{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Are we doing enough to generate income?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Are we doing enough to generate income?

Postby arsene wengers coat » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:52 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50075572

Some interesting stats and thoughts in this article about the profitability of clubs and successful running of a football club. Even some from Alan Hardy, his views are considered 'too simplistic'.

I would agree that football clubs need to set up separate businesses under the football clubs umbrella group as a way to secure additional funding.

Real estate, conference facilities, community uses, e-sports, platforms for sponsorship... Anything really!

As a club, I believe that we should be looking way beyond the 'saturday afternoon' culture and start looking at how we can create new viable business to feed into MTFC.

The big questions are what, and how?
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Re: Are we doing enough to generate income?

Postby MTFCMAD » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:54 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50075572

Some interesting stats and thoughts in this article about the profitability of clubs and successful running of a football club. Even some from Alan Hardy, his views are considered 'too simplistic'.

I would agree that football clubs need to set up separate businesses under the football clubs umbrella group as a way to secure additional funding.

Real estate, conference facilities, community uses, e-sports, platforms for sponsorship... Anything really!

As a club, I believe that we should be looking way beyond the 'saturday afternoon' culture and start looking at how we can create new viable business to feed into MTFC.

The big questions are what, and how?

Im pretty sure the club is a 24/7 business already with Sandys Bar and the 1897 lounge as well as the 3g pitches. Dont forget the hotel which should bring in substantial rent. This is not an area the club has any need to worry about IMO as i feel we are ahead of the majority of clubs in the bottom two divisions.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:09 pm

Whereas I don’t know the full details surely the club has got to be making as much money as it has ever done off the field.

The facilities are better than ever, what they’ve done outside the ground on match days is brilliant.

I just wonder if they’re going to persevere with an outside bar (with more cover) when the weather starts to turn, our next game will have seen the clocks turn so they’ve hopefully thought of something to counteract that and make it as appealing as possible
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby tibby » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:13 pm

Take in a game of ice hockey at Sheffield to see how money making is really done.
tibby
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby StagsFan83 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:01 pm

I think the fact that anything that moves is sponsored means we probably are!!
StagsFan83
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Stags 2002 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:27 pm

Are we doing enough to generate income? Hard to say given the recent accounts frustratingly don't include a P&L so we can't see if y.o.y revenue is growing.

Generating income is only half the battle it also needs to be profitable income. We could generate £1bn sales revenue but if costs are £1.1bn we still make a net loss. We made a loss within the recent accounts therefore we aren't generating enough income with sufficient profit margin.

We're moving in the right direction, card machines on kiosks etc but more can always be done.
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:45 pm

MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:48 pm

How about bungee jumping from the floodlight pylons, or a raffle for a wrestle at half time in a paddling pool ful of lime green jelly with Holly Willoughby?
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby bex » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:54 pm

Spiritater wrote:How about bungee jumping from the floodlight pylons, or a raffle for a wrestle at half time in a paddling pool ful of lime green jelly with Holly Willoughby?

....Put me down for 10 tickets please :lol:
"Who's the most intelligent"
Otis-"Me,without a shadow of doubt,next question"
bex
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Spiritater » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:03 pm

bex wrote:
Spiritater wrote:How about bungee jumping from the floodlight pylons, or a raffle for a wrestle at half time in a paddling pool ful of lime green jelly with Holly Willoughby?

....Put me down for 10 tickets please :lol:

Or there'd be the raffle for after match 'Custard pie Conrad' event. Could see that making loads n all.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:43 pm

Generating steady income from additional revenue sources is vital for a club to grow, especially reliable and regular ones. It feels like we do a lot of this already but we can always do more. You just have to look at the number of businesses John is said to have, if there’s a growth area it looks like he chases it
Jimstag
Manager
Manager

Postby stag324 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:31 pm

As our very own Mrs Radford has just won the best CEO in league two, I would say yes.

However, there is always more to be done :-)
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby geoffhill » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:28 pm

I was so pleased to see that she was nominated for league two.She has the club at heart and is doing a great job.Long may it continue.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum