{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Weather watch - pitch inspection 9.45am GAME OFF

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Weather watch - pitch inspection 9.45am GAME OFF

Postby pemill » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:34 am

Very professional of the club to make this call early, it saves the treck up from Swindon for a game which could be in doubt.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:37 am

How times have changed eh, I will never forget the Spurs league game at Field Mill, it was played in mud with a tuft of grass every now and again.

For one it shows how the game has changed and two how much better our pitch really is.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:42 am

only the second game called off due to bad weather at the One Call Stadium in the past five years
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:06 am

Martin Shaw wrote:only the second game called off due to bad weather at the One Call Stadium in the past five years

and the morons on Facebook are calling for new ground staff :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:39 am

pemill wrote:How times have changed eh, I will never forget the Spurs league game at Field Mill, it was played in mud with a tuft of grass every now and again.

For one it shows how the game has changed and two how much better our pitch really is.

Know what I mean ?

Derby would still have a Baseball Ground fixture backlog from 1975.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:39 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:only the second game called off due to bad weather at the One Call Stadium in the past five years

and the morons on Facebook are calling for new ground staff :lol:

They were probably not going anyway
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:42 am

Lovely day now :lol:
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:42 am

I think that the weather was very wet that day. I wonder if today is the first match ever postponed on a dry, sunny, mild and windy day? Just shows how bad yesterday's rain was when even 6 hours of drying weather still leaves the pitch flooded.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:21 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Spiritater » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:24 pm

Foresttownstag wrote:Clipstone vs Shirebrook is ON.

Free entry for Stags season ticket holders

That'll do me. Helped YT out over the years pre RH
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:35 pm

Bad weather? Currently a sunny and pretty nice in Mansfield. Little shower about 10am and nothing since.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:37 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:

Sounds like the problem is due to the soil being compacted at the top level and preventing any drainage. So although the surface water will be gone by 3, the layer underneath will still be saturated, and too slippery to be safe. Explains why other pitches in the area will be playable, and plenty of matches in areas hit harder by the rain are okay, but not at Field Mill.

It's great to see the video of the conditions and hear the opinion of the experts.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:25 pm

Just arrived at the pub for the prematch drink only to find that the game is off after coming from Nottingham.

How come the club can't send out an email or a text to prevent this. The commercial department send out emails to us all the time....why can't someone do it for this. Not everyone is glued to the Forum
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:27 pm

Chrisuknottm wrote:Just arrived at the pub for the prematch drink only to find that the game is off after coming from Nottingham.

How come the club can't send out an email or a text to prevent this. The commercial department send out emails to us all the time....why can't someone do it for this. Not everyone is glued to the Forum

Seriously ........ ?
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:30 pm

MTFCMAD wrote:
Chrisuknottm wrote:Just arrived at the pub for the prematch drink only to find that the game is off after coming from Nottingham.

Seriously ........ ?

Weather's been great all morning in Nottingham. Never occurred to me it'd be off after the Newport game was played
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:32 pm

Game was called off like 4 hours ago, with the bad weather we've been having why wouldn't you check before setting off? It would literally take 30 secs by nipping online
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:35 pm

Quite, utter numptyness
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:35 pm

It’s been plastered all over social media, official websites, radio and local tv that there will be a pitch inspection at 9.45am from 3pm yesterday.

Then it was confirmed on all radio, official websites and social media by 10am today that it was off......maybe you should of checked as it was obvious the game was in doubt. Poor planning on your part I’m afraid.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:35 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:

Game was called off like 4 hours ago, with the bad weather we've been having why wouldn't you check before setting off? It would literally take 30 secs by nipping online
That's what I did Bobby. Given how the weather has been it was the obvious thing to do. Saved me a half hour journey.
Last edited by Amber Andy on Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:35 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:

Because as I said above its been great all morning in Nottingham and not living locally I had no idea what it's been like in Mansfield. Haven't been on Stags net for 48 hours and based on the pre Newport weather it didn't occur to me that the game might not be on. Obviously my fault
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:38 pm

Obviously
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:22 pm

Chrisuknottm wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

Because as I said above its been great all morning in Nottingham and not living locally I had no idea what it's been like in Mansfield. Haven't been on Stags net for 48 hours and based on the pre Newport weather it didn't occur to me that the game might not be on. Obviously my fault

Is not rocket science to check though is it. Been talking about the horrendous weather all week and you think one dry morning and its all rosey. :lol: never mind
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:55 pm

Bradders wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

Sounds like the problem is due to the soil being compacted at the top level and preventing any drainage. So although the surface water will be gone by 3, the layer underneath will still be saturated, and too slippery to be safe. Explains why other pitches in the area will be playable, and plenty of matches in areas hit harder by the rain are okay, but not at Field Mill.

It's great to see the video of the conditions and hear the opinion of the experts.

Too slippery to be safe. Have a word with yourself you massive lady.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:04 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
Bradders wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

Too slippery to be safe. Have a word with yourself you massive lady.

Yep saved you travelling up from Aldershot :) :D
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:16 pm

Spiritater wrote:Quite, utter numptyness

:lol:
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext