{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Strikers

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Strikers

Postby Sneag » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:16 pm

Chrisuknottm wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:On another note regarding the strikers, Afolayan looked completely lost yesterday and made no impact at all. He looked like he didn’t know what to do or where to stand (though tbf he’s probably not used to playing as one of 4 strikers on the pitch, which was daft in itself) and looked absolutely shattered after 10 minutes.

I’d place him 5th/6th down the line in the pecking order for a start up top, just feels like a bit of a waste of time for all involved.

The guys around me and myself were saying exactly the same thing.....what was the thinking that he was what we needed? X Difficult for the lad to make any impression but like you said he looked lost.

The seasoned pro's looked confused, so Lord knows what Dapo was feeling.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby nigegray » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:23 pm

massive hole left not filled in walkers 26 goals last season boy does it show
nigegray
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:17 pm

nigegray wrote:massive hole left not filled in walkers 26 goals last season boy does it show

We have bigger problems with the defence/midfield. When we can get Maynard and Rose/Cook all firing we'll be fine up there.. it's just the other end of the pitch
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:07 pm

BH_Stag wrote:On another note regarding the strikers, Afolayan looked completely lost yesterday and made no impact at all. He looked like he didn’t know what to do or where to stand (though tbf he’s probably not used to playing as one of 4 strikers on the pitch, which was daft in itself) and looked absolutely shattered after 10 minutes.

I’d place him 5th/6th down the line in the pecking order for a start up top, just feels like a bit of a waste of time for all involved.

Panic loan signing.... has Dempster ever seen him play? what's he actually here for? waste of a loan signing.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:20 am

Sedgwick wrote:

Panic loan signing.... has Dempster ever seen him play? what's he actually here for? waste of a loan signing.

Sadly have to agree, looked a little boy lost
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:26 am

yorkshire stag wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

Sadly have to agree, looked a little boy lost

And to think, Dempster could have used Afolayan’s wage to sign a proper centre midfieder instead, which was a much more pressing need than a striker who will be behind Maynard, Rose, Cook, (Davies?) and CJ in the striking pecking order, and therefore probably barely get on the pitch from now on. A waste of a signing from Dempster.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:40 am

If we play Andy Cook and Danny Rose up front then we will have to hit lots of long balls to play to their strengths. This will not go down well with the fans if we do not win.

Many fans crucified Paul Cox for doing this in League 2 when we were in a similar league position and he had a much weaker squad of players due to having his playing budget halved. It has worked well though for the likes of Lincoln City and Wycombe Wanderers.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:45 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:If we play Andy Cook and Danny Rose up front then we will have to hit lots of long balls to play to their strengths. This will not go down well with the fans if we do not win.

Many fans crucified Paul Cox for doing this in League 2 when we were in a similar league position and he had a much weaker squad of players due to having his playing budget halved. It has worked well though for the likes of Lincoln City and Wycombe Wanderers.

If we have Andy Cook as a spearhead and Danny and Nicky Maynard playing off and behind him then we can use both options of along the floor but the release ball to Cooky. ...oooops sorry we didn't sign a creative midfielder in the transfer window and got Dapo and CO instead!!
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby James » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:52 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:If we play Andy Cook and Danny Rose up front then we will have to hit lots of long balls to play to their strengths. This will not go down well with the fans if we do not win.

Has Paul Cox got something on you?
James
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:47 am

Subs should have been on at least 30 mins before
Ryan Lowe must be laughing at us
Our top 2 signings one he knows well getting a soggy run out too late.
Rose works hard but needs a recognised striker with him.
The management team seems woeful end of but guessing we will need to be virtually bottom to get rid of him by the look of it.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:51 am

tillydog123 wrote:Subs should have been on at least 30 mins before
The management team seems woeful end of but guessing we will need to be virtually bottom to get rid of him by the look of it.

Looks like we are stuck with him so let's vote with our feet maybe the Board will respond to that
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:55 am

Chrisuknottm wrote:
tillydog123 wrote:Subs should have been on at least 30 mins before

Looks like we are stuck with him so let's vote with our feet maybe the Board will respond to that

i absolutely hate resorting to not going, only once under a different owner did i do it, most fans are now extremely frustrated that they appear to not being listened too, i cannot get my head round why we are prolonging the correct course of action, mind blowing it’s plain for all to see, it’s not bloody working
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:07 pm

Afolayan was a strange signing in the first and have no clue as to why he came to the club, what his role is. On Sat I don't think he knew himself what he came on to do.
Surely, Sterling James should have had a run out rather than him, he made no impact and looks totally light weight and lost.....sounds familiar when describing poor old JD

I feel sacking JD would be better for him by putting him out of his obvious misery unless he is blind to all of this.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:35 pm

Afolayan is only here until January. The loan expires then. Its not uncommon for teams to send youngsters out on loan without the loaning club needing to pay part of his wages.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:51 pm

Ta Gazza makes me feel slightly better we not paying too much for him.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:32 pm

It is supposition. From what I remmeber we wasn't up against other clubs to take him on loan. Not like walker for example. He also hardly set the league alight at Oldham. 0 goals in 10.

Id say the odds are that we pare paying West ham very little if anything for him. Hence only until January, if we want to keep him we would likely have to pay more and if he really shines he could be moved to league 1 (I know he's hardly shone but I'm talking about when the deal was made). Ho joined West Ham from solihull so I'd imagine his wages wouldn't be too high anyway.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:24 pm

Did Micky Moore work at Solihull around the time Dapo was there? Wonder if the recommendation could've come from there.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:06 pm

I must admit that when I watched the video of Solihull Moors goals from 2016-2017 the player that caught my eye was Omari Sterling-James.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:12 pm

Sedgwick wrote:

Isn't this Burgess' responsibility and not Dempster's?
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:31 pm

georgefostersbeard wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

Isn't this Burgess' responsibility and not Dempster's?

Some may make the link that our form faltered after Abbott was appointed and carries on after Burgess got the same role.

Thinking about it would Abbott be a good mentor for Demps?
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:03 pm

Andy Burgess, just exactly what does he bring to the party again ?

the most over rated lazy player i’ve ever seen pull on a Stags shirt ever !

a right quality addition he is !
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:34 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:Andy Burgess, just exactly what does he bring to the party again ?

To be fair, he's not playing. So no matter how rubbish he was he's here in a different role.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:35 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:Andy Burgess, just exactly what does he bring to the party again ?

To be fair, he's not playing. So no matter how rubbish he was he's here in a different role.

what’s his contribution to date then you think?
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:41 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:

No idea. As head of recruitment I would assume the signings in the summer.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:55 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:

No idea. As head of recruitment I would assume the signings in the summer.

And on face value Maynard Cook and Gordon were excellent....must be something else that's wrong with the team
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum