{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Vintage Match Highlights

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Vintage Match Highlights

Postby Sneag » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:11 am

Tess Tickle wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:#GoalOfTheDay
Keith Cassells scores in a 3-1 win against Wolves on 1st April 1989

One of my best memories as a young stags fan. The wall of people in the north stand as you came up the steps from the turnstiles. Awesome. Was about 9500 there on the Saturday and then about 8000 against Sheffield United on the tuesday after if my memory serves me right.
The wolves game was unbelievable. Did we have a banner saying " you might have De Woolf but we have Holland" ?

The thing I remember from those two game oddly was the weather. Warm sunny t-shirt weather on the Saturday, freezing cold with driving sleet on the Tuesday.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby frt1987 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:51 am

The De Wolf game was in the fa cup when they won 3-2 after us going 2 up.

This was the league game a few years earlier when they had Steve Bull and Andy Mutch up front. Wolves had Floyde Streete sent off.

They had hammered us at Molineux earlier in the season
frt1987
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby cassellswasmagic » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:56 pm

Sneag wrote:
Tess Tickle wrote:

One of my best memories as a young stags fan. The wall of people in the north stand as you came up the steps from the turnstiles. Awesome. Was about 9500 there on the Saturday and then about 8000 against Sheffield United on the tuesday after if my memory serves me right.
The wolves game was unbelievable. Did we have a banner saying " you might have De Woolf but we have Holland" ?

The thing I remember from those two game oddly was the weather. Warm sunny t-shirt weather on the Saturday, freezing cold with driving sleet on the Tuesday.

Is there any footage of Cassells header that day Martin? What a game!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:08 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:
Sneag wrote:
Tess Tickle wrote:

Is there any footage of Cassells header that day Martin? What a game!!!

no, unfortunately not. Central News showed the 1st goal (by Kent) and the 2nd goal (shown here), but my recording misses the vital first few seconds of Kent's goal so we only see the ball hit the net. They also showed Bull goal's and the sending off. I very much doubt anyone has it, but if anyone has a recording with Kent's goal in full, please drop me a line.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby cassellswasmagic » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:15 pm

I loved that header. Never mind.
Can anyone remember when Stant chipped the Northampton keeper at the north stand end and the wind kept it out? Or is my memory playing tricks on me. Would love to see more Stanty stuff.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:33 pm

plenty of Stanty stuff coming over the next two months.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:43 pm

Sneag wrote:
DazMondo wrote:
James wrote:I’m not going back to work Martin until you show the 4-0 win over Huddersfield in the cup, 2001 :-)

That was an excellent game. We should have scored a fifth after Piper, I think, poked wide after a brilliant one touch attacking move near the end of the game.
Good Times.

That was probably the outstanding performance of a damned impressive season.

it's on my list. I don't have the full match, just the goals.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:13 pm

#GoalOfTheDay
Simon Ireland scores the only goal as the Stags win 1-0 at Leeds in the League Cup in 1994. This was the first leg. The second leg was 0-0 at Field Mill, so the Stags won 1-0 on aggregate. Leeds were flying high in the Premiership at the time.

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:31 pm

Mansfield win an incredible game 2-1 at Cambridge in 2003 despite playing with 9 men.

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:29 pm

The Freight Rover Trophy Northern Area final against Wigan from 1985 is now available to watch in full on iFollow Stags.

Footage from Screensport TV with commentary by Martyn Tyler.

Brief highlights here --->

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:42 pm

#GoalOfTheDay
A classic Trevor Christie header from a great Gary Ford cross, as Mansfield Town beat Reading 2-0 in 1991

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Sneag » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:19 pm

A classic Trevor Christie header from a great Gary Ford cross, as Mansfield Town beat Reading 2-0 in 1991

Who are we playing?
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:26 pm

Reading

#GoalOfTheDay
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:32 pm

#GoalOfTheDay
Cyrille L'Helgoualch scores a cracking goal in a 3-1 win against Rochdale in 1999

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:57 pm

all the video clips are now on the club youtube channel (https://www.youtube.com/user/mtfcofficial/videos), for the person(s) who can't view them via the embedded tweets.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby NorthLondonStag » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:22 pm

Cyrille L'Helgoualch scores a cracking goal in a 3-1 win against Rochdale in 1999

Good goal. I’d forgotten about him. He only lasted four games, which I think ended with a 7 2 thrashing at Cambridge, which is one of the worst Stags performances I’ve seen.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby Rob » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:12 am

NorthLondonStag wrote:

Good goal. I’d forgotten about him. He only lasted four games, which I think ended with a 7 2 thrashing at Cambridge, which is one of the worst Stags performances I’ve seen.

Totally disagree, we played really well in this game but Buttler and Benjamin were just too good for our defenders. It was a great game of football and I have never left a game having been thrashed so badly feeling that we had played well. When we got it back to 4-2 it really felt as if we were back in it, but Cambridge were superb in attack. It is not even in my top 100 worst Stags games ;)

I saw us lose 2-0 at home to Darlo in the FA Cup, Billy Ayre days I think, now that was desperate. I was working so could only make it for the last half hour and I still left early.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:07 am

And the Sky commentator still pronounced his name wrong :lol:
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:26 am

Rob wrote:
NorthLondonStag wrote:

Totally disagree, we played really well in this game but Buttler and Benjamin were just too good for our defenders. It was a great game of football and I have never left a game having been thrashed so badly feeling that we had played well. When we got it back to 4-2 it really felt as if we were back in it, but Cambridge were superb in attack. It is not even in my top 100 worst Stags games ;)

I saw us lose 2-0 at home to Darlo in the FA Cup, Billy Ayre days I think, now that was desperate. I was working so could only make it for the last half hour and I still left early.

I totally agree with the 7-2 comment. It was a game where everything they hit went in and we fluffed some good chances. 7-5 would have been more reflective of the game, I enjoyed it as a game of football.
The next time I went there we got beaten 2-0 and were utter garbage.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:53 pm

#GoalOfTheDay
Iyseden Christie scores in a 3-2 win over Cambridge in 1997

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby NorthLondonStag » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:20 pm

Rob wrote:
NorthLondonStag wrote:

Well I guess everyone remembers things differently and in fairness it was 20 years ago.

My own recollection might also be coloured by the fact I’d driven from Manchester and I cut my leg open on a concrete post on the way out of the ground and drove the very long distance all the way back in a lot of pain.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby NorthLondonStag » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:25 pm

Martin I might be misremembering this but do you (or anyone else) recall a goal from Christie where he turns or moves quickly and then he hits it in really hard off the underside of the bar. From the left hand side I think.

Or maybe it was Peacock.

Was there also a Peacock goal (on or near his debut?) where he hit it with the outside of his foot and it went in off the post?
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:34 pm

NorthLondonStag wrote:

Martin I might be misremembering this but do you (or anyone else) recall a goal from Christie where he turns or moves quickly and then he hits it in really hard off the underside of the bar. From the left hand side I think.

Or maybe it was Peacock.

Was there also a Peacock goal (on or near his debut?) where he hit it with the outside of his foot and it went in off the post?

I've got one of Peacock's best goals coming up, a shot from outside the box which was part of a hat-trick against Peterborough.

I can't remember that Christie goal off the top of my head.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Sneag » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:36 pm

Can anyone remember a goal Izzy scored at Scarborough I think in the 98/99 season. A defensive mix up left him with a run at a wide open goal, but as he was galloping towards the empty net he was laughing like a lunatic, I was scared he was going to manage to miss. He didn't. :D
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby yaxhamstag » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:28 am

Martin Shaw wrote:plenty of Stanty stuff coming over the next two months.

Hopefully includes a goal away at Walsall. 3-3 in the very early 90s I think. Stanly got it about 30 yards out chipped the goalie. I remember seeing myself on TV as part of the small away following going bonkers. Great goal.
A careful man tries to dodge the bullets, while a happy man takes a walk
yaxhamstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum