{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

The current situation

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: The current situation

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:31 pm

Our form from Newport away in February is:

2018-2019 P17 W5 D5 L7 (20 points)
2019-2020 P28 W6 D9 L13 (27 points)

Total: P45 W11 D14 L20 (47 points)

P.S. I have included the two play off games for 2018-2019 and recorded them as draws

This is why we need to be seriously concerned. It demonstrates that our current players are clearly not good enough for a promotion team.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:31 pm

Interesting point about Turner who you would have thought maybe have wanted to have stayed with us as he was a quality defender once he had got going after the long lay off and dusted the boots off.It might have been money or it might be he heard about the JD plans and thought no way could I sign under his leadership!!

Food for thought but could be totally wrong but I was surprised Turner opted for none league and yes no contest over Preston miles better and safer!

Think we can forget White now, can't seem to stay fit which has been a big issue for the team as he was the difference in most matches.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:41 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Our form from Newport away in February is:

P.S. I have included the two play off games for 2018-2019 and recorded them as draws

This is why we need to be seriously concerned. It demonstrates that our current players are clearly not good enough for a promotion team.

Unmotivated and/or unfit players definitely aren't ;)

Maynard is easily capable, but missed plenty of chances: so is he not promotion material?
Last edited by MutinyOnTheCounty on Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:43 pm

MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Our form from Newport away in February is:

Unmotivated and/or unfit players definitely aren't ;)

Maynard is easily capable, but missed plenty of chances: so is he not promotion material?

He was last season.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:49 pm

Very true mate, and (perhaps mistakenly) I'm assuming he also is this season.

Likewise i'm assuming the same with Bobby, Hayden, Matt, Krystian, Ryan & Mal - those guys gave us one of our most assured defences for much of last season
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby Sweden Stag » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:39 pm

Bobby and Hayden were out for most of last season at the very wrong time.
Stockholm, July 4, 2008, 15.00 GMT. Good news came, K.H. gone. March 1, 2012. Ground purchased.
Sweden Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:57 pm

I wasn't particularly referring to Nicky Maynard and Andy Cook who have only arrived this season.

How many players would most fans keep at the moment excluding the players under contract (Kellan Gordon, Andy Cook and Ryan Sweeney) and the young lads including the likes of Will Tomlinson and James Clarke? The general feedback from fans I chatted to in the Sandy Pate Bar after the FGR game was:

Keep
Conrad Logan/Bobby Olejnik (Pick one. Don't need both.) with Aidan Stone as back up
Mal Benning (but does he need a new challenge?)
CJ Hamilton
Nicky Maynard (depending on wage demands).

Krystian Pearce?
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:01 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I wasn't particularly referring to Nicky Maynard and Andy Cook who have only arrived this season.

How many players would most fans keep at the moment excluding the players under contract (Kellan Gordon, Andy Cook and Ryan Sweeney) and the young lads including the likes of Will Tomlinson and James Clarke? The general feedback from fans I chatted to in the Sandy Pate Bar after the FGR game was:

Keep
Conrad Logan/Bobby Olejnik (Pick one. Don't need both.) with Aidan Stone as back up
Mal Benning (but does he need a new challenge?)
CJ Hamilton
Nicky Maynard (depending on wage demands).

I wouldn’t keep either keep as a number one. One as back up and a new number one.

I’d keep Hayden White but give him a contract based on how many games he plays as his injury record is worrying. I’d keep Preston despite the terrible season he is having, there’s a player in there. I’d keep Pearce if he wants to be here.

I’d keep Rose I’d be was prepared to be most a back up player. I’d keep Khan if he took a pay cut and give him an incentive based contract.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:09 pm

That's the problem Sam. One of the key issues is that you need to know how much a player wants. A player might be worth keeping as a squad player and be good value at £1,000 per week but if they want £2,000/£3,000/£4,000 per week then you might start thinking you can get better value elsewhere. Most of the players signed by Steve Evans and David Flitcroft and Nicky Maynard/Andy Cook (signed by JD) will be on big money. Some of them are clearly not earning their money at the moment and so it may be time to move them on.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:12 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:That's the problem Sam. One of the key issues is that you need to know how much a player wants. A player might be worth keeping as a squad player and be good value at £1,000 per week but if they want £2,000/£3,000/£4,000 per week then you might start thinking you can get better value elsewhere. Most of the players signed by Steve Evans and David Flitcroft and Nicky Maynard/Andy Cook (signed by JD) will be on big money. Some of them are clearly not earning their money at the moment and so it may be time to move them on.

Correct. None of those I’ve mentioned will be on 4K a well, most not even on 3k I wouldn’t have thought.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:49 am

As first team players I would keep Sweeney, Hamilton and Maynard.

As back up players I'd keep Olejnik, Khan, Thomlinson, Cooke, Clarke and Stirling-James. Jimmy Knowles and the other young lads are exempt from my thoughts at the moment as its not fair to judge them on what little we've seen.

I don't know enough about the new lad to judge but he has a very good pedigree so on that alone, I'd give him a year's contract.

I don't think the rest are good/consistent enough to be in a promotion side so they could all go for me. There are players amongst them who have been good servants of the club but there is no sentiment in football.

White is probably good enough but can't stay fit and I think that may be psychologicall as much as anything as he hasn't seemed to be on it lately which may be down to the number of injuries/illness he has had.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum