{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Season restart dates :

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Season restart dates :

Postby Dan » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:52 am

Sneag wrote:I think I've had it, but have never been tested.

I'd take a punt and go to games if there was a reduced capacity. However my wife & my mother are in at risk groups, so I won't be going due to the risk I'd present to them. Without adequate testing, tracing or a vaccine, opening up crowded venues seems to be welcoming a second spike.

I fear this virus is akin to a terrorist running amok with an AK47 in a provincial town. The deaths will stop only when the virus runs out of ammunition.

As always Sneag a great post especially the bit in bold which so many people fail to grasp with this ‘I’m alright jack’ attitude we see a lot these days.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:13 am

Dan wrote:

I'd take a punt and go to games if there was a reduced capacity. However my wife & my mother are in at risk groups, so I won't be going due to the risk I'd present to them. Without adequate testing, tracing or a vaccine, opening up crowded venues seems to be welcoming a second spike.

I fear this virus is akin to a terrorist running amok with an AK47 in a provincial town. The deaths will stop only when the virus runs out of ammunition.

As always Sneag a great post especially the bit in bold which so many people fail to grasp with this ‘I’m alright jack’ attitude we see a lot these days.

Where is Schwarzenegger the Terminator when you want him .

You will not be back :2gunsfiring_v1: :thumbup: :silent: :think:
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:41 am

Well said Sneag, that is the problem explained very well.

People may risk it by going to a game but what about those they contact in the few days after attending? Sneag says he has individuals in his family who are in the "at risk" category, it's not just about individuals is it?
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:55 pm

It is all about doing an individual risk assessment.

First you need to know how you catch the virus. From what I and others know, the main reason folk catch it is by touching infected surfaces and then touching your face with the contaminated hands. If you wash your hands with soap and water or use hand gel on a regular basis then that really reduces your risk of catching the virus.

The other way of catching it is breathing in the virus from being close to an infected person especially indoors.
If you keep away from others at least two metres you drastically reduce the risk. Further reduction is by wearing a face covering and reducing the amount of time in an enclosed space with others.

I would have thought attending a game at the Stags wearing a face covering with hand gel in your pocket and not going to pub before the game should be quite a low risk considering the draft whistling through the west stand.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Rob » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:47 pm

part time pete wrote:It is all about doing an individual risk assessment.

First you need to know how you catch the virus. From what I and others know, the main reason folk catch it is by touching infected surfaces and then touching your face with the contaminated hands. If you wash your hands with soap and water or use hand gel on a regular basis then that really reduces your risk of catching the virus.

The other way of catching it is breathing in the virus from being close to an infected person especially indoors.
If you keep away from others at least two metres you drastically reduce the risk. Further reduction is by wearing a face covering and reducing the amount of time in an enclosed space with others.

I would have thought attending a game at the Stags wearing a face covering with hand gel in your pocket and not going to pub before the game should be quite a low risk considering the draft whistling through the west stand.

I agree Pete and I would go to games. However, I totally accept Sneags point and were I in his position would do the same. I suspect the risks are far greater going shopping or to the pub than going to a Stags match, but risks are there nonetheless. I do think, to start with, it will be home season ticket holders only.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:54 pm

And therein lies the problem!
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:46 pm

It will be a strange atmosphere IF the rules of no singing or shouting are followed!
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:02 pm

The problem with the face covering is that it only offers limited protection if the virus carrier isnt wearing one.
The estimates are that you would still have a 70% chance of contracting the virus. If the carrier was wearing one but you weren't it drops to 5%, and if both are wearing masks it is only 1.5%.
Maybe it should be compulsory that face coverings are worn in the ground ?

Another thing to take into consideration is that singing is banned in churches and live music is banned in pubs because of the increased risk of transmission. How will this be controlled in football grounds ?

There are comments in this thread that there is more chance of catching it shopping than in a football ground. The theory of that is good due to being in the open air, but the other side of the coin is that in a shop you pass by people quite quickly, whereas in a football ground you could potentially be sat near a carrier for 2 hours which massively increases the risk.

I am similar to Sneag in that my concern is for others as much as myself. We are currently shopping for my parents who are in their 80s and havent left the house since mid March. I am not prepared to risk infecting them.

I am fortunate that both myself and my wife have been able to work full time from home so haven't suffered financially. Therefore, I intend to support the club by buying a season ticket even if I choose not to attend the games from the start. Maybe the football league should be negotiating with ifollow for all games to be broadcast live online while things are settling down. This could be given free to season ticket holders, with others able to buy match passes as they have in the past for midweek games ?
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby Albuquerque Stag » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:36 am

What if there was some modification to iFollow, allowing people in the UK to register for half a season pass (if 'normality' resumes by January time, if not, then a full season pass) or to buy individual match passes and be able to watch live games on Saturdays as well as the mid-week fixtures as is the case for fans living abroad?

It certainly would not be ideal, but would still allow the fans to watch the game and give clubs at least some money.
Albuquerque Stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby arsene wengers coat » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:29 am

Dan wrote:

Its a personal choice on the matter.

If you're under 40 and dont have any underlying health issues, you're more likely to die in a road traffic accident.

If you're over 70 with an underlying health issue, you may deem it too dangerous.

Whatever you conclude, you can't live in fear of catching an infectious disease because you'd never leave the house for fear of everything!
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:59 am

arsene wengers coat wrote:
Dan wrote:

If you're under 40 and dont have any underlying health issues, you're more likely to die in a road traffic accident.

If you're over 70 with an underlying health issue, you may deem it too dangerous.

Whatever you conclude, you can't live in fear of catching an infectious disease because you'd never leave the house for fear of everything!

All very true, but no one is advocating living in fear and or not going out. The problem as I see it, not being under 40 and also not having underlying health problems, is simply I want to minimise the chances and opportunities of contracting this Chinese bred virus.

Watching TV just this morning, an intensive care Dr was describing what many people are suffering post Covid-19, headaches, shortness of breath, no energy, unlikely to return to work within the next year. Does anyone really want to risk that for a) other people's sake and b) for the sake of missing a few football games.

No, for me it's vaccination then football, not the other way around.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:30 am

Albuquerque Stag wrote:What if there was some modification to iFollow, allowing people in the UK to register for half a season pass (if 'normality' resumes by January time, if not, then a full season pass) or to buy individual match passes and be able to watch live games on Saturdays as well as the mid-week fixtures as is the case for fans living abroad?

It certainly would not be ideal, but would still allow the fans to watch the game and give clubs at least some money.

I think it is clear that if games are played behind closed doors, or even with a very restricted crowd, they will be available to UK (as well as overseas) supporters to view on iFollow.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby chip63 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:55 am

Martin Shaw wrote:
Albuquerque Stag wrote:What if there was some modification to iFollow, allowing people in the UK to register for half a season pass (if 'normality' resumes by January time, if not, then a full season pass) or to buy individual match passes and be able to watch live games on Saturdays as well as the mid-week fixtures as is the case for fans living abroad?

I think it is clear that if games are played behind closed doors, or even with a very restricted crowd, they will be available to UK (as well as overseas) supporters to view on iFollow.

Have you had any contact regarding commentary of home and away games?
Is it possible to do commentary of live streams without being there?
Stay safe either way.

:coys:
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:56 am

oldweststander wrote:
Dan wrote:

All very true, but no one is advocating living in fear and or not going out. The problem as I see it, not being under 40 and also not having underlying health problems, is simply I want to minimise the chances and opportunities of contracting this Chinese bred virus.

Watching TV just this morning, an intensive care Dr was describing what many people are suffering post Covid-19, headaches, shortness of breath, no energy, unlikely to return to work within the next year. Does anyone really want to risk that for a) other people's sake and b) for the sake of missing a few football games.

You may be waiting a very long time !
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:11 am

chip63 wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

Have you had any contact regarding commentary of home and away games?
Is it possible to do commentary of live streams without being there?
Stay safe either way.

:coys:

commentary on matches played so far during the pandemic has been done from the grounds. Written press have to wear face coverings, broadcasters have to wear face coverings apart from when broadcasting.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby I am Spartacus » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:22 pm

Amber Andy wrote:It will be a strange atmosphere IF the rules of no singing or shouting are followed!

Will be even better if the, ‘no pointless whining because it’s all you ever do rule’ is brought in. On the flip side, it would do Geoff Hill out of a list.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:37 pm

MTFCMAD wrote:
oldweststander wrote:
Dan wrote:

You may be waiting a very long time !

All the more reason to wait, better than being dead or housebound for the rest of your life with breathing problems, no energy.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:31 pm

I get breathing problems walking from the Wheatsheaf to the ground anyway
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:46 pm

Think people should try to stop pushing their views on others, There’s no right or wrong answer, if your vulnerable and wary, keep away its up to you. If your young with no health conditions and you feel confident, get yourself back at the mill.

Can’t wait for next season.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:40 pm

lifestags wrote:Think people should try to stop pushing their views on others, There’s no right or wrong answer, if your vulnerable and wary, keep away its up to you. If your young with no health conditions and you feel confident, get yourself back at the mill.

PEOPLE LIKE YOUR GOOD SELF ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM.

You're young maybe, you're fit maybe, have no underlying health problems probably and you're confident so you say, so it's another case of I'm alright Jack sod the bloke who has just brushed past me in the street, bugger any family members you meet after the game. No, it's everyone's responsibility to keep clear of crowds until this awful plague is history or a vaccination is available.

I understand you won't agree with what I say, I understand, like me, you are missing your football but your attitude to the community, if you forgive me, frankly stinks.

Rant over.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:45 pm

oldweststander wrote:
lifestags wrote:Think people should try to stop pushing their views on others, There’s no right or wrong answer, if your vulnerable and wary, keep away its up to you. If your young with no health conditions and you feel confident, get yourself back at the mill.

You're young maybe, you're fit maybe, have no underlying health problems probably and you're confident so you say, so it's another case of I'm alright Jack sod the bloke who has just brushed past me in the street, bugger any family members you meet after the game. No, it's everyone's responsibility to keep clear of crowds until this awful plague is history or a vaccination is available.

I understand you won't agree with what I say, I understand, like me, you are missing your football but your attitude to the community, if you forgive me, frankly stinks.

Rant over.

You have no idea. You should apologise to the lad.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:53 pm

oldweststander wrote:

Rant over.

:shock:
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:01 pm

oldweststander wrote:

Rant over.

So because I’ve said if your young and CONFIDENT of going back then go back and if you're vulnerable and are WARY then stay away that means I’m saying “I’m alright jack” that is honestly laughable, your very quick to tar me with that brush though, almost as if you was waiting for somebody to say something and play this card.

My original point is people need to stop pushing their views on others, it’s down to the persons prerogative if they go or stay away they don’t need to be made to feel bad for it. EVERYONE has had it tough during this lockdown and if your fit and going to the football can bring you a bit of happiness then do it.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:33 pm

lifestags wrote:
oldweststander wrote:

Rant over.

So because I’ve said if your young and CONFIDENT of going back then go back and if you're vulnerable and are WARY then stay away that means I’m saying “I’m alright jack” that is honestly laughable, your very quick to tar me with that brush though, almost as if you was waiting for somebody to say something and play this card.

My original point is people need to stop pushing their views on others, it’s down to the persons prerogative if they go or stay away they don’t need to be made to feel bad for it. EVERYONE has had it tough during this lockdown and if your fit and going to the football can bring you a bit of happiness then do it.

Agree. It's a personal choice as I said before.

If the young and capable to get it we are closer to herd immunity.

Football will come back. So will the MTFC faithful.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:40 am

bellwhiff wrote:
oldweststander wrote:

Apologise for telling someone to get their responsibilities in order, truth sometimes strikes a cord.

Rant over.

You have no idea. You should apologise to the lad.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum