{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

GC gone

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: GC gone

Postby Captain Cunno » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:09 am

Although Cook would be excellent and would take him in a heart beat he may struggle with this set of players
He would've been ideal to take over from DF with the type of side we had then.

I think the sensible appointment would be Clough , a good solid no nonsense experienced manager that could get this type of side well organised and push us up the league.....

Thing is would either even want the job...?
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby yellowstagsfan » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:14 am

Rob wrote:17 months on from the sacking of DF and we will shortly be on our 3rd manager since, gone well annit? When you are MTFC you don't ever sack a manager for finishing 4th, it is too stupid for words.

Good luck to GC in his next role, we should all be sad it hasn't worked out for him. As for who next, if it is Evans then I'm done for as long as he is here (ie until he gets a better offer), it won't be that odious scumbag, nor will it be any of our previous managers. I'd love it to be Paul Cook, his teams play proper football, the sort you want to watch. I'd also be delighted, and stunned, if we could persuade the Cowleys to make us their next "project". Ultimately what we really need is some sort of stability, you just cannot go on changing your squad every 6 months and expect success. The new manager gets a freebie really, time to assess his squad, a transfer window and really the only objective 22nd or higher.

Good Post !
I said after the dismissal of David Flitcroft that we were heading in the same direction as County, hiring and firing. You don’t fire a manager after missing out on promotion by one point. You allow him to start the following season and if things don’t start well you then make a decision. This is all history now but think JR has been badly advised in his last two appointments. I really hope that David Sharpe is up to the job and comes good. The next appointment is critical to the future of the club.
To slump from what we had 4th to 20th to 22nd in 18 months is inexcusable
The job must be advertised to see what decent available candidates there are, who are interested in coming here. No need to go chasing managers and paying unnecessary compensation to clubs. This is an attractive place to work with good facilities and under good ambitious owners. Please get it right this time John Carolyn David and the board !
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:24 am

The One wrote:
Rob wrote:17 months on from the sacking of DF and we will shortly be on our 3rd manager since, gone well annit? When you are MTFC you don't ever sack a manager for finishing 4th, it is too stupid for words.

Good luck to GC in his next role, we should all be sad it hasn't worked out for him. As for who next, if it is Evans then I'm done for as long as he is here (ie until he gets a better offer), it won't be that odious scumbag, nor will it be any of our previous managers. I'd love it to be Paul Cook, his teams play proper football, the sort you want to watch. I'd also be delighted, and stunned, if we could persuade the Cowleys to make us their next "project". Ultimately what we really need is some sort of stability, you just cannot go on changing your squad every 6 months and expect success. The new manager gets a freebie really, time to assess his squad, a transfer window and really the only objective 22nd or higher.

We are following County model, that worked well, keep sacking managers

Whats Nolan doing ?
I don't like this constant sacking of managers. However, do you keep someone who is clearly not up to his remit?

GC worked hard and tried to get the club moving forward. I'm sure he tried his best.

The last two management appointments have been poor. Neither had the qualities to get the best out of the resources given to them.

Hopefully the CEO will have the experience and knowledge to appoint someone who can maximise what he is given.

We start at a low base and things will not get much better overnight. It will take a special person to get it moving in the right direction.

A lot of names have been mentioned on here. That is understandable by the nature of these forums. Personally I hope the club don't go headhunting again. Certainly not for someone already at a club.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:28 am

Tricky one that Andy. But the only other option is somebody who has been sacked ,usually for failure .
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:39 am

daddycool wrote:Tricky one that Andy. But the only other option is somebody who has been sacked ,usually for failure .

Unless you gamble and go for a young coach in non league like Lincoln did with the Cowleys.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:49 am

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but the sacking of DF was a bad decision, you can add to that the experienced players, sorry fans favourites, the likes of Pearce, Rose, McDonald, Benning for instance are the ones who got DF the sack because they bottled it, and didn't 'play' for Dempster or Coughlan last season - don't think for a minute it would be any different now.

On paper this group of players should be challenging higher up the table, I was certainly impressed with the squad that was assembled by GC as I'm sure most of us were, Bowery excepted maybe.

In my opinion part of GC's downfall was his insistence to stick with a style that wasn't working and alien to the players he has, I'm not saying we should have been playing 4-4-2 but the 3 at the back hasn't worked.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:00 am

I don't think you can say impressed with the squad assembled . The goalkeeper looks a nervous wreck . Not helped by a back 3 with no leadership , lack of tactical nous and frankly not being good enough . Wing backs that get caught between the ability to defend and being ineffectual going forwards . Back 5 plus keeper have been very poor , hence Barrow bagging four .
In my opinion we have better prospects further up the park . Clarke when fit , Lapsle and Charsley may have something if it's channelled by the right manager and as others have said ( and most of us have cried out for ) Cook and Maynard with the right service will be a real threat at this level .
There is a squad to work with if the defence can be sorted .
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:03 am

Ironic how he finally plays Cook and Maynard together and it clearly didn’t work. Maybe that’s why he hadn’t been doing it before?
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Ste_collins1 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:01 am

Dan wrote:Ironic how he finally plays Cook and Maynard together and it clearly didn’t work. Maybe that’s why he hadn’t been doing it before?

Ronaldo & Messi wouldn’t work with the squad we have.
Ste_collins1
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby MOTG » Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:32 pm

GC Bookies favourite for the Port Vale Job
MOTG
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Gazmoose82 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:55 pm

MOTG wrote:GC Bookies favourite for the Port Vale Job

God help them :lol:
Biggest fraud seen at the mill for years!
Gazmoose82
First Team
First Team

Postby Rob » Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:40 pm

Gazmoose82 wrote:

Rubbish, it didn't work out for him here but he did a great job at Rovers. If he gets the job good luck to him except when they play us of course. Evan's, now there's a fraud!
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:50 pm

He clearly knows how to recruit players also, judging by our current form. Bar Mayo
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby wardy12345 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:13 pm

I know a few vale fans and they will be singing him out after 20min
wardy12345
First Team
First Team

Postby Billy the fish » Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:27 pm

Rob wrote:
Gazmoose82 wrote:

Rubbish, it didn't work out for him here but he did a great job at Rovers. If he gets the job good luck to him except when they play us of course. Evan's, now there's a fraud!

Come on Rob you can’t compare the two GC has done nothing in football management apart from keep Brizzle up he was beyond hopeless for us. Evans love or hate him has promotions on his CV he’s had his day Granted and hopefully Gillingham will be his last gig in League football.
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:02 pm

Evans did the same job here that Coughlan did at Bristol Rovers. Almost indentical, apart from Coughlan didn’t need a massive budget.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby HitchcocksShins » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:30 pm

Surely not :lol: surely their new owners would want to inspire a bit more hope than that fraudster, especially so soon after his gargantuan failure here. What could be possibly blame it on other than himself?
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:21 pm

They only have to look at what the same group of players have achieved since he left to realise where the blame lay. Even Coops (no disrespect to him) had them drawing two and Winning at Sunderland immediately after he left simply by tweaking the system. If they appoint Coughlan they deserve to go down just for the sheer stupidity of the act.
Last edited by Sandy Pate Best Stag on Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:41 pm

It'll be his turd club in 18months
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:39 am

MTFCMusings wrote:Evans did the same job here that Coughlan did at Bristol Rovers. Almost indentical, apart from Coughlan didn’t need a massive budget.

That's not almost identical then, Rovers had one of the smallest budgets in the league, we had one of the biggest :lol:

For whatever reason it did not work out for Coughlan here and it was clearly right to sack him but the reason we appointed him was because of the outstanding job he did at Rovers and I suspect that is what Vale are taking into account. If he gets the job it will be interesting to see how he gets on, no vitriol towards him from me.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:42 am

Rob wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:Evans did the same job here that Coughlan did at Bristol Rovers. Almost indentical, apart from Coughlan didn’t need a massive budget.

That's not almost identical then, Rovers had one of the smallest budgets in the league, we had one of the biggest :lol:

For whatever reason it did not work out for Coughlan here and it was clearly right to sack him but the reason we appointed him was because of the outstanding job he did at Rovers and I suspect that is what Vale are taking into account. If he gets the job it will be interesting to see how he gets on, no vitriol towards him from me.

In terms of stabilising the club and leaving the club in a higher position, without actually achieving anything, over a similar time span, and leaving the clubs on bad terms, and as I said, with a much lower budget. I was agree with your constant point on Evans.

As I said, the job they did was the same, on contrasting resources.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:23 pm

Good luck to Coughlan.

He built a decent squad here, but for whatever reason couldn’t get the results. I bet he lowered the wage bill too.

He fully deserves another crack at management after the job he did at Rovers. Port Vale will be ok for his family life too. I wish him well.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum