{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

update from John & Carolyn Radford

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: update from John & Carolyn Radford

Postby oldweststander » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:52 am

Isn't it wonderful how peopke change when rhetoric becomes reality.

Many of those who were on Stagsnet screaming, "I don't want a refund, support the club", now do want a refund.
What do you really expect the club to do in the current crisis? If they could make ifollow available free to season ticket holders I would take the plunge and buy. To be honest, I don't really want to be at a match, socially distanced from those who have become my "match day friends", unable to participate as fans do for fear of spreading the virus.

So come on fans, stop harping on about no early bird discount, thought you were all happy to support JR.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:21 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
Big yella wrote:
Parkinsons Perm wrote:
Dave Wayne wrote:
Parkinsons Perm wrote:I sincerely hope they do give the lower figure to those that paid £350

Unprecedented times, forget previous years they're gone. The club needs us and you moan about 25 spunking quid and still can't get my head around you want a full refund when you didn't pay full !!!
If I was asking for that I'd be thoroughly ashamed, in no way shape or form is that acceptable.

I really don't give a toss what an anonymous person on an internet forum thinks of me when he knows very little about my personal circumstances.
But just for the record, all I actually did was politely answer somebody's question about the value of the potential refund with the 2 possible figures. You chose to turn it hostile by giving your opinion as to how much people should be getting when, unless you are a ST holder, it has sod all to do with you. I can only assume from your responses that you aren't an ST holder and you are one of these people who are bitter towards those of us that are.

You sad sad man.

I asked you how much the refund was and yes I felt hostile but that's just turned to pity.
They've given us a club to be proud of and you spit your dummy out over 25 poxy quid and want a refund to cover it and the extra even though you paid less, you couldn't make it up.

I pay full whack as I see that as really giving that bit extra to the club and I want nothing back in return except a club to support in these difficult times.

Bitter I'm certainly not of any ST holder as you wrongly assume.

Goodnight my pitiful friend, dream of your refund.

This.

Season ticket holders love to tell how they prop up the club financially, whilst putting in less than pay on the day every gamers, yet continually demanding extra for the privilege of getting paying less, and then whining it’s not enough when they get it.

A season ticket is a guaranteed lump sum for the club in advance, whether that season ticket holder attends a game or not. Hence they are rewarded for, in effect, blind loyalty, by being given a discount and certain benefits. This has been the case for years, and it shouldn’t come as a shock when season ticket holders are given priority.

A pay on the day every game is not a guaranteed customer. They could choose not to attend due to poor form, they could fall ill or have personal issues which mean they cannot attend through no fault of their own. Either way, that person is not making a guaranteed commitment to the club, in advance. If a person does attend more pay on the day games than the cost of a season ticket, that person should be bright enough, if their financial circumstances allow, to think about buying a season ticket. This is after all what the club encourages fans to do every summer. They want you to buy a season ticket.

A simple question. If clubs did not benefit financially from selling season tickets and receiving all those lump sums up front, why wouldn’t they make it pay on the day for everyone?

Sums it up pretty well for me.
It annoys me when people use the "I pay full whack" statement to point out they are giving more to the club. As I have already stated, I can only get to about 15-16 games a season so I am paying the same (or more) for a season ticket than I would if I paid individually for the matches I went to. I still can't understand the logic of anyone who attends 20+ matches a season not having an ST, but each to their own.
The reasons I have a season ticket are :
1) As you have said, it is money up for for the club when income streams are down.
2) It saves me having to mess about getting a ticket for a game when I can go.
3) It gives me first dibs on tickets for cup games and away matches.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:27 am

Sure I read an article from Ian Holloway that Not one Grimsby Fan has asked for a refund on season tickets.. just saying ..
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:30 am

Billy the fish wrote:Sure I read an article from Ian Holloway that Not one Grimsby Fan has asked for a refund on season tickets.. just saying ..

I bet that was before the cash was dangled in front them. ;)
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:31 am

Sneag wrote:The elephant in the room here is, for me, that this is an invitation to part with £375 for a product that is quite unlikely to be delivered.

Whilst it's great to help the club financially now. Where will it leave the club at the start of next season when the potential refund levels maybe at £200 a pop. The bigger that number gets, the more folk are going to start asking for their money back.

This is a very big issue and why myself, and others, have stated previously in the thread that the extra £25 is stretching the loyalty.
I still think it is highly unlikely that crowds will be allowed back into the grounds in October due to the situations we are getting with spikes and local lockdowns in certain areas.
It is great that ST holders will get Ifollow access for the games that are behind closed doors, but as far as I understand it that will also be available to non-ST holders at £10 a game, whereas we would be paying over £16 a game for it.
If no crowds are allowed in until the turn of the year, that is potentially 12 matches missed which means an ST holder is £75 down at that point. I would think that the offer of Ifollow viewing will negate any refund/discount being offered against the ST.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:00 am

Whilst not a season ticket holder and unable to get to many home games, I still feel that I am entitled to my opinion. The club are getting in quality players and JR doesn’t have bottomless pockets. I know times are tight for everyone (I’m currently redundant) but I think the club are within their rights to hope that the supporters make an effort to help.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:04 am

bellwhiff wrote:Whilst not a season ticket holder and unable to get to many home games, I still feel that I am entitled to my opinion. The club are getting in quality players and JR doesn’t have bottomless pockets. I know times are tight for everyone (I’m currently redundant) but I think the club are within their rights to hope that the supporters make an effort to help.

Sorry to hear about job
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:06 am

The One wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:Whilst not a season ticket holder and unable to get to many home games, I still feel that I am entitled to my opinion. The club are getting in quality players and JR doesn’t have bottomless pockets. I know times are tight for everyone (I’m currently redundant) but I think the club are within their rights to hope that the supporters make an effort to help.

Sorry to hear about job

Cheers. It happens.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Bros » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:22 am

I am in the lucky position of being retired with a decent pension. So I am happy for the club to keep my refund and I will be renewing my st next week. Perhaps the club could offer free ifollow for the away games as well to encourage people to get their st.
One thing I will miss is going to the away games where you see the same faces each week. If you are not happy with what the club is offering then take your refund, don't renew your ticket and buy tickets when we are allowed back in and you feel comfortable about going
Nunc est bibendum
Bros
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:42 am

Billy the fish wrote:Sure I read an article from Ian Holloway that Not one Grimsby Fan has asked for a refund on season tickets.. just saying ..

They have because I Know two who have done just that.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Reg Holdsworth » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:06 am

Sedgwick wrote:

They have because I Know two who have done just that.

My mate in sunny Cleethorpes has asked for a refund. Didn’t qualify for furlough as he changed jobs early March, and can’t survive on Universal Credit.

He’s had no choice other than to ask for a bit of his cash back.
Reg Holdsworth
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby cassellswasmagic » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:21 am

The personal arguments on here, whilst amusing, could do with being done via DM. Lots of willy waving. I think the club have acted quite responsibly and it’s a personal decision whether you take the refund or not and also whether you have a season ticket. As Bellwhiff previously said it’s only fair if we can pay whatever to fund the decent players they’re getting otherwise they might as well give up. I for one don’t like that proposition!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:48 am

The announcement this lunchtime that the lifting of some restrictions has been put back 2 weeks and that the trial of crowds at 'elite' events at Goodwood, The Oval, and The Crucible has been cancelled is potentially bad news for football to be played in front of crowds from 1st October.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby ST4GS » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:49 pm

Dave Wayne wrote:The announcement this lunchtime that the lifting of some restrictions has been put back 2 weeks and that the trial of crowds at 'elite' events at Goodwood, The Oval, and The Crucible has been cancelled is potentially bad news for football to be played in front of crowds from 1st October.
There will be many twists and turns for several months now. Given this uncertainty the club need to issue a statement giving an option of a pro-rata refund scheme for new season tickets as per last season, otherwise I can imagine subscription will be severely affected. We have around 2500 season ticket holders and space for around the same number taking account for reduced capacity. If lets say 30% do not renew (could be 50% as although we have many "I will pay anything to help the club and JR" these numbers will be <1000 ) due to no guarantee of potential refunds (and/or other reasons) then will this shortfall be uptaken by the non season ticket holders/casual fans who probably would not have bought a season ticket under normal circumstances anyway and should be less likely to for the new season? Some causal fans will buy one if it is the only option of attending matches but I am not sure the demand will be fully there if lets say £375 potentially/is likely to only get you 13 live games and 10 streaming passes? Then again JR is a master at marketing given his track record but time will be the judge on its success rating. It certainly is not the deal of the decade and if the only way of entering the ground is by means of a season ticket then if under subscribed another deal might be on the cards (after 3 games it might drop to £300 ish? etc)
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:27 pm

ST4GS wrote:
Dave Wayne wrote:The announcement this lunchtime that the lifting of some restrictions has been put back 2 weeks and that the trial of crowds at 'elite' events at Goodwood, The Oval, and The Crucible has been cancelled is potentially bad news for football to be played in front of crowds from 1st October.
There will be many twists and turns for several months now. Given this uncertainty the club need to issue a statement giving an option of a pro-rata refund scheme for new season tickets as per last season, otherwise I can imagine subscription will be severely affected. We have around 2500 season ticket holders and space for around the same number taking account for reduced capacity. If lets say 30% do not renew (could be 50% as although we have many "I will pay anything to help the club and JR" these numbers will be <1000 ) due to no guarantee of potential refunds (and/or other reasons) then will this shortfall be uptaken by the non season ticket holders/casual fans who probably would not have bought a season ticket under normal circumstances anyway and should be less likely to for the new season? Some causal fans will buy one if it is the only option of attending matches but I am not sure the demand will be fully there if lets say £375 potentially/is likely to only get you 13 live games and 10 streaming passes? Then again JR is a master at marketing given his track record but time will be the judge on its success rating. It certainly is not the deal of the decade and if the only way of entering the ground is by means of a season ticket then if under subscribed another deal might be on the cards (after 3 games it might drop to £300 ish? etc)

Exactly that. I'm going game by game basis this year. I missed 5 home games last season for various reasons, on top of the end 6. Season ticket just isnt viable. With the the added uncertainty its going to be tough times
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:54 pm

Chander Lear wrote:
ST4GS wrote:

Exactly that. I'm going game by game basis this year. I missed 5 home games last season for various reasons, on top of the end 6. Season ticket just isnt viable. With the the added uncertainty its going to be tough times

Under subscription this season could save the club a headache is capacity gets set at 1,500 or less.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:06 am

Off topic but Beeb site for Nottingham reporting arrest of burglars who targetted high end properties across the country.
Raheem Sterling, Vince Dale and Mansfield Town owner John Radford.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:30 am

The One wrote:Off topic but Beeb site for Nottingham reporting arrest of burglars who targetted high end properties across the country.
Raheem Sterling, Vince Dale and Mansfield Town owner John Radford.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-m ... e-53615872
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:28 am

One of the burglars (Mee)was chief executive of a high profile Liverpool demolition company with a multi million pound turnover. Some folks just aren't satisfied are they?

It's not the first time the Mansfield area has been targeted by Liverpool's sophisticated travelling burglars. In the late 80's early 90's The High Oakham and Coxmoor Road areas were blighted with burglaries by one of the groups
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:00 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:One of the burglars (Mee)was chief executive of a high profile Liverpool demolition company with a multi million pound turnover. Some folks just aren't satisfied are they?

It's not the first time the Mansfield area has been targeted by Liverpool's sophisticated travelling burglars. In the late 80's early 90's The High Oakham and Coxmoor Road areas were blighted with burglaries by one of the groups

There was an incident in 2013 when a Uruguayan-Scouse thief committed floodlight robbery.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:09 am

"On October 5, 2019, the burglars were disturbed while in the Cheshire home of Bury FC chairman Steve Dale. Watches worth between £300,000 and £500,000 were dropped by the intruders as Mr Dale's son gave chase and they left the property with only a £10 note."
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Oak Tree Stag » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:23 am

Not sure if i'm missing something here but...........

Folk are wanting a pro rata refund on the 6 games missed last season, which works out at £91.30 if you paid £350 for a ST
This is because the Club have upped the ST price to £375.
So they want to fund a £25 increase by taking a (potential) £91.03 refund
For me it's a strange way of supporting the Club you so passionately claim to love
It's a good job John Radford has extremely deep pockets. We most certainly wouldn't have the Club we do now without him.

And I do understand that you may pay your £375 and not see a game in the ground this season
Oak Tree Stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:59 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:One of the burglars (Mee)was chief executive of a high profile Liverpool demolition company with a multi million pound turnover. Some folks just aren't satisfied are they?

It’s in the blood.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:43 pm

Oak Tree Stag wrote:Not sure if i'm missing something here but...........

Folk are wanting a pro rata refund on the 6 games missed last season, which works out at £91.30 if you paid £350 for a ST
This is because the Club have upped the ST price to £375.
So they want to fund a £25 increase by taking a (potential) £91.03 refund
For me it's a strange way of supporting the Club you so passionately claim to love
It's a good job John Radford has extremely deep pockets. We most certainly wouldn't have the Club we do now without him.

And I do understand that you may pay your £375 and not see a game in the ground this season

It's a bit of a balancing act though isn't it ?
Last year £350 was paid for something that people only got 75% of. Unless they attended every home league game that was played, they actually paid more per match than 'pay on the day' spectators.
At that point most were happy to not receive a refund as it was thought the new season would probably start as normal.
As this is no longer the case people's perceptions have changed. They are now being asked to pay £25 more for something that they already know they won't get the full benefit of, as 2 or 3 home games will definitely be played behind closed doors, with the possibility that this period will be extended even further.
Whether people choose to pay £375 or £285 for this year's ST, they are still supporting the club they love with funding during a period of no income.
Meanwhile, they have the pleasure of being berated by non-ST holders who will not be giving any ticket money to the club until the gates re-open.
The one thing I do agree with is that it is definitely a good job that John Radford has extremely deep pockets.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:45 pm

I think the way they've handled this all seems pretty sensible and fair. I'm not going to get involved in views on taking refunds, each to their own on that.

What I'm not sure about is, let's say we sell 1500 Season Tickets but when they start letting people back on a reduced basis, which could be all season for all we know... what happens if say attendance is reduced to 10% of capacity and only 900 can get in. How will they decided?

I'm OK with the risk of buying one and missing some games, maybe a lot of games if they remain BCD but I'd like to know what they'd do in the scenario above. It seems like a distinct possibility that could happen.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum