{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Strikers

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Strikers

Postby Kernow » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:39 am

When we have players who miss easy chances on the pitch, do we let two players who proved themselves last season, sit on the bench. Favouritism or what. Remember speaking to Nicky early days, he been told him play in a two upfront and play to his style ,through the channels. What changed or is Coxy advising behind the scenes. Sort it before these guys switch off totally.
Kernow
Manager
Manager

Re: Strikers

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:51 am

What players are you talking about? Mellis & Tomlinson, only two on the bench yesterday from last season.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:54 am

Surely he means Cook and Maynard who have both proved themselves for a few seasons.

I bet the pair of them are wondering what on earth they have got themselves into
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:55 am

Sedgwick wrote:What players are you talking about? Mellis & Tomlinson, only two on the bench yesterday from last season.

He's talking about Maynard and Cook who both did it at their previous clubs.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Kenwood » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:57 am

kevin kents tasce wrote:Surely he means Cook and Maynard who have both proved themselves for a few seasons.

I bet the pair of them are wondering what on earth they have got themselves into

Not sure Cook can complain too much the two chances he’s missed in the last two home matches have been woeful
Kenwood
First Team
First Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:00 am

Maynard was coming back from injury and only started training again on Thur or Fri so plainly wasn't ready to start. That said, I would definitely have brought him on earlier than 80 minutes.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Chrisuknottm » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:02 am

Kenwood wrote:
kevin kents tasce wrote:Surely he means Cook and Maynard who have both proved themselves for a few seasons.

Not sure Cook can complain too much the two chances he’s missed in the last two home matches have been woeful

Cook isn't the type of player to be an impact sub. He's an out and out target man to mix it with big defenders and let them know he's there and force mistakes for himself and his team mates to take advantage. .. exactly what CJ wasn't yesterday. ..their defenders weren't worried about him so it was Danny alone.

I'd honestly play Cook and Maynard together with Danny just behind...it's where he was forced to play yesterday coming back more and more just to get the ball after Khan was substituted.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:04 am

Martin Shaw wrote:Maynard was coming back from injury and only started training again on Thur or Fri so plainly wasn't ready to start. That said, I would definitely have brought him on earlier than 80 minutes.

Agreed, wouldn't of thought he would be starting... but the subs are always way too late.

Cook and Maynard not started together yet?

I know Danny is top scorer but hes hardly a goal threat or likely to bag a winner out of nothing is he.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:05 am

Don't agree Kenwood. The one yesterday was a very good save. Although I agree should have done better v Cambridge. That said it's unfair to expect a striker to get a few minutes every now and again and expect them to be sharp. It doesn't happen at any level of football.

I would say that we had two attempts on goal yesterday, both were from Cook who only played 20 minutes.

Cook should be the target man and Rose or Maynard should be playing off him.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:54 am

When Maynard was warming up, he kept looking back to the bench as if to say, is it time yet? Especially when Dapo came on before him. He even pointed to his watch at one point.

With the strikers we have, we have to play two up too.
Appreciate Cook has missed two good chances but he’s in the position to miss them and has only been on the pitch about 15 mins in each game. Rose has barely had a chance in open play up top on his own.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby S7AGS » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:08 am

As good as Maynard is I’d have cook start every game and alternate Rose and Maynard...cook needs to play games, he’s not naturally fit so needs to just play and be that horrible striker teams hate to see on the teamsheet.

I’d probably play Rose as well, play all 3...we make it too complicated, play your best players at this level.
S7AGS
First Team
First Team

Postby NorthLondonStag » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:29 am

S7AGS wrote:As good as Maynard is I’d have cook start every game and alternate Rose and Maynard...cook needs to play games, he’s not naturally fit so needs to just play and be that horrible striker teams hate to see on the teamsheet.

I’d probably play Rose as well, play all 3...we make it too complicated, play your best players at this level.

Cook is certainly not naturally fit. I don’t really understand why he isn’t in condition though.

Surely if you are a pro and it’s your full time job then you get yourself fit. Treadmill, exercise bike, high rep weights, HIIT, swimming, laying off the booze and the carbs. They also have fitness coaches fgs.

Match fitness/sharpness I accept is different, but no excuse for reasonably well paid players not being fit. They’ve nowt else to do all day.

And yes I accept you don’t want your players over trained but that’s what the fitness coach is there for.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:41 am

MTFCMusings wrote:When Maynard was warming up, he kept looking back to the bench as if to say, is it time yet? Especially when Dapo came on before him. He even pointed to his watch at one point.

With the strikers we have, we have to play two up too.
Appreciate Cook has missed two good chances but he’s in the position to miss them and has only been on the pitch about 15 mins in each game. Rose has barely had a chance in open play up top on his own.

I sense that the players are unimpressed by Dempster’s strategic lethargy.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:40 pm

Natural fitness is more how quickly a player recovers from injury, how they recover between matches and training. It's like pace it's not something you are taught, some player have it and some don't. If a player in injured alot and its not a recurring injury (eg Craig Davies) would indicate they would struggle to see games out and likely to get injured again if they are subject to too many games or training sessions. Or a player in his early to mid 30s who's "legs have gone" would indicate a low level of natural fitness. Or a player in his late 30s who can still mix it up with the young uns (eg Bishop) would indicate a high level of natural fitness.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:47 pm

I think Rose is playing very well as a lone striker feeding off scraps but I think Cook has got more guile about him especially if it was a front two. I would be going with Cook and Maynard. Once fully fit that pairing should be very good at this level. I could even start dreaming of the play offs :lol:
:coys:
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby NorthLondonStag » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:49 pm

gazza1988 wrote:Natural fitness is more how quickly a player recovers from injury, how they recover between matches and training. It's like pace it's not something you are taught, some player have it and some don't. If a player in injured alot and its not a recurring injury (eg Craig Davies) would indicate they would struggle to see games out and likely to get injured again if they are subject to too many games or training sessions. Or a player in his early to mid 30s who's "legs have gone" would indicate a low level of natural fitness. Or a player in his late 30s who can still mix it up with the young uns (eg Bishop) would indicate a high level of natural fitness.

Yep, but still no excuse IMO for being unconditioned for a pro outfield player. Whether you are naturally fit based on your explanation or not, you can still be conditioned and outwardly fit, as a result of proper disciplined training and diet. And if you are 'trained' fit then you are more likely to be able to go for longer in games and to recover quickly from exertion.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:58 pm

NorthLondonStag wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:Natural fitness is more how quickly a player recovers from injury, how they recover between matches and training. It's like pace it's not something you are taught, some player have it and some don't. If a player in injured alot and its not a recurring injury (eg Craig Davies) would indicate they would struggle to see games out and likely to get injured again if they are subject to too many games or training sessions. Or a player in his early to mid 30s who's "legs have gone" would indicate a low level of natural fitness. Or a player in his late 30s who can still mix it up with the young uns (eg Bishop) would indicate a high level of natural fitness.

Yep, but still no excuse IMO for being unconditioned for a pro outfield player. Whether you are naturally fit based on your explanation or not, you can still be conditioned and outwardly fit, as a result of proper disciplined training and diet. And if you are 'trained' fit then you are more likely to be able to go for longer in games and to recover quickly from exertion.

Of course you can. You can be fit and carrying a bit of timber as well. You have to consider mental fitness as well. Which is part of what Drewe Broughton is doing. I will go out on a limb here and say there's not many footballers that are 100% physically and mentally fit out there. We all have our problems which affect our performances on a day to day basis, I'm not just talking about footballers there.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby NorthLondonStag » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:08 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
NorthLondonStag wrote:

Of course you can. You can be fit and carrying a bit of timber as well. You have to consider mental fitness as well. Which is part of what Drewe Broughton is doing. I will go out on a limb here and say there's not many footballers that are 100% physically and mentally fit out there. We all have our problems which affect our performances on a day to day basis, I'm not just talking about footballers there.

(I don't understand 'of course you can' as it can't possible relate back to any of my post). In any case I agree with the mental fitness/wellbeing point, at all levels. It's overlooked in football (hopefully less so now) and the same applies elsewhere.

I also don't disagree it's possible to be 'fit' (in a very general sense) and also carry some timber. We'd all like to think that about ourselves...

My point is very straightforward - I do not believe that it is sensible or disciplined for a pro footballer in this day and age to be carrying 'timber'. I've never seen it recommended by any coaches or training manual. Carrying timber can't be an aid to fitness or performance (if you want to bulk up to put it about then put muscle on).
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:02 pm

NorthLondonStag wrote:

You can still be fit enough to play professional football and have a bit of a belly on you/ look like Andy Cook... there isn't one body type of a footballer. Works the other way too, there's some absolute stick thin defenders in the championship who you'd think should bulk up and put some muscle on but are still strong, Scott Malone is a great example. I doubt anyone at Accrington gave a toss about Billy Kee having a packet of crisps and a pint then a takeaway after a game every week when he was banging them in.

Play cook, let him cause havoc for defences and he'll score.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:21 pm

As the defence has looked porous why don't we try Cook and Maynard there, according to Gazza you don't need to play in your preferred position, versatility is the key ;)
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:53 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:As the defence has looked porous why don't we try Cook and Maynard there, according to Gazza you don't need to play in your preferred position, versatility is the key ;)

They'd deal with crosses better :D
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby yellas-derek-yellas » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:35 pm

It is great that Danny Rose has learned how to jump but it seems he is often the target man with no one to feed.
Maynard and Rose swapping roles would be potent if they could get it together.
yellas-derek-yellas
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:41 pm

We’re still talking about Cook and his weight? He’s always looked like this, for example when he was banging in goals for Tranmere and Walsall. With him close to fully recovering from his injury, I’m confident that Cook will be able to complete 90 minutes of football. He will have done it countless times in the last few seasons looking exactly the same as he does now with regards to his ‘weight’ and the timber he’s carrying.

I agree with some of the opinions on this thread when it comes to starting Cook and Maynard up top together. I think the two of them will be our best forward duo. I doubt Rose will be dropped any time soon though.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:58 pm

On another note regarding the strikers, Afolayan looked completely lost yesterday and made no impact at all. He looked like he didn’t know what to do or where to stand (though tbf he’s probably not used to playing as one of 4 strikers on the pitch, which was daft in itself) and looked absolutely shattered after 10 minutes.

I’d place him 5th/6th down the line in the pecking order for a start up top, just feels like a bit of a waste of time for all involved.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:12 pm

BH_Stag wrote:On another note regarding the strikers, Afolayan looked completely lost yesterday and made no impact at all. He looked like he didn’t know what to do or where to stand (though tbf he’s probably not used to playing as one of 4 strikers on the pitch, which was daft in itself) and looked absolutely shattered after 10 minutes.

I’d place him 5th/6th down the line in the pecking order for a start up top, just feels like a bit of a waste of time for all involved.

The guys around me and myself were saying exactly the same thing.....what was the thinking that he was what we needed? X Difficult for the lad to make any impression but like you said he looked lost.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum