{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

FGR scorefred sponsored by 3 on the bounce?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: FGR scorefred sponsored by 3 on the bounce?

Postby Foresttownstag » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:45 pm

Cracking little pub down the hill but apart from that it’s crap.
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:06 pm

Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:16 pm

Chander Lear wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:Where are the away fans housed these days ?

Same crap side stand.

For a beer, you stand in a cold flooded tent

thanks but not thanks

Last time I went we had the far end. I know that’s moved now but is the away end covered. I don’t fancy standing getting piss wet though when I’ve got a couple of hundred miles to ride
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:41 pm

Covered, no most definitely not
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:57 pm

What's the name of the pub?

Last season I ended up going into a pub at the bottom of the hill just to dry out as I was absolutely soaked.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:05 pm

Billy the fish wrote:5.0

to the stags? I like it :lol: :D
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:37 pm

Great memories on Facebook/You Tube of the Stags beating Forest Green Rovers at The New Lawn in March 2013 on their way to winning the National League under Paul Cox.

It got me thinking......Where are they know? Only 2 of the Mansfield players are still in the EFL but 2 are now EFL managers. 5 of the FGR players are in the EFL. Dave Hockaday also went on to manage Leeds United for a short spell. Perhaps a few people on here can fill in a few gaps.

Mansfield Town
Alan Marriott (Retired)
Lee Beevers (Retired)
John Dempster (Mansfield Manager)
Luke Jones (Retired)
James Jennings (Wrexham)
Adam Murray (Barnsley Manager)
Adam Chapman (Sheffield FC?)
Lindon Meikle (Kettering Town)
Lee Stevenson ?
Matt Green Green (Grimsby Town)
Junior Daniel (Burton Albion)

Subs:
Matt Rhead (Just left Billericay Town)
Louis Briscoe ?
Anthony Howell ?

Forest Green Rovers
Sam Russell (Grimsby Town)
Jared Hodgkiss (Hereford)
Aarran Racine (Assistant Manager at Worthing)
Eddie Oshodi (Retired)
Chris Stokes (Stevenage)
Yemi Odubade (Weymouth Town)
Al Bangura ?
Kieron Forbes ?
Paul Green (Was at Tamworth)
James Norwood (Ipswich Town)
Wes Burns (Fleetwood Town)

Subs:
Matty Taylor (Bristol Rovers)
Lee Fowler (Was Assistant Manager at Bradford Park Avenue)
Yan Klukowski (Was at Chippenham Town)
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Foresttownstag » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:55 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:What's the name of the pub?

Last season I ended up going into a pub at the bottom of the hill just to dry out as I was absolutely soaked.

Think it was called The Britannia
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:37 am

Looks like Rose is definitely out for tomorrow then. Picture on Facebook of him in a leg brace, apparently did it in training yesterday so a different injury to the one from Saturday.

Cook and Maynard partnership hopefully in Rose’ absence. Need them to hit the ground running as a pairing.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:47 am

The fact he's walking around on it is positive, hopefully not too serious. I'm not sure Cook is fit to start.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:51 am

Maybe time to give Knowles a start with Maynard and that would encourage a more passing style without a big target man.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MOTG » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:52 am

I think it will be a tough game and I would be more than satisfied for Stags to come away with a point . However that’s not to say that we are more than capable of coming away with all three points .
A safe journey and enjoyable day to all Players, staff and our away supporters ! COYS !!
MOTG
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby BH_Stag » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:54 am

MTFCMusings wrote:The fact he's walking around on it is positive, hopefully not too serious. I'm not sure Cook is fit to start.

Don’t see why he wouldn’t be. Got a start in the Crewe game, made a few sub appearances, been back in training for a good few weeks, he should be ready. I’m sure you’re well aware that he’s always been this frame and started plenty of games scoring goals for years now... if we play to his strengths and get balls in to his body he’ll be fine. If we ask him to run channels he won’t be effective. Granted he’s not gonna be chasing round like Rose but not many do.

We paid a good fee for him in the summer, and alongside Maynard he was a big signing for us, it’s time for them to get playing as a pair and hopefully be the strike force we thought we had signed. He needs a goal to kickstart his season.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:58 am

BH_Stag wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:The fact he's walking around on it is positive, hopefully not too serious. I'm not sure Cook is fit to start.

Don’t see why he wouldn’t be. Got a start in the Crewe game, made a few sub appearances, been back in training for a good few weeks, he should be ready. I’m sure you’re well aware that he’s always been this frame and started plenty of games scoring goals for years now... if we play to his strengths and get balls in to his body he’ll be fine. If we ask him to run channels he won’t be effective. Granted he’s not gonna be chasing round like Rose but not many do.

We paid a good fee for him in the summer, and alongside Maynard he was a big signing for us, it’s time for them to get playing as a pair and hopefully be the strike force we thought we had signed. He needs a goal to kickstart his season.

I'm aware of those games you mentioned, and saw his performances in those games. He's not sharp, he looks like he's low on confidence, can't control the ball. The only thing he did well was win a few headers. He should've played in the reserve game in the week.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:04 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:

I'm aware of those games you mentioned, and saw his performances in those games. He's not sharp, he looks like he's low on confidence, can't control the ball. The only thing he did well was win a few headers. He should've played in the reserve game in the week.

Agreed he looks low on confidence, and I don’t think he’s ever going to look pleasing on the eye in terms of how sharp he is, but maybe putting a bit of faith in him to start now Rose is injured might be the catalyst for him? We’ve forked our on him, now he just needs that break.

Maynard has cut a frustrated figure in some games as we haven’t played to his strengths whatsoever until last week and bingo he scored 3. Maybe the penny has dropped we need to play to our forwards strengths, and Cook might benefit from that next hopefully. Admittedly he’s not had a very inspiring start, but think we need to persevere a bit, a goal would do him wonders.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:07 am

Only minutes on the pitch will help with his confidence. Not 10 minutes here and there.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:47 pm

Wouldn't surprise me if he played one up front and packed the midfield.
If we are 1-0 down at half time swap it to two upfront.
As long as Donahue is in midfield we should be ok.
1-1

:coys:
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:08 pm

chip63 wrote:Wouldn't surprise me if he played one up front and packed the midfield.
1-1

And undo all the great work and lift we got from last Saturday. Playing Maynard up front alone will drag him right down again to the despondency he clearly felt before the Oldham game. Let's play like we did last week and take the game to them ....not fall back on what we did before in the other 15 or 16 games and ruin the feeling generated by that great performance and win.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:10 pm

chip63 wrote:Wouldn't surprise me if he played one up front and packed the midfield.
1-1

Donahue?
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:46 pm

Oops. Shaughnesy. Can't even blame predict text.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:41 pm

I'm not sure Nicky Maynard is going to enjoy having long balls pumped up to Andy Cook. He would probably prefer playing up front with CJ Hamilton, Jimmy Knowles or Dappy Afolayan.

Forest Green will have a lot of possession and we are not going to be able to press their defence if Andy Cook is up front. We would probably have to sit back and let them have the ball. However if we are a goal down in the 2nd half you would expect Andy Cook to come on as a Plan B. Then again, Lincoln always seemed to do reasonably well against FGR, with a direct style of play.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:28 pm

Shaughnesy pass from midfield to split the defence, Maynard on the end of it..goal.
He could turn any defender and get a shot on goal.
CJ at right back/winger with pace on the break.
How does a manager sleep the night before a game? We have so many options with our squad it's confusing.
I know we played so well last week but I'd go for a draw and play same attack minded game against Salford on Tuesday.

chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby Slackythestag » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:51 am

A draw would be fantastic after our last two wins. I'm going to say 1-1 with Cook getting a well deserved goal.

I might make a last minute dash down tomorrow, will play it by ear! Last season we was allowed in their supporters bar on the ground, nice and cosy in there with football on the telly.
Slackythestag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Hon Sec » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:09 am

bellwhiff wrote:
Chander Lear wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:Where are the away fans housed these days ?

Same crap side stand.

For a beer, you stand in a cold flooded tent

thanks but not thanks

Last time I went we had the far end. I know that’s moved now but is the away end covered. I don’t fancy standing getting piss wet though when I’ve got a couple of hundred miles to ride

They have a little stand nearly half the length of the pitch. Two rows of seats and in front two rows of standing. The stand has about a 12 foot cover over it. When we got there last year the seat were wet through and we got wet sat in them, thankfully the game was abandoned at half time. It’s all crap for away supporters, and I wouldn’t want to go again.
Hon Sec
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Big yella » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:49 am

There'll be one less Stags flag there today, I've just seen it in Oita at the Engine v AU's rugby quarter final. COYS
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum