's game.. Which clearly it isn't so why are coming out with all the crappy comparisons?
Being a manager or coach is not all to do with the standard/level of your exoerience it's about knowledge of tactics/Reading the game, knowing how to lead & more and more the players are needing physiological support (not just an angry shouty bloke who falls out with everyone ie coughlan).
Dempster, palmer & coughlan all had a decent level of footballing experience but we're equally terrible managers for us... Not everything is as black and white as it seems.
Drag yourselves out of the 60's...its 2020.

Load of honk. Women’s football is of a lower standard than National League north at best. So why take a manager from that level. Would you be pleased if we appointed Stalybridge’s manager to run the club ?

Our only manager to win a title in the last few decades previous club was Eastwood. Our worst manager had come from League 1. ;)
Hjeldefan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:03 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:
Norman wrote:
Gazmoose82 wrote:
Hjeldefan wrote:Yes the womens game is a long way behind the mens game but I am not sure how that will affect a manager. Grahame Coughlan and John Dempster both had extensive experience in playing at this level...Fat lot of good it did them. I would much prefer a female manager who has done well and achieved things in the womens game to someone like Gary Caldwell or Sean Derry who have done nothing as a manager.

Agree... We are not talking about women players here who of course are gunna be behind the standard of men's football at the minute.. .. purely the management/coaching side of things which gender should not affect in theory.
Just needs a owner with a backbone to start the ball rolling.

That will never happen . Women’s football is about the standard of schools football!

You’re about as correct as most of your ignorant comments on this forum.

Sorry but it’s true. Women’s football is rubbish.

Opinions hey. Now I’m not saying it’s fantastic but it’s come a long way. There’s just not the depth, but for some on here to call it black and blue and yet they probably can’t kick a ball in anger is laughable!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:11 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:
Norman wrote:
Gazmoose82 wrote:
Hjeldefan wrote:Yes the womens game is a long way behind the mens game but I am not sure how that will affect a manager. Grahame Coughlan and John Dempster both had extensive experience in playing at this level...Fat lot of good it did them. I would much prefer a female manager who has done well and achieved things in the womens game to someone like Gary Caldwell or Sean Derry who have done nothing as a manager.

Agree... We are not talking about women players here who of course are gunna be behind the standard of men's football at the minute.. .. purely the management/coaching side of things which gender should not affect in theory.

That will never happen . Women’s football is about the standard of schools football!

So didn't the women's USA team get beat 5-2 by FC Dallas under 15's then, you know the same USA team that are World Champions.
right
So technically I suppose you're right, the standard of womens football isn't at schoolboy level, it;s worse.

To misquote the great Partridge, women's football = "monkey tennis".
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:29 pm

Big yella wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:
Norman wrote:
Gazmoose82 wrote:

So didn't the women's USA team get beat 5-2 by FC Dallas under 15's then, you know the same USA team that are World Champions.
right
So technically I suppose you're right, the standard of womens football isn't at schoolboy level, it;s worse.

To misquote the great Partridge, women's football = "monkey tennis".

Whoosh :lol:
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:53 pm

Men and Women can’t be compared, even young men are stronger and faster than most women. It’s like comparing Bolt to Florence Griffiths Joyner fgs.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Hjeldefan » Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:21 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:Men and Women can’t be compared, even young men are stronger and faster than most women. It’s like comparing Bolt to Florence Griffiths Joyner fgs.

Well said. Why are people obsessed with this belief that 'better player = better manager'? Amelie Mauresmo coached Andy Murray, but would she have beaten any professional mens players, probably not.
Hjeldefan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby KJW STAG » Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:30 pm

:?: Would a female be allowed in a male changing room :?:
KJW STAG
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby The One » Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:55 pm

KJW STAG wrote::?: Would a female be allowed in a male changing room :?:

Neville was not allowed in England changing room
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Norman » Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:02 pm

Oh no just realised I’ve missed the woman’s FA cup final . Oh dear never mind!
Norman
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby spanishstag » Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:10 pm

Hjeldefan wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:Men and Women can’t be compared, even young men are stronger and faster than most women. It’s like comparing Bolt to Florence Griffiths Joyner fgs.

Well said. Why are people obsessed with this belief that 'better player = better manager'? Amelie Mauresmo coached Andy Murray, but would she have beaten any professional mens players, probably not.

Andy hasn,t won any tournaments since he employed her either
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:31 pm

Norman wrote:Oh no just realised I’ve missed the woman’s FA cup final . Oh dear never mind!

It was a good game. You should’ve seen some of the saves the keepers did especially the Everton keeper. I’d have her in place of Stech any day ;)

Not really
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby one f in mansfield » Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:35 pm

The One wrote:
KJW STAG wrote::?: Would a female be allowed in a male changing room :?:

Neville was not allowed in England changing room

They left it far too late though
Don,t believe everything you read on the internet --William Gladstone 1872
one f in mansfield
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:21 pm

Dan wrote:
Norman wrote:Oh no just realised I’ve missed the woman’s FA cup final . Oh dear never mind!

It was a good game. You should’ve seen some of the saves the keepers did especially the Everton keeper. I’d have her in place of Stech any day ;)

Not really

You’re wasting your breath with him Dan.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Gazmoose82 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:21 pm

Dan wrote:

Not really

Was a pretty decent game... Certainly more entertaining than anything served up by us since last December anyway!.

Also refreshing to see..
Complete respect for the officials.
No cheating/going down like theve been shot.
Gazmoose82
First Team
First Team

Postby Dan » Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:31 am

The referee was the one I mentioned that did the Notts v Maidenhead game the other week.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:23 am

I actually feel the same way about the men's Cup Final now and have done for years. After Rnd 1 I usually lose all interest.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:52 am

Spiritater wrote:

I actually feel the same way about the men's Cup Final now and have done for years. After Rnd 1 I usually lose all interest.

Me too. It’s lost all the magic since they shifted it to 5pm to please international fans. I used to love watching it too especially in the 80’s when coverage would start at 9am and last right up until kick off at 3pm.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:03 am

Dan wrote:
Spiritater wrote:

Me too. It’s lost all the magic since they shifted it to 5pm to please international fans. I used to love watching it too especially in the 80’s when coverage would start at 9am and last right up until kick off at 3pm.

Now is the time to ‘reset’ football and restore those traditions, especially those that ought to be enshrined by the FA. Cup games on Saturdays, 3 pm kick offs etc. Don’t think that those things are on Man Utd’s agenda of a European Super League should they ever qualify for Europe again. :lol: :lol:
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:05 am

Oh, as an aside if we had a female manager would she travel on the team coach or by fake taxi??

Asking for a friend called Chris.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby HU7stag » Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:47 pm

Dan wrote:
Spiritater wrote:

And shown on both the BBC and ITV, which normally meant flicking between the 2 channels for the build up.
HU7stag
Manager
Manager

Postby RudyDude » Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:00 pm

Have any women in football displayed any of the stupid behaviour regularly on show from males in football?

Maybe it's time for women to become football managers to set better examples. Carolyn would surely support that.
BLACK LIVES MATTER so I applaud players 'taking a knee'
RudyDude
First Team
First Team

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum