{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

A Message to Drewe Broughton

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: A Message to Drewe Broughton

Postby BigGuy » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:52 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote::D Jamie

It’s lovely to see the bedroom gaming community coming together to look after one of their own.

Quite heart warming and has cheered me up no end.
BigGuy
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:04 pm

He copied that from https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/negativity

Google says: "noun; the expression of criticism of or pessimism about something."
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Dp1976 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:13 pm

It’s all right coming out with all that be we set up at Macclesfield away with what could easily be described as a 9-0-2 formation, negative from the outset, I think the phrase is negativity breads negativity, look in house first for the negativity drew I think
Dp1976
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:15 pm

BigGuy wrote:
EdwinstoweStag wrote::D Jamie

It’s lovely to see the bedroom gaming community coming together to look after one of their own.

Quite heart warming and has cheered me up no end.

Well, for that, I am pleased, BigGuy.

Carry on attacking me, though, if it makes you happy. ;)
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:47 pm

We don't need a 'pop psychologist' to teach the world to sing.

Pessimism is a good starting point. It makes you think about the worst case, and how to avoid it.

Pessimism isn’t just about negative thinking. It also includes a focus on outcomes – that is what you expect will happen in the future. While optimists expect positive outcomes will happen more often than not, pessimists expect negative outcomes are more likely.

There is a particular type of pessimist, the “defensive pessimist”, who takes this negative thinking to a whole new level and actually harnesses it as a means for reaching their goals. Research has shown that this way of thinking helps you to achieve.

Latest research suggest that defensive pessimism is a strategy that people with an anxious disposition use, which might otherwise make them want to run in the opposite direction of their goal rather than pursue it.

The crucial factor is setting low expectations for the outcome of a particular plan or situation – like expecting that you won’t get hired after a job interview – and then envisioning the details of everything that might possibly go wrong to make these worst-case scenarios a reality. This gives the defensive pessimist a plan of action to ensure that any imagined mishaps won’t actually happen – such as practising for the interview and getting there early. Very easy to apply this to football management.

During high-stakes scenarios, defensive pessimists prepare thoroughly by anticipating difficult situations and possible bad outcomes. This foresight helps defensive pessimists stay flexible when the pressure is on.

The benefits of defensive pessimism also extends to actual performance. One study shows that this has everything to do with negative mood. When prompted to be in a good mood, defensive pessimists performed poorly on a series of word puzzles. However, when they were put in bad mood, by being instructed to imagine how a scenario might have negative outcomes, they performed significantly better. This suggests that they harness their negative mood to motivate themselves to perform better and avoid negative outcomes.

There is a lot out there about defensive pessimists and how they are generally better at business, investment and financial matters. Ultimately, it can be an annoying personality trait, but harnessed properly helps you succeed.

I'd prefer this approach to Broughtons 'head in the sand positivity at all costs' approach.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby NorthLondonStag » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:38 pm

Good post AWC.

Some organisations try and harness this sort of thing for large projects. They do this because studies have shown that optimists (project planners) are (not surprisingly) over-optimistic on the potential outcome. This is well documented on large infrastructure projects and the potential costs, which always overrun. Optimists overestimate the upside and downplay the risks.

You therefore set your pessimists to work on the question of ‘how could this go wrong and how would we adjust our approach if it did’? And ‘does the chances of it gong wrong merit the taking of that risk in the first place’?

A well functioning board making an appointment would, it is hoped, be thinking about the downside risks and scenarios when making the managerial appointment.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:57 pm

Watching Mansfield Town for any length of time necessitates “defensive pessimism “. The other way lies madness :shock:
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Chris M » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:21 pm

All this makes me yearn for a simpler time when I first came to Stags, the manager was on the field marshalling his troops, Gerry Clarke and Robbie Cooke were on the bench. No seven subs, no doctors, no fitness coach, no goalkeeping coach, no performance analyst and certainly no place for a Faith Healing Motivational Coach. How things have changed. Not all for the better.
Chris M
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:25 pm

All this "pyscobabble" makes me smile.

Keep it simple, stop the boos, get behind the team and see what happens.

You may be surprised at the positivity it gives to the players. It also makes it harder for the opposition, if the home crowds hostility is directed to the away side.

Strange thing is once they get their confidence back, their play tends to improve , results get better and the positivity then is returned to the fans (with a few exceptions of course ).

Of course most of us know this, but the impatience to get promoted ( and I include the owners in this ), is achieving the opposite.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Beano » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:59 pm

Amber Andy wrote:All this "pyscobabble" makes me smile.

You may be surprised at the positivity it gives to the players. It also makes it harder for the opposition, if the home crowds hostility is directed to the away side.

Strange thing is once they get their confidence back, their play tends to improve , results get better and the positivity then is returned to the fans (with a few exceptions of course ).

Of course most of us know this, but the impatience to get promoted ( and I include the owners in this ), is achieving the opposite.

I don’t disagree with any of that, but when you have the resources to destroy a lowly Macc, turning up to merely “not lose” is hardly the way to get fans onside.

People would be far more supportive, if the manager showed some ambition.

The general malaise starts with the managers tactics.

Getting a guru to explain why we’re all wrong, and JD is doing great things, is hardly helping matters.
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:06 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:
SINA STAG wrote:please tell I don't do Twitter

I'm not on Twitter so could someone answer that one for me point by point.

If you know a woman's got clap and you hump her, you get a disease.
If you keep head butting a wall, you get an injury.
If you keep leaving your windows open, you get something stolen.
If you keep picking the same negative, unimaginative team, you don't get the three points.

Tell him I could do his job!!! :lol:

Simple you can tell hes a dick ,he spells sceptical with a K its sceptical
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:24 pm

Beano wrote:

I don’t disagree with any of that, but when you have the resources to destroy a lowly Macc, turning up to merely “not lose” is hardly the way to get fans onside.

Getting a guru to explain why we’re all wrong, and JD is doing great things, is hardly helping matters.

I agree with you. There is no doubt the failure to get promoted last season by the smallest of margins has had an effect for both the players and us the fans.

Broughton has been brought in to try and do something about that.

I think it was a big mistake bringing JD in as manager, but what was seen as failure by the board, ( of two experienced managers SE and DF), the club were always going to go down the road of someone untried.

The problem is the situation of the managers negativity v some of the fans hostility has turned into a chicken and egg situation.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:13 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
Beano wrote:

I agree with you. There is no doubt the failure to get promoted last season by the smallest of margins has had an effect for both the players and us the fans.

Broughton has been brought in to try and do something about that.

I think it was a big mistake bringing JD in as manager, but what was seen as failure by the board, ( of two experienced managers SE and DF), the club were always going to go down the road of someone untried.

The problem is the situation of the managers negativity v some of the fans hostility has turned into a chicken and egg situation.

A vicious circle, no less?
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby KirkbyStag2 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:24 pm

Last edited by KirkbyStag2 on Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Champions 1974-75, 1976-77, 2012-13

Freight Rover Trophy Winners 1986-87
KirkbyStag2
Manager
Manager

Postby KirkbyStag2 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:26 pm

Last edited by KirkbyStag2 on Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KirkbyStag2
Manager
Manager

Postby KirkbyStag2 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:27 pm

Last edited by KirkbyStag2 on Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KirkbyStag2
Manager
Manager

Postby KirkbyStag2 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:28 pm

KirkbyStag2 wrote:
KirkbyStag2 wrote:
KirkbyStag2 wrote:

KirkbyStag2
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:36 pm

This bloke is the epitomy of every consultant I ever met in my working life.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:50 pm

He’d be a decent MP.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:55 pm

KirkbyStag2 wrote:
KirkbyStag2 wrote:
KirkbyStag2 wrote:
KirkbyStag2 wrote:

Was going to reply but then saw you retweeting conservatives when you're from Kirkby :lol: ... Siri what's the definition of idiot
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby NorthLondonStag » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:57 pm

KirkbyStag2 wrote:
KirkbyStag2 wrote:
KirkbyStag2 wrote:
KirkbyStag2 wrote:

Seems to be peddling the nonsense that 3 points in January - May is worth more than 3 points in October. Simply not true. Three points is 3 points whenever you get it.

Also as Gazza has posted today, and I have posted before, with very few exceptions the promoted teams are already in the top 6 by Christmas and the play off teams are in the top 11/12.

Yes there are exceptions (there always are) but take a look at the December 24th table and the end of
Year tables for the last 5 years.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby I am Spartacus » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:29 pm

When Drew Broughton was brought in I was under the assumption that the High Performance Coaching he was employed for related to the players fitness. Fitness levels that were not at the correct level due to a poor pre-season attributable to the current manager.

A couple of months into his employment and the results are the same, the performances (in my opinion though no doubt this is shared by others) have from an entertaining football perspective tailed off. No discernible improvement in fitness that is getting the desired results. The three centre halves competing for Saturday’s man of the match accolade is to an extent, an award that the managers ought to be ashamed of. Sween’s etc and their bangs etc is not something this club has ever been proud of. What about the other 8 and how they ought to have had an effect on the game??

A couple of months into his employment and all I can see is a ‘Snake Oil Salesman’ paraphrasing Alan Partridge whilst treating football fans with contempt (just because we weren’t a journey man player does not mean we don’t have an informed and insightful opinion on the performance). He has only succeeded in turning the fan base against him.
Even Carlton Palmer took longer to achieve that than Drew.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:31 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
KirkbyStag2 wrote:
KirkbyStag2 wrote:
KirkbyStag2 wrote:
KirkbyStag2 wrote:

Was going to reply but then saw you retweeting conservatives when you're from Kirkby :lol: ... Siri what's the definition of idiot

It seems "Sedgewick" is. What a judgemental fool you are!!
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:45 pm

Regarding Drew’s twitter spats with our fans I think, that as Drew is so fond of quoting, he is best reminded of these words of wisdom from Mark Twain.

‘It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt’.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:14 pm

Surely, no one expects Drew to say yes, I agree, they are all underachieving.

He is looking after his lift to and from Corby.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum