{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Going down at this rate

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Going down at this rate

Postby Sedgwick » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:23 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:How odd that Bury, a team you could argue cost us promotion, could be the side that saves us from relegation.

True Gazza, but we would be in league 1 if the EFL had done it’s job.

and we would be bottom with no points. Can you really imagine this lot in league one?!
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:25 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:How odd that Bury, a team you could argue cost us promotion, could be the side that saves us from relegation.

and we would be bottom with no points. Can you really imagine this lot in league one?!

We would have a different manager with different players, how can you possibly judge?
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:30 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:

We would have a different manager with different players, how can you possibly judge?

Well you can only judge from what we've seen of the bulk of this squad... Flitcroft hasn't been successful in league one, and I doubt we would have seen wholesale changes. We would have been struggling to stop up and I doubt the season would have been that great, look at MK and Tranmere... So I can easily judge... its only hypothetical, don't cry too much about it.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:41 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:

Well you can only judge from what we've seen of the bulk of this squad... Flitcroft hasn't been successful in league one, and I doubt we would have seen wholesale changes. We would have been struggling to stop up and I doubt the season would have been that great, look at MK and Tranmere... So I can easily judge... its only hypothetical, don't cry too much about it.

Very touchy. MK and Tranmere are both bottom with 0 points are they? And you're able to judge how a team, who you have no idea who the squad would be, would be able to perform. Wow, well done. Mr I work in football is wrong again.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sweden Stag » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:48 pm

We had definitely fared a bit better than MK and Tranmere. And relished the opportunity to play sides like Sunderland and Ipswich. And as an aside, the GB FA's are the only ones in the whole of Europe NOT to use the away-goals ruling in playoff games. Had that been in force, we had played the playoff finals instead of Newport last season. We had also played the National League playoff final instead of York in 2012 and the final in 1995 instead of the Spireites. But we had missed out on the playoff finals in 2004 as Northampton scored three against us at Field Mill while the Stags scored twice in the first leg at Sixfields. FACTS.
Stockholm, July 4, 2008, 15.00 GMT. Good news came, K.H. gone. March 1, 2012. Ground purchased.
Sweden Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:58 pm

We'd have a shot at getting tyler walker again had we gone up, he'd want to stay with Flitcroft who got his best season out of him. Also we'd have a better chance of offloading players as well. A hot commodity for a League 2 side is a player who recently got promoted out of the league.
Moving contracted players on would have been easier than it is to do so now. If he had got us up and avoided relegation it's be our highest pyramid finish since the 89/90 season.

Isn't Flitcroft assistant at Bolton? With how close they came to not existing its understandable that the season has suffered. Another side that hasn't prepared well, ending in a likely relegation.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Foresttownstag » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:00 pm

gazza1988 wrote:We'd have a shot at getting tyler walker again had we gone up, he'd want to stay with Flitcroft who got his best season out of him. Also we'd have a better chance of offloading players as well. A hot commodity for a League 2 side is a player who recently got promoted out of the league.
Moving contracted players on would have been easier than it is to do so now. If he had got us up and avoided relegation it's be our highest pyramid finish since the 89/90 season.

Isn't Flitcroft assistant at Bolton? With how close they came to not existing its understandable that the season has suffered. Another side that hasn't prepared well, ending in a likely relegation.

I’d heard that the Walker deal was done and dusted providing we went up.
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:18 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:

That's impossible to say. The players wouldn't have had a mental collapse of missing out on promotion and we'd still have the same manager. I think we would've held our own in L1
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sweden Stag » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:20 pm

Maybe more than that.
Stockholm, July 4, 2008, 15.00 GMT. Good news came, K.H. gone. March 1, 2012. Ground purchased.
Sweden Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:51 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:

That's impossible to say. The players wouldn't have had a mental collapse of missing out on promotion and we'd still have the same manager. I think we would've held our own in L1

We'd still have Tyler Walker, signed better players, kept DF.

So yes definitely impossible to gauge where we'd be as things would of been so much different !
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:58 pm

bigalstag wrote:Not according to Mr Hymas. DF was the reason that that this season has gone so wrong, and its nothing to do with John Dempster at all.

And as he doesn’t know one end of a football from the other, what qualifies him to make that statement more than the mushy pea vendor in the IGU?
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:59 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
bigalstag wrote:Not according to Mr Hymas. DF was the reason that that this season has gone so wrong, and its nothing to do with John Dempster at all.

And as he doesn’t know one end of a football from the other, what qualifies him to make that statement more than the mushy pea vendor in the IGU?

Where does he say this?
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:09 pm

The amount of chances Flitcroft and the squad fluffed last season was absolutely ridiculous - it was frankly unforgivable - how they managed to bottle the promotion in such an epic way was astonishing - it was even worse than the season before when the impossible was achieved and we managed to not finish in the play-offs that season.

It's of no surprise the same players have shown little back-bone either this season
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:57 pm

adamstag wrote:The amount of chances Flitcroft and the squad fluffed last season was absolutely ridiculous - it was frankly unforgivable - how they managed to bottle the promotion in such an epic way was astonishing - it was even worse than the season before when the impossible was achieved and we managed to not finish in the play-offs that season.

It's of no surprise the same players have shown little back-bone either this season

exactly. a lot of these players have ballsed promotion up twice. it was always gonna be a tough job to get them going a third time, especially with a rookie manager
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby wardy12345 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:26 pm

I’ve had a look at the remaining fixtures and I can only see stags getting 12 more points is 39 points enough to stop up.
wardy12345
First Team
First Team

Postby Captain Cunno » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:39 pm

12 points ?
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:52 pm

wardy12345 wrote:I’ve had a look at the remaining fixtures and I can only see stags getting 12 more points is 39 points enough to stop up.

A couple short on average.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:05 pm

I think we need another 15/16 points minimum to be safe.

Just looked through our fixtures also and I think it’s going to be tight with how we are currently going.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:29 pm

BH_Stag wrote:I think we need another 15/16 points minimum to be safe.

Just looked through our fixtures also and I think it’s going to be tight with how we are currently going.

The average is 41 in the last ten years, so that would be a pretty high total.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sweden Stag » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:38 pm

Highest points totals to go down during the last decade: Barnet 51 in 2012-13, Bristol Rovers 50 in 2013-14. Highest points tally for bottom club: Aldershot 48 in 2012-13, followed by 45 for Torquay in 2013-14. Lowest points tally for two clubs going down: Dagenham & Redbridge and York with 34 points each in 2015-16. Luton finished on 26 points in 2008-09 but that was due to their then 30 points deduction for off-the-field issues. Darlington finished the 2009-10 season with 30 points on the field.
Sweden Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby adamstag » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:19 am

We could be 21st by the close of play tonight :shock:
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:00 am

adamstag wrote:We could be 21st by the close of play tonight :shock:

It is still not 24th though. ;)
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:24 am

bellwhiff wrote:
stagmanrob wrote:I honestly believe that if this current squad could jump into a time travelling DeLorean and go back in time to play the last lot that got us relegated to the Conference, the 2008 lot would win quite easily

That's a worrying thought.

Not a chance

We can't hit a barn door at the moment.
The 2008 side at least had Micky Boulding that could.
If that 2008 side hadn't got Jason White in goal, it could have been a different story.
We're 2 points better off than that side was at this stage.
I'd hate to know how those 2 points difference work out in a wage budget to points ratio compared to a Haslam funded squad though.
The 2008 side had some players in it that seemed to at least care in my eyes too.
Last edited by stagmanrob on Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:32 am

stagmanrob wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
stagmanrob wrote:I honestly believe that if this current squad could jump into a time travelling DeLorean and go back in time to play the last lot that got us relegated to the Conference, the 2008 lot would win quite easily

Not a chance

If that 2008 side hadn't got Jason White in goal, it could have been a different story.

Maynard only has two less goals than Boulding had at the same stage in that season.

Cook and Rose already have more goals that the second top scorers in that season (Arnold, Brown, Louis all finished on 4).
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:37 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
stagmanrob wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

Not a chance

Maynard only has two less goals than Boulding had at the same stage in that season.

Cook and Rose already have more goals that the second top scorers in that season (Arnold, Brown, Louis all finished on 4).

Not talking goals in total.
Aren't you the one who's a big lover of the expected goals stuff?
If you could choose a player going through one on one against a keeper, who are you having?
Boulding or Maynard?
That's what I'm getting at.
Our defence can't keep a clean sheet to save their lives.
Hypothetically what I am saying is I believe the 2008 side would beat this expensive giant turd (in my opinion) because we would give them more than enough chance to and they haven't got CJ Hamilton and Maynard sticking 8 shots wide before one might go in :lol:

Even Jason White wouldn't have to drop one in the goal for us if they don't hit the target :lol:
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum