{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Fans/players/management relationship..

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Fans/players/management relationship..

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:27 pm

Dan wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:The sacking of DF, who got us to the highest league position for many years, has also added to the unrest. Especially what has happened since.

I don't expect Dan or others to agree with me, nevertheless it's a fact.

I completely agree with you.
Thanks Dan. :)
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:32 pm

Amber Andy wrote:The sacking of DF, who got us to the highest league position for many years, has also added to the unrest. Especially what has happened since.

It was not DF sacking for failure that started unrest, it was the appointment of Dempster as replacement. Fact.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:43 pm

The One wrote:

It was not DF sacking for failure that started unrest, it was the appointment of Dempster as replacement. Fact.

Maybe not for you, but for others it was.

It's a mute point now, because he's gone. What's important now is for the new guy to get us to safety.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Foresttownstag » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:34 pm

Chander Lear wrote:Some of the comments i hear from the stands are horrendous. One missed placed pass by a player and that particular player has been stuck off for the rest of the match. There is no room for error when it comes to the fans expectations. Players rarely have 100$% success in everything they do on a pitch.

I think people need to remember it’s L2 football as well, if you want tika tika attractive football all the time go and watch the Premier League.

All I ever ask watching us is we have a real go no matter who the opposition is.
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:13 pm

The One wrote:

The problem is that the sacking of DF upset 45% of the fans and the appointment of JD upset 45% who were happy with his sacking but wanted another experienced manager as a replacement. With 90% of us unhappy in August it was always going to be toxic.

The fault for that lies squarely with the board.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby yaxhamstag » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:32 am

Sweden Stag wrote:DF failed twice. Enough said.

If failure means not getting promoted....finishing fourth is a damned good season in my book and in the context of Stags’ history.
A careful man tries to dodge the bullets, while a happy man takes a walk
yaxhamstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:36 am

yaxhamstag wrote:
Sweden Stag wrote:DF failed twice. Enough said.

If failure means not getting promoted....finishing fourth is a damned good season in my book and in the context of Stags’ history.

But our objective was promotion, and we were spending a more money than we ever had on the squad. The way in which we couldn't muster one point from three games was utter capitulation and a failure to most fans
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby tibby » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:10 am

Clubs that finish 4th with a mediocre squad would usually keep the gaffer and build on it for next season with automatic promotion the aim.

Not Mansfield. We sack him and bring in the academy manager with no experience
tibby
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Jamie » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:01 am

tibby wrote:Clubs that finish 4th with a mediocre squad would usually keep the gaffer and build on it for next season with automatic promotion the aim.

Correct, however our squad was hardly mediocre. It was one of the most extensively ever assembled at the Stags. You also ignore the relegation form from March onwards.

Yes the board messed up. With the sacking of DF (in some peoples eyes) and the appointment of JD (in most peoples eyes) but what's done is done. MOVE ON.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:58 am

Jamie wrote:
tibby wrote:Clubs that finish 4th with a mediocre squad would usually keep the gaffer and build on it for next season with automatic promotion the aim.

Correct, however our squad was hardly mediocre. It was one of the most extensively ever assembled at the Stags. You also ignore the relegation form from March onwards.

Yes the board messed up. With the sacking of DF (in some peoples eyes) and the appointment of JD (in most peoples eyes) but what's done is done. MOVE ON.
It definitely is mediocre now. :D
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:51 am

There is a lot to unpack with all the previous posts.
My view is we have not really found that winning warming homely manager who will come and stay here for the long term (like Gareth Ainsworth at Wycombe ) and build through the youth system and get us to the next level

I would say DF was probably the closest as Evans was never going to be here for ever that's for sure.

I like the look of Coughlan but results to date are as bad as JD.

I think the JD appointment stunned us all and was an innovative idea but was wrong wrong wrong but to be fair most went with it as he was a loyal guy and its JR's club and money and if you can't have your way as the boss what's the point in owning and running a football club!!

Thanks to all for taking the time to post and try to break down and analyse where we find ourselves and if honest we are struggling a bit to find out what the hell has gone wrong with Stags!!!
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:28 am

For me the fan's sense of entitlement boils down to what is shoved in our faces every week with the Premier League.
You only have to listen to a TalkSport phone-in or BBC's 606, and any team who openly chuck money at a problem automatically have fans banging on about expecting more for the investment.

However in the Premier League, the competition is rife, the money is so massive that any club can afford good players, and the idiots that follow clubs at that level can never grasp that their chosen club that they cheer on from their armchair cannot win the league every season despite what they spend.

That culture of "Chucking money at it and expecting success" though has filtered down massively into the lower echelons of the football pyramid.... and if we're being honest, because the level of big spending competition down here is far, far smaller, it mostly has worked.
Fleetwood, Crawley, Salford, Forest Green to name a few recent ones.... Those of you who have supported us for as long as I have will remember us regularly playing the likes of Fulham, Swansea, Cardiff, Bournemouth etc prior to them having good amounts of cash thrown at them too.

So simply for me, it all boils down to like lifestags has said, when the comments of "Smash the league" and "Top 3 budget" were thrown about, the massive sense of entitlement that goes with it, came along too...and it would not be unique to our set of fans, it's endemic in all of football these days. You can guarantee if any multi-millionaire came into any club, no matter how big or small, and said they were chucking money at a promotion push, exactly the same would happen there than what is happening here.

The peak of this entitlement came for me though with the appointment of Evans. There was no denying/playing down the level of spending for a promotion push once that appointment was made.
Every thread about possible new managers in the entire history of Stagsnet's existence has always had a post from seemingly some sort of nutcase who suggests a manager who has just lost his job in the Championship, and those of us with half a braincell laugh it off. Yet Evans coming was that manager who 99% of the time in the past we would never have seen coming here, and his appointment signalled a massive sea change.
It meant the wages we could pay a manager, and the signings to come with it, were massively above our station in League 2.

So...when we sacked Flitcroft (who we paid Swindon to get too) we were expecting (through the increased entitlement) to get another big name manager, because obviously we have afforded it in the past.
To get Dempster instead turned the entitlement into vitriol, and it has only got worse because he still had the expensively assembled squad, and the budget was clearly still there as he added arguably (on paper) better players to it in Cook and Maynard.

The expectation is still there as long as the budget and the in your face flaunting of it (look at me, look at me :lol:) is still there.

That's my thoughts on it all anyway.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:35 pm

stagmanrob wrote:For me the fan's sense of entitlement boils down to what is shoved in our faces every week with the Premier League.
You only have to listen to a TalkSport phone-in or BBC's 606, and any team who openly chuck money at a problem automatically have fans banging on about expecting more for the investment.

However in the Premier League, the competition is rife, the money is so massive that any club can afford good players, and the idiots that follow clubs at that level can never grasp that their chosen club that they cheer on from their armchair cannot win the league every season despite what they spend.

That culture of "Chucking money at it and expecting success" though has filtered down massively into the lower echelons of the football pyramid.... and if we're being honest, because the level of big spending competition down here is far, far smaller, it mostly has worked.
Fleetwood, Crawley, Salford, Forest Green to name a few recent ones.... Those of you who have supported us for as long as I have will remember us regularly playing the likes of Fulham, Swansea, Cardiff, Bournemouth etc prior to them having good amounts of cash thrown at them too.

So simply for me, it all boils down to like lifestags has said, when the comments of "Smash the league" and "Top 3 budget" were thrown about, the massive sense of entitlement that goes with it, came along too...and it would not be unique to our set of fans, it's endemic in all of football these days. You can guarantee if any multi-millionaire came into any club, no matter how big or small, and said they were chucking money at a promotion push, exactly the same would happen there than what is happening here.

The peak of this entitlement came for me though with the appointment of Evans. There was no denying/playing down the level of spending for a promotion push once that appointment was made.
Every thread about possible new managers in the entire history of Stagsnet's existence has always had a post from seemingly some sort of nutcase who suggests a manager who has just lost his job in the Championship, and those of us with half a braincell laugh it off. Yet Evans coming was that manager who 99% of the time in the past we would never have seen coming here, and his appointment signalled a massive sea change.
It meant the wages we could pay a manager, and the signings to come with it, were massively above our station in League 2.

So...when we sacked Flitcroft (who we paid Swindon to get too) we were expecting (through the increased entitlement) to get another big name manager, because obviously we have afforded it in the past.
To get Dempster instead turned the entitlement into vitriol, and it has only got worse because he still had the expensively assembled squad, and the budget was clearly still there as he added arguably (on paper) better players to it in Cook and Maynard.

The expectation is still there as long as the budget and the in your face flaunting of it (look at me, look at me :lol:) is still there.

I don't think the appointment of JD was that much of a surprise given the two "big named" managers that proceeded him were seen as failures.

The board decided to try another way of doing things.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:37 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
stagmanrob wrote:For me the fan's sense of entitlement boils down to what is shoved in our faces every week with the Premier League.

I don't think the appointment of JD was that much of a surprise given the two "big named" managers that proceeded him were seen as failures.

The board decided to try another way of doing things.

I certainly think it was more than a surprise. If we'd have appointed someone with a track record such as (examples sake) Holloway, there's no way the feeling around the club would have been so toxic before a ball was even kicked.
If we'd have all been given the choice between keeping Flitcroft or getting a new gaffer, we'd all have differing views if we were told that the new gaffer was going to either be Dempster, or someone who actually knows what they are doing.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby SINA STAG » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:43 pm

Spiritater wrote:But they can't, most'd sooner lose a testicle first, it's like a drug

And that's just the women
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum