{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Crewe scorefred sponsered by who cares

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Crewe scorefred sponsered by who cares

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:29 am

Ryan Wintle was excellent for Crewe and kept the ball all night long in the holding role.

The difference was, you can’t press high with Andy Cook as a striker. For the first fifteen minutes, Knowles and Dapo played just behind Cook. All the Crewe defenders had to go was move it from side to side and pop into Wintle and they were out. Eventually Glover told Knowles to push up and Dapo to sit on Wintle and then we started causing more problems.

On the other side, we are insistent on trying to play from the back, without and clear plan of how to beat the press. The defenders aren’t very good on the ball, Shaughnessy aside, the midfielders don’t show for the ball, so the defenders end up having to play in the channels which Cook can’t chase and Knowles wasn’t strong enough to hold it. When you have Cook up top, you have to get it up to him instead of playing from the back with no plan. This is one of my main problems with Dempster, I don’t think he works on phases of play. It seems he just picks eleven players on and expects them to work it out for themselves.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:55 am

I was one of the 800.My summary of the game.Olejnik was beaten at the near post which was disappointing.Still prefer him to Logan as he is quicker at distributing the ball than Logan.Knowles is a good prospect but still fourth choice.He did well overall.We looked much better when Mellis came on.He is a playmaker and has to play imo.Smith may make the step up.Not sure about Tomlinson I have seen him several times and not impressed.Crewe were better on the ball and made us look pedestrian at times.If we step it up a bit on Saturday we should win.I feel this is a game we should win and cannot afford to lose.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby CassellsCap » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:44 pm

Mellis would get in any team in this league ..he needs good players around him to be at his most affective
CassellsCap
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Amberheart » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:55 pm

I thought that despite getting into good positions Cook looked slow & unfit like he was still carrying an injury
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby MOTG » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:14 pm

In all honesty I’m not too bothered if we go out of this Competition. Nice to give fringe players a game and those coming back from injuries and suspensions some game time but other than that I’m not too concerned.
I didn’t go to the game but from all the reports about Crewe’s possession they didn’t do a lot with it.
MOTG
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:01 pm

I agree. It is not an important tournament. I felt it was quite an entertaining game with both sides fielding some young players alongside experienced first-teamers. Both sides attempted to play quality football, building moves from defence. I felt Crewe had the edge, primarily because they had an operational midfield, and we struggled there. It improved when Mellis came on and it was typical of our luck with injuries that it turned out to be something of a cameo, brought to a premature end by his hamstring strain. Our goal was taken well and there’s was scored from a most improbable angle - in fact the linesman thought it had gone into the side netting.
I thought Preston played well, and was great to see Bobby back. Now - if only we could deal with penalty shootouts!!!
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum