{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Going down at this rate

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Going down at this rate

Postby Amberheart » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:22 pm

I've not felt as worried since the 14/15 season when we needed to win at home to Tranmere to guarantee us staying up . I hope this season has a similar end
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:05 pm

Tess Tickle wrote:We need a good run and quick. Bradford apart there is no reason why we cant win the next 6 or 7 . Stranger things have happened....... I cant think of them but I'm sure they have !!!!!

Include Bradford. They’re beatable on the road.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:08 pm

We're very beatable at home though
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:39 pm

Spiritater wrote:We're very beatable at home though

Of course, but to say we don’t have a chance, given every game since most games since Coughlan have been decided by the old goal, is wrong IMO. I think we will get something next week.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:20 am

Amberheart wrote:I've not felt as worried since the 14/15 season when we needed to win at home to Tranmere to guarantee us staying up . I hope this season has a similar end

Go have another look at that seasons results & table.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:53 am

I honestly believe that if this current squad could jump into a time travelling DeLorean and go back in time to play the last lot that got us relegated to the Conference, the 2008 lot would win quite easily

That's a worrying thought.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Random Hero » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:47 am

Sneag wrote:
Amberheart wrote:I've not felt as worried since the 14/15 season when we needed to win at home to Tranmere to guarantee us staying up . I hope this season has a similar end

At this exact stage in that season we had 27 points.

We now have 27 points.
An der Elbe, werden Träume wahr
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:29 am

stagmanrob wrote:I honestly believe that if this current squad could jump into a time travelling DeLorean and go back in time to play the last lot that got us relegated to the Conference, the 2008 lot would win quite easily

Not a chance
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:46 am

Random Hero wrote:
Sneag wrote:

We now have 27 points.

We didn’t, we had 31, 4 more than we have now. The bottom team had 21. We finished with 48 and the bottom team 39. 41 points will be enough for us to stay up.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:49 am

stagmanrob wrote:I honestly believe that if this current squad could jump into a time travelling DeLorean and go back in time to play the last lot that got us relegated to the Conference, the 2008 lot would win quite easily

The 2008 team had 25 points after 28 games. The bottom team had 24 but had played an extra game.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:04 am

MTFCMusings wrote:

Of course, but to say we don’t have a chance, given every game since most games since Coughlan have been decided by the old goal, is wrong IMO. I think we will get something next week.

Most games this season have been decided by the odd goal, generally in the oppositions favour. GC has yet to improve that.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:14 am

How odd that Bury, a team you could argue cost us promotion, could be the side that saves us from relegation.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:17 am

Spiritater wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

Most games this season have been decided by the odd goal, generally in the oppositions favour. GC has yet to improve that.

There’s been a definite upturn in performances.

There’s a lot of blame been put on the defence, rightly so, but the attackers deserve some as well. We’ve had the better chances in most games since GC for here and generally failed to convert.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Gruff » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:19 am

I can't see us going down, because we are starting to improve. Take the last 2 games:
FGR are no mugs and are a damn good team. Defensive frailties/concentration/stamina meant 3 goals weren't good enough to beat them. This is something GC is working on.
Plymouth away - A day out for dreamers. This team smashed Carlisle 3-0 away last week. Look at the manager and quality in the team. However, my Plymouth mates at half time were saying we should have been 3-4 goals up, and were amazed how good we were given our league position. Ok, the first two goals caused by defensive frailties/concentration are still a weakness, but we are scoring and creating chances against good teams.

GC is a defender, and has tried pretty much every combination of a back 4/5 since he's been here to find the magic formation. I would suggest he now knows he has to invest in the defence. In his defence, he inherited the best defence in the division from last season, so would expect them to kick in to life, rather than have to rebuild.

All is good. we're getting better and GC will secure mid-table this season, and push for promotion next season.

You heard it here first...
Gruff
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:20 am

gazza1988 wrote:How odd that Bury, a team you could argue cost us promotion, could be the side that saves us from relegation.

True Gazza, but we would be in league 1 if the EFL had done it’s job.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby DazMondo » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:33 am

Gruff wrote:I can't see us going down, because we are starting to improve. Take the last 2 games:
FGR are no mugs and are a damn good team. Defensive frailties/concentration/stamina meant 3 goals weren't good enough to beat them. This is something GC is working on.
Plymouth away - A day out for dreamers. This team smashed Carlisle 3-0 away last week. Look at the manager and quality in the team. However, my Plymouth mates at half time were saying we should have been 3-4 goals up, and were amazed how good we were given our league position. Ok, the first two goals caused by defensive frailties/concentration are still a weakness, but we are scoring and creating chances against good teams.

GC is a defender, and has tried pretty much every combination of a back 4/5 since he's been here to find the magic formation. I would suggest he now knows he has to invest in the defence. In his defence, he inherited the best defence in the division from last season, so would expect them to kick in to life, rather than have to rebuild.

All is good. we're getting better and GC will secure mid-table this season, and push for promotion next season.

I agree Gruff, the trouble with the 30 or so regular posters on here, they are drama queen's who think we are all panicking and are pessimists like themselves.

They make me laugh, snowflakes.

I remember some posts complaining about zero shots on target during JD's tenancy, they say eff all now. They just bore on about the derence, which is obvious to even a blind man.

We will probably finish a comfortable 12th and hopefully kick on.
Why do the two football teams I support always let me down.
DazMondo
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Sneag » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:35 am

Random Hero wrote:
Sneag wrote:

We now have 27 points.

And we stayed up right?

That season 2 went down, and although mathematically those of a nervous disposition were still shitting themselves until the last couple of weeks, we actually had gained enough points to stay up by game 36/37.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby marksay » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:50 pm

The situation today is caused by 6 months of an experiment that has cost us a season and the board a huge amount of wasted money. GC will sort it as he is not anyones buddy and wants success
marksay
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bigalstag » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:10 pm

Not according to Mr Hymas. DF was the reason that that this season has gone so wrong, and its nothing to do with John Dempster at all.
bigalstag
First Team
First Team

Postby The One » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:18 pm

bigalstag wrote:Not according to Mr Hymas. DF was the reason that that this season has gone so wrong, and its nothing to do with John Dempster at all.

He is to football what I am to bricklaying. Whats a trowel ?.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:34 pm

The One wrote:
bigalstag wrote:Not according to Mr Hymas. DF was the reason that that this season has gone so wrong, and its nothing to do with John Dempster at all.

He is to football what I am to bricklaying. Whats a trowel ?.

:lol: Something that gets you laid
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:04 pm

GC has got a massive job on his hands sorting this squad out who have basically not been good enough since losing 1-0 at Newport County on 9th Feb 2019. We do need to be seriously concerned.

2018-2019 P17 W5 D5 L7 (20 points)
2019-2020 P28 W6 D9 L13 (27 points)

Total: P45 W11 D14 L18 (47 points)

P.S. I have included the two play off games for 2018-2019 and recorded them as draws

The big irony is that Bury's expulsion could save us this season as Gazza pointed out above.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:15 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:GC has got a massive job on his hands sorting this squad out who have basically not been good enough since losing 1-0 at Newport County on 9th Feb 2019. We do need to be seriously concerned.

2018-2019 P17 W5 D5 L7 (20 points)
2019-2020 P28 W6 D9 L13 (27 points)

There you go Gazza, all Flitcrofts fault as that was HIS team ;)
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:08 am

Not surprised by that at all. He'd tell you we got promoted despite Cox, not because of.

All this because Hymas wanted Flitcroft to play Zayn Hakeem during our striker shortage and threw the toys out the pram. Ironically the youth team manager took over and released the guy anyway.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:02 pm

Gruff wrote:I can't see us going down, because we are starting to improve. Take the last 2 games:

Now what the hell are doing on here speaking a bit of positivity, Gruffski?! :shock: :lol:

As long as the team continues to improve then i think we'll be fine. Lets not forget we've played decent teams recently, and kept them honest for large parts of the games. Compared to last season, yes it's a shambles in form & performance. But compared to the mess we've been in earlier this season i think we're looking better on pitch, even if the results (against better teams) don't yet show it

Time will tell i guess ;)
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum