{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Kevin Bird

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Kevin Bird

Postby yellowstagsfan » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:56 pm

Grendon Stag wrote:Just to add that Sue was so chuffed that Krystian Pearce took time out of his day to call into the Care Home and see Kev. It was one of his "good days" and they sat chatting football for over 1 hour. It made his day.

The Chief has had some stick this year but just goes to show the bloke cares.

Good on you Chief!
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:48 pm

oldnic wrote:Spoke to Kevin few years ago before i knew he was ill, asked him about his equaliser at White Hart Lane, he couldnt remember it. So sad

That’s a choker!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:38 pm

Grendon Stag wrote:Just to add that Sue was so chuffed that Krystian Pearce took time out of his day to call into the Care Home and see Kev. It was one of his "good days" and they sat chatting football for over 1 hour. It made his day.

The Chief has had some stick this year but just goes to show the bloke cares.

Brilliant. Respect to the pair of them.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:43 pm

Hope Kevin gets better and brilliant that from Pearce.

As a side note ive been watching old clips of stags games the number 10 looked really good, Gordon Hodgson is it? How good was he? (one for the 70's fans)
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:13 pm

lifestags wrote:Hope Kevin gets better and brilliant that from Pearce.

As a side note ive been watching old clips of stags games the number 10 looked really good, Gordon Hodgson is it? How good was he? (one for the 70's fans)
Hodgy was a fantastic player. One of the true legends.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:20 pm

Amber Andy wrote:

Best player ever with us
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:05 pm

Amber Andy wrote:

Although Sandy is my favourite player ever, Gordon Hodgson is the best player I have ever seen in the Amber shirt.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby garlic » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:15 pm

We will not see the likes of Hodgson again, one of the best.
garlic
First Team
First Team

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:39 pm

garlic wrote:We will not see the likes of Hodgson again, one of the best.

And he died aged 46. Such a tragedy.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby northern stag » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:34 pm

Hodgy was a magician and his left foot was a precision instrument, had he been blessed with pace he would have played at a much higher level. His quality of pass made Jim McCaffrey a legend....
northern stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby yorkshire stag » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:46 am

northern stag wrote:Hodgy was a magician and his left foot was a precision instrument, had he been blessed with pace he would have played at a much higher level. His quality of pass made Jim McCaffrey a legend....

you’ll start me off :D

a truly truly joy to watch in amber n blue, i just feel so blessed to have seen it
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:58 am

northern stag wrote:Hodgy was a magician and his left foot was a precision instrument, had he been blessed with pace he would have played at a much higher level. His quality of pass made Jim McCaffrey a legend....

How come he didn't play at a much higher level? Injuries?
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Wilfred » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:57 am

lifestags wrote:

How come he didn't play at a much higher level? Injuries?

As mentioned above by northern stag, lifestags, Hodgy lacked that extra bit of pace which would have made him a top flight footballer. However, he had a great footballing brain and his positional play and passing were sublime. I was fortunate to have him as a friend and neighbour and through him got to know members of Dave Smith's fantastic team. Birdy's tough and uncompromising defensive qualities on the field of play were coupled with an extremely affable personality off it. Thanks for the unforgettable footballing memories Kev. My sincere good wishes to you and your family.
Pessimists are never disappointed.
Wilfred
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:54 pm

The best footballer I have ever seen in a Stags shirt. Like Yorkie the side he played in are my first real memories of watching the Stags and the sides from 74-77 were incredible.

Best wishes to Birdy, a legend of our club.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Herts Stag » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:09 pm

A true Legend and a great servant to the Club. This is a horrible disease. Wishing Kevin and his family all the very best.
Herts Stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby yorkstag » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:55 pm

Kevin Bird was an immense footballer and hard as nails.

The thing that sets him aside from other defenders is the number of goals he scored - don't know what the official count is but well over 50 which for a defender is astonishing.

All the best Kevin - a true legend
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:58 pm

yorkstag wrote:Kevin Bird was an immense footballer and hard as nails.

The thing that sets him aside from other defenders is the number of goals he scored - don't know what the official count is but well over 50 which for a defender is astonishing.

All the best Kevin - a true legend

55 league, 63 league & cup - see https://stagsnet.net/vintage/reports/ke ... rofile.htm
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby one f in mansfield » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:26 pm

Kevin played at a time when most defenders were built like out houses and while not being very good at football they could stop those that were good from playing. Birdy was different, more athletic, read the game well , scored goals ,led by example and the defence always looked solid with him in it . He could also handle himself , if he was playing today and Danny Rose got battered a few times in the first 20 minutes or so then you could guarantee that the defender battering Rose would be limping before half time.
Remember one game where a stags player had been tackled really hard and needed treatment . While he was being treated my mate shouted to Kev “ it was number 6 Birdy “ , he looked at us smiled and mouthed “ I know “ . Everyone that saw him answer us knew full well that number 6 was going to get one hell of a fair but extremely hard tackle fairly soon.
Don,t believe everything you read on the internet --William Gladstone 1872
one f in mansfield
Manager
Manager

Postby Chris M » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:12 am

I had a chat with Kev a couple of years ago about modern players diving and cheating. I pointed out that when Kev was playing that the last thing he would do was show an opposition player he had hurt him. Kev smiled and agreed, but pointed out that he would soon find out if he had been hurt him next time he tackled him! Fantastic skilful player with the heart of a lion and a true gentleman off the pitch.
Chris M
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum