{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Resumption Date of League Two league games?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Resumption Date of League Two league games?

Postby BH_Stag » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:06 pm

September 12th rumoured to be the start date for the new season.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:03 pm

from https://therealefl.co.uk/2020/06/16/exc ... ill-begin/

Exclusive: Is This The Date The 2020/21 Season Will Begin?
June 16, 2020

We’ve been contacted by a key official at an EFL club with a fascinating insight into when clubs are hoping to begin next season.

We’re currently on June 16th and would soon be expecting the fixtures for the new season, but as yet there is no clear pathway forward. An EFL meeting scheduled for this week is likely to shed some light on the situation, with a possible date having been floated around clubs for a while now. That date is September 12th.

Our source, who is an official for a midtable League Two side, explained how this date is significant.

“Clubs will be hoping to begin by September 12th in some shape or form. This date is critical for two reasons; firstly, it is perhaps the earliest clubs can expect to play games again.

“The current season is going to complete in July, with players contracts ending on July 31st. The players contracted at clubs are then scheduled for a two-week holiday; that is something they get as part of their agreement with clubs. Two weeks on from July 31st is August 14th.

“After that, there must be a five-week pre-season, which will take us to Saturday, September 12th as a possible start date. Coincidentally, it was revealed in last week’s talks that September 12th is also the very latest the season can kick off without changes to the format of one of the existing competitions.

“There is resistance to trimming the Leasing.com Trophy, as it is lucrative for poorer clubs and that will be vital next season. Cutting the League Cup wouldn’t make much difference financially to clubs, nor would it save much time, maybe a week or so. The FA Cup won’t be devalued as a rule and with 24-team divisions, the league format cannot change.

“We can’t run into next summer either, because of the Euros, so all efforts will be focused on a September 12th restart.”

Whilst that all makes sense, it doesn’t mean you’ll be heading to your local ground just yet, as our source continued.

“Grounds are likely to be either socially-distanced or closed completely. There is strong resistance to football behind closed doors, for the same reasons the season was curtailed early, clubs wouldn’t be able to survive.

“There has to be a blueprint in place for mass gathering from the government before anything solid is put forward, but people firmly predicting January 2021 may be premature. There is a desire to get fans into grounds before Bonfire Night, but only if it can be done safely. Nobody can predict how the situation with the virus will develop through the summer, but there is a feeling we could be back in grounds, in some capacity, in late autumn.”
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Spiritater » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:31 pm

Gaz wrote:I agree with home fans only, you could have a 'club pass' system whereby you can only get a pass for 1 league club to buy tickets for their games, it could even be linked to the iFollow system.

i dont use iflollow
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Sharp » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:22 am

Is the Leasing.Com Trophy (I didn't even realise it was called that!) really a financial lifeline to clubs. I was always under the impression that with low crowds, areas being shut down and associated costs, that we'd struggle to make any money from that at all. I was hoping it would be the first thing taken off of the table, and in its present format good riddance.
Sharp
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby I am Spartacus » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:45 am

Sharp wrote:Is the Leasing.Com Trophy (I didn't even realise it was called that!) really a financial lifeline to clubs. I was always under the impression that with low crowds, areas being shut down and associated costs, that we'd struggle to make any money from that at all. I was hoping it would be the first thing taken off of the table, and in its present format good riddance.

If, to accommodate the return of spectators, the start of the season is delayed with the end date still the same to due to EURO 2020 (or 2021 as it may now be called) the fixture list may become too congested to allow for this completion. Unless, the Premier League has eyes on using this completion as a lever to get its B-teams into the league and insist on it being played. If the salary cap is introduced and the number of under 21 players in a playing squad is increased I would like to see the completion played for the young players to get game time. However, not at the expense of clogging up the league fixtures.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:50 am

Sharp wrote:Is the Leasing.Com Trophy (I didn't even realise it was called that!) really a financial lifeline to clubs. I was always under the impression that with low crowds, areas being shut down and associated costs, that we'd struggle to make any money from that at all. I was hoping it would be the first thing taken off of the table, and in its present format good riddance.

My understanding is we made more prize money from that Trophy than any other competition last season - I might be wrong though! I don't like the format, but the only reason it is so lucrative is because the Prem U21 sides are in it, take them out, cash goes too. For us not a disaster thankfully, but for others could be the difference between survival and going bust.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:05 am

Spiritater wrote:
Gaz wrote:I agree with home fans only, you could have a 'club pass' system whereby you can only get a pass for 1 league club to buy tickets for their games, it could even be linked to the iFollow system.

i dont use iflollow

Shouldve said
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum