{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Is Stev Hyman the Unofficial Director of Football?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Is Stev Hyman the Unofficial Director of Football?

Postby garlic » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:12 pm

WVStag wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:It would be foolish to play youngsters in the toxicity, that persists at Field Mill at the moment.

Youngsters will flourish better when the team is playing well.

If members of the board want the youth system to work and make some of the youn talent first team regulars they need to get things right on the field first. Otherwise they are doomed to fail.

It's a case of not putting the cart before the horse.

Fortunately, you don't have to worry about any of the youngsters playing 'in the toxicity that persists at Field Mill at the moment' because none of them are good enough.

Saying that, Dempster is the manager, so I could be wrong. He'd probably field a full youth team before he recognises how bad a midfield pairing Bishop and Tomlinson is.

You really have no basis at all for saying that they arent good enough.
garlic
First Team
First Team

Postby Chrisuknottm » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:17 pm

garlic wrote:I for one was really hoping that when JD was appointed he really had been given the backing to select the young`uns and bring through a core who could lead us, sustainably, to higher leagues. He hasnt done this. As gazza detailed above, Gibbens, Graham , Law , Smith, Knowles and Sinclair havent been given a decent chance. If they had, and our league position playing the young`uns was identical to what it is now, i do not think the atmosphere would be anywhere near as toxic as it is now. So as far as i am concerned all this talk about the youngsters not being good enough, or not being able to play in the current atmosphere is hypothetical speculation because nobody knows util they have had at least 5 starts. So i am hoping for a clear out of the current experienced lo of under-performers to give these youngsters a real chance of showing us what they can/cannot do.

Sorry I just don't get this love affair with playing youngsters just because they are on our books? They have to be good enough or at least better than the experienced pros and as a previous post said by comparison to what we have they simply aren't. For all his faults don't you think JD would have played them if they were?

Look what happened to Bolton and in a more extreme situation to Macclesfield on Saturday. Keith Hill and DF didnt maintain that policy that had been forced on the club...they went out and got as many experienced seasoned professionals as possible.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Random Hero » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:19 pm

Stagsnet at its finest this. Jesus Christ :shock:
An der Elbe, werden Träume wahr
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Postby wink68 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:34 pm

WVStag wrote:
sunray wrote:On several topics there are references to Stev from being the person responsible for DF going and JD getting the job, the style of football we are playing etc.

What is the truth?

Personnally I would fully support him in mentoring a new manager like JD similiar to a Director of Football. But if that's the case JD is not listening.

That might be in the top 3 of most ludicrous things ever said. Hymas has no football qualifications. He is a businessman and a businessman only.

Got a fair right hook I seem to remember. Can't argue with the intentions of bringing youth through. Comparing it to 20 years ago isn't great. Steve Parkin released most of the squad didn't sign anyone then left, leaving Billy Dearden 2 weeks till the first game with no players and no choice but to blood the youth. We now have an owner who puts in enough money to have 20 +senior pros that in theory should be good enough to be the top end of this division. In theory
wink68
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:36 pm

There are some right dicks on this board lately ,smart arses and vitriolic posters ,giving it a rest for this season ,a bit like the team
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Beano » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:39 pm

spanishstag wrote:There are some right dicks on this board lately ,smart arses and vitriolic posters ,giving it a rest for this season ,a bit like the team

I agree ,some of them don’t even know ,how to use punktuashun .

;)
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby WVStag » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:53 pm

Chrisuknottm wrote:
garlic wrote:I for one was really hoping that when JD was appointed he really had been given the backing to select the young`uns and bring through a core who could lead us, sustainably, to higher leagues. He hasnt done this. As gazza detailed above, Gibbens, Graham , Law , Smith, Knowles and Sinclair havent been given a decent chance. If they had, and our league position playing the young`uns was identical to what it is now, i do not think the atmosphere would be anywhere near as toxic as it is now. So as far as i am concerned all this talk about the youngsters not being good enough, or not being able to play in the current atmosphere is hypothetical speculation because nobody knows util they have had at least 5 starts. So i am hoping for a clear out of the current experienced lo of under-performers to give these youngsters a real chance of showing us what they can/cannot do.

Sorry I just don't get this love affair with playing youngsters just because they are on our books? They have to be good enough or at least better than the experienced pros and as a previous post said by comparison to what we have they simply aren't. For all his faults don't you think JD would have played them if they were?

Look what happened to Bolton and in a more extreme situation to Macclesfield on Saturday. Keith Hill and DF didnt maintain that policy that had been forced on the club...they went out and got as many experienced seasoned professionals as possible.

Totally agree with that in bold. Just because they're in our youth team, doesn't mean they're any good or have a right to play. The obsession with playing youth just because they're our kids and they 'should be given a chance' is cringeworthy and simply doesn't work from a football perspective.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby The One » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:03 pm

Could one of our stat people tell me the percentage of kids that make it, not just here but at clubs nationwide. ? I will guess 2 percent.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:07 pm

The One wrote:Could one of our stat people tell me the percentage of kids that make it, not just here but at clubs nationwide. ? I will guess 2 percent.

Of all players who join an academy at the age of 9, less than 0.5% make any kind of living from the game.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:31 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
The One wrote:Could one of our stat people tell me the percentage of kids that make it, not just here but at clubs nationwide. ? I will guess 2 percent.

Of all players who join an academy at the age of 9, less than 0.5% make any kind of living from the game.

Thanks for that. So in terms of outlay, risky business.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:41 pm

Random Hero wrote:Stagsnet at its finest this. Jesus Christ :shock:

Yeah how dare people ask questions about the clubs directors... one of whom we know was influential in the managers appointment and likes to try and influence footballing matters when he really shouldnt be.

Dry your eyes fella. Steves a big boy
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby WVStag » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:36 pm

garlic wrote:
WVStag wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:It would be foolish to play youngsters in the toxicity, that persists at Field Mill at the moment.

If members of the board want the youth system to work and make some of the youn talent first team regulars they need to get things right on the field first. Otherwise they are doomed to fail.

Fortunately, you don't have to worry about any of the youngsters playing 'in the toxicity that persists at Field Mill at the moment' because none of them are good enough.

Saying that, Dempster is the manager, so I could be wrong. He'd probably field a full youth team before he recognises how bad a midfield pairing Bishop and Tomlinson is.

And on what basis can you tell me that they are chief?
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby garlic » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:31 pm

WVStag wrote:
garlic wrote:
WVStag wrote:

And on what basis can you tell me that they are chief?

That`s the point, you are expressing an opinion in the form and grammar of a fact. Neither you, nor I , nor anyone else knows that they are good enough until, and this is my opinion, they have been given an adequate assessment time which, as previously stated, is , in my opinion, 5 starts.
garlic
First Team
First Team

Postby yorkstag » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:44 pm

WVStag wrote:
sunray wrote:On several topics there are references to Stev from being the person responsible for DF going and JD getting the job, the style of football we are playing etc.

What is the truth?

Personnally I would fully support him in mentoring a new manager like JD similiar to a Director of Football. But if that's the case JD is not listening.

That might be in the top 3 of most ludicrous things ever said. Hymas has no football qualifications. He is a businessman and a businessman only.

Agreed . Lot of time for Steve but as a supporter and businessman .
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:07 pm

Just curious, but after two pages has anyone actually asked Steve if he is?
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby WVStag » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:37 pm

I am Spartacus wrote:Just curious, but after two pages has anyone actually asked Steve if he is?

I too would like to know if Stev Hyman has been quizzed on his alleged role as unofficial director of football.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby oldweststander » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:46 pm

Of course, he will come on here and admit it.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:11 pm

gazza1988 wrote:There was a rumour going round that Hymas and Radford fell out over Paul Cox

Not true.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:17 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:There was a rumour going round that Hymas and Radford fell out over Paul Cox

Not true.

Hence me saying rumour. Or are you saying its not true that its a rumour and its actually a fact? ;) :lol:
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby steve-hymas » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:29 am

I don’t post on here much for obvious reasons but this post has made me chuckle .
Firstly the poster will know how to spell my name so it’s obviously someone that’s trying to insult me .
Secondly I left the club over monies owed to me by the club.Me and the chairman have remained friends throughout and I turned that money into shares in the club.End of that one .
I was asked by JR to expand the youth set up and over the last few years we have become one of the best set ups in the country since joining the EPPP system .We employ numerous coaches and have hundreds of kids play for us every week .To put things into prospective we have four under 18s sides alone .
Myself and JR decided to start a project for a new training facility which we have now completed called the Radford & Hymas Academy as it’s been built with our own funds through our company Mansfield Town Developments at a cost of £2.5 million .This is now enjoyed by hundreds of our young players all wearing MTFC colours.
As regards director of football .Not a chance .I have my opinions on managers and players alike but the team is picked by the manager .When we appoint a manager he is picked by the board.
As regards bringing youth through the first team ranks that would be fantastic but no manager has ever been forced to do so .At the moment it would be very difficult to do so given the toxic atmosphere around the place and they would be lambs to the slaughter so to speak .
At the moment John Dempster has my upmost respect as he was the academy manager that helped set up the whole system .But given that we always make decisions based on the best interests of the club so we will see how that goes.
So in a nutshell :
No .i am not director of football
No. I don’t pick the manager.
No .I don’t pick the team
No.we don’t force youth players on the manager.
Yes .I am a director
Yes .we own the training facility
Yes .I help develop the youth system
Yes .I would like to see more youth players developed
Yes .Our youth system has a 5 year development plan
I will not be answering any questions on this post as my forthright nature sometimes gets the better of me :coys:
steve-hymas
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby oldweststander » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:43 am

That has cleared the air, now lets move on.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Kernow » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:50 am

Nice one Steve.
Kernow
Manager
Manager

Postby MOTG » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:56 am

steve-hymas wrote:I don’t post on here much for obvious reasons but this post has made me chuckle .
Firstly the poster will know how to spell my name so it’s obviously someone that’s trying to insult me .
Secondly I left the club over monies owed to me by the club.Me and the chairman have remained friends throughout and I turned that money into shares in the club.End of that one .
I was asked by JR to expand the youth set up and over the last few years we have become one of the best set ups in the country since joining the EPPP system .We employ numerous coaches and have hundreds of kids play for us every week .To put things into prospective we have four under 18s sides alone .
Myself and JR decided to start a project for a new training facility which we have now completed called the Radford & Hymas Academy as it’s been built with our own funds through our company Mansfield Town Developments at a cost of £2.5 million .This is now enjoyed by hundreds of our young players all wearing MTFC colours.
As regards director of football .Not a chance .I have my opinions on managers and players alike but the team is picked by the manager .When we appoint a manager he is picked by the board.
As regards bringing youth through the first team ranks that would be fantastic but no manager has ever been forced to do so .At the moment it would be very difficult to do so given the toxic atmosphere around the place and they would be lambs to the slaughter so to speak .
At the moment John Dempster has my upmost respect as he was the academy manager that helped set up the whole system .But given that we always make decisions based on the best interests of the club so we will see how that goes.
So in a nutshell :
Yes .I am a director
I will not be answering any questions on this post as my forthright nature sometimes gets the better of me :coys:

Well said Steve. Keep up the good work my owd.
MOTG
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:24 am

MOTG wrote:
steve-hymas wrote:I don’t post on here much for obvious reasons but this post has made me chuckle .
So in a nutshell :
Yes .I am a director

Well said Steve. Keep up the good work my owd.

Thanks for taking the time to respond, Steve.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:43 pm

Well done steve ,some on here are hell bent on having a scapegoat because its not all going brilliantly Most fans i would hope appreciate that sometimes it just doesn,t fall into place automatically ,in fact it might not work out in the end ,but the club should not be criticised for effort :coys:
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum