{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Stags sign Harry Charsley

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Stags sign Harry Charsley

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:47 pm

James wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:Clever signing in my opinion..

Good back ground, he's youthful with bags of energy and good technical ability... the exact opposite of the midfielder we rely on every week.. Bishop.

In our current situation, getting the end of the season safely is the aim... Charsley and Tomlinson could be good enough. Id rather have them than Bishop and macca being bypassed every week.

Hes only here until the end of the season too so its up to GC if he stays long term.
Given he's had a serious injury, I suspect the short contract is more to do with fitness rather than ability.

I have no problem with the signing, but it's not one that will effect our current situation.

We need proven leadership and experience at league 1 or 2 level.

You mean like Pearce, Bishop, MacDonald etc?

We actually need young, hungry players who will add some energy to the side, not more 30+ players to be honest.

In our situation, we ought to blooding some of our young players - supported by senior players. The problem is some of our senior players are completely out of sorts. As Smith demonstrated last week, he isn’t ready to be thrust into a team that seems incapable of protecting him.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:28 pm

James wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:
James wrote:We’ve just signed a player who’s got a good pedigree coming through Everton’s youth academy, played for Ireland U21’s and featured for Everton’s first team & some on here are slagging him off already.

Martin, Turn off Stagsnet, it’s done.

He never played for Everton's first team bud.

He definitely has.

I stand corrected. Apologies bud. The bit I read I thought it meant the youth European league. Not realising Everton just played kids in the Europa league.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:54 pm

From Everton's website

Wirral-born midfielder Harry Charsley has been at the Blues’ Academy since the age of nine. Having came through the ranks with the Toffees, he would go on to play a crucial part in the Under-18s’ league triumph in the 2013/14 season. Possessing a knack of timing his runs from midfield into the box to perfection, Charsley’s sixth and final goal of the campaign was the winner in May’s 1-0 win over Manchester City at Goodison Park to clinch the title.

The Republic of Ireland Under-21 international enjoyed another eye-catching season in 2014/15, scooping the Under-18s Player of the Season Award as the young Blues narrowly missed out on a second successive U18 Premier League title on the final day of the season. Charsley impressed for David Unsworth's Under-23s in 2015/16 and 2016/17, finishing the latter as joint top goalscorer to help the young Blues secure the Premier League 2 title. He was handed his first-team bow in the final Europa League group game against Apollon Limassol in December 2017. He put in a solid performance at left-back, forcing a smart first-half save from goalkeeper Tasos Kissas, before being replaced by another debutant, Alex Denny, in second-half injury time.
Charsley spent the second half of the season on loan at Championship side Bolton Wanderers.

Contracted until: June 2019

Could Harry be a goal scoring attacking midfield player? :shock:
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:53 pm

Harry Charsley goal for Everton U23s 2m 45s

Anthony Gordon is the star of the show again but misses a penalty

Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:01 am

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
James wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:Clever signing in my opinion..

Good back ground, he's youthful with bags of energy and good technical ability... the exact opposite of the midfielder we rely on every week.. Bishop.

In our current situation, getting the end of the season safely is the aim... Charsley and Tomlinson could be good enough. Id rather have them than Bishop and macca being bypassed every week.

Hes only here until the end of the season too so its up to GC if he stays long term.
Given he's had a serious injury, I suspect the short contract is more to do with fitness rather than ability.

I have no problem with the signing, but it's not one that will effect our current situation.

We need proven leadership and experience at league 1 or 2 level.

You mean like Pearce, Bishop, MacDonald etc?

We actually need young, hungry players who will add some energy to the side, not more 30+ players to be honest.

In our situation, we ought to blooding some of our young players - supported by senior players. The problem is some of our senior players are completely out of sorts. As Smith demonstrated last week, he isn’t ready to be thrust into a team that seems incapable of protecting him.

In our situation we need one or two experienced players that are performing, in order to see us to safety. The problem we have is our senior players aren't performing to the required standard . To expect youngsters to get us over the line would be asking too much of them and a big risk.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:50 am

I agree Andy, a rookie first team manager with football experience got us in this mess because it was a step too large. Now we want rookie players to bail us out.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:25 am

I think this lad is for next season and the future.

He obviously has the potential to be a good solid player but is very ring rusty. Perhaps the chance to sign him came along and it was prudent to sign him before other clubs came in as he gets fitter.

It is interesting that he can and has played left back and may be an indication that rumours of Mal Benning wanting away have some credence.

Let's let the lad settle in and get up to speed before we crucify him and I'm sure he will become a fans favourite and show us his true worth.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:27 am

gazza1988 wrote:I agree Andy, a rookie first team manager with football experience got us in this mess because it was a step too large. Now we want rookie players to bail us out.

We need legs, energy, someone fighting for a contract to stay here. Someone who can play coughlans pressing game. Let's be real, our midfield at the minute is dire. We can't keep playing bishop and Macca, it just does not work.

We don't need more expensive experienced cloggers who take a big pay cheque home and offer little on the pitch
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Kernow » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:51 am

Certainly midfield is an issue.
Kernow
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:03 am

Kernow wrote:Certainly midfield is an issue.

Who have we got available for CM currently? Bishop and Macca and now Charsley? Tomlinson is injured i think, I can't see mellis playing for us again so you're definitely correct in saying it's an issue!
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:05 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Kernow wrote:Certainly midfield is an issue.

Who have we got available for CM currently? Bishop and Macca and now Charsley? Tomlinson is injured i think, I can't see mellis playing for us again so you're definitely correct in saying it's an issue!

Why won’t Mellis play for us again?
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:48 am

Harry Charsley can certainly strike a ball with his left foot if he gets a chance. In fact he can hit them with both feet.

I watched the Everton game on iFollow (as I had not watched it before) and Harry Charsley seemed to play as an attacking midfield player playing behind the striker along with Anthony Gordon and switching from left to right. When Everton went down to 10 men he dropped deeper and played more central. He made a good start and cut in from the right and put in a good ball across the area and then had a left foot shot saved. He then faded out the game and did not touch the ball very much....a bit like Jason Law and Jimmy Knowles who were subbed at half time by the Stags. He got more involved when Everton went down to 10 men and banged in a good shot from distance near the end with his right foot which Aidan Stone saved. His penalty in the shoot out was excellent. He smashed it in the top right hand corner. Omari Sterling James had a great game for the Stags but then blasted his penalty over the ball. Lewis Gibbens also played well at centre half and his distribution was good. Aidan Stone played well in goal.

Here a few spectacular goals from Harry Charsley against Chelsea and Celtic U21s although they are from 2016.

Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:27 pm

Football is a simple game. Being a leader on a football pitch isn't like being at the vanguard of business leadership. you don't need age to be a traditional 'Leader' to necessarily be a leader on the football pitch. Often the example is set from tenacity, effort and a 'never say die' attitude which is infectious. you dont need to be 33 to have these attributes. young players can be in this mould.

We need a defender who will just block, kick, clear and put their head where our other defenders wont dare put their feet. We also need a couple of vibrant, energetic midfielder (or two), one who is willing to do the defensive work, and one who can pick a few forward passes and unlock chances.

There are definitely some psychological barriers that need to be broken down and maybe new blood in the squad without these hang-ups is good for everyone.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:35 pm

Willing to give him every chance as any midfield change will be welcome welcome!!
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:36 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:I agree Andy, a rookie first team manager with football experience got us in this mess because it was a step too large. Now we want rookie players to bail us out.

We need legs, energy, someone fighting for a contract to stay here. Someone who can play coughlans pressing game. Let's be real, our midfield at the minute is dire. We can't keep playing bishop and Macca, it just does not work.

We don't need more expensive experienced cloggers who take a big pay cheque home and offer little on the pitch

Bishop was more than adequate at 37 last season, certainly in the first half of it. Like the saying about if he's good enough he's old enough, that works both ways.

We signed Tom Curtis at 29 from division 1 (championship in new money). This is the sort of experience and age we should be looking for.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:19 pm

Hopefully this new lad can chip in with a few goals.

Bishop, MacDonald, Tomlinson, Mellis, Shaughnessy, Khan and Smith have combined for just 1 (1!!!) goal in the league this season.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:38 pm

That stat is astounding...
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:41 pm

Cleveland_Stag wrote:Hopefully this new lad can chip in with a few goals.

Bishop, MacDonald, Tomlinson, Mellis, Shaughnessy, Khan and Smith have combined for just 1 (1!!!) goal in the league this season.

Don't think we've had a goal scoring midfielder since Ben Whiteman, and before that it was Adam Chapman in the conference.

If you look back to Luton's promotion from league two, they had midfielders and wingers with 10+ goals. Something we've not managed to recreate.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:39 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Cleveland_Stag wrote:Hopefully this new lad can chip in with a few goals.

Don't think we've had a goal scoring midfielder since Ben Whiteman, and before that it was Adam Chapman in the conference.

If you look back to Luton's promotion from league two, they had midfielders and wingers with 10+ goals. Something we've not managed to recreate.

Sam Clucas was one of the best and I hope our Harry can be as good.

:coys:
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:12 pm

Otis Khan was meant to be our goalscoring midfield player according to David Flitcroft. He got that one massively wrong.

27(15) league appearances and 2 goals in two seasons.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:25 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Otis Khan was meant to be our goalscoring midfield player according to David Flitcroft. He got that one massively wrong.

Im sure at Yeovil he was mostly a winger? We should play him there.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:35 pm

We don't need another left winger. We have CJ Hamilton and he scores goals (sometimes!) :lol:

Very expensive and poor recruitment by David Flitcroft along with Craig Davies, Jorge Grant and Nicky Ajose.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:39 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:We don't need another left winger. We have CJ Hamilton and he scores goals (sometimes!) :lol:

Very expensive and poor recruitment by David Flitcroft along with Craig Davies, Jorge Grant and Nicky Ajose.

You can't say Grant was poor recruitment. Every team in the league would have taken him and some in L1, where he is currently playing regularly and providing assists. You can say his spell didn't work out, or that he was managed poorly, but you can't question the recruitment.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:42 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Otis Khan was meant to be our goalscoring midfield player according to David Flitcroft. He got that one massively wrong.

Im sure at Yeovil he was mostly a winger? We should play him there.

he played on the left of a front 3, he said he prefers this position.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:48 pm

Jorge Grant was the wrong player for the Stags at the time. We already had Jacob Mellis who was playing well in the advanced midfield role. We needed a Plan B up front and we needed to another experienced centre midfield player to help get us over the line. Perhaps DF should have played Will Atkinson more. We are still suffering this season due to not strengthening the midfield.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum