{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Southend United

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Southend United

Postby adamstag » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:23 pm

I am Spartacus wrote:In other EFL news, Norman Smurthwaite formerly of the parish of Port Vale has had two bids turned down by the administrators of Wigan.

Tell me again how he would be considered a fit and proper person after how it ended at Port Vale?

Oh, and two players are no longer involved in the Oldham first team after falling out with the manager and owner. The next Macclesfield / Bury could be a close run thing between Oldham and Southend.

Thank god for JR.

The root problem is the EFL, they’re not fit for purpose
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:16 pm

SOUTHEND United have reduced their wage bill by £1.7million from £2.8 million to £1.1 million since the start of last season.

The Shrimpers started the previous campaign paying £2.8million to their squad. The minutes from Chairman Ron Martin's meeting with supporters revealed that the drop from League One to League Two had impacted the wages paid to players, with most having a 50 per cent pay cut. Martin also streamlined the wage bill by releasing some of the higher paid players (such as Cox, Kiernan, Ridgewell, Kightly) and the total wage bill has been reduced from £2.8million at the beginning of last season and reduced to £2.2m at the end of last season and currently stands at £1.1million this season, which will greatly assist cash flow. This will increase as a result of current negotiations and further signings, and of course we have to stay within a cap of £ 1.5m which includes related fees and costs.

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/18759 ... -7million/?
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:19 pm

Latest Update on Southend United Winding Up Petition, Transfer Embargo, Playing Budget, Agents' Fees, New Ground etc from Chairman, Ron Martin, at meeting with fans.

HMRC debt will be paid by 28th October from monies to be released next week by Lloyds and money from his own pocket.

There are a number of clubs in the EFL who have had the same issue with Lloyds at present holding on to funds. Lloyds are doing this as they are concerned that should fans request call back of payments made on credit/debit cards, Lloyds would have to process these and could be out of pocket if they are unable to recoup the money back from the football clubs. Originally funding would be released on a game by game basis, but due to the delays on fans returning, Lloyds had wanted to delay payment until fans return and the revenue stream is up and running again. However it has been agreed that the money will be released to Southend in tranches. The first being next week, a further tranche around November time and the rest in Q1 next year.

There is also hope that an EFL rescue package will be communicated in the next few weeks to help out all lower league clubs.

Relegation from League One to League Two had impacted the wages available to players, with most having a 50 per cent pay cut. He has also streamlined the wage bill by releasing some of the higher paid players (such as Cox, Kiernan, Ridgewell, Kightly) and the total wage bill has been reduced from £2.8million at the beginning of last season and reduced to £2.2m at the end of last season and currently stands at £1.1million this season, which will greatly assist cash flow.

Not concerned about transfer embargo. The transfer embargo limit of 23 is not an issue as they are simply bring in players at the top end, and release them from the bottom end. Therefore there is no immediate gain from having embargo lifted.

Short term contracts were sometimes preferable as opposed to longer contracts for players, who usually through injury have very little game time.

Southend had turned down a £400,000 offer for Charlie Kelman from Spurs and also turned down a proposal for Elvis Bwomono on New Years Eve. Nile Ranger will NOT be returning to the club.

Southend have paid too much in agents fees. However this is seen as being a good investment. By paying the agent more, you build longstanding relationships and you are more likely to get the player you want.

Construction of new stadium will be underway in around nine months from planning approval, with approximately a six year completion time frame for the enabling residential development of the stadium. The stadium itself would take about a year to build with the initial three sides being built first and the fourth stand to be built further down the line.
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:35 pm

My eyes ache
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Sweden Stag » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:32 am

EFL are definitely unfit.
Stockholm, July 4, 2008, 15.00 GMT. Good news came, K.H. gone. March 1, 2012. Ground purchased.
Sweden Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:05 pm

Southend United chairman Ron Martin has been unable to guarantee the club will pay off their outstanding debt to HMRC next week. The Blues owe close to £500,000 and are back in court next Wednesday.

In a question and answer session with supporters, Martin was asked if he had the funds in an account right now and could guarantee that HMRC would be repaid so the case would be dismissed. Martin replied: “If the club had the funds it would discharge the debt to HMRC. The club does not have an overdraft.” Martin added the club, who sit bottom of League Two, have not received any financial help from the English Football League, the Football Association, the Premier League or the Players Football Association during the coronavirus pandemic. But he added the club were doing all they could to pay off their debts. "We are working hard to discharge the tax bill,” said Martin. “But nobody underestimates the challenges in football as a result of Covid.”

However, Martin was also keen to explain how the debt had built up. “In many respects it is that drive for success and lack of reward for the investment that has contributed to the current debt with HMRC,” said Martin. “I do not think any chairman should be criticised for being ambitious for a football club and no doubt there would be moans if I was not wanting Southend United to succeed and of course I do.”
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:23 am

Statement from Southend United Chairman, Ron Martin

"Losing a game of football happens. None of us are ever happy and with no wins so far each weekend becomes more miserable. Losing a match is bad enough, but losing the faith is far worse. In times like this we need to stick together.

As chairman the buck stops with me and I am the target of supporters’ moans. Whilst I, of course, don’t like it I have to accept that. However I am not the enemy; quite the opposite I am as despondent (probably more so) than each and every fan when we lose. It has to be understood we are in a rebuilding phase. That has meant a massive “clear out” of people who do not share our work ethic. I don’t want to be critical but this includes managers whose recruitment was both expensive and poor. Of course I ultimately sanctioned the signings ... yes knowing the cost but reliant on the manager as to the players quality and what they would contribute to our club’s success. Too many failed to live up to expectation and it is they that have been “cleared out” along with a couple of managers. That is not saying those managers didn’t mean well ... I am sure they did, but did they truly drill down to know the players we were committing too. Not only did the club not get the rewards from those investments it has been expensive to remedy the mistakes. I could have said no to the signings but in football the chairman ultimately backs or sacks the manager. It is not as black and white as that but when push comes to shove decisions have to be made.

Right now as a club we should be pulling together ... moans and groans will not achieve what we all crave; success on the pitch. Off the pitch life is tough for us all. Football has been hit all ways round. For us, in addition to no fans, season cards and sponsorship we have had to discharge the legacy of the past. In July we were told that a “rescue package” for EFL clubs would be in place “within a couple of weeks”. This was the understanding when agreeing a restart of the season on September 12th. Nothing has yet happened and it doesn’t appear imminent. As you many of you would have read, the EFL, PL together with the “big six” clubs are trying to find a way forward. Football finances, as a result of Covid-19, has brought into very sharp focus a need for a “re-set”. In short a fairer distribution of media revenues throughout the pyramid. I think we shall get there but it may be too late for some clubs if it drags on. There have been continual discussion with the government to aid the football industry. With £1.5 billion going to Arts, Culture & Heritage one could be forgiven for asking how does that exclude football. clubs throughout the country are at the very heart of a town’s culture. Football clubs are characterised by their history ... traditions handed down through generations, a true Heritage. As for Art ... well maybe we are not seeing that at Roots Hall right now, but we will.

Until the EFL, PL, “Big Six” or the Government find a solution to a “re-set” your club will continue to be supported, financially, through these challenging times. Hopefully we’ll have you back with us to cheer Mark Molesley and our honest group of players, who are working hard to turn things around, very very soon; We Need You !"
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:35 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Statement from Southend United Chairman, Ron Martin

"Losing a game of football happens. None of us are ever happy and with no wins so far each weekend becomes more miserable. Losing a match is bad enough, but losing the faith is far worse. In times like this we need to stick together.

As chairman the buck stops with me and I am the target of supporters’ moans. Whilst I, of course, don’t like it I have to accept that. However I am not the enemy; quite the opposite I am as despondent (probably more so) than each and every fan when we lose. It has to be understood we are in a rebuilding phase. That has meant a massive “clear out” of people who do not share our work ethic. I don’t want to be critical but this includes managers whose recruitment was both expensive and poor. Of course I ultimately sanctioned the signings ... yes knowing the cost but reliant on the manager as to the players quality and what they would contribute to our club’s success. Too many failed to live up to expectation and it is they that have been “cleared out” along with a couple of managers. That is not saying those managers didn’t mean well ... I am sure they did, but did they truly drill down to know the players we were committing too. Not only did the club not get the rewards from those investments it has been expensive to remedy the mistakes. I could have said no to the signings but in football the chairman ultimately backs or sacks the manager. It is not as black and white as that but when push comes to shove decisions have to be made.

Right now as a club we should be pulling together ... moans and groans will not achieve what we all crave; success on the pitch. Off the pitch life is tough for us all. Football has been hit all ways round. For us, in addition to no fans, season cards and sponsorship we have had to discharge the legacy of the past. In July we were told that a “rescue package” for EFL clubs would be in place “within a couple of weeks”. This was the understanding when agreeing a restart of the season on September 12th. Nothing has yet happened and it doesn’t appear imminent. As you many of you would have read, the EFL, PL together with the “big six” clubs are trying to find a way forward. Football finances, as a result of Covid-19, has brought into very sharp focus a need for a “re-set”. In short a fairer distribution of media revenues throughout the pyramid. I think we shall get there but it may be too late for some clubs if it drags on. There have been continual discussion with the government to aid the football industry. With £1.5 billion going to Arts, Culture & Heritage one could be forgiven for asking how does that exclude football. clubs throughout the country are at the very heart of a town’s culture. Football clubs are characterised by their history ... traditions handed down through generations, a true Heritage. As for Art ... well maybe we are not seeing that at Roots Hall right now, but we will.

Until the EFL, PL, “Big Six” or the Government find a solution to a “re-set” your club will continue to be supported, financially, through these challenging times. Hopefully we’ll have you back with us to cheer Mark Molesley and our honest group of players, who are working hard to turn things around, very very soon; We Need You !"

Some good sentiments in there. Also a good point around promises of imminent payment packages to get the season under way.

It also sounds like the man has a plan to get the club back on track which should serve as a warning to us to get the finger out as they may not be nailed on for a relegation place.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:32 pm

I know the current circumstances are different to anything that has gone before, but it never ceases to amaze me how many clubs end up in a position of being massively in debt to HMRC.
This is just poor financial management as it is not rocket science to have an ongoing estimated calculation of the amount due and make sure that money is set aside throughout the year.
It's not as if they don't know the payments need to be made and on what date.
You often see this with self employed people who say things like "I was hit with a massive tax bill and it wiped me out". They submit a return at the same time every year so it shouldn't really come as that much of a shock to them.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:10 pm

The Southend chairman owed tax before COVID-19, he has always used HMRC as a bank overdraft.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:37 pm

I think they’re deep in the brown stuff. Their mismanagement predates the virus
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:13 pm

The Southend Chairman, who is a Property Developer, stood to clear Southend’s debts by selling the ground, building a ‘Lego type Stadium’ elsewhere and building houses on Roots Hall. He was hoping that Southend got £500k as part of the Covid bailout. This would have been used to pay the taxman and then buy the ‘development / club’ more time by not paying other creditors until such time as the development kicked off and generates income.

This is not Covid related, this is pure business opportunism. The millions he has poured into Southend has been in the form of loans which no doubt would be redeemable upon the development being successful.

This is not the fault of the Southend Fans, the Chinese fellas eating bats (allegedly) or the tax man. But another opportunist businessman, a sort of Haslam / Steve Dale hybrid and poor governance on the part of the EFL.

The questions that must be answered are what was Rick Parry working on in the last couple of years, saving clubs and the EFL framework or selling us down the river using Project Big Picture and more importantly why hasn’t he resigned yet?
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:23 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Of course I ultimately sanctioned the signings ... yes knowing the cost but reliant on the manager as to the players quality and what they would contribute to our club’s success. Too many failed to live up to expectation and it is they that have been “cleared out”... That is not saying those managers didn’t mean well ... I am sure they did, but did they truly drill down to know the players we were committing too.

JR could probably say this about the likes of Yoann Arquin, Jimmy Spencer, Calum Butcher, Paul Anderson, Paul Digby, Zander Diamond, David Mirfin, Omari Sterling-James, Craig Davies, Otis Khan, Nicky Ajose, Willem Tomlinson, Kellan Gordon, Dion Donohue, Oladope Afalayan, Joe Riley, Jack Evans.........and Jordan Bowery :lol:
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:19 am

Bad news .......Southend United have paid off their £493,991 debt to HMRC and the winding up petition has been dismissed.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:21 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Bad news .......Southend United have paid off their £493,991 debt to HMRC and the winding up petition has been dismissed.

They are still rubbish on the pitch though..................... but then again, so are we.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:38 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Bad news .......Southend United have paid off their £493,991 debt to HMRC and the winding up petition has been dismissed.

They are still rubbish on the pitch though..................... but then again, so are we.

And they still have the same manager after no wins in 9.
Will be interesting to see what difference it makes in the the next few games.

I'm half pleased for them.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:31 pm

chip63 wrote:

I'm pleased for them too.

Its getting embarrassing relying on other clubs to go under to save ourselves.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:01 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
chip63 wrote:

I'm pleased for them too.

Its getting embarrassing relying on other clubs to go under to save ourselves.

Well said Andy. No football fan should want another club to go bust under any circumstances.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:04 pm

Nobody wants another club to go bust but if we need to win the AGM Cup to stay in the EFL then I will take it. I think we are owed one after the Bury fiasco.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:06 pm

chip63 wrote:

No club should go out of business, very sad its allowed to happen. I do think they will go down though.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:37 am

Southend United fans locked the team out of Roots Hall and threw eggs at the coach when they returned from their 6-1 defeat at Col U.

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/188625 ... er-united/
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:28 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Southend United fans locked the team out of Roots Hall and threw eggs at the coach when they returned from their 6-1 defeat at Col U.

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/188625 ... er-united/

Was there a scramble to the exits?
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:48 pm

The whole club is a massive yolk
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:58 pm

That will take some beating!
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:00 pm

Did they have to shell out to get back in?
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum