{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Coronavirus and transfer strategy

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Coronavirus and transfer strategy

Postby Stringy » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:54 am

I'll probably come in for some stick for this as it's not very sporting, but all is fair in love and war. Should we use our strong financial position as an opportunity to cherry pick the best players? There are plenty of good players out there who are attached to clubs that will struggle due to lack of revenue over the coming months. Is there a way that we can go after them? I know there's a bit of uncertainty with how long the virus will be here for, but it's definitely worth a few quid of somebody else's money in my view.
Stringy
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Coronavirus and transfer strategy

Postby PEAR CIDER » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:44 am

yes you will get a lot of stick for this.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:43 am

If it helps us then Alka fair in live and football.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:50 am

Why bother buying them if their clubs are going under?
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:24 pm

I can see a few clubs hitting the wall and the PL offering to save them on the condition that league 3 happens.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:29 pm

Premier league clubs are going to suffer as well ,i know i dont have any sympathy for them ,but no tv revenue coming in ,which will happen ,players on 100 k a week to be paid they are going to suffer ,this isn,t going anywhere for a long time
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:06 pm

players on 100,000+ p/w will be fine. there'll be no hardship for them. they are multi millionaires. they may have to sell a ferrari or two though
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:33 pm

a freind of mine in his late 80s said to me today he'd not felt this way since 1939. he said it's like we're on a war footing
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:09 pm

Spiritater wrote:a freind of mine in his late 80s said to me today he'd not felt this way since 1939. he said it's like we're on a war footing

We are
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Beano » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:31 pm

part time pete wrote:
Spiritater wrote:a freind of mine in his late 80s said to me today he'd not felt this way since 1939. he said it's like we're on a war footing

We are

Apart from the loss of life

The chances of a worldwide recession and mass redundancies/bankruptcy are terrifying.

The leisure industry alone (responsible for millions of careers) is set to be virtually wiped out.

Most of us will come out of the other side, but the world could be very different.

Scary stuff
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:25 pm

Beano wrote:
part time pete wrote:

We are

The chances of a worldwide recession and mass redundancies/bankruptcy are terrifying.

The leisure industry alone (responsible for millions of careers) is set to be virtually wiped out.

Most of us will come out of the other side, but the world could be very different.

Scary stuff

Agree it's scary stuff it's not great but it could be significantly worse look back in history it isn't the first disease to spread significantly across the globe and won't be the last. Smallpox, bubonic plague, Spanish flu to name but a few of the biggest killers in history with significantly higher fatality rates.

We ain't out the woods far from it (I expect it to get worse before it gets better) we are however in many ways a victim of our own success the aviation industry merely speeds up transmission around the globe when previously disease would be localised in many areas because we didn't have the means to transport it so easily. We think as a species we know most things about this planet we call home however in a matter of months we have fallen into chaos, six months ago Corona was associated with a lager not a virus. In many ways it should be seen as a warning if and when a more deadly strain of virus (yet to be discovered or a mutation of a milder virus) decides to test us as a species could we cope?

The answer given we're likely 18 months away from a successful vaccine for this virus suggests not. That for me is the really scary thing despite all the technological advances we have made we are still only one highly infectious and highly fatal disease away from extinction with no way of stopping it.
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:31 am

Stags 2002 wrote:
Beano wrote:
part time pete wrote:

We are

Scary stuff

Agree it's scary stuff it's not great but it could be significantly worse look back in history it isn't the first disease to spread significantly across the globe and won't be the last. Smallpox, bubonic plague, Spanish flu to name but a few of the biggest killers in history with significantly higher fatality rates.

We ain't out the woods far from it (I expect it to get worse before it gets better) we are however in many ways a victim of our own success the aviation industry merely speeds up transmission around the globe when previously disease would be localised in many areas because we didn't have the means to transport it so easily. We think as a species we know most things about this planet we call home however in a matter of months we have fallen into chaos, six months ago Corona was associated with a lager not a virus. In many ways it should be seen as a warning if and when a more deadly strain of virus (yet to be discovered or a mutation of a milder virus) decides to test us as a species could we cope?

The answer given we're likely 18 months away from a successful vaccine for this virus suggests not. That for me is the really scary thing despite all the technological advances we have made we are still only one highly infectious and highly fatal disease away from extinction with no way of stopping it.

BJ will sort it!
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:39 am

Pity all Chesterfield's players are absolutely doggers, because we could have got our revenge for the Clucas debacle.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:21 am

Amber Andy wrote:
Stags 2002 wrote:
Beano wrote:
part time pete wrote:

We are

Scary stuff

BJ will sort it!

A BJ sorts everything. ;)
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Beano » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:31 am

Sneag wrote:A BJ sorts everything

I’ve tried (unsuccessfully) to convince SWMBO that it would give her enhanced immunity. ;)
Beano
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum