{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Congratulations Harrogate Town + New pitch and stand.

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Congratulations Harrogate Town + New pitch and stand.

Postby Rob » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:41 pm

I agree a good grass pitch is better than 4G, that isn't the point though. Would you rather have your club survive and play on 4G than potentially go bust? It may not be a question for us right now, but other clubs less fortunate are right on the edge. It's a financial decision thousands of other professional clubs have made. The benefits, for me, outweigh the negatives. I watched a lot of Dutch football on 4G and after a while didn't even notice it wasn't grass and pretty much all local football is played on 4G, not the dogdo riddled mud baths our amateur players suffer.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:22 pm

spanishstag wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:
Conker wrote:
Rob wrote:League 1 and 2 should be allowed to use artificial pitches, the argument is even stronger in this tough financial climate.

Completely disagree, if you can’t maintain a grass pitch you shouldn’t be allowed in the professional leagues. For once I’m fully in line with the EFL :P

I understand this is a pretty divided thing, and the benefits and negatives to grass/plastic but ultimately I just don’t think it should ever be allowed at this level.

Agreed a grass pitch should be the minimum requirement for a professional club. Fair enough in non league where clubs cant afford it but not in the EFL. Theres teams way way way below the conference that all manage it so any pro club should be able to.

Teams playing on plastic every week will be used to it, it changes the game and its an advantage when playing at home.

But surely the said teams away record would be terrible having to play on an unusual surface

Why?

If Harrogate came into the league with their plastic pitch they would play 50% of their games on grass and so be perfectly accustomed to the surface. Where as every other side would be adjusting for just one game at there place. Unfair advantage?
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby NorthLondonStag » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:24 pm

Big yella wrote:
spanishstag wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:
Conker wrote:
Rob wrote:League 1 and 2 should be allowed to use artificial pitches, the argument is even stronger in this tough financial climate.

Completely disagree, if you can’t maintain a grass pitch you shouldn’t be allowed in the professional leagues. For once I’m fully in line with the EFL :P

I understand this is a pretty divided thing, and the benefits and negatives to grass/plastic but ultimately I just don’t think it should ever be allowed at this level.

Agreed a grass pitch should be the minimum requirement for a professional club. Fair enough in non league where clubs cant afford it but not in the EFL. Theres teams way way way below the conference that all manage it so any pro club should be able to.

Teams playing on plastic every week will be used to it, it changes the game and its an advantage when playing at home.

But surely the said teams away record would be terrible having to play on an unusual surface

Why?

If Harrogate came into the league with their plastic pitch they would play 50% of their games on grass and so be perfectly accustomed to the surface. Where as every other side would be adjusting for just one game at there place. Unfair advantage?

This got binned off donkeys years ago when Preston(?) had their plastic pitch for a while. Ball bounces too high and too fast off the surface and it makes for a rubbish game which is why they binned it.,
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby HU7stag » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:30 pm

Along with QPR and Luton.

Didn't we get thrashed by Luton on their plastic pitch 7-2 or something, saying that Luton were top flight and had some very good players.
HU7stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:39 pm

Far from 4G being binned, the number of leagues allowing them is increasing enormously. You now have them in the Champions League, MLS, Eredivisie, the whole of Scandinavia, Womens World Cup Finals and in all UK leagues except Premier League and EFL.

Also you cannot compare the 4G pitches now to the ones QPR, Luton and Preston had.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:48 pm

Rob wrote:Far from 4G being binned, the number of leagues allowing them is increasing enormously. You now have them in the Champions League, MLS, Eredivisie, the whole of Scandinavia, Womens World Cup Finals and in all UK leagues except Premier League and EFL.

Also you cannot compare the 4G pitches now to the ones QPR, Luton and Preston had.

Didn't Oldham have one too?
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby NorthLondonStag » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:02 pm

Rob wrote:Far from 4G being binned, the number of leagues allowing them is increasing enormously. You now have them in the Champions League, MLS, Eredivisie, the whole of Scandinavia, Womens World Cup Finals and in all UK leagues except Premier League and EFL.

Fair point - I was being slightly flippant (but BTW isn't Harrogate 3G, not 4G)?
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby Rob » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:55 pm

Sneag wrote:

Didn't Oldham have one too?

Yes of course, Ricky Holden and co.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:57 pm

NorthLondonStag wrote:

Fair point - I was being slightly flippant (but BTW isn't Harrogate 3G, not 4G)?

Not sure to be honest, nor am I sure what the difference is. 4 sounds newer than 3 :)
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby halifaxstag » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:35 pm

The plastic pitches of the 80s were massively different to today’s artificial pitches.
My personal opinion is that football at a professional level should normally be played on grass.
This article from 2014 has the main discussion points http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/29894478
halifaxstag
First Team
First Team

Postby Sneag » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:14 pm

Rob wrote:
NorthLondonStag wrote:

Not sure to be honest, nor am I sure what the difference is. 4 sounds newer than 3 :)

Avoid the 5G though it'll give you Covid.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby steiner » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:43 pm

Didn't we smash Preston for 5 on their plaggy pitch?
steiner
First Team
First Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:48 pm

steiner wrote:Didn't we smash Preston for 5 on their plaggy pitch?

yes. Full game available to view on iFollow during the pandemic
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby steiner » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:51 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:

Cheers Martin wouldn't mind seeing that.. Was it late 80s early 90s?
steiner
First Team
First Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:22 pm

steiner wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

Cheers Martin wouldn't mind seeing that.. Was it late 80s early 90s?

see viewtopic.php?p=829786#p829786
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:05 am

I think we were already relegated by then and Preston had to win to stay up and we dragged them down with us. We did a big conga all over that big away end :lol:

We actually played against a Preston fans team on the pitch before our game, we got beat 4-0 & I got motm despite letting in 4! The bounce of the ball was incredible.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:15 am

Grass all day for me.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:33 am

Spiritater wrote:Grass all day for me.

We're on about footy pitches, not your recreational habits ;)
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:10 am

It’s absolutely correct to say that a good grass pitch is better than a good 4G surface

It’s also fair to say that a 4G pitch is a lot better than a bad or boggy grass surface.

Newport for example. Add to that the longevity and it’s ridiculous and backward to ban the surfaces from the league.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:49 pm

I love the fact there are imponderables with grass pitches.
The phew moment where the away striker has a simple tap in in 90+8 mins to win the game at t'Mill and t'ball hits a divot and he misses it completely :D
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby ST4GS » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:31 pm

Spiritater wrote:I love the fact there are imponderables with grass pitches.
The phew moment where the away striker has a simple tap in in 90+8 mins to win the game at t'Mill and t'ball hits a divot and he misses it completely :D
Good examples are when the pitch is waterlogged and the striker shoots and turns away celebrating only to find the ball got stuck in the mud on the line. The best one though is Stan Collymore's goal for Liverpool at Blackburn against Tim Flowers when a poor speculative shot straight down the middle of the goal hit a divot and bounced over Flowers. I bet the groundsman got blamed for that one.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:35 pm

bellwhiff wrote:It’s absolutely correct to say that a good grass pitch is better than a good 4G surface

It’s also fair to say that a 4G pitch is a lot better than a bad or boggy grass surface.

Newport for example. Add to that the longevity and it’s ridiculous and backward to ban the surfaces from the league.

I think at the very top level then we should be playing on grass surfaces as they can afford to keep them pristine, but as you say, at lower levels pitches are very often appalling in Jan/Feb and quite clearly far more dangerous than 4G. However, this isn't really my argument for allowing clubs to use them, my main argument really is a financial one, if we had a 4G pitch it could be used every day of every week of every month, bringing in money to the club and a new resource to the local community.

As for examples of a dodgy pitch, the goal against Spurs in 77 :lol:
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:48 pm

We have the 5 a side pitches for that sort of thing don't we?
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:56 pm

Rob wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:It’s absolutely correct to say that a good grass pitch is better than a good 4G surface

I think at the very top level then we should be playing on grass surfaces as they can afford to keep them pristine, but as you say, at lower levels pitches are very often appalling in Jan/Feb and quite clearly far more dangerous than 4G. However, this isn't really my argument for allowing clubs to use them, my main argument really is a financial one, if we had a 4G pitch it could be used every day of every week of every month, bringing in money to the club and a new resource to the local community.

As for examples of a dodgy pitch, the goal against Spurs in 77 :lol:

1) Most pitches now days aren’t too bad given a handful of clubs.
2) We’ve already got that sorted so won’t affect us
3) that was 43 years ago ....pitch maintenance has come along way.

In my selfish opinion artificial pitches shouldn’t be allowed in the league.....don’t think I’ve ever watched a game on one that I’ve enjoyed.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby stag861 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:09 am

At least plastic pitches stay the same throughout the season. We've played on some awful sand traps at the end of the winter. Does that give the home team an unfair advantage playing on an awful pitch for their home games?
Per crassum et tenues
stag861
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum