{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Vintage Match Highlights

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Vintage Match Highlights

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:48 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:Mark Kearney scores with a quick free kick in a 2-1 win at Northampton in 1990
#GoalOfTheDay

Didn't Mark Kearney also score with a quick free kick against Tranmere Rovers away in 1985-1986 when we were promoted from Division 4? He also had one disallowed in another game which I remember being really annoyed about.

well remembered. From the match report "Kearney caught Tranmere asleep as they were lining up a wall, when he delicately chipped his free kick past the helpless Barry Siddall".
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby HU7stag » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:33 am

Martin Shaw wrote:
HU7stag wrote:Thanks, just watched the match back and brought back some memories. Camera angle and camera work a bit naff at times, however the camera man had to keep up with the play, with the ball being a treated as a hot potato. Nobody wanted to keep hold of the ball for any longer than a few seconds, literally smashed forward at every opportunity! I also forgot how bad the atmosphere was.

Loved it though. Happy times. Can't quite remember if I was stood in the lower West (South) or the North stand for this game.

Any chance when of you uploading Cheltenham at home promotion season or when we beat Wolves 3-1 ('89?) with Steve Bull in their side (though not the reverse fixture!).

I only have the goals from those games, not the full 90 minutes. But yes I will be doing the goals from both in the coming weeks.

Thanks, I will look forward to seeing the goals when uploaded.
HU7stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:01 pm

Martin, Appreciate all the hard work you’ve done digging these clips out. We’re thankful to have you support MTFC.

Have you got the opening day highlights against a Hull City back in 98 I think when we won 2-0. That was my first ever stags match.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:28 pm

MTFCMAD wrote:Martin, Appreciate all the hard work you’ve done digging these clips out. We’re thankful to have you support MTFC.

Have you got the opening day highlights against a Hull City back in 98 I think when we won 2-0. That was my first ever stags match.

thanks for the kind words. Yes I have got that game, I've basically got every game that's ever been shown, apart from a handful of notable exceptions unfortunately (like Wrexham away in 1977). I'm trying to choose great goals, probably about 3 for every season, which should keep us going for about 90 days, and then all the goals from more memorable matches, and quite a few full matches too. That Hull game will be well down that list realistically, but if we're indoors for more than 3 months, we might get there!
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:29 pm

#GoalOfTheDay
Ian Hathaway scores a great goal in a 3-0 win against Stoke City in the Leyland Daf Cup in the 1990/91 season

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby NorthLondonStag » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:47 pm

Martin

I can’t remember who we played but I do remember a goal that went straight in from a free kick just inside our own half.

The stags player (might have been Barraclough?) went for the goal - the keeper was out of place and the wind was behind it and it went straight in. We won the game 6 or 7 something(?) and it would be around 1990s I think.

Do you (or anyone else) remember that one and do you have it? I have in mind the other team played in green but that might be wrong.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby HU7stag » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:06 pm

NorthLondonStag wrote:Martin

I can’t remember who we played but I do remember a goal that went straight in from a free kick just inside our own half.

The stags player (might have been Barraclough?) went for the goal - the keeper was out of place and the wind was behind it and it went straight in. We won the game 6 or 7 something(?) and it would be around 1990s I think.

Do you (or anyone else) remember that one and do you have it? I have in mind the other team played in green but that might be wrong.

Hereford and I think it was 7. Something like the next day we beat Scarborough 5-2 away.

I think we went on a scoring spree, starting with beating the dirty spireites 3-1 just before Christmas. Online O'Neill Donaldson contributing quite a few of the goals,
HU7stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:16 pm

HU7stag wrote:

Hereford and I think it was 7. Something like the next day we beat Scarborough 5-2 away.

it was a 7-1 win against Hereford, on Boxing Day. It was the ONLY game that season which was not filmed - the cameraman didn't turn up. Unbelievable that we don't have that goal on film.
No footage, but here's the report --> https://stagsnet.net/vintage/reports/hereford94.htm

We did indeed win 5-2 at Scarborough the following day.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby NorthLondonStag » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:22 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
HU7stag wrote:

it was a 7-1 win against Hereford, on Boxing Day. It was the ONLY game that season which was not filmed - the cameraman didn't turn up. Unbelievable that we don't have that goal on film.
No footage, but here's the report --> https://stagsnet.net/vintage/reports/hereford94.htm

We did indeed win 5-2 at Scarborough the following day.

That’s shame. It was a great goal - I was right behind him taking it in the West Stand. I want to
Remember that it was in our half but the reports don’t make it clear.

Thanks for digging out the reports.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:33 pm

I remember the goal clearly - I was standing more or less on the halfway line, and the goal was into the net at the North Stand end. It was from about 45 yards, he was just inside the Hereford half.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Sneag » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:27 am

Those two games were memorable for the arrival of O'Neil Donaldson on loan from Doncaster. He has to be one of the most impressive loan periods we've seen. Little did we know that was as good as he was ever going to get.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby NorthLondonStag » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:22 am

‘Deadly’ scores 7 goals in 5 games. I recall the rumour was that we had a deal for a permanent signing and then Doncaster upped the price and Haslam refused to pay. So he ended up at Sheffield Wednesday instead.

We beat Leeds at Elland Road that season when they were a top premiership club. At the time I think we may have been the only team to beat them at their ground that year.

The play off result seemed unfair. We had drawn 1 1 at Field Mill and it was 2 2 at the end of normal time at Chesterfield. However away goals only applied after extra time (why?) and then they beat us 5 2 in extra time.

It was a very exciting season. Andy King was a manager who got us playing exciting football. We scored 100 goals or so that year across all competitions.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby Big yella » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:08 am

Martin Shaw wrote:I remember the goal clearly - I was standing more or less on the halfway line, and the goal was into the net at the North Stand end. It was from about 45 yards, he was just inside the Hereford half.

I had the opposite view, I was behind the goal in the North Stand. It was great watching it rocket towards the net, that slow build up of realisation that it was going in, brilliant.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:08 pm

Liverpool match from 2013 available to watch in full on iFollow Stags

Brief highlights here --->

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:28 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:Liverpool match from 2013 available to watch in full on iFollow Stags

Can't watch it. He should never have reffed again the blundering idiot!!
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:13 pm

#GoalOfTheDay
Wayne Fairclough scores in a 2-1 win against Shrewsbury Town in the 1990/91 season

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby MTFCMAD » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:11 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:#GoalOfTheDay
Wayne Fairclough scores in a 2-1 win against Shrewsbury Town in the 1990/91 season

Martin,

Looking back at some of these old vids and seeing the crowd do you sometimes think the attendances were under reported ?
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:18 pm

#GoalOfTheDay
Keith Cassells scores in a 3-1 win against Wolves on 1st April 1989

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:38 pm

The Wrexham match, when the Stags won the Conference in 2013, is now available to watch in full on iFollow Stags.

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Tess Tickle » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:54 pm

One of my best memories as a young stags fan. The wall of people in the north stand as you came up the steps from the turnstiles. Awesome. Was about 9500 there on the Saturday and then about 8000 against Sheffield United on the tuesday after if my memory serves me right.
The wolves game was unbelievable. Did we have a banner saying " you might have De Woolf but we have Holland" ?
Tess Tickle
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby BH_Stag » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:58 pm

Might be a long shot, but is there any chance of getting the Champions DVD from the Conference year uploaded on to iFollow?

Can’t get hold of my copy now during these times but I can’t imagine they’re selling many copies of the DVD any more in the club shop, but people might pay a couple of quid for a months pass to watch it on iFollow? There’s not much else to do!
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:19 am

I’m not going back to work Martin until you show the 4-0 win over Huddersfield in the cup, 2001 :-)
James
Manager
Manager

Postby DazMondo » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:34 am

James wrote:I’m not going back to work Martin until you show the 4-0 win over Huddersfield in the cup, 2001 :-)

That was an excellent game. We should have scored a fifth after Piper, I think, poked wide after a brilliant one touch attacking move near the end of the game.
Good Times.
Why do the two football teams I support always let me down.
DazMondo
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Sneag » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:05 am

DazMondo wrote:
James wrote:I’m not going back to work Martin until you show the 4-0 win over Huddersfield in the cup, 2001 :-)

That was an excellent game. We should have scored a fifth after Piper, I think, poked wide after a brilliant one touch attacking move near the end of the game.
Good Times.

That was probably the outstanding performance of a damned impressive season.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:06 am

Tess Tickle wrote:

One of my best memories as a young stags fan. The wall of people in the north stand as you came up the steps from the turnstiles. Awesome. Was about 9500 there on the Saturday and then about 8000 against Sheffield United on the tuesday after if my memory serves me right.
The wolves game was unbelievable. Did we have a banner saying " you might have De Woolf but we have Holland" ?

The banner was “Who needs a Dutchman, when we’ve got Holland “

Got in trouble for leaving blue paint on works canteen floor but hey ho! Up the Stags.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum