{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Time to ditch the 532

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Time to ditch the 532

Postby PEAR CIDER » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:57 am

With a fully fit squad I can only one team selection that is going to create anything

Bobby

HW KP RS MB
KG O'sh Otis CJ
DR NM

Get the full-backs overlapping, with OSha, covering as a defensive midfield.

Get back to 442 and the basics
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Re: Time to ditch the 532

Postby nick_stags » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:07 am

Otis Cm will leave that midfield wide open, especially given that White and Benning are very attacking fullbacks.

Agree with the formation though.
nick_stags
Manager
Manager

Postby stag861 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:29 am

At least we would win 10 - 9
Per crassum et tenues
stag861
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:52 am

If we are playing two similar holding midfield players together like Neal Bishop and Alex MacDonald then we might as well play 4-3-3 or 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1 which will still allow the full backs to push up.

The problem with 5-3-2 or 3-5-2 or 3-4-2-1 is that you often end up with five at the back and two or three defenders marking one player.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:54 am

Otis in a midfield 2? :shock:
James
Manager
Manager

Postby Herts Stag » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:38 am

CJ is someone who has had time to prove himself and failed. Plenty of pace but very little end product. I'd rather have Macca out wide.
Herts Stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby wink68 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:39 am

James wrote:Otis in a midfield 2? :shock:

Don't matter what formation we put out the players obviously don't believe in the manager. It's enevitable what the course of action will be. Just a matter of when JR admits to himself how much money he's throwing at another season of going nowhere.
wink68
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:48 am

Herts Stag wrote:CJ is someone who has had time to prove himself and failed. Plenty of pace but very little end product. I'd rather have Macca out wide.

CJ is at his best when he hugging the touchline, running at players and attempting to put balls into the box. It also makes other teams worry about his pace.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Gruff » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:53 am

Bobby
White Pearce Sweeney Benning
Bishop Mellis O'Shaugnessy
Maynard Khan
Rose

or CJ For Khan, Or Cook for Rose, or Omari for Maynard, or MacDonald for Bishop/O'S.... endless possibilities, and guaranteed victories.

Simples
Gruff
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby geoffhill » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:58 am

no such thing as a guaranteed victory
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby Gruff » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:44 am

geoffhill wrote:no such thing as a guaranteed victory

Really???? Sorry, my mistake.. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gruff
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Jimstag » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:44 am

We need to be controlling the play much more to be playing 532 and having more constant pressure up field to involve the wing backs more. What we’re finding is that we’re either playing it along the back 3 nicely with everyone upfield marked or going long to Rose which doesn’t make sense if he’s isolated. Personally I think something like a 433 would be better with the players we’ve got but I’m not in charge, probably for good reason!
Jimstag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:14 am

Diamond is the way forward for me. We have the players to execute it.

Bobby

White/Gordon
KP
Preston/Sweeney
Benning/CJ

Shaughnessy

Bish/Tommo/Macca
Mellis

Khan

Rose
Cook/Maynard
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby wink68 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:49 am

MTFCMusings wrote:Diamond is the way forward for me. We have the players to execute it.

Bobby

White/Gordon
KP
Preston/Sweeney
Benning/CJ

Shaughnessy

Bish/Tommo/Macca
Mellis

Khan

Rose
Cook/Maynard

16 players. We might get a point Saturday.
wink68
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:16 pm

We do need to ditch the back 3. Otis khan is a winger or behind the front 2. Not a central midfielder expected to get "dirty".

White got admitted to hospital for stomach cramps (any new on this?)

Assuming players unavailable vs Plymouth are still unavailable then I'd go for:

Logan
Clarke Pearce Sweeney Benning
Gordon Bishop Shaughnessy Khan
Rose Cook

Now for the reasoning. Clarke did ok in pre season (granted the opposition wasn't as strong as it could be) and our only fit right back.

I did retract a statement that Gordon shouldn't play right back but he played there for Derby's youth team on occasion and did well (according to my neighbour) I don't know how much game time Clarke has so may not be match fit. In that case Gordon at right back and CJ on RW (White would be preferred of course).

2 defensively biased midfielders in the middle, we are away from home and would give license for the full backs to get forwards.

2 target men, yeah I know, however they both are quite mobile (relatively speaking) and bot handfuls for defenders. Let them bully them for 60 minutes and bring on CJ and Maynard. No waiting until the 80th minute to make a change.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Sharp » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:31 pm

Herts Stag wrote:CJ is someone who has had time to prove himself and failed. Plenty of pace but very little end product. I'd rather have Macca out wide.

He is having a very poor season this year, but 13 goals in 48 games last year was a very good total for a player who played in so many positions (he was our second top scorer with the 3rd scoring 4 times!). He also contributed 8 assists so was directly involved in 21 of the 70 goals we scored so about 30%. Not exactly a failure last season and doesn't back up your lack of end product stat.

I've gathered the stats from various sites so if they're wrong so bit it, but I don't think they will be very far out.
Sharp
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:48 pm

Sharp wrote:

He is having a very poor season this year, but 13 goals in 48 games last year was a very good total for a player who played in so many positions (he was our second top scorer with the 3rd scoring 4 times!). He also contributed 8 assists so was directly involved in 21 of the 70 goals we scored so about 30%. Not exactly a failure last season and doesn't back up your lack of end product stat.

I've gathered the stats from various sites so if they're wrong so bit it, but I don't think they will be very far out.

I'd very much like to see the stats on a position basis. As is what position he was playing when each occured. Nigh on impossible without going back amd looking at each one manually.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby DogsDoDahs » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:05 pm

Think we should try a 4 3 3 formation. Let the four defenders work for their money. Line of defense much higher nearer the halfway line and use the offside trap properly. Goalkeeper to be camped on 18 yard line to act as sweeper to help defense. So White Pearce Sweeney Benning.
We dont have quality that is working in midfield and wont have this season so thats why only three in midfield. We use the long ball and effectively byepass them to a front three. But have a defensive midfielder and two quick wingers who when they do get the ball use pace and width to run at their defence. So Gordon on right Conor O in center Hamilton on left. Three strikers with a central target man and two quick lads to feed off Cook. So Rose on Left Cook in middle Maynard on right, all to interchange deliberately to hinder a man marking system. It wont be pretty but we will score goals, No 11 man defending from corners and free kicks and keep Benning away from our set pieces he stays on half way line with defense
DogsDoDahs
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Jamie » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:31 pm

We cant keep clean sheets at the moment with 5 defenders and two defensive midfielders. I fail to show going from 7 defensive players to 5 or 6 will improve that.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:34 pm

Rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:35 pm

Jamie wrote:We cant keep clean sheets at the moment with 5 defenders and two defensive midfielders. I fail to show going from 7 defensive players to 5 or 6 will improve that.

You start defending from the front... If your playing one up to and a have a weak midfield that don't work together and keep the ball of course you will concede goals.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby DogsDoDahs » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:06 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
Jamie wrote:We cant keep clean sheets at the moment with 5 defenders and two defensive midfielders. I fail to show going from 7 defensive players to 5 or 6 will improve that.

You start defending from the front... If your playing one up to and a have a weak midfield that don't work together and keep the ball of course you will concede goals.

I not saying we will keep clean sheets but we would create a lot of chances. Defending deep with 11 men behind the ball has not worked because its chaos with no organisation or communication. Less numbers in defense means more in their half of the pitch to create. Positive attack takes pressure of defense or score more goals than your opponents and get points on the board.Build momentum then a bit of confidence instead of negativity. Worth a try because changing manager all the time will not work.
DogsDoDahs
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby PEAR CIDER » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:19 pm

The attack is the best form of defense. IMO we invite too much pressure we cannot soak up. Adding more punch to the midfield might help here
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:36 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Diamond is the way forward for me. We have the players to execute it.

....with Nathan Jones as manager :lol:
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:47 pm

Sharp wrote:He is having a very poor season this year, but 13 goals in 48 games last year was a very good total for a player who played in so many positions (he was our second top scorer with the 3rd scoring 4 times!). He also contributed 8 assists so was directly involved in 21 of the 70 goals we scored so about 30%. Not exactly a failure last season and doesn't back up your lack of end product stat.

Good stats Rich.

CJ Hamilton scored 14 goals last season (11 league goals).

The four most important players last season for assists and being involved in the build up for goals were Tyler Walker, Jacob Mellis, CJ Hamilton and Mal Benning. From my records CJ had 8 assists and was involved in the build up for another 11 goals which means he was involved in 33 goals in total for league and cups. He is one of our main attacking threats and we need to get him back playing at his best.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum