{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

A results based game

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

A results based game

Postby NorthLondonStag » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:08 pm

A while ago, when we played well and had twenty chances in a game but didn't win, several people told me that was irrelevant as 'it's a results-based game' and you had to win/draw games, not just play well.

Since the start of October, in all competitions and by may calculations we've:

Won 6
Drawn 2
Lost 2

Goals for: 15
Goals against: 7

Performances aside would people agree that, overall, the recent results are actually quite good?
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Re: A results based game

Postby Dan » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:11 pm

Great post but sadly you're flogging a dead horse. We've got some people on here who are like the spoilt child remoaners, they refuse to accept what has happened & keep stamping their feet hoping the decision will be changed. Sadly meaning that JD will never get their backing, even if he gets us promotion & will always be one defeat away from people wanting him sacked.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:20 pm

The home form is JD's big problem. That's where the majority of fans watch the team and what the majority of fans form their opinion from. I won't include the Checkatrade or whatever it's called, so at home since October we've played 4, won 2, lost 2. The two we've won were against nine men and a non-league team, so there can be question marks there.

The away form since then has been very good, but only 10-20% of home fans travel away.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:23 pm

It's not just the results at home, it's the performance. It has been very poor.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby NorthLondonStag » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:27 pm

do you think in some small way that the dissatisfaction of the fans might be linked to the home results, rather than the other way round?
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:33 pm

NorthLondonStag wrote:do you think in some small way that the dissatisfaction of the fans might be linked to the home results, rather than the other way round?
I don't think the toxic atmosphere at home games is helping. It has been said the players don't enjoy playing at home at the moment. I think it's a chicken and egg situation.
Last edited by Amber Andy on Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby NorthLondonStag » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:33 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:The home form is JD's big problem. That's where the majority of fans watch the team and what the majority of fans form their opinion from. I won't include the Checkatrade or whatever it's called, so at home since October we've played 4, won 2, lost 2. The two we've won were against nine men and a non-league team, so there can be question marks there.
The away form since then has been very good, but only 10-20% of home fans travel away.

Not disputing any of that, but you are answering a question that wasn’t asked. I never mentioned JD.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:40 pm

We need to be better though. Some may think we’re in the midst of some decent league form however that gap between us and the top 7/top 3 just keeps on growing. Hopefully our poor home form will change for the better very soon or any hopes of finishing in the top 7 will be a pipe dream by Christmas.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:49 pm

NorthLondonStag wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:The home form is JD's big problem. That's where the majority of fans watch the team and what the majority of fans form their opinion from. I won't include the Checkatrade or whatever it's called, so at home since October we've played 4, won 2, lost 2. The two we've won were against nine men and a non-league team, so there can be question marks there.

Not disputing any of that, but you are answering a question that wasn’t asked. I never mentioned JD.

He's the manager of the team getting the results.

But playing it your way, I would've expected 9 points from the games from the start of October until now. We've got 10. So I'm perfectly happy with that.

I would've expected 19 points from the home games played prior to October, we got 10. There's your problem. 5 from 16 expected points at home.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:54 pm

NorthLondonStag wrote:A while ago, when we played well and had twenty chances in a game but didn't win, several people told me that was irrelevant as 'it's a results-based game' and you had to win/draw games, not just play well.

Since the start of October, in all competitions and by may calculations we've:

Won 6
Drawn 2
Lost 2

Goals for: 15
Goals against: 7

Performances aside would people agree that, overall, the recent results are actually quite good?

I think you've credited us with an extra win.

League games.

W 3, D1, L2

Not bad. Play off form(ish). Unfortunately August & September form has dictated that to make the play offs we need to be even better.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby NorthLondonStag » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:57 pm

You are right. I miscounted. Sorry. Still not bad though.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby NorthLondonStag » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:04 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
NorthLondonStag wrote:

He's the manager of the team getting the results.

But playing it your way, I would've expected 9 points from the games from the start of October until now. We've got 10. So I'm perfectly happy with that.

I would've expected 19 points from the home games played prior to October, we got 10. There's your problem. 5 from 16 expected points at home.

I don’t actually have a particularly strong view about JD, I just thought it would be interesting to have an objective debate about current form.

on JD for me it’s more finely balanced but I would probably give him another month. He’s learning and he’s got some tough tests coming up. If he can get some decent results in the next 6 weeks then maybe give him a chance. If he can’t then maybe he has to go. On current results he’s got a chance to build on that but I would agree he needs to be pushing closer towards the play offs come Christmas.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby StagsFan83 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:18 pm

Our last ten league games have seen us gain 11 points, which is 50.6 points over the course of a season.
That’s around 20th we will finish.
The odd win keeps buying him another game, we need to look at the bigger picture.
StagsFan83
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby BH_Stag » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:26 pm

StagsFan83 wrote:Our last ten league games have seen us gain 11 points, which is 50.6 points over the course of a season.
That’s around 20th we will finish.
The odd win keeps buying him another game, we need to look at the bigger picture.

Exactly. League form since the start of October where we’ve supposedly seen this ‘upturn’ is W3 D1 L2 and the gap to the playoffs is still 7 points having played a game more. That’s an average return and we haven’t yet beat anybody of note.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum