{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Funniest things seen at a stags game

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Funniest things seen at a stags game

Postby Big yella » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:28 am

kevin kents tasce wrote:Home game in the late 90's when a stags fan marched out of the North Stand, straight through all the players to the centre circle, bare chested with his stags top in his hand.

He then threw is top down on the centre circle in disgust before marching back towards the stand.

Can't remember if he got nicked or not but I laughed for weeks about that one!

You forgot the V sign to the dark lord.

The policeman driving the van took me to the pub after telling me “I went Tuesday, you’re right it’s raspberry”.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby DazMondo » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:32 am

Beano wrote:
five to three wrote:Many years ago now those famous visiting trouble making Millwall fans dancing during the game!

I seem to remember they wore surgical masks.

Well ahead of their time them lads :lol:

Harry the dog and company

I remember a few of them in the left corner of the North stand under the old floodlights. They celebrated our goals as well as their own. One of them wore a butchers apron and he was constantly showing the cut throat action if anyone went near them.
Proper characters 8-)
Why do the two football teams I support always let me down.
DazMondo
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby stagparty » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:33 am

Martin Shaw wrote:
stagparty wrote:Late 80's Early 90's, first game I took my son too, Wrexham home.

Was it a free kick I don't remember, their goalkeeper kicked the ball towards his goal at quarry lane end from infront of west stand, I also don't remember which stags player tapped into the net for a goal, think we won 3-0?

I'll dig it out for a #GoaloftheDay

Thanks Martin, will bring back great memories for both me & my son.
20/04/2013 Back where we belong.
stagparty
First Team
First Team

Postby tinman » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:15 pm

Spiritater wrote:I remember t'Stoke game and us in the NS singing,
'Come and have a go if you think you're hard enough'

Trouble is they did :lol:

Never realised how nimble I was until I climbed on top of the turnstiles to escape :D
First Stags Match Stags 0 Crewe 0, 14th September 1974
tinman
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby HU7stag » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:57 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
stagparty wrote:Late 80's Early 90's, first game I took my son too, Wrexham home.

Was it a free kick I don't remember, their goalkeeper kicked the ball towards his goal at quarry lane end from infront of west stand, I also don't remember which stags player tapped into the net for a goal, think we won 3-0?

Steve Wilkinson I think

I was thinking Wilkinson or Stringfellow. I'm also thinking a night match and near the beginning of the season?
HU7stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:57 pm

think it was Rotherham fans invaded the North Stand & started a fire , mid 70s ?
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby stagparty » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:25 pm

HU7stag wrote:
Woodclanger 1 wrote:

Steve Wilkinson I think

I was thinking Wilkinson or Stringfellow. I'm also thinking a night match and near the beginning of the season?

Definitely a night match, I only vaguely remember the circumstances of the goal, did he take the free kick passing too a defender who had moved position? Find the goal Martin.
20/04/2013 Back where we belong.
stagparty
First Team
First Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:52 pm

stagparty wrote:
HU7stag wrote:
Woodclanger 1 wrote:

Steve Wilkinson I think

Definitely a night match, I only vaguely remember the circumstances of the goal, did he take the free kick passing too a defender who had moved position? Find the goal Martin.

yes I dug the goal out this morning and will appear as #GoaloftheDay on the club social media in the near future. It was Steve Wilkinson who scored it, in a 3-0 win over Wrexham, and yes it was a night match.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:23 pm

Big yella wrote:
kevin kents tasce wrote:Home game in the late 90's when a stags fan marched out of the North Stand, straight through all the players to the centre circle, bare chested with his stags top in his hand.

He then threw is top down on the centre circle in disgust before marching back towards the stand.

Can't remember if he got nicked or not but I laughed for weeks about that one!

You forgot the V sign to the dark lord.

The policeman driving the van took me to the pub after telling me “I went Tuesday, you’re right it’s raspberry”.

Brilliant
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby stag861 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:49 am

Can't remember the game but we had a blonde female assistant ref. Big chap near me stood up and joked that she should be home in the kitchen. His much smaller wife stood up and round housed around the ear with a massive thump. That stopped him laughing.
Per crassum et tenues
stag861
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby ST4GS » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:14 am

The infamous "Drew Peacock" announcement over the tannoy one night match nearly caused me to wet myself and crack a rib laughing simultaneously.
You could see pockets of people shaking with laughter and other people oblivious.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby Cossall_Stag » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:48 pm

Funny but also a bit weird and scary as a 80's teenager seeing north stand chants of Warsop / Ollerton, scuffles between themselves and police having to separate our own fans. Not sure what that was about. People eh!
Cossall_Stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Spiritater » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:11 am

Miners Strike?
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby ST4GS » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:01 am

HU7stag wrote:
Woodclanger 1 wrote:

Steve Wilkinson I think

It would have been 1991-92. The first season I got a season ticket and the very first match I missed having had a season ticket.
What a season that would turn out to be.
I was in Blackpool for the Illuminations with girlfriend so it would have been a September night match.
I remember not being able to find the result until the next morning after a dash to the papershop to buy a one.
Also remember Blackpool doing well too. I thing their local paper had headlines of them being top of our league.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby DazMondo » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:06 am

Cossall_Stag wrote:Funny but also a bit weird and scary as a 80's teenager seeing north stand chants of Warsop / Ollerton, scuffles between themselves and police having to separate our own fans. Not sure what that was about. People eh!

Spiritater wrote:Miners Strike?

No, it was in 1982, a game against Lincoln. Pre miners strike.

A local dispute that had escalated between individuals, I believe.
Why do the two football teams I support always let me down.
DazMondo
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Beyond The Pale » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:14 am

Shrewsbury away in 2014, the majority of Stags supporters coaches were taken to that street with the pubs on in Oakengates on the outskirts of Telford, where the police shut the road off.

A person, who has already been mentioned on this thread, saw a lovely, huge pork pie on display in the window of a butchers shop on the street & managed to liberate the pie from its place in the window & arrived in the pub with it under his coat. Upon arriving he asked a fellow Stag to go to the bar to get a knife so the pie could be divided up & eaten... It wasn't long before someone else was visiting the bar again to ask for a dustpan & brush to sweep up all of the saw dust that had fallen everywhere upon having the knife stuck into the pie...

It did have bloody 'Display Only' written on it...
I backed my car into a cop car the other day, he just drove off, sometimes life's okay...
Beyond The Pale
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby HU7stag » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:43 am

ST4GS wrote:
HU7stag wrote:
Woodclanger 1 wrote:

Steve Wilkinson I think

It would have been 1991-92. The first season I got a season ticket and the very first match I missed having had a season ticket.
I was in Blackpool for the Illuminations with girlfriend so it would have been a September night match.
I remember not being able to find the result until the next morning after a dash to the papershop to buy a one.
Also remember Blackpool doing well too. I thing their local paper had headlines of them being top of our league.

Thanks ST4GS.

Yes, I think Blackpool beat us 3 times (including League Cup?) With Dave bloody Bamber scoring against us (and everyone else). I think we pipped them to promotion with the last spot on the final day of the season. I remember stood on the pitch waiting for a result to come through which ultimately decided our promotion.
HU7stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Johnny H » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:19 pm

HU7stag wrote:
ST4GS wrote:
HU7stag wrote:
Woodclanger 1 wrote:

Steve Wilkinson I think

Thanks ST4GS.

Yes, I think Blackpool beat us 3 times (including League Cup?) With Dave bloody Bamber scoring against us (and everyone else). I think we pipped them to promotion with the last spot on the final day of the season. I remember stood on the pitch waiting for a result to come through which ultimately decided our promotion.

Me too......we beat Rochdale (Wayne Fairclough being sick in the 6 yard box after another earth shattering challenge) and I think Lincoln beat Blackpool sending us up !!
Johnny H
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:36 pm

There is possibly no finer feeling in football, than being on the your own pitch on the last game of the season waiting for a result at a differing game to come in. And when it does, as it did on that day and it goes in your favour..............................absolute elation.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:32 pm

I am Spartacus wrote:There is possibly no finer feeling in football, than being on the your own pitch on the last game of the season waiting for a result at a differing game to come in. And when it does, as it did on that day and it goes in your favour..............................absolute elation.

Nah, of course there's a better feeling. Like watching Sir Mal score at t'dip in front of us all, knee sliding etc. Then looking at t'looks of the cheats fans as the trapdoor swings open..........now that's absolute elation. :D
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby one f in mansfield » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:33 am

Spiritater wrote:
I am Spartacus wrote:There is possibly no finer feeling in football, than being on the your own pitch on the last game of the season waiting for a result at a differing game to come in. And when it does, as it did on that day and it goes in your favour..............................absolute elation.

Nah, of course there's a better feeling. Like watching Sir Mal score at t'dip in front of us all, knee sliding etc. Then looking at t'looks of the cheats fans as the trapdoor swings open..........now that's absolute elation. :D

Still got Derbyshire times report as my screensaver at work

FT Chesterfield 0 sky bet league two ,1pm saturday 14th April

Mansfield 1 . M .Benning (67)

DEFEAT LEAVES SPIRITES CLINGING TO SURVIVAL
Don,t believe everything you read on the internet --William Gladstone 1872
one f in mansfield
Manager
Manager

Postby Madstagsfan3 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:03 pm

I remember an incident, probably in the 80's, it was a game with a big crowd and on a bitterly cold day. During the first half, wearing only a pair of boots, the ugliest, hairiest bloke emerged from the visiting fans and streaked across the pitch.

Can anyone remember who we were playing? Wolves springs to mind, but I'm not sure.
Madstagsfan3
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:10 pm

Madstagsfan3 wrote:I remember an incident, probably in the 80's, it was a game with a big crowd and on a bitterly cold day. During the first half, wearing only a pair of boots, the ugliest, hairiest bloke emerged from the visiting fans and streaked across the pitch.

Can anyone remember who we were playing? Wolves springs to mind, but I'm not sure.

there was something similar to this against Southampton in the League Cup in 2000, though that was a lot more recent that the 80s

edit - just dug out the photo by Dan Westwell

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby georgefostersbeard » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:51 pm

I don't know if I have made it bigger in my memory but Boxing Day in 1986 away at Notts County.
Santa and a group of children walked around the pitch asking people to throw coins for them to put in buckets. They got to our end and coins came raining down. Bloke next to me let a cry of anguish that he had thrown a load of pound coins.
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby scotsstag » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:51 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
Madstagsfan3 wrote:I remember an incident, probably in the 80's, it was a game with a big crowd and on a bitterly cold day. During the first half, wearing only a pair of boots, the ugliest, hairiest bloke emerged from the visiting fans and streaked across the pitch.

there was something similar to this against Southampton in the League Cup in 2000, though that was a lot more recent that the 80s

edit - just dug out the photo by Dan Westwell

Looks like a Spurs fan going by the tattoo.
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum