{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

John Radford programme notes for Saturday

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

John Radford programme notes for Saturday

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:19 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Re: John Radford programme notes for Saturday

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:48 pm

JR posted this on facebook:

"My programme notes for Saturday's match...

Crewe have enjoyed a magnificent season so far and we commend David Artell and his players on the progress which they have made this term.

For us, we earned a hard-fought 2-1 win at Northampton Town, and showed real grit and determination to overcome a promotion contender. Well done to Graham, his staff and the players.

It is reasonable now to state that a proportion of my focus has turned to next season. We are identifying targets for the close season and we will work diligently to recruit a squad which is capable of challenging for success throughout an entire campaign.

Most of the current squad, as is commonly known, is out of contract at the end of the season. The majority of these players will now be fighting to earn contracts and I expect that attitude to be reflected in performances in these last ten games.

Heading forward, there will be no sentiment or mercy shown; only those who are capable of being part of a consistent winning squad will continue this journey with us.

Elsewhere, we are all aware of the current outbreak of the Coronavirus. At present, the government has informed clubs, via the EFL, that there is no rationale to close or cancel sporting events as things stand. As you will all be aware, older adults and people who have severe underlying chronic medical conditions are in a greater risk category.

This is a club, under the reign of myself and Carolyn, which genuinely cares about its supporters. Without wishing to discourage people in the aforementioned category from attending matches, my advice to supporters who may be at risk would be to think very carefully about attending games from now until the end of the season.

Whilst the support of our fans is important to the club and the players, the health and well-being of our supporters is paramount.

Carolyn and I send our best wishes to Nottingham Forest owner Evangelos Marinakis, who has contracted the virus, along with the five other people – at the time of writing on Wednesday – who have the illness within Nottinghamshire.

I would advise those inside One Call Stadium today – and until the end of the campaign - of the following:

• Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds especially after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
• Cover all surfaces of your hands and rub them together until they feel dry.
• Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
• Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze, or use the inside of your elbow.
• Throw used tissues in the bins provided.

I state the above, not to cause unnecessary apprehension, but to try and help everyone inside One Call Stadium, as we all endeavour to remain in good health."
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:32 pm

Brilliant messages, from a top class and caring owner.

Makes you proud to be a stag.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:38 pm

Looks like big changes next season ?
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:40 pm

Sounds like the gauntlet has been thrown down to the players. If they were in any doubt before, they aren't now.

It will be interesting to see which players knuckle down and the effort they put in.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby scotsstag » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:45 pm

They should have been putting the effort in anyway regardless.
Pretty sure that anyone good enough to be retained has already been identified.
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:00 pm

Good message from John.

Agree that players will need to prove themselves amid the contracts ending. I however believe that offloading some of the players will be beneficial. I cant see GC being the sort of manager to mess around in the transfer window. I think he'll identify targets, go in hard for them, acquire them in earnest and get to work with little distractions.

I also note the slight dig at Flitcroft in there - being successful for an 'entire season'.

Will the club be providing hand sanitizers and any other health protectors?
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:31 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:Good message from John.

Agree that players will need to prove themselves amid the contracts ending. I however believe that offloading some of the players will be beneficial. I cant see GC being the sort of manager to mess around in the transfer window. I think he'll identify targets, go in hard for them, acquire them in earnest and get to work with little distractions.

I also note the slight dig at Flitcroft in there - being successful for an 'entire season'.

Don’t mention anything bad about flitcroft some will get their knickers in a twist :lol:

Apart from that, good notes. I’m pleased to see he’s said that - even if the players did start performing I wouldn’t want many of them anyway as what’s to say they can be trusted to perform once they know they’ve got a new contract?
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:36 pm

Well i dont see it as a dig at flitcroft ,but some people read what they want to read not what they actually see
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:49 pm

Excellent message by a great chairman. No other way to read it.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Kernow » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:13 pm

Right tone totally.
Kernow
Manager
Manager

Postby Stag on the Beach » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:10 am

He'll have to write them again now!
Stag on the Beach
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby gazza1988 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:17 pm

I don't see it as a dig exclusively at Flitcroft. It's a dig at previous managers who haven't been able to do it over an entire season. Demps, Flitcroft, Evans, Murray, Cox (in the FL), Russel (although he got half a season) and Holdsworth have all "failed" to a certain degree. Cox achieved his main objective after 2 full seasons(but then "failed" on the next objective), so is exempt in my eyes. Flitcroft got us incredibly close to achieving the objective. Evans had us competing in the play offs and only a small amount of points off 3rd when he left. The rest got nowhere near. If its a dig at any of them it's those that got nowhere near.

I don't really see it as a dig at anyone to be honest, it's just stating the obvious. Teams that are the most successful over a season tend to do alright :lol:
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:01 pm

As always JR tells it straight and honestly
Yes we look forward to a better season and I am behind JR/CR and shame that the momentum from the Northampton gamewill be lost a bit no doubt but all clubs will feel a bit unmotivated and strange for a few matches when play resumes.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:16 pm

if play resumes
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager