{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Turned that corner?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Turned that corner?

Postby mousemousemouse » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:58 pm

Have we finally turned that corner? Whilst Oldham aren’t world beaters, it felt like we finally turned in a performance worthy of the money and players we have.

I was a little gutted that, after watching use play some great football and dominate for the first half an hour, they had two players sent off. I felt we would’ve dominated and scored a few in the second half as well

It’ll take a while for Demps to win over the crowd but put in exciting displays like that against Forest green & Salford and we could see some really nice progress.
mousemousemouse
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Turned that corner?

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:11 pm

Much better yesterday, even before they went down to nine men.

Very sloppy defending for their goal( not just Logan's fault ).

Too early to say we have turned the corner.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby stag324 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:17 pm

Great we have two wins on the bounce but 9 from the next 12 points and I will say we have turned the corner.

If not, I'd still get rid of JD
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Conker » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:31 pm

We will find out within a few weeks, too early yet.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:32 pm

If JD let's the team play like yesterday he will have my full support. It's the fact that whilst not winning we have been boring, error strewn, defensive etc etc... that was great yesterday however many were on the pitch
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby mousemousemouse » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:47 pm

Amber Andy wrote:Much better yesterday, even before they went down to nine men.

Very sloppy defending for their goal( not just Logan's fault ).

Too early to say we have turned the corner.

I’m in the same camp as this. Logan did what he needed to do and Benning was slow to react. But, they also walked past three players.
mousemousemouse
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:33 pm

JD was telling them to play out from the back.

He was giving instructions from the touchline.

At 5-1 he was still On at the players to keep concentrating etc

Variation of 442 was interesting with the two wingers khan and macca coming inside to let the full backs get forward.

Proved we can do it. Massive performance needed at fgr now, they are the best footballing side in the league. Would take a draw and win against Salford.

COYS
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:37 pm

Their goal was sloppy. At 2 up against 9 you could see their lad think 'sod it' I'll try and take a few on. We were to scared to make a tackle and took our foot of the gas a little. Logan did what he could. The lad was unmarked in the middle. Very poor around.

Hopefully we have turned a corner. It's hard to judge 60 mins of that game but against 9 we did well, as you'd expect most teams too. But the first half an hour was a vast improvement. Lots of quicker passing wide inside and back wide. A hungry team winning the ball and defending from the front. A 442 (all be it narrow with Mac and Khan). If we keep that up we'll have certainly turned a corner and will quickly move up the league the next month or so.

Next few games will tell us more. I hope we have. I dont really believe in Demps yet but want to and want him to get this right. 2 on the bounce now. Lets make it 3 and see where it takes us.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:03 pm

Interesting to see how we go against Forest Green. They are, based on underlying numbers, one of, if not the worst team in the league, despite being top before yesterday.
Last edited by MTFCMusings on Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:15 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Interesting to see how we go against Forest Green. They are based on underlying numbers, one of if not the worst team in the league, despite being top before yesterday.

Eh????
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:31 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:Interesting to see how we go against Forest Green. They are based on underlying numbers, one of if not the worst team in the league, despite being top before yesterday.

Eh????

Beats me!
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:34 pm

Why did it take this long to stop hoofing it to Rose and actually pressing the opposition though?

I’m not getting carried away at all, still very wary, but to be fair the last two results mean the squad will be full of confidence for the first time for months.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:39 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
Woodclanger 1 wrote:

Eh????

Beats me!

MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:55 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
EdwinstoweStag wrote:
Woodclanger 1 wrote:

Eh????

Beats me!

So they defend well and take their few chances, that lot means naff all except I may be top in very deep completions ;) :lol:
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:04 pm

Do you not find it hard to comprehend how the team that has taken the least shots in the entire league was too of the league?! That is crazy stuff.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:18 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
EdwinstoweStag wrote:
Woodclanger 1 wrote:

Eh????

Beats me!

Makes sense.. watched them beat Salford and I think they had 5 shots and scored 4 and had most of the possession. They passed it about left to right a lot, didn't get forward much but when they did it was a goal. When Salford pressed and made them play backwards towards the goal they looked very average and just hoofed it clear. what ever they're doing its working and it looks like to beat them, we need to take all our chances, probably beat them 5-4 :lol:
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:23 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Do you not find it hard to comprehend how the team that has taken the least shots in the entire league was too of the league?! That is crazy stuff.

I understand condescending people too ;) take their few chances and keep possession so the opposition can't score without the ball, is that hard to comprehend?
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:43 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:Do you not find it hard to comprehend how the team that has taken the least shots in the entire league was too of the league?! That is crazy stuff.

I understand condescending people too ;) take their few chances and keep possession so the opposition can't score without the ball, is that hard to comprehend?

I wasn't being condescending, I genuinely can't understand why you cannot see how unbelievable it is that they were top? You say take their few chances, but with the least shots in the league, even if they outperformed that massively you would not them to outperform it by the whole league table. It's just one of those cases whereby unless they improve, the poor performances they've been producing will eventually show and be reflected in their points tally.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:50 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Woodclanger 1 wrote:

I wasn't being condescending, I genuinely can't understand why you cannot see how unbelievable it is that they were top? You say take their few chances, but with the least shots in the league, even if they outperformed that massively you would not them to outperform it by the whole league table. It's just one of those cases whereby unless they improve, the poor performances they've been producing will eventually show and be reflected in their points tally.

But it's not unbelievable, the table doesn't lie that's all that matters surely, not statistics????
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:57 pm

The table does lies until the end of the season.

At this stages it’s about recognising whether the performance data suggests whatever start to the season a team has had is likely to carry on throughout the whole season.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:00 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:The table does lies until the end of the season.

At this stages it’s about recognising whether the performance data suggests whatever start to the season a team has had is likely to carry on throughout the whole season.

Ok you stick to that thought, I bet FGR will once again be at least in the play offs
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:06 pm

You don't win football matches by being top of some silly stats league. Stats don't grade their findings by quality, merely that an event occurred so a pea roller of a shot straight at the keeper scores just as highly as one that brings out a brilliant save. It's the same with possession, passes completed etc.

In the real game it means diddly squat and the only thing that matters is how many goals you score and conceed.

Forest Green are up there on merit as they've picked the points up and it matters not that the other teams have better stats. They say wise folk look at the stats before placing their bets but I think they are probably a con by the bookies. They certainly haven't paid much out to the people backing the team's Forest Green have played so far.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:09 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:You don't win football matches by being top of some silly stats league. Stats don't grade their findings by quality, merely that an event occurred so a pea roller of a shot straight at the keeper scores just as highly as one that brings out a brilliant save. It's the same with possession, passes completed etc.

In the real game it means diddly squat and the only thing that matters is how many goals you score and conceed.

Forest Green are up there on merit as they've picked the points up and it matters not that the other teams have better stats. They say wise folk look at the stats before placing their bets but I think they are probably a con by the bookies. They certainly haven't paid much out to the people backing the team's Forest Green have played so far.

Actually, that is exactly what xG does :lol:

Despite it being 1st v 2nd yesterday, Exeter were odds on and Forest Green were 4/1. Anyone would think the bookies know what they're talking about and take notice of the stats :roll:
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:19 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:You don't win football matches by being top of some silly stats league. Stats don't grade their findings by quality, merely that an event occurred so a pea roller of a shot straight at the keeper scores just as highly as one that brings out a brilliant save. It's the same with possession, passes completed etc.

Actually, that is exactly what xG does :lol:

Despite it being 1st v 2nd yesterday, Exeter were odds on and Forest Green were 4/1. Anyone would think the bookies know what they're talking about and take notice of the stats :roll:

Oh so it absolutely nothing to do with the fact that Exeter were at home then. The odds were entirely based on the stats and expected goals from previous games by each respective team. If Forest Greens stats were that bad, how come they gave such poor odds? Surely they should have offered something like 7-1 if they were so certain to lose, so more punters would bet and make profits larger.

Sorry but you will never convince me with stats as the system is not complex or sophisticated enough as demonstrated by Forest Green's record so far.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:23 pm

For a first v second clash, it is not normal for one team to be 4/1. And yes, bookmakers definitely use stats.

There are very few cases where there are massive anomalys come the end of the season. Perhaps FGR's performances will improve in any case, who knows. From the highlights of yesterday they created at least one very good chance.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum