{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Stagsnet report

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Stagsnet report

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:05 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Re: Stagsnet report

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:24 pm

KP man of the match?

He made an error trying tricks in the box and put the ball out for a corner. I think you said he slipped, it didn't look like a slip to me. looked like he tried to turn and backheeled the ball out.
Also, he tried it again on the edge of the box and got caught in possession.

Both were in the first half I think. I couldn't skip back to watch it again at the time and I had forgot about it until now.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Number63 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:26 pm

What a great away support.
Not much matches Mansfield
Number63
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:26 pm

gazza1988 wrote:KP man of the match?

He made an error trying tricks in the box and put the ball out for a corner. I think you said he slipped, it didn't look like a slip to me. looked like he tried to turn and backheeled the ball out.

Both were in the first half I think. I couldn't skip back to watch it again at the time and I had forgot about it until now.

I'm going through again, I think he had a good game with several good tackles, but I might switch to Preston or Sweeney.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:12 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:KP man of the match?

I'm going through again, I think he had a good game with several good tackles, but I might switch to Preston or Sweeney.

I'm going to stick with Pearce. Preston's back pass that nearly gifted the game to Macclesfield in stoppage time prevents me giving it to Preston.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:13 pm

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:58 am

We thought that Matt Preston was Man of the Match followed by Ryan Sweeney.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby northern stag » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:15 am

Respect to Martin for watching that game twice...on my one viewing I had Pearce as MOM , but you would have to pay me to make me watch that again!!
northern stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:11 am

The back three were all equally men of the match in my eyes.
They were constantly under pressure due to the dross in front of them and that includes Shaughnessy who continues to contribute as much as the other two statues.
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:37 am

Shaughnessy was bright, confident, and positive when he joined us. Do you think he may have been “Dempstered”
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:11 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:I'm going to stick with Pearce. Preston's back pass that nearly gifted the game to Macclesfield in stoppage time prevents me giving it to Preston.

I think you are being a bit hard on Matt Preston again Martin. There was nothing wrong with Matt Preston's back pass and it was the natural pass for him to make. There was plenty of time for Conrad Logan to clear it. It would have been worse if Matt Preston had dwelt on the ball and been caught in possession.

Krystian Pearce dwelt on the ball in the area on 54 minutes and needlessly conceded a corner. He then tried to dribble out of defence and got caught in possession. That's why I had him behind Matt Preston and Ryan Sweeney. Perhaps I'm being harsh. :)

Matt Preston and Krystian Pearce both had the top rating for Mansfield of 7.4 on Who Scored?

Aerial Duals Won
Ryan Sweeney 5
Matt Preston 4
Krystian Pearce 2

Tackles Won
Matt Preston 4
Krystian Pearce 4
Ryan Sweeney 1

Dispossessed
Matt Preston 0
Krystian Pearce 1
Ryan Sweeney 1

Pass Success
Ryan Sweeney 36 out of 50 (72%)
Krystian Pearce 26 out of 41 (63%)
Matt Preston 23 out of 44 (62%)
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:20 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:I'm going to stick with Pearce. Preston's back pass that nearly gifted the game to Macclesfield in stoppage time prevents me giving it to Preston.

I think you are being a bit hard on Matt Preston again Martin. There was nothing wrong with Matt Preston's back pass and it was the natural pass for him to make. There was plenty of time for Conrad Logan to clear it. It would have been worse if Matt Preston had dwelt on the ball and been caught in possession.

Krystian Pearce dwelt on the ball in the area on 54 minutes and needlessly conceded a corner. He then tried to dribble out of defence and got caught in possession. That's why I had him behind Matt Preston and Ryan Sweeney. Perhaps I'm being harsh. :)

Matt Preston and Krystian Pearce both had the top rating for Mansfield of 7.4 on Who Scored?

Aerial Duals Won
Ryan Sweeney 5
Matt Preston 4
Krystian Pearce 2

Tackles Won
Matt Preston 4
Krystian Pearce 4
Ryan Sweeney 1

Dispossessed
Matt Preston 0
Krystian Pearce 1
Ryan Sweeney 1

Pass Success
Ryan Sweeney 36 out of 50 (72%)
Krystian Pearce 26 out of 41 (63%)
Matt Preston 23 out of 44 (62%)

I agree TTF. The Chief was guilty of being a bit of a “Fancy Dan” on more than one occasion.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:26 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:Shaughnessy was bright, confident, and positive when he joined us. Do you think he may have been “Dempstered”

I thought Conor Shaughnessy played ok in the first half. I like him because he is our only holding midfield player who seems to want to receive the ball from our defenders and then to try and make a forward pass. Daryl McMahon spotted this because he started screaming at a Macclesfield player to mark Shaughnessy.

This season our defence have often been playing the ball from side to side at the back, usually 10-15 yards in our own half, and Neal Bishop and Alex MacDonald have not been moving around to find a pocket of space where they can receive the ball and then play the ball forward or out wide. They have often been fairly static or stood right next to or on top of our defence. This then forces the defenders into eventually playing a long ball forward where we are more likely to lose possession.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:32 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:
EdwinstoweStag wrote:Shaughnessy was bright, confident, and positive when he joined us. Do you think he may have been “Dempstered”

I thought Conor Shaughnessy played ok in the first half. I like him because he is our only holding midfield player who seems to want to receive the ball from our defenders and then to try and make a forward pass. Daryl McMahon spotted this because he started screaming at a Macclesfield player to mark Shaughnessy.

This season our defence have often been playing the ball from side to side at the back, usually 10-15 yards in our own half, and Neal Bishop and Alex MacDonald have not been moving around to find a pocket of space where they can receive the ball and then play the ball forward or out wide. They have often been fairly static or stood right next to or on top of our defence. This then forces the defenders into eventually playing a long ball forward where we are more likely to lose possession.

Jeez TTF do you want to be manager....I'd vote for you!! Why can't Dempster see exactly that which we've all seen and do something about it !!
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:40 pm

Here's another talking point. I've stopped the video a few times and I think Mal Benning may have been onside when he burst through and I think we would have had a good shout for a penalty. However Nicky Maynard might have been offside when Alex MacDonald played the ball through to him.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:12 pm

We’ve been doing it all season but I’ve no idea why we keep trying to play from the back with no clear idea of how to play through the thirds. At Darren says, none of the midfielders apart from Shaugnessy want the ball, the defenders don’t have an option, and we end up back at the keeper or losing possession. It’s pathetic and one of the main areas Dempster continues to fail tactically after four months of playing games.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:35 pm

I noticed a few times that our defence did pass to the midfield a few times who then played it to the forwards. Sounds good, right? however the defence were level with the penalty spot and could have high five'd the midfield after they passed it to them. Then long kick for the strikers to run onto. Striker dispossessed. They pass it around their midfield while our midfield and defence were so close together they could have held each others hands waiting in fear of the next attack.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:49 pm

gazza1988 wrote:I noticed a few times that our defence did pass to the midfield a few times who then played it to the forwards. Sounds good, right? however the defence were level with the penalty spot and could have high five'd the midfield after they passed it to them. Then long kick for the strikers to run onto. Striker dispossessed. They pass it around their midfield while our midfield and defence were so close together they could have held each others hands waiting in fear of the next attack.

In a nutshell, we presented the other MTFC with little to worry about in terms of attacking penetration. Maynard & Cook were so badly served that (worryingly) they seemed to lose interest.
Last edited by EdwinstoweStag on Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:44 pm

Truth is we were so devoid of any attacking threat it was a disgrace dempster is sucking the life out of us
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:04 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:In a nutshell, we presented the other MTFC with little to worry about in terms of attacking penetration. Maynard & Cook were so badly served that (worryingly) they seemed to lose interest.

I made the same point Edders yesterday to Martin and Dean at the end of the game. There's no point having decent strikers up front if you cannot get the ball to them.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:14 pm

Maybe it's part of Drewe's positivity coaching. They all stand and hold hands while singing kumbaya. They assume they have to play close together too.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum