{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Realistically who would you bring in?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Realistically who would you bring in?

Postby HughesyStag89 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:23 pm

Nathan Jones

We can afford to pay a “prolific goal scorer” in Nicky Maynard but can’t afford a manager that may be able to get the best out of our players
HughesyStag89
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:13 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:
yellowstagsfan wrote:
wink68 wrote:Boltons assistant manager.

Good Call

He wouldn't come back here. We had a poor pre season, our fitness levels aren't up to last season (I'm not saying we aren't fit, just last seasons was higher) and he's got a hell of a job on his hands.

I don't think he would have an issue with the signings but he's not had them for pre season so they aren't at his standards.

Also, above all else it would be indicative that the board made a huge error. The egos won't take it. They can say we tried a young manager and it hasn't worked. No way would Flitcroft come back, even if he wanted to.

And a good few of us wouldn't want him back thank you very much. If we did we wouldn't progress and that's not what most fans want. He's had two tries and failed, why repeat the process?.

It's a moot point because he won't be back but won't progress under him? He took over a manager who finished 12th the season before. Had no transfer window and managed 8th (progress by 4 places) sfter 2 transfer windows and lots of praise from fellow professionals and opposing fans and 4 players in the league teams of the year he finished 4th (again progress by 4 places) he's then sacked.

On which version of reality is that 1. Failing and 2. Not progressing?

What you are conveniently forgetting is that we weren't 12th when he took over. We were 4th with a game in hand on 3rd with only 12 games to go. We managed to drop out of a playoff position which was almost nailed on. The team were on a good run of form and moving up the table not down it. There was no interim period of instability between the abandonment and his appointment so no disruption to the players by uncertainty where we were going.

In his full season in charge, he failed to get us promoted despite being given every facility to succeed.

That's the version of reality which I call failing.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:58 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
It's a moot point because he won't be back but won't progress under him? He took over a manager who finished 12th the season before. Had no transfer window and managed 8th (progress by 4 places) sfter 2 transfer windows and lots of praise from fellow professionals and opposing fans and 4 players in the league teams of the year he finished 4th (again progress by 4 places) he's then sacked.

What you are conveniently forgetting is that we weren't 12th when he took over. We were 4th with a game in hand on 3rd with only 12 games to go. We managed to drop out of a playoff position which was almost nailed on. The team were on a good run of form and moving up the table not down it. There was no interim period of instability between the abandonment and his appointment so no disruption to the players by uncertainty where we were going.

In his full season in charge, he failed to get us promoted despite being given every facility to succeed.

:lol: what you are conveniently forgetting is we were 5th (not 4th) when he took over (that's actual reality) , with a game in hand on 3rd. However the team in 6th had a game in hand on us and was 2 points away from us. Seeing as though you seem to think that games in hand means 3 points that would still put 6th into 3rd and us into 4th.

The was instability. Peterborough, stags and Swindon all fell out of form and finished poorly. It wasn't just us.

So, in short, your version of reality isn't even factually correct.

Was he given every facility to succeed? I seem to remmeber he had to sell players to free up budget he hadn't spent. That's not giving every facility to succeed. I know you will say about how they can't just give him more money and I agree. To then claim he was given EVERY facility to succeed is inaccurate. This season would have been his do or die season. All the players he transfer listed have moved on and budget isn't taken up. Also, players he signed on 2 year or 18 month deals would still be with him. If he failed to get promotion then his successor would have a 'cleaner slate" to work with.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby bigalstag » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:28 pm

I don't mind who they bring in,as long as Hymas has no part in the selection.
bigalstag
First Team
First Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:45 pm

bigalstag wrote:I don't mind who they bring in,as long as Hymas has no part in the selection.

Which he obviously will.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby smulls » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:18 pm

Steve Cotterill
smulls
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby KirkbyStag2 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:01 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:

:lol: what you are conveniently forgetting is we were 5th (not 4th) when he took over (that's actual reality) , with a game in hand on 3rd. However the team in 6th had a game in hand on us and was 2 points away from us. Seeing as though you seem to think that games in hand means 3 points that would still put 6th into 3rd and us into 4th.

The was instability. Peterborough, stags and Swindon all fell out of form and finished poorly. It wasn't just us.

Was he given every facility to succeed? I seem to remmeber he had to sell players to free up budget he hadn't spent. That's not giving every facility to succeed. I know you will say about how they can't just give him more money and I agree. To then claim he was given EVERY facility to succeed is inaccurate. This season would have been his do or die season. All the players he transfer listed have moved on and budget isn't taken up. Also, players he signed on 2 year or 18 month deals would still be with him. If he failed to get promotion then his successor would have a 'cleaner slate" to work with.

The table prior to Flitcoft's 1st game

................PLD....PTS...PPG
Luton.........35......69...1.97
Accy...........34.....65...1.91
Wycombe....35.....62...1.77
--------------------------
Notts Co.....35......61...1.74
STAGS.......34......60...1.76
Exeter........33......58...1.76
Swindon.....35......57...1.63
Coventry....34.......54...1.59

However, Stags were in great form, CHAMPIONS form.

Steve Evans last 18 League games,

PLD...W...D...L...PTS...PPG
.18...11...5...2....38...2.11 :D
Accy won the the League with PPG 2.02

Flitcroft's 1st 12 League games,

.PLD...W...D...L...PTS...PPG
.12.....2...6....4...12....1.00 :shock:
Barnet were relegated with PPG 1.00

So from Evans to Flitcroft we went from CHAMPIONS form to RELEGATION form :shock:

If Flitcroft had continued the PPG of 2.11 as per Evans last 18 League games Stags would have been promoted in 3rd place.
If Flitcroft had continued the season PPG of 1.76 prior to his arrival Stags would have finished 4th, play-offs.

I would not have been surprised if Flitcroft had gone after his 1st 12 games.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flitcoft's last 15 League games,

Dempster's League record,

So, Flitcroft's final 15 games were very similar to Dempster's record.

With a TOP 3 budget, I was not at all surprised at Flitcroft's dismissal and I wouldn't be surprised at Dempster's.

That said, if Stags put a 3 or 4 game winning run together the table and fans mood would be significantly better.

:coys:
Champions 1974-75, 1976-77, 2012-13

Freight Rover Trophy Winners 1986-87
KirkbyStag2
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:12 pm

I would bring in someone with experience who would have the players respect.

That person would have to be a little like the scotsman in so much as the players didn't particularly enjoy his company but they generally played for him.

You can't have a mate running the show, ask Murray, internal promotions to manager rarely work unless the playing staff changes completely.

My view.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Showaddywaddy » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:31 pm

Dave Artell
More People Use Sankey Than For Any Other Reason
Showaddywaddy
Manager
Manager

Postby natfromboza » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:34 pm

1. Nathan Jones
2. Darryl Clarke
3. Dave Artell

People probably think Clarke is struggling at Walsall but he has no money whatsoever. When they played us they had 2 players on £100 a week playing in the first eleven. Any of the 3 listed would be a massive improvement for me!!
natfromboza
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:34 pm

Showaddywaddy wrote:Dave Artell

No thanks.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:55 pm

KirkbyStag2 wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:

The table prior to Flitcoft's 1st game

................PLD....PTS...PPG
Luton.........35......69...1.97
Accy...........34.....65...1.91
Wycombe....35.....62...1.77
Notts Co.....35......61...1.74
STAGS.......34......60...1.76
Exeter........33......58...1.76
Swindon.....35......57...1.63
Coventry....34.......54...1.59

However, Stags were in great form, CHAMPIONS form.

Steve Evans last 18 League games,

PLD...W...D...L...PTS...PPG
.18...11...5...2....38...2.11 :D
Accy won the the League with PPG 2.02

Flitcroft's 1st 12 League games,

.12.....2...6....4...12....1.00 :shock:
Barnet were relegated with PPG 1.00

So from Evans to Flitcroft we went from CHAMPIONS form to RELEGATION form :shock:

If Flitcroft had continued the PPG of 2.11 as per Evans last 18 League games Stags would have been promoted in 3rd place.
If Flitcroft had continued the season PPG of 1.76 prior to his arrival Stags would have finished 4th, play-offs.

I would not have been surprised if Flitcroft had gone after his 1st 12 games.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flitcoft's last 15 League games,

Dempster's League record,

So, Flitcroft's final 15 games were very similar to Dempster's record.

With a TOP 3 budget, I was not at all surprised at Flitcroft's dismissal and I wouldn't be surprised at Dempster's.

That said, if Stags put a 3 or 4 game winning run together the table and fans mood would be significantly better.

:coys:

Talk about cherry picking stats. :lol: :lol:

Relegation form using another managers signings with no chance of changing that. I'm not suprised. Evans drew his first game that season so that's 46 points over the course of a season. relegation form. :lol:

Like I said before it's all a moot point.

Here's a manager idea that is out of nowhere. Stuart Pearce?
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Grendon Stag » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:08 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
Grendon Stag wrote:
yellowstagsfan wrote:

Good Call

How the raspberry is it a good call?? The bloke failed miserably not once but twice.

Not his fault the first time. Get over it.

Highest finish we've had for how many years? Whilst having 5/6 players sat in the stands. He did incredibly well considering and should still be here.

Well he's not thank god!!
Grendon Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby KirkbyStag2 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:26 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
Grendon Stag wrote:
yellowstagsfan wrote:

Good Call

How the raspberry is it a good call?? The bloke failed miserably not once but twice.

Highest finish we've had for how many years? Whilst having 5/6 players sat in the stands. He did incredibly well considering and should still be here.

Not his fault :lol:

He did incredibly well :lol:

Did you actually go to any of the last dozen games in the last 2 seasons, or even see the results?
Champions 1974-75, 1976-77, 2012-13

Freight Rover Trophy Winners 1986-87
KirkbyStag2
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:36 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
Grendon Stag wrote:
yellowstagsfan wrote:

Good Call

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:57 pm

Right then, so the main people moaning on here about getting rid of Dempster haven't actually replied with a managers name they want to replace him. Shock!

Reading through this thread we've had:

1. Nathan Jones
2. Darrell Clarke
3. Paul Tisdale
4. Dave Artell
5. Stuart Pearce
6. Steve Cotterill
7. Tony Adams

Apologies if I've missed any off.

If we did a poll I reckon Jones would come out on top, but he was on £20,000 a week at Stoke allegedly. We wouldn't be able to pay him a quarter of that, plus I think he's waiting for the Luton job which could be available soon. I think we can safely rule him out.

We could be waiting for Clarkey to get the sack at Walsall before sacking JD & bringing him in. If they lose to Darlo on Tuesday night then I can see him getting the sack. So there's probably a good chance of us getting him in.

Tisdale has said he is having a rest from football for now so that's him ruled out.

Artell is already in a job.

Pearce, Cotterill & Adams are frankly ridiculous suggestions as none of them will know anything about League Two & what it's all about plus will want tens of thousands a week too.

So there's not all that much about really. Surely we don't want to go down the poaching another teams manager again. So what else can we do?

The only other name out there not in a job who I would consider is Kevin Nolan. He's local, got recent experience of getting a team to the League Two play offs & tried to play some good football, so he would be my preferred choice.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:02 pm

Dan wrote:Right then, so the main people moaning on here about getting rid of Dempster haven't actually replied with a managers name they want to replace him. Shock!

1. Nathan Jones
2. Darrell Clarke
3. Paul Tisdale
4. Dave Artell
5. Stuart Pearce
6. Steve Cotterill
7. Tony Adams

If we did a poll I reckon Jones would come out on top, but he was on £20,000 a week at Stoke allegedly. We wouldn't be able to pay him a quarter of that, plus I think he's waiting for the Luton job which could be available soon. I think we can safely rule him out.

We could be waiting for Clarkey to get the sack at Walsall before sacking JD & bringing him in. If they lose to Darlo on Tuesday night then I can see him getting the sack. So there's probably a good chance of us getting him in.

Tisdale has said he is having a rest from football for now so that's him ruled out.

Pearce, Cotterill & Adams are frankly ridiculous suggestions as none of them will know anything about League Two & what it's all about plus will want tens of thousands a week too.

So there's not all that much about really. Surely we don't want to go down the poaching another teams manager again. So what else can we do?

The only other name out there not in a job who I would consider is Kevin Nolan. He's local, got recent experience of getting a team to the League Two play offs & tried to play some good football,so he would be my preferred choice

Who’d have thought it :roll: :lol:
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:08 pm

BH_Stag wrote:
Dan wrote:Right then, so the main people moaning on here about getting rid of Dempster haven't actually replied with a managers name they want to replace him. Shock!

1. Nathan Jones
2. Darrell Clarke
3. Paul Tisdale
4. Dave Artell
5. Stuart Pearce
6. Steve Cotterill
7. Tony Adams

The only other name out there not in a job who I would consider is Kevin Nolan. He's local, got recent experience of getting a team to the League Two play offs & tried to play some good football,so he would be my preferred choice

Remind me of your suggestion again? :roll:
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:13 pm

1. Nathan Jones
2. Darrell Clarke
3. Paul Tisdale
4. Dave Artell
5. Stuart Pearce
6. Steve Cotterill
7. Tony Adams

The only other name out there not in a job who I would consider is Kevin Nolan. He's local, got recent experience of getting a team to the League Two play offs & tried to play some good football, so he would be my preferred choice.

Haven't we had enough problems this season with late night drunkards?
Calls everyone else then comes up with an alky
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:13 pm

Dan, I wouldn’t want him, but why would Cotterill know nothing about League Two? He’s managed in it umpteen times?

Also, why does someone being in a job preclude them from joining us?

You missed out Heckingbottom as well.

John Terry seems to be pretty friendly with our chief exec.
Last edited by MTFCMusings on Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:15 pm

Dan wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:

1. Nathan Jones
2. Darrell Clarke
3. Paul Tisdale
4. Dave Artell
5. Stuart Pearce
6. Steve Cotterill
7. Tony Adams

Someone suggested Ian Evatt. ( No me bytheway).
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:16 pm

Dan wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:

1. Nathan Jones
2. Darrell Clarke
3. Paul Tisdale
4. Dave Artell
5. Stuart Pearce
6. Steve Cotterill
7. Tony Adams

I said in my post, Jones or Tisdale - maybe have another read.

I also said that you often don’t know who is in the frame until there is actually a vacancy. You make the point that ‘there’s not really that much about really’ ... when is there ever a host of top managers out of work waiting to be picked up by a league 2 club? I’ll answer for you, barely ever, but that doesn’t mean you just stick with something that so obviously isn’t working. You interview people for the role, maybe put across our project to managers that are a bit more of a stretch for us, then take your pick.

Without referencing what happened to Notts County when they changed manager, or saying ‘it’s only November’, specifically what makes you think Dempster is the man for the job or gives you confidence that he can take us forward, having only seen us play two or three times?
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:41 pm

1. Nathan Jones
2. Darrell Clarke
3. Paul Tisdale
4. Dave Artell
5. Stuart Pearce
6. Steve Cotterill
7. Tony Adams

You bemoan Flitcroft for not finishing the job with Stags last season but how is Nolan any different or better? He had an expensive County side in the top 3 for quite a while before it all went pear shaped in the final 3rd of the season, cumulating in a playoff loss against Coventry. He then had an awful transfer window in the summer which led to a terrible start to the next season and his sacking.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:44 pm

Sol Campbell? Worked wonders at Macclesfield with no money. Not everyone's cup of tea though.

In the new football manager game Dempster was sacked in April with us in 6th (oddly enough in November we were 13th in game) sold Otis Khan for £240k before the season started and apparently we interviewed Adam Barrett but went for an unemployed Gary Bowyer. I should point out that in the game anything other than automatic promotion will not do. Apparently the news report of his sacking said it was a long time coming and had won 1 game in 5 so got the chop.

I know its a game and not accurate to final league table and/or results. However 2nd game we did come from behind to scrape draw with morecambe after going down to 10 men. With fans in the social feed calling it dross. Which I found hilarious for obvious reasons.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:54 pm

Sol Campbell is Southend manager.

Ian Evatt has just turned down carlisle so he’s not going to come to us when his team are top of the league and playing well.

The reason I mentioned Nolan is because he did a really good job until certain people started interfering. He won’t get that here. He made some really good signings and they played some good football. People can take the piss and laugh but at least I’m suggesting realistic people.

As for me thinking JD is the right man for the job. I’ve never said that on here. People like to read what they want when they’re quick to ridicule thus missing the point, which happens a lot on here. What I have been saying is that he has only had 18 league games, we’re in the knockout stages of both the Leasing.com & FA Cup which I don’t think we’ve done for many years & I don’t think he has been given a fair chance by a lot of people who wanted him out before the first game of the season.
Dan
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum