{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

WHO NEXT THEN - it’s Nigel

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: WHO NEXT THEN - it’s Nigel

Postby yellowstagsfan » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:36 am

MTFCMusings wrote:As first posts go Broomo, that one was pretty good and a large percentage of it has come true.

Echo that and enjoyed the book
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:56 pm

I like to read Broomo's posts.He certainly knows how Nigel goes about building a squad.Our squad is the best it has been since the Lawrence Greenacre days.Akins looks to be the final piece in the jigsaw.Iwatched his interviews and he came across very well.The Burton fans rate him very highly and wish him all the best.I assume he will take Bowerys place.Looking forward to seeing him in a stags shirt.All the doubters on this site will now surely keep quiet.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:07 pm

Certainly the O'Keefe situation reflects in Broomo's first post.

Iv'e found the vast majority of your posts Broomo, interesting. Long may they continue.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby essexstags » Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:36 pm

Spot on Broomo, a great read. 14-15 months down the line it looks incredibly well informed and accurate. It all feels like it is really taking shape at the moment. COYS
Scored in front of the North Stand in April 1993. I was a Mascot but they all count.
essexstags
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Dan » Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:54 pm

Hope you’ve got the lottery numbers on tonight mate!
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:13 pm

Akins certainly did his part to join Mansfield two transfer requests, and im so pleased Burton let him go and the fans certainly thought a lot of him.
Looking forward to a new chapter in his career and he ticks a lot of boxes,
Broomo enjoyed the book but it shows human nature at it worse, well done for putting it out there.
Still expect Forrester back, but at the moment a happy teddy
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Re: WHO NEXT THEN

Postby broomo » Fri May 19, 2023 7:07 pm

broomo wrote:Could be a long first post for something that may not happen.

I think it has a chance first and foremost because your Chairman has a reputation for being good to work with and that's an important factor in Nigel Clough's thinking.

Just to put a bit of meat on the bones for those who say he takes too long.

The revolution at Burton began immediately, in his first two seasons he was runners up in the Southern League with record points for a 2nd placed side.

The second year they were pipped by Fatty Evans at Boston who it turned out had been massively cheating.

Year 3 he was promoted, again with record points and record goals.

They then played in the Conference as the only part time club, training twice a week, while they built the Pirelli.

Once they drew Man Utd in the cup they went full time and finished 7th, 5th (beaten by Cambridge in the p/o semis) and the next season they were top and clear by 13 points winning a record 12 games on the spin.

At Derby he cut the wage bill from 38 million to just under 10 million and built a squad capable of pushing for the play offs despite having to generate his own transfer budget.

10 of the 11 who started the p/o final were his signings and the 11th, Craig Bryson was stupidly left out.

At Sheff Utd, he took them from 3rd bottom to 7th and an FA Cup semi in his first half season and then finished 5th and got them to a league cup semi in his 2nd. They had the 4th highest budget in League One but a lot of that budget came from cup runs and the Harry Maguire sale to Hull. He also signed Che Adams from Ilkeston for 250k and Adams on his own made a profit on all of his transfer dealings.

He then took over at Burton and despite the myth that he only just crept over the line, they were only ever out of the top 2 for one week and were a gnats chuff away from besting Wigan which would have seen them go up as Champs.

He then survived a season in the Championship despite having by far the lowest budget.

What can you expect if he comes?

First of all he'll simplify the instructions to the players, they'll be in no doubt what their jobs are and if they don't follow instructions they won't last long.

Anyone from the academy who shows signs of promise should be licking their lips. They WILL be given an opportunity. He puts huge trust in the young lads.

He'll sign players you've never heard of and who will probably leave you underwhelmed at first but who will then win player of the season.

He'll freeze out one or two who will have you scratching your head but he'll have done it for a reason.

He'll have you playing pragmatic football at first until or unless you already have the players here to play one and two touch pass and move football.

He'll eventually build a side that has a centre forward who can hold the ball and bring others into the game, there'll be at least one central midfield runner who bombs on and gets double figures goals wise.

He'll build a squad of good characters and he'll do it for buttons.

He'll turn around the career of someone in the squad who is already here and us under rated.

There will be cup upsets, his record when playing teams from a higher level us unreal. He takes every game seriously and expects the players to so the same. 3 major cup semi finals as a League One side shows that.

The Academy will produce talent but that talent will need to be sold until you're at a certain level.

He'll build a side and a team you can be proud of.

IF he comes I'll never be off this place. If he doesn't then I wish you all the best anyway.

COYS ;-)

I'm bumping this mainly for the question on the other thread where I was asked how I thought Nigel would set up next season.

I think it goes some way to highlighting I do understand his management style after 25 seasons of obsessively watching him at work.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Re: WHO NEXT THEN

Postby adamstag » Fri May 19, 2023 7:47 pm

StagsFan83 wrote:Not Nigel Fluff please, did well with Burton over a very long period of time but ya Stags fans haven’t the patience for that.

Paul Cook is the dream...

Also would like to see who applies.

Didn’t age well :lol:
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Fri May 19, 2023 7:49 pm

They both fluffed it :D
Dan
Manager
Manager