{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Coughlan post match & Sky Sports highlights

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Coughlan post match & Sky Sports highlights

Postby gavinbrookes » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:33 pm

I have to agree. Sad to say that I am not convinced by GC yet. I really hope he proves me wrong but I just don't think he has got a reaction out of the players and find some of his decisions totally baffling.

This terrible bunch of uncommitted players were a point from promotion under Flitcroft.
gavinbrookes
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby tibby » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:36 pm

Typical Mansfield response

Give the bloke a chance. He has inherited a squad of losers. He has to be given time to turn it around.
tibby
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby The One » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:37 pm

gavinbrookes wrote:I have to agree. Sad to say that I am not convinced by GC yet. I really hope he proves me wrong but I just don't think he has got a reaction out of the players and find some of his decisions totally baffling.

This terrible bunch of uncommitted players were a point from promotion under Flitcroft.

And bottled it, Twice
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:42 pm

He got a reaction today. First half an hour we were on it. Yes they had some chances but so did we and we were well worth our lead. The effort was there. Then it stopped and we couldn't keep that level of running up.

They aren't fit enough. Everyone has been saying it all season. The mentality is awful as soon as we're up against it we give up and hoof it.

We need a proper rebuild. This season is over now and it's almost pointless judging the manager until he's had the summer to condition his squad.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby SINA STAG » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:45 pm

Rock bottom

Fans watched this all season

Theres players out there who want to play for Mansfield Town

Players want to work for me n John Dunn

And there's players in that dressing room who dont.

Says it all from the final 30 seconds of GC interview
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:47 pm

FGR fan said to we looked knackered after 30 minutes.
Last edited by Conker on Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:47 pm

Cocker CAN NOT be judged against this squad that were prepared under JD's preseason regime.

We are very poor, and very low on confidence, but the problems currently go way beyond just the manager.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:57 pm

Conker wrote:FGR fan said to we looked knackered after 30 minutes.

Spot on. Macca was blowing earlier than that. I just admit that I don’t see where the fitness training during the season is going to get us anywhere if the players are knackered on a Saturday.

To some extent Cocker has to adapt. Either bring in some pleasers who are fit enough to play your way or don’t go all guns blazing for 30 minutes if you know the players aren’t fit enough to do it for 90.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:19 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:

Spot on. Macca was blowing earlier than that. I just admit that I don’t see where the fitness training during the season is going to get us anywhere if the players are knackered on a Saturday.

To some extent Cocker has to adapt. Either bring in some pleasers who are fit enough to play your way or don’t go all guns blazing for 30 minutes if you know the players aren’t fit enough to do it for 90.

Can very quickly go from fit to couch potato, however couch potato to fit is a very different story. Makes you wonder what fitness regime Daryl Taylor was running that has led these players to become unfit.

30 minutes this week build up the fitness and maybe 45 minutes next week, gonna take time to get them fit probably about a month maybe two.

This season is now about survival, and getting those who remain in the squad fit for next season.
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:32 pm

Stags 2002 wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

Can very quickly go from fit to couch potato, however couch potato to fit is a very different story. Makes you wonder what fitness regime Daryl Taylor was running that has led these players to become unfit.

30 minutes this week build up the fitness and maybe 45 minutes next week, gonna take time to get them fit probably about a month maybe two.

This season is now about survival, and getting those who remain in the squad fit for next season.

We managed 90+ mins at Camebridge
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:58 am

Conrad would have been slaughtered for the first and second goal.
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Maldon Stag » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:58 am

I like him, he knows what he wants, he's identified the players who are part of the rotten apple, he's also identified the players who want to do a job for the club. Give him time and I think he will come good.
Maldon Stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Random Hero » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:03 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Conrad would have been slaughtered for the first and third goal.

First goal solely the fault of Preston. Lost his man AGAIN.

Third goal took a bad deflection (I was right behind the goal)

Their fourth is absolutely criminal. Look at Alistair Smith (who flicked the ball on to their player in the centre of the park to begin the move). Sauntering back rather than busting a gut to stay with his man. Absolutely dreadful.
An der Elbe, werden Träume wahr
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:15 am

arsene wengers coat wrote:Cocker CAN NOT be judged against this squad that were prepared under JD's preseason regime.

We are very poor, and very low on confidence, but the problems currently go way beyond just the manager.

Totally agree AWC. This is Dempsters fault as I've posted elsewhere and I totally believe that GC will do this once he has placed his mark on the club with his own choice of players.
Last edited by Chrisuknottm on Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:17 am

Random Hero wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Conrad would have been slaughtered for the first and third goal.

Their fourth is absolutely criminal. Look at Alistair Smith (who flicked the ball on to their player in the centre of the park to begin the move). Sauntering back rather than busting a gut to stay with his man. Absolutely dreadful.

Just like the Orient game earlier in the season we effectively played with ten men once Smith came on and look what happened in both games. He really is not of the required standard for League 2.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:22 am

Chrisuknottm wrote:
Random Hero wrote:

Just like the Orient game earlier in the season we effectively played with ten men once Smith came on and look what happened in both games. He really is not of the required standard for League 2.

I agree, Chris. The lad is not ready.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:30 am

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
Chrisuknottm wrote:
Random Hero wrote:

I agree, Chris. The lad is not ready.

Well said Edders. Smith doesn’t seem ready, the question for the coaching staff is if they will ever get him to that level. He’s got the potential but it had a big effect yesterday. In my opinion we need at least 1 New Centre back, 2 centre mids and a right winger just to look mid-table.
Jimstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:38 am

Spiritater wrote:
Stags 2002 wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

We managed 90+ mins at Camebridge

Agreed but they won't have been working on building fitness the entire week prior to that game.
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:08 am

So is it wise to sh@g em out all week and them have nothing left after 30mins on a Sat.?
To me defending set peices was more needed
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:56 am

The 5 months of ineptitude Dempster created can't be reversed in the 5 months Coughlan has left this season . Dempsters appointment could well go down as the worst managerial appointment in the clubs history . Give GC the necessary time to sort it , and that means the summer at a minimum .
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:13 am

Spiritater wrote:So is it wise to sh@g em out all week and them have nothing left after 30mins on a Sat.?
To me defending set peices was more needed

How long have they worked on fitness compared to defending?

I wouldn't have a clue.
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:17 am

Jamie wrote:He got a reaction today. First half an hour we were on it. Yes they had some chances but so did we and we were well worth our lead. The effort was there. Then it stopped and we couldn't keep that level of running up.

They aren't fit enough. Everyone has been saying it all season. The mentality is awful as soon as we're up against it we give up and hoof it.

We need a proper rebuild. This season is over now and it's almost pointless judging the manager until he's had the summer to condition his squad.

Its what he said isn't it... playing well, winning, they switch off and FGR score and the Mansfield players freeze. The majority have to go.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:18 am

victor A block wrote:The 5 months of ineptitude Dempster created can't be reversed in the 5 months Coughlan has left this season . Dempsters appointment could well go down as the worst managerial appointment in the clubs history . Give GC the necessary time to sort it , and that means the summer at a minimum .

He needs two seasons minimum as does every manager.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:23 am

Sedgwick wrote:
victor A block wrote:The 5 months of ineptitude Dempster created can't be reversed in the 5 months Coughlan has left this season . Dempsters appointment could well go down as the worst managerial appointment in the clubs history . Give GC the necessary time to sort it , and that means the summer at a minimum .

He needs two seasons minimum as does every manager.

Problem is a lot of fans don't have two seasons worth of patience to give managers. If we start next season poorly, the same lot will start calling for coughlans head after 5 games with a brand new squad.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby tuopolfpilf » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:59 am

Why adopt a style, when you know yourself that you have not got the player's to play it?

Surely any Managers job is to get the best out of the player's available... .
tuopolfpilf
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum