{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Adam Murray

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Adam Murray

Postby Bros » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:51 pm

You can add Colin Calderwood to the list
Nunc est bibendum
Bros
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:31 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
The One wrote:
James wrote:
my name is jonas wrote:Would we really be worse off if we kept Murray and didn’t bother with Evans/DF. I personally don’t think we would, Murray made some very shrewd signings, given longer and any of the recent budgets I think he would have done just as good if not better than the last two managers.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Made me laugh too, only a win over Tranmere kept us up ?

That was the year before when he took over from Cox. He then had his budget cut before Fatty Arbuckle took over, spent a fortune and made little progress.

Don't forget that he spent a fortune and then when his signings were pants had to revert to Murray's signings.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but the only player Evans signed who was a great signing was Bobby Olejnik (I'm talking about "in hindsight") The first names on many fan's starting XI are either Murray, Flitcroft or Demps signings. The guy cost us a fortune and all he every achieved was 12th and lots of expensive dead wood we couldn't shift.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:50 pm

The One wrote:
James wrote:
my name is jonas wrote:Would we really be worse off if we kept Murray and didn’t bother with Evans/DF. I personally don’t think we would, Murray made some very shrewd signings, given longer and any of the recent budgets I think he would have done just as good if not better than the last two managers.

That was the year before when he took over from Cox. He then had his budget cut before Fatty Arbuckle took over, spent a fortune and made little progress.

I thought the budget got cut under Coxy then murray took over things got a bit better but not by much. Muzzas budget never got reduced as far as i know and then it skyrocketed when murray was sacked and Evans came in.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:57 pm

Worst thing we did was let Green go. (I know he was out of contract and left for free) it killed any momentum we had after promotion.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:01 pm

gazza1988 wrote:Worst thing we did was let Green go. (I know he was out of contract and left for free) it killed any momentum we had after promotion.

I'd have had green all these years, even if he wasn't a regular starter he would've been a good backup/sub!

I think he treated green very poorly
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:06 pm

You can't underestimate how good Jones was, and what a loss he was to our momentum.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:16 pm

Bros wrote:You can add Colin Calderwood to the list

Yes you're right, he was the 9th actually because I didn't include Dempster in my original list.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:50 pm

gazza1988 wrote:Worst thing we did was let Green go. (I know he was out of contract and left for free) it killed any momentum we had after promotion.

We did try our best to keep him but when Birmingham came in and offered £4000 more per week than us he was always going to leave.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby SINA STAG » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:02 pm

MTFCMAD wrote:

We did try our best to keep him but when Birmingham came in and offered £4000 more per week than us he was always going to leave.

Yeah n spent 2 seasons out injured dodged a bullet there with another player being paid to sit on the treatment table.....
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:03 pm

MTFCMAD wrote:

it was always gonna be a struggle to keep him when he scored so many goals for us int conf
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:00 pm

Bobby Hassell fav for job. Muz 2nd fav
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby wardy12345 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:19 pm

It would have been nice to see what he could have done with a good budget. Most of our best players are his signings
wardy12345
First Team
First Team

Postby Vice President » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:13 pm

Adam Murray nearly got us relegated. (Thank goodness that Tranmere & Cheltenham didn't win any of their last 10 games).

I know that subsequent managers have had better budgets, but AM's over-cautiousness was not the hallmark of a successful/promotion chasing manager. (Unfortunately I see parallels in JD).
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby Norman » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:07 pm

Can I have 2 pints of what you had. Gawd knows he’s ended up as manager at Barnsley after his poor showing here , Boston and Garforth!
Norman
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:28 pm

Norman wrote:

Can I have 2 pints of what you had. Gawd knows he’s ended up as manager at Barnsley after his poor showing here , Boston and Garforth!

I believe he was their youth team manager
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Gruff » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:26 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Norman wrote:

I believe he was their youth team manager

Who in their right mind would promote a Youth Team manager to the role of Full Team Manager??..... oh.. hang on a minute... :getmecoat: :getmecoat:
Gruff
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Stoney » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:23 am

Bournemouth appointed their youth team coach Eddie Howe in League two....
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:49 am

Stoney wrote:Bournemouth appointed their youth team coach Eddie Howe in League two....

They did and he got them through the league's with attack attack attack ;)
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:57 am

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
Stoney wrote:Bournemouth appointed their youth team coach Eddie Howe in League two....

But he had been player coach and reserve team manager previously before rejoining them as youth coach so he did have some experience
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Sneag » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:35 pm

Chrisuknottm wrote:
Woodclanger 1 wrote:

But he had been player coach and reserve team manager previously before rejoining them as youth coach so he did have some experience

He can't had that much experience he was only 14 when he took the first team over.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:51 am

Went 2 nil up last night ....

Sat back, 11 behind ball and drew 2-2...

Sound familiar ?
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:14 am

Captain Cunno wrote:Went 2 nil up last night ....

Sat back, 11 behind ball and drew 2-2...

Sound familiar ?

Bottom of the league vs top... WBA were always going to get back into it. They were lucky to be 2 up and actually went in search of a third which was brave. Few Barnsley fans liking his team selection and how they've played so far in the two games.

Woodrow also went over to Murray after his second, the players seem to like him.

Reports stating they ran out of steam and got caught on the break a few times... seems its fitness not Murrays fault.

If he gets the job and keeps them up it will be a fantastic achievement for him.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:16 pm

Fair enough Sedewick. This wasnt a dig at Murray , apologies if it came across this way I was just pointing out what seems to be a regular occurrence of Murrays teams....

If he was less defensive minded he'd be a brilliant manager in my view.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:26 pm

Think I heard Martin say on I follow last night from a Murray interview that his time at Mansfield his only remit was to not lose.

Not sure how he came to that conclusion imo he bottled it after playing Bristol Rovers at home that led to his negative tactics.

Not to mention playing 7 defenders in a home match against Stevenage.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Stafford » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:07 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
The One wrote:
James wrote:

Don't forget that he spent a fortune and then when his signings were pants had to revert to Murray's signings.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but the only player Evans signed who was a great signing was Bobby Olejnik (I'm talking about "in hindsight") The first names on many fan's starting XI are either Murray, Flitcroft or Demps signings. The guy cost us a fortune and all he every achieved was 12th and lots of expensive dead wood we couldn't shift.

Hayden White was a great SE signing too.
First Stags game:

Stags 0 - 0 Exeter City
April 24, 1993
Stafford
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum