{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Grimsby Town part company with manager

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Grimsby Town part company with manager

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:08 pm

STAGS FOR LIFE wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
oldweststander wrote:Holloway could have been the other candidate?

What other candidate ?

Are you actually trying to wind people up? Or just genuinely dim

Club advertised they were looking for new managers, met with possible candidates that came forward, they chose Graham, approached Bristol and offered him a contract. Carolyn has already said this.

Please show a bit of respect. You have called me a "div" and now I'm "dim". This board is about opinions. My opinion is that given the very short time between the sacking of JD and approaching GC the job cannot have been advertised in the traditional way.

If you have a different opinion fair enough, but time to cut out the insults to me and others on here.

End of! :(

;) JD
Thankyou for the correction :lol:
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:52 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

What other candidate ?

Club advertised they were looking for new managers, met with possible candidates that came forward, they chose Graham, approached Bristol and offered him a contract. Carolyn has already said this.

Please show a bit of respect. You have called me a "div" and now I'm "dim". This board is about opinions. My opinion is that given the very short time between the sacking of DF and approaching GC the job cannot have been advertised in the traditional way. I'm not saying the club have acted in a wrong way. I'm simply saying they ought to have drawn breath before appointing a successor.

If you have a different opinion fair enough, but time to cut out the insults to me and others on here.

Agreed. Please cut out the insults, there's no need for it.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby SINA STAG » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:29 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

What other candidate ?

Please show a bit of respect. You have called me a "div" and now I'm "dim". This board is about opinions. My opinion is that given the very short time between the sacking of DF and approaching GC the job cannot have been advertised in the traditional way. I'm not saying the club have acted in a wrong way. I'm simply saying they ought to have drawn breath before appointing a successor.

Agreed. Please cut out the insults, there's no need for it.

Oh the Irony Martin couldn't make it up.never mind write it on a public forum
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby marker_mtfc95 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:49 am

Looks as though Holloway be next Grimsby manager. Be an interesting match this weekend.
Mansfield till I die
marker_mtfc95
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:32 am

GC has a pigs ear of a team, Holloway will inherit one also. GC's had three waves of the wand and the pigs ear is still a pigs ear. If Holloway makes a silk purse on Saturday with probably his first wave then this forum will melt Sat night
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:50 am

And you for one will have a warm funny feeling inside if we lose to Grimsby I'm sure....
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:02 am

Spiritater wrote:GC has a pigs ear of a team, Holloway will inherit one also. GC's had three waves of the wand and the pigs ear is still a pigs ear. If Holloway makes a silk purse on Saturday with probably his first wave then this forum will melt Sat night

Only in your house.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:17 am

Captain Cunno wrote:And you for one will have a warm funny feeling inside if we lose to Grimsby I'm sure....

Stating what'll happen if we lose bud. Do you think it'll be any different?
I have shyt weekend when we lose, and unlike some on here NEVER want us to lose.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:21 am

It wont be in melt down pal. The odd lunatic will lose his head as per but most folk realise we just need to stay up and let GC do his job...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:22 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
Spiritater wrote:GC has a pigs ear of a team, Holloway will inherit one also. GC's had three waves of the wand and the pigs ear is still a pigs ear. If Holloway makes a silk purse on Saturday with probably his first wave then this forum will melt Sat night

Only in your house.

Really! Do you honestly think the MB wont melt if we crumble to Grimsby
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:24 am

Spiritater wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

Only in your house.

Really! Do you honestly think the MB wont melt if we crumble to Grimsby

It shouldn't do, but then i'm relying on posters having common sense and patience, which seems to be in short supply around here.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:35 pm

Ian Holloway is a good, experienced manager. A good track record at a higher level. Would have liked him here.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:46 pm

Vice President wrote:Ian Holloway is a good, experienced manager. A good track record at a higher level. Would have liked him here.

Think GC will be a good manager for us long term. This may require a bit more patience than some on here would normally like to give. A lot to be said for having a manager living local too, not spending half his working week on the M5 as Holloway would be doing.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:09 pm

As someone who predicted from the start that the JD appointment was going to be a failure....yep toss of a coin I know to some....I have nothing but faith in Graham Coughlan to turn it round which clearly he's not going to do within the first games at this time of year. Contrary to JD I have confidence in his managerial credentials and him as a manager to sort out who he wants in his team and to take two transfer windows to make his imprint on our club. All he has to do between now and April is that and save us from the threat of relegation that Dempsters tenure was always likely to bring. In GC I trust.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby adamstag » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:30 pm

It’s an interesting signing for Grimsby but in honesty I’d much rather have coughlan as a manager in league 2 than Holloway - what does he know about league 2 football? Basically nothing.

Will be interesting to see how it works out
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:40 pm

:D Be interesting if little Hardy tuns up :lol:

https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2 ... m-manager/
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:02 pm

Interesting that Grimsby have allowed Mr Holloway to buy shares in the club and that he will be attending board meetings. That seems ok until they are failing and it may not be so easy to give him the Spanish archer.
Last edited by Sandy Pate Best Stag on Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:06 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Rinse resting that Grimsby have allowed Mr Holloway to buy shares in the club and that he will be attending board meetings. That seems ok until they are failing and it may not be so easy to give him the Spanish archer.

Less chance of him walking out on them, like the Scottish manager. :D
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:15 pm

They have given him shares in the club....
Wow.
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby mousemousemouse » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:46 pm

The shares bit is interesting. Maybe couldn’t meet his wage demands and so offered shares as well?
mousemousemouse
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby NorthLondonStag » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:17 pm

Whether the shares are worth anything/nothing will depend on their terms (as to profit and voting) - query the value of a minority shareholding in a lower league club, though, but clearly we are not privy to all facts and negotiations.

As regards getting rid of IH, as referred to above, a lot of employee-based share schemes for private companies contain 'leaver' provisions that allow the employer to require a transfer back when someone leaves, at a price to be determined. That will depend of course on what's been negotiated. Or perhaps he gets to keep the shares, but remains very much in the minority, which usually means you don't have much say.

MTFC has a list of individual shareholders that run to several pages at Companies House, but I presume JR controls through his majority shareholding, including the preference shares he holds that would normally rank ahead of the ordinary shares.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:12 pm

I understand that NLS but the point that I was making is that the board won't be able to discuss his possible dismissal without him being present and listening to who has the knives out.

It just seems a strange set up to me.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:18 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:I understand that NLS but the point that I was making is that the board won't be able to discuss his possible dismissal without him being present and listening to who has the knives out.

Why not, I would have thought the decision to sack Dempster was made weeks ago and you just got to listen to JD’s interviews in the preceding weeks and he knew he was a gonner
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:25 pm

Ian Holloway... Their fans are going mad that they didn't advertise the job and interview candidates.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby NorthLondonStag » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:41 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:I understand that NLS but the point that I was making is that the board won't be able to discuss his possible dismissal without him being present and listening to who has the knives out.

It all depends on what's been agreed, but I don't think that's correct Sedgwick.

The quote doesn't say that he's going to be a director on the board: "He will also acquire shares in the club and will commit to attending full board meetings." That seems carefully worded to me - if he was going to be appointed a director then maybe they would just have said so? Just because he's committed to attend meetings doesn't mean he has the right to do so.

2. In any case you don't necessarily need a full board meeting of all of the directors to remove him as a director. The majority shareholder can probably remove him as a director by passing a shareholder resolution.

3. Even if you did need a full board meeting he could probably be required to leave the meeting when they discussed his position, under the Articles of Association.

4. And on top of that the right to fire him as an employee (ie manager) might lie solely with the CEO or the Chairman (and not the board) - that depends on how their corporate governance is set up. Most boards would discuss it but they don't necessarily need to.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum