{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Realistically who would you bring in?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Realistically who would you bring in?

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:08 pm

Dan wrote:
Tisdale has said he is having a rest from football for now so that's him ruled out.

I watched the Quest show this evening. I would take with a strong pinch of salt Tisdale saying he's having a rest from football. He did not say it in a convincing way in my opinion. Actually I thought there was a very strong hint in the last 60 seconds of the programme that he might be going to Orient.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:09 pm

Dan wrote:Sol Campbell is Southend manager.

Ian Evatt has just turned down carlisle so he’s not going to come to us when his team are top of the league and playing well.

The reason I mentioned Nolan is because he did a really good job until certain people started interfering. He won’t get that here. He made some really good signings and they played some good football. People can take the piss and laugh but at least I’m suggesting realistic people.

As for me thinking JD is the right man for the job. I’ve never said that on here. People like to read what they want when they’re quick to ridicule thus missing the point, which happens a lot on here. What I have been saying is that he has only had 18 league games, we’re in the knockout stages of both the Leasing.com & FA Cup which I don’t think we’ve done for many years & I don’t think he has been given a fair chance by a lot of people who wanted him out before the first game of the season.

What? :lol:
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:09 pm

Ian Evatt has just turned down carlisle so he’s not going to come to us when his team are top of the league and playing well.

The reason I mentioned Nolan is because he did a really good job until certain people started interfering. He won’t get that here. He made some really good signings and they played some good football. People can take the piss and laugh but at least I’m suggesting realistic people.

As for me thinking JD is the right man for the job. I’ve never said that on here. People like to read what they want when they’re quick to ridicule thus missing the point, which happens a lot on here. What I have been saying is that he has only had 18 league games, we’re in the knockout stages of both the Leasing.com & FA Cup which I don’t think we’ve done for many years & I don’t think he has been given a fair chance by a lot of people who wanted him out before the first game of the season.

Many years, you sure. 2 years, hardly eons is it. We lost to Blackpool and Cardiff respectively.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:18 pm

Dan, you, me or nobody else knows for sure who would or wouldn’t come here, because we’ve no idea what kind of budget or aspirations we would have when appointing our next manager. You flippantly rule people out like Tisdale because of a throw away comment on TV, and you say Jones won’t come here cos of money, it may be a stretch, but he will undoubtedly be looking at league one or two for his next job.

Nobody realistically thought we’d have got Evans in after he had just promoted Rotherham to the Championship, successfully kept them up, and then did a steady job at Leeds. Equally absolutely nobody mentioned Flitcrofts name before we appointed him because he was at another club. The point is until we’re actively looking, nobody knows the list of potential candidates.

As for Dempster, if that’s all you can come up with then it speaks volumes. I’d say 20+ games is enough to see whether somebody isn’t up to the job. Despite having the leagues best defence last year he’s managed to make them look like strangers for large parts of the season. He’s signed 40 goals on paper in cook and Maynard and failed mostly to set the team up to give them the required service, setting up negatively almost every game and everyone knows what’s coming once the team is announced. It’s difficult to see any style of play that he is trying to implement, whereas last year we could. Results are poor, home form is dreadful, league position is well below par. All of this whilst having a top budget, (which I know guarantees nothing but it doesn’t hurt), great facilities, prior knowledge of squad etc.

He’s a really nice bloke who has done some great work for the club and we all wished he could have succeeded, but it seems incredibly unlikely from what we have seen.

P.S, off the top of my mind I’m fairly certain we progressed in both competitions just two years ago.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:30 pm

BH_Stag wrote:

Dan, you, me or nobody else knows for sure who would or wouldn’t come here, because we’ve no idea what kind of budget or aspirations we would have when appointing our next manager. You flippantly rule people out like Tisdale because of a throw away comment on TV, and you say Jones won’t come here cos of money, it may be a stretch, but he will undoubtedly be looking at league one or two for his next job.

Nobody realistically thought we’d have got Evans in after he had just promoted Rotherham to the Championship, successfully kept them up, and then did a steady job at Leeds. Equally absolutely nobody mentioned Flitcrofts name before we appointed him because he was at another club. The point is until we’re actively looking, nobody knows the list of potential candidates.

As for Dempster, if that’s all you can come up with then it speaks volumes. I’d say 20+ games is enough to see whether somebody isn’t up to the job. Despite having the leagues best defence last year he’s managed to make them look like strangers for large parts of the season. He’s signed 40 goals on paper in cook and Maynard and failed mostly to set the team up to give them the required service, setting up negatively almost every game and everyone knows what’s coming once the team is announced. It’s difficult to see any style of play that he is trying to implement, whereas last year we could. Results are poor, home form is dreadful, league position is well below par. All of this whilst having a top budget, (which I know guarantees nothing but it doesn’t hurt), great facilities, prior knowledge of squad etc.

He’s a really nice bloke who has done some great work for the club and we all wished he could have succeeded, but it seems incredibly unlikely from what we have seen.

P.S, off the top of my mind I’m fairly certain we progressed in both competitions just two years ago.

Completely agree with everything BH has said here. If only the Radford’s and the board could compartmentalise the current situation like this :lol:

Also, we’ve reached the knockout stages of the checkatrade/Leasing.Com trophy every season since it’s inception in the 2016/2017 season, so we’ve not broken new ground by qualifying for the knockouts again this season.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:26 am

Apologies I thought it was longer than that.

The above posts are excellent & well put & I agree with nearly everything in them. But what I would say is that JD hasn’t been as lucky with injuries like previous managers. Didn’t we have ten players injured at one point? Also the sending offs have also disrupted the squad, especially the best defence in the league last season. I’m not looking for excuses but you have to weigh it up from both sides & be fair with it.

Absolutely if it’s a full strength squad & he picks a defensive team against Morecambe/Stevenage etc then fair enough he deserves a hammering, but he’s been hammered for his teams when he’s had players out injured which any manager would struggle with & I don’t think that’s fair. Look how our season collapsed last year when Hayden White broke his leg at Colchester & Bobby got ruled out for the season. That was only two players. JD has had loads out injured for long periods of time.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Foresttownstag » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:51 am

Cleveland_Stag wrote:

What? :lol:

Doesn’t every team start in the knockout stage of the FA Cup? :lol:

And ONLY 18 league games, it’s nearly half a season
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby hucknallstag » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:20 am

Is this the same Kevin Nolan who would be kicked out of West Bridgeford bars at 3am in the morning off his trolley? Dan, if in your opinion Nolan is realistic that in itself sums up your level(and others) expectations for the club, we need to be aiming much higher than that and yes, most did want dempster gone early doors because.....he shouldn't have been appointed in the first place.ive heard some rubbish on here but "Nolan" really sums it up for me, sack a novice and install a alcoholic, priceless
hucknallstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:17 am

Carlisle have had over 100 applicants for their vacancy. I don’t think we’d be short of options no matter what Dan tries to tell us.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:21 am

If Nolan is a contender. How about Sir Jack Lester? :lol:
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:27 am

i’ve a feeling that Tisdale will be our next manager !
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:30 am

yorkshire stag wrote:i’ve a feeling that Tisdale will be our next manager !

Why?

Hope you're right, but where is this feeling coming from?
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:33 am

arsene wengers coat wrote:

Why?

Has Carolyn offered to collect him in the Roller?
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:34 am

arsene wengers coat wrote:

Why?

We need an announcement that there is a vacancy before I'd even dare to start hoping it might be Paul Tisdale.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:35 am

No just a gut feeling gents, we will have to wait and see, it’s just he ticks a lot of our boxes

it has to be coming this week, it cannot go on much longer can it?
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:41 am

yorkshire stag wrote:No just a gut feeling gents, we will have to wait and see, it’s just he ticks a lot of our boxes

Of course it can!

If the Board have more faith in JD than the fans do.

I wonder just how concerned (interested) Mr and Mrs Radford are at present.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:50 am

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:No just a gut feeling gents, we will have to wait and see, it’s just he ticks a lot of our boxes

Of course it can!

JR cares, he won’t allow this season to be a write off, proof was the last manager failing then sacked, he will do what needs to be done
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:46 am

yorkshire stag wrote:
EdwinstoweStag wrote:

Of course it can!

JR cares, he won’t allow this season to be a write off, proof was the last manager failing then sacked, he will do what needs to be done

I hope you’re right, yorkshire stag
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:06 pm

I really think the board are hoping for a repeat of out last 2 conference finishes.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:27 pm

gazza1988 wrote:I really think the board are hoping for a repeat of out last 2 conference finishes.

Which would be incredibly naive. They obviously have a lot more faith in Dempster than us fans do. I’d just like to know what Dempster is doing that’s giving them faith?
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:12 pm

hucknallstag wrote:Is this the same Kevin Nolan who would be kicked out of West Bridgeford bars at 3am in the morning off his trolley? Dan, if in your opinion Nolan is realistic that in itself sums up your level(and others) expectations for the club, we need to be aiming much higher than that and yes, most did want dempster gone early doors because.....he shouldn't have been appointed in the first place.ive heard some rubbish on here but "Nolan" really sums it up for me, sack a novice and install a alcoholic, priceless

I’d be very careful with allegations like that especially when you’ve got no proof. Amazing how people were saying he was being thrown out of bars at 3am yet not once was there any photographic proof of it. Incredible when you think that everyone has a camera in their pocket these days & he was such a high profile person. :roll:
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:15 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Carlisle have had over 100 applicants for their vacancy. I don’t think we’d be short of options no matter what Dan tries to tell us.

I’m not trying to tell you anything Sam. I asked people for suggestions of people who would realistically come to us. As you can see from the thread there wasn’t many realistic suggestions.

As for the over 100 applications, you do realise that you could apply for the job don’t you?! :roll:
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:18 pm

Dan wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:Carlisle have had over 100 applicants for their vacancy. I don’t think we’d be short of options no matter what Dan tries to tell us.

I’m not trying to tell you anything Sam. I asked people for suggestions of people who would realistically come to us. As you can see from the thread there wasn’t many realistic suggestions.

As for the over 100 applications, you do realise that you could apply for the job don’t you?! :roll:

I have!
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby StagsFan83 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:19 pm

I think we obviously need a swift appointment, but I think we also need to advertise the post, we could be pleasantly surprised by who shows an interest..
StagsFan83
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:23 pm

How about Drewe Broughton for manager?
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum