{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

WHO NEXT THEN - it’s Nigel

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: WHO NEXT THEN

Postby adamstag » Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:23 am

Spiritater wrote:
kevin kents tasce wrote:Absolutely delighted with the appointment and the long term deal (if true).

Let's all do our bit now and rein in the expectations of immediate success.

A couple of seasons to build us up again and then we can go for it!

Immediate success with GC's bunch of misfits isn't going to happen. Success will be to finish the season looking forwards to playing EFL footy next term.
That's Cloughies only remit from me, owt else is a bonus.

Completely agree.

Steer clear of the relegation zone and solidify. If It gives give January and next summer to bin off those he doesn’t want. He’ll have decent contacts in the game too which is a big bonus.

Would be the best appointment in my time of footballing Mansfield (still maintain technically its dearden but we didn’t appoint him from outside the club)
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:29 am

Spiritater wrote:Immediate success with GC's bunch of misfits isn't going to happen. Success will be to finish the season looking forwards to playing EFL footy next term.

I agree that his remit this season is to steer clear of relegation, but I think you are wrong about the players.

I predict that Stech, Rawson, O'Keefe, Maris, Charsley and Clarke all go in to have solid campaigns and possibly form the backbone of next season's squad.

Lapslie has already shown his quality and will continue to do so.

Jury is out on Meneyese, O'Driscoll, Bowery and Reid imo and I think Riley will end up being released.

From the players who were here before Coughlan,

Stone, Sweeney, Benning, Gordon and Cook are good enough to be part of a successful side in This division.

Maynard is still quality, but I think he'll be gone at the end of the year.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:43 am

FGR A
Colchester H
Harrogate H

DECEMBER

Cambridge A
Crawley H
Gimsby A
Carlisle A
Southend H
Scunthorpe A
Salford H

Incredibly tough run of fixtures coming up...

Get a win and a draw in that first three games then I think we can pick up a few points in December. Crucial we beat Southend/Scunthorpe.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby RudyDude » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:15 am

kevin kents tasce wrote:
Spiritater wrote:Immediate success with GC's bunch of misfits isn't going to happen. Success will be to finish the season looking forwards to playing EFL footy next term.

I agree that his remit this season is to steer clear of relegation, but I think you are wrong about the players.

I predict that Stech, Rawson, O'Keefe, Maris, Charsley and Clarke all go in to have solid campaigns and possibly form the backbone of next season's squad.

Lapslie has already shown his quality and will continue to do so.

Jury is out on Meneyese, O'Driscoll, Bowery and Reid imo and I think Riley will end up being released.

From the players who were here before Coughlan,

Stone, Sweeney, Benning, Gordon and Cook are good enough to be part of a successful side in This division.

Maynard is still quality, but I think he'll be gone at the end of the year.

Rather than saying who is not good enough, let's get behind EVERYONE and see what the new manager can do with them, what he can get out of them. Anyone old enough will remember how Nigel's dad often got more out of players who had generally been considered to be not good enough and then got them organised to win the League and the European Cup.

If Nigel's the manager we all seem to think he is, let's give him and the squad both the respect and support, along with the time, to deliver results.

Come On You Stags

:mtfc:
BLACK LIVES MATTER so I applaud players 'taking a knee'
RudyDude
First Team
First Team

Postby zod » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:19 am

gazza1988 wrote:
mansfieldarmy wrote:Being announced tomorrow

Is that a guess or rumour? Not seen anything official on an announcement?

I had it on good authority officially this morning. But looks like East Midlands Today jumped the gun a bit.
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Rob » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:23 am

Sedgwick wrote:FGR A
Colchester H
Harrogate H

DECEMBER

Cambridge A
Crawley H
Gimsby A
Carlisle A
Southend H
Scunthorpe A
Salford H

Get a win and a draw in that first three games then I think we can pick up a few points in December. Crucial we beat Southend/Scunthorpe.

I don't see any of those games as incredibly tough! Salford will be the toughest but this season this division is the weakest since we got back into it. Makes it all the more galling how badly the last two manager's have done.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:30 am

Rob wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:FGR A
Colchester H
Harrogate H

DECEMBER

Cambridge A
Crawley H
Gimsby A
Carlisle A
Southend H
Scunthorpe A
Salford H

I don't see any of those games as incredibly tough! Salford will be the toughest but this season this division is the weakest since we got back into it. Makes it all the more galling how badly the last two manager's have done.

I agree with you tbh, the standard is shocking and teams with confidence seem to have momentum but no real quality.

Newport top and I don't think we were that far off them, deserved to be 1-0 up and a bit of rotten luck gave them a win.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Birminghamstag10 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:50 am

Definitely agree. From the teams we've played so far who are in and around the top end of the table (Newport, Cheltenham and Exeter), none have really shown themselves to be light years ahead of us. The only team who really outplayed us were lowly Barrow.
Birminghamstag10
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:52 am

I think it’s way too early to write this season off too. Anything is possible with a good manager. I don’t think this squad is poor. They’ve just had really bad management. I can’t be bothered to do the math, but let’s say we win 2, draw 1 and lose 1 of every 4 games to come under Nigel, we wouldn’t be far off POs would we? Not impossible!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:39 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:I think it’s way too early to write this season off too. Anything is possible with a good manager. I don’t think this squad is poor. They’ve just had really bad management. I can’t be bothered to do the math, but let’s say we win 2, draw 1 and lose 1 of every 4 games to come under Nigel, we wouldn’t be far off POs would we? Not impossible!!!

Lets just get safe first :D
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:53 pm

Rob wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:I think it’s way too early to write this season off too. Anything is possible with a good manager. I don’t think this squad is poor. They’ve just had really bad management. I can’t be bothered to do the math, but let’s say we win 2, draw 1 and lose 1 of every 4 games to come under Nigel, we wouldn’t be far off POs would we? Not impossible!!!

By doing the above Rob. Why not be a bit more positive. The trouble with us is, we seem to be a glass half full club. The mindset needs changing with this appointment. Unlike Evans who was great but unstable, Clough is great and stable. Yes let’s get to a magic number and be safe, but let’s do it quickly and at least try and push for a top half place and maybe skirt the play offs. We can do it!!!
I need a drink or two now Rob :lol:
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:02 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:
Rob wrote:

By doing the above Rob. Why not be a bit more positive. The trouble with us is, we seem to be a glass half full club. The mindset needs changing with this appointment. Unlike Evans who was great but unstable, Clough is great and stable. Yes let’s get to a magic number and be safe, but let’s do it quickly and at least try and push for a top half place and maybe skirt the play offs. We can do it!!!

I've been a Stags fan far too long to be an optimist, I think after the Bristol City game my only remaining optimism gene legged it down Quarry Lane. . Every season I start by thinking let's get 45 points and take it from there :lol: I'll be toasting Cloughie tonight, jnr & snr, let's hope good times are around the corner, the town, our fans and the Radfords deserve it.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:12 pm

I want to get excited about a possible promotion this season but we've had a horrific start.

We've done something similar before. Weren't we in a similar position under Paul Cox same as Kidderminster and it was between us and Kiddie towards the end of the season. There's 105 points still to play for so not out of the realms of possibility.

Our highest points total since returning to the league is 76. We need 69 points from 35 games. Which is a touch over 1.5 points a game. This equates to 23 more wins. Not ubgward of but improbable.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:23 pm

Rob wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:
Rob wrote:

I've been a Stags fan far too long to be an optimist, I think after the Bristol City game my only remaining optimism gene legged it down Quarry Lane. . Every season I start by thinking let's get 45 points and take it from there :lol: I'll be toasting Cloughie tonight, jnr & snr, let's hope good times are around the corner, the town, our fans and the Radfords deserve it.

You just had to bring up that Bristol City game :lol:
I only think of the one at Wembley :P
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:25 pm

gazza1988 wrote:I want to get excited about a possible promotion this season but we've had a horrific start.

We've done something similar before. Weren't we in a similar position under Paul Cox same as Kidderminster and it was between us and Kiddie towards the end of the season. There's 105 points still to play for so not out of the realms of possibility.

Our highest points total since returning to the league is 76. We need 69 points from 35 games. Which is a touch over 1.5 points a game. This equates to 23 more wins. Not ubgward of but improbable.

It’s very improbable but like you say not impossible. To quote Holmes:

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:20 pm

Rob wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:
Rob wrote:

I had to leave before the end of the Bristol City game and went safely in the knowledge that we were 4-2 up, even though we were down to 10 men. I heard a goal go in as I ran down Quarry Lane to my car but didn't worry too much, switched on the radio to find out it was 4-3, then came the equaliser. Driving back to Sutton thinking we at least had a point, then just as the lights changed to green at New Cross, goal 5 went in. Cost me a couple of quid in frustrated tyre rubber !!
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Re: WHO NEXT THEN - it’s Nigel

Postby Rob » Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:43 pm

You'd have missed my last trace of optimism legging it down Quarry Lane Dave. I have never felt so bad after a game in my life, not even relegation or play-off defeats felt quite like that.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:35 pm

The mear menshun off te@ BRRRRRitol game efects me grately. i find it dificult to consecrate in wat i'm doing. t'is abit lie the scotish play too actors.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby HU7stag » Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:47 pm

Really pleased with the appointment of Mr Clough and looking forward to see how he/we progress over the years.

:mtfc:
HU7stag
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:55 pm

broomo wrote:Could be a long first post for something that may not happen.

I think it has a chance first and foremost because your Chairman has a reputation for being good to work with and that's an important factor in Nigel Clough's thinking.

Just to put a bit of meat on the bones for those who say he takes too long.

The revolution at Burton began immediately, in his first two seasons he was runners up in the Southern League with record points for a 2nd placed side.

The second year they were pipped by Fatty Evans at Boston who it turned out had been massively cheating.

Year 3 he was promoted, again with record points and record goals.

They then played in the Conference as the only part time club, training twice a week, while they built the Pirelli.

Once they drew Man Utd in the cup they went full time and finished 7th, 5th (beaten by Cambridge in the p/o semis) and the next season they were top and clear by 13 points winning a record 12 games on the spin.

At Derby he cut the wage bill from 38 million to just under 10 million and built a squad capable of pushing for the play offs despite having to generate his own transfer budget.

10 of the 11 who started the p/o final were his signings and the 11th, Craig Bryson was stupidly left out.

At Sheff Utd, he took them from 3rd bottom to 7th and an FA Cup semi in his first half season and then finished 5th and got them to a league cup semi in his 2nd. They had the 4th highest budget in League One but a lot of that budget came from cup runs and the Harry Maguire sale to Hull. He also signed Che Adams from Ilkeston for 250k and Adams on his own made a profit on all of his transfer dealings.

He then took over at Burton and despite the myth that he only just crept over the line, they were only ever out of the top 2 for one week and were a gnats chuff away from besting Wigan which would have seen them go up as Champs.

He then survived a season in the Championship despite having by far the lowest budget.

What can you expect if he comes?

First of all he'll simplify the instructions to the players, they'll be in no doubt what their jobs are and if they don't follow instructions they won't last long.

Anyone from the academy who shows signs of promise should be licking their lips. They WILL be given an opportunity. He puts huge trust in the young lads.

He'll sign players you've never heard of and who will probably leave you underwhelmed at first but who will then win player of the season.

He'll freeze out one or two who will have you scratching your head but he'll have done it for a reason.

He'll have you playing pragmatic football at first until or unless you already have the players here to play one and two touch pass and move football.

He'll eventually build a side that has a centre forward who can hold the ball and bring others into the game, there'll be at least one central midfield runner who bombs on and gets double figures goals wise.

He'll build a squad of good characters and he'll do it for buttons.

He'll turn around the career of someone in the squad who is already here and us under rated.

There will be cup upsets, his record when playing teams from a higher level us unreal. He takes every game seriously and expects the players to so the same. 3 major cup semi finals as a League One side shows that.

The Academy will produce talent but that talent will need to be sold until you're at a certain level.

He'll build a side and a team you can be proud of.

IF he comes I'll never be off this place. If he doesn't then I wish you all the best anyway.

COYS ;-)

With Akins joining I think it's very close to stage one job done!!

Proper excited to see how far this squad can go.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:38 am

As first posts go Broomo, that one was pretty good and a large percentage of it has come true.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Stag95 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:44 am

Basically everything you’ve said about Clough there was absolutely spot on, fair play!!
Stag95
Manager
Manager

Postby old ram stag » Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:52 am

Broomo what a great first post that was and thanks for your insight, clough really has given this club its mojo back.
old ram stag
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:17 am

Spot on Broomo! It's been great reading your post about Nigel on here!
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby MOTG » Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:05 am

old ram stag wrote:Broomo what a great first post that was and thanks for your insight, clough really has given this club its mojo back.

In Broomo we trust
MOTG
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum