{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Congratulations Harrogate Town + New pitch and stand.

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Congratulations Harrogate Town + New pitch and stand.

Postby halifaxstag » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:43 pm

There is stuff on the Notts thread but they deserve a thread of their own.
Outplayed the broken wheelbarrows for all but a short spell at the start of the second half. They played nice football and used their wingers well.
Irving Weaver - owner and father of manager Simon Weaver- has confirmed today that their pitch will come up tomorrow. It will be ready in about 10 weeks ( around 12th or 13th October ) and they will either ground share or play first few games away.
https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/f ... er-2930395
They have also built a new 880 seat family stand since April to add to TWO relatively new terraces. Both were opened last year. Their ground capacity is now over 5000 with 1000 seats. I hope we get to play them there later in the season with away fans present.
https://www.harrogateadvertiser.co.uk/s ... um-2561898
They have already announced that they have frozen ST prices although new applicants will pay £314 seated/ £289 standing. For this they also get discounts in the club shop and local businesses plus a dedicated turnstile. Cue outrage from Stags faithful!
https://www.harrogatetownafc.com/news-m ... es-frozen/
halifaxstag
First Team
First Team

Re: Congratulations Harrogate Town + New pitch and stand.

Postby Martian » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:11 am

it would seem we have never played them in the past - is that correct?
Martian
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:43 am

Martian wrote:it would seem we have never played them in the past - is that correct?

correct. We played Harrogate Railway (a game you can watch in full on iFollow during the pandemic)
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Son Of Sherwood » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:55 am

Source: BBC Sport... https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53637169

Harrogate Town will begin their first season in the English Football League sharing a ground with League One side Doncaster Rovers.

Harrogate, who won the National League promotion final at Wembley on Sunday, must replace the synthetic pitch at their Wetherby Road ground with grass.

EFL rules state all matches must be played on grass surfaces.

"We'll have to relocate for what's looking like the first month or so," manager Simon Weaver said.

Doncaster's Keepmoat Stadium is a 42-mile drive from Harrogate's home ground, further away than the likes of Huddersfield Town, Bradford City and Leeds United.

They would be the second team in the EFL to groundshare next season with Coventry City continuing to play their games at Birmingham City's St Andrew's after a long-running dispute with the owners of the Ricoh Arena.

"The 3G surface has been a brilliant facility for not just us, but the local community and it's grown our fan base," said Weaver, who hopes a lot of the club's community coaching can move from the stadium to a nearby school which also has a synthetic pitch.

Maintaining a grass surface at Wetherby Road will cost the club an additional £20,000 a year.

The cost of upkeep, along with the cost of removing the synthetic pitch and replacing it with grass, will be met by the club through increased funds brought in by being in the EFL.

"It's something we have to deal with," Weaver told BBC Radio 5 Live.

"We're fortunate that the Football League grant is far more substantial than the National League grant. That eases the pain of losing the income that's derived from the 3G."
Endeavoring to persevere since 1965 (8-1 home win against QPR)

Seal it, Larson
Son Of Sherwood
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:17 am

League 1 and 2 should be allowed to use artificial pitches, the argument is even stronger in this tough financial climate.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:31 am

I don’t understand why they aren’t. Rugby Premiership teams have artificial surfaces and I’d argue that that more affecting than football. It’s backwards.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:32 am

Rob wrote:League 1 and 2 should be allowed to use artificial pitches, the argument is even stronger in this tough financial climate.

Completely disagree, if you can’t maintain a grass pitch you shouldn’t be allowed in the professional leagues. For once I’m fully in line with the EFL :P

I understand this is a pretty divided thing, and the benefits and negatives to grass/plastic but ultimately I just don’t think it should ever be allowed at this level.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:46 am

Why ?
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:56 am

Conker wrote:
Rob wrote:League 1 and 2 should be allowed to use artificial pitches, the argument is even stronger in this tough financial climate.

Completely disagree, if you can’t maintain a grass pitch you shouldn’t be allowed in the professional leagues. For once I’m fully in line with the EFL :P

I understand this is a pretty divided thing, and the benefits and negatives to grass/plastic but ultimately I just don’t think it should ever be allowed at this level.

Played on 3 and 4g pitches plenty a time. the amount of aches i get from them compared to playing on grass is ten fold.

Give me grass any day. One thing what should happen though IMO is there should be additional funding filtered down the leagues purely ringfenced for better pitches in the football league and non leagues.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby yellowstagsfan » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:58 am

The game is meant to be played on grass especially at this level and above
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:58 pm

They use artificial grass in Rugby, American football and in some other parts of the world.

I agree that they should be allowed in L1 and L2, mainly to support clubs in being financially sustainable and the pitch can be used by all teams for matches and training and therefore massively reducing running costs.

They would also reduce fixture postponents through the season.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:09 pm

All across Europe and N America artificial pitches are in use at our level and many leagues use them at the top level. It is a balance and of course a perfect grass surface is the best, but at lower levels I believe the balance is firmly with allowing 4G. It's only a matter of time, the league will soon be faced with the stark decision of clubs going bust or allowing 4G, such is the financial benefit they bring to clubs.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:03 pm

Conker wrote:

Agreed a grass pitch should be the minimum requirement for a professional club. Fair enough in non league where clubs cant afford it but not in the EFL. Theres teams way way way below the conference that all manage it so any pro club should be able to.

Teams playing on plastic every week will be used to it, it changes the game and its an advantage when playing at home.
Last edited by Sedgwick on Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:07 pm

They are to ground share with Donny Rovers in the interim period.

Knowing how the fixtures computer treats us with utter disdain you can guarantee that when away fans are allowed the Harrogate fixture will be a distant memory, whereas the Newport away game will be the next on the horizon.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:19 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
Conker wrote:

Agreed a grass pitch should be the minimum requirement for a professional club. Fair enough in non league where clubs cant afford it but not in the EFL. Theres teams way way way below the conference that all manage it so any pro club should be able to.

Teams playing on plastic every week will be used to it, it changes the game and its an advantage when playing at home.

But surely the said teams away record would be terrible having to play on an unusual surface
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:28 pm

spanishstag wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:
Conker wrote:

But surely the said teams away record would be terrible having to play on an unusual surface

The way Harrogate played at Wembley blows this theory out of the water
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:29 pm

I’m surprised they’re not playing the games at the training grounds of either Leeds or Huddersfield with them being behind closed doors. I’ve done U23 fixtures at both of them and they’re well prepared for these type of games.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:34 pm

Dan wrote:I’m surprised they’re not playing the games at the training grounds of either Leeds or Huddersfield with them being behind closed doors. I’ve done U23 fixtures at both of them and they’re well prepared for these type of games.

Or York City.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:35 pm

Sneag wrote:
Dan wrote:I’m surprised they’re not playing the games at the training grounds of either Leeds or Huddersfield with them being behind closed doors. I’ve done U23 fixtures at both of them and they’re well prepared for these type of games.

Or York City.

They’ve got the rugby club there so the pitch might not cope with 3 professional teams playing on it.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:36 pm

Dan wrote:
spanishstag wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:
Conker wrote:

I know that was my point :lol:
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:39 pm

Dan wrote:
spanishstag wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:
Conker wrote:

Not really.... both played on grass so no advantage, imagine if it was at their ground.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:24 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
Dan wrote:The way Harrogate played at Wembley blows this theory out of the water

Not really.... both played on grass so no advantage, imagine if it was at their ground.

Notts won 2-0 on their plastic pitch :lol:
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:27 pm

Dan wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:
Dan wrote:The way Harrogate played at Wembley blows this theory out of the water

Notts won 2-0 on their plastic pitch :lol:

well :lol:
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Bros » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:55 pm

Harrogate would play 23 games on plastic, 23 on Grass.
We would play 45 on grass, 1 on plastic.
Most of the other clubs in Scotland hate playing on the plastic pitches, I believe there are 3 in the top division.
Nunc est bibendum
Bros
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Dan » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:56 pm

Bros wrote:Harrogate would play 23 games on plastic, 23 on Grass.
We would play 45 on grass, 1 on plastic.
Most of the other clubs in Scotland hate playing on the plastic pitches, I believe there are 3 in the top division.

Hamilton, Livingston & Kilmarnock. I did Killie v Rangers last season and Gary McAllister came over while I was chatting to Joe Worrall and he was less than impressed with the surface and even less impressed with the fox crap that he spotted on it!
Dan
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum