{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Argyle scorefred sponsored by have we turned a corner?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Argyle scorefred sponsored by have we turned a corner?

Postby adamstag » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:01 pm

Stringy wrote:We are terrible but don't let that cloud our judgement. Sacking Flitcroft was the right decision.

Yes if was
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby AlanStag » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:06 pm

Agree with Sneag and Stringy, sacking Flictroft was right but the appointment of his successor may not have been right. Had we been top 7 there would be no mention of DF, it's just a cheap easy argument now things aren't going great.

DF had a ridiculous budget, got pretty much every player he wanted and we paid off all those he didn't want. We gave him hotel stays for pretty much every away game which is ridiculous given many games are under 2 hours away. Towards the end of the season we trained at many top clubs, maybe at the generosity of other clubs, but in the build up to the MK Dons we trained at St George's which would have cost a fair bit. All in all, DF had no excuses to lose all three of the last games and his sacking was justified.
AlanStag
Manager
Manager

Postby BigGuy » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:19 pm

Apart from three players that we couldn’t get rid off you mean.

Enjoy this lower to mid table season, its what you wanted.
BigGuy
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:24 pm

Stringy wrote:We are terrible but don't let that cloud our judgement. Sacking Flitcroft was the right decision.

It really wasn't. He got us 4th, the best position in years... so so close with a squad full of enough players to disrupt the squad on high wages that didn't want to move on. This also took a massive chunk out of his budget, one reason we were so light upfront and had so many players on loan.

Should of copied Lincoln and stuck with the manager after play off defeat
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby BigGuy » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:25 pm

adamstag wrote:
Yes if was

Three words and still can’t get it right.
BigGuy
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:27 pm

Flitcroft managed to mess up the first promotion (forgivable) but the second time after full backing and a full season was not, let’s not pretend how the end of last season was on par with what we’ve got now.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby BigGuy » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:27 pm

AlanStag wrote: it's just a cheap easy argument now things aren't going great.

Hardly a cheap argument given things are far from going great, you might want to look at the league table sometime this weekend.
BigGuy
Manager
Manager

Postby awalkinthepark » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:35 pm

Sedgwick wrote:

It really wasn't. He got us 4th, the best position in years... so so close with a squad full of enough players to disrupt the squad on high wages that didn't want to move on. This also took a massive chunk out of his budget, one reason we were so light upfront and had so many players on loan.

Just as a point of comparison Flitcroft's last 11 league games yielded 12 points. Not much better than Dempster's total.
awalkinthepark
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Stringy » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:37 pm

Sedgwick wrote:

We should have been promoted last season and had enough chances to do it, although we were excellent until February and I probably would have been satisfied if we'd given him one more season. That said, it was absolutely the right decision to sack him. He failed two seasons in a row. A decent coach but I remain unconvinced.
Stringy
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Stags 2002 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:48 pm

Sedgwick wrote:

He got us 4th, i agree. But it was the form earlier in the season that arguably secured it when those so called merchants where still on the scene.

The form from February onwards was terrible, we've been on a downward spiral since then and we've merely continued it into this season. Dempster needs to go there is no doubt but I can't help feel that the poor bloke has been stitched up given last season's capitulation into thinking we only needed to sign a few strikers.

Our form divided on the back of Hayden Whites injury (look at the stats - proven again last week when he plays we have a significantly higher chance (albeit a draw) of winning with the wing back formation), and Flitcrofts failure to replace him in an amongst his other January flops contributed hugely to our downfall.

DF had no plan B, he couldn't adapt and it was the right to let him go. The mistake was not to bring in an experienced manager.
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

Postby AlanStag » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:50 pm

BigGuy wrote:
AlanStag wrote: it's just a cheap easy argument now things aren't going great.

Hardly a cheap argument given things are far from going great, you might want to look at the league table sometime this weekend.

So you'd rather be higher in the table after 11 games, but miss out on promotion yet again?

It's just plainly short sighted to look at it and say we'd be better under DF. Would we be higher in the table at this point? Possibly, but it's a pointless question, we could have been worse if Flitcroft stayed!

The truth is he had two chances to get us promoted and bottled both attempts. If he had the ability to get us up he would have done last season in a poor league 2.
AlanStag
Manager
Manager

Postby BigGuy » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:52 pm

Of course I’d want to be higher in the table and challenging for promotion, even if we missed out again, better than a relegation battle.

What a strange question.
BigGuy
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:53 pm

Conker wrote:Flitcroft managed to mess up the first promotion (forgivable) but the second time after full backing and a full season was not, let’s not pretend how the end of last season was on par with what we’ve got now.

First promotion? WOW! Talk about priviledged. Evans got us 12th in his first season and signed a boatload of players on high wages and barely played them. He had to resort to Murray's players to start winning. We were 5th when he left. That is not promotion, its the play off lottery.

Alanstag, where did you get the info from he didn't get every player he wanted (that was Evans) we didn't pay off players he didn't want. He wanted rid of Anderson, Mirfin, Diamond, Atkinson and Butcher. He had to get rid of them if he wanted more players. In the end he kept Atkinson, Diamond retired through injury around christmas, Butcher went to Scotland (Dundee I think, not100%) in the January. Anderson was finally paid up on deadline day in January. Mirfin went to York on loan in January (I think he retired through injury as well). With the freed up wages from, Butcher, Diamond and Mirfin (can't see York paying his full wage but part of it) DF managed to bring in Turner, Jones, Tomlinson and Ajose.

Put it this way, now they have gone JD managed to afford Nicky Maynard, Andy Cook, Dion Donohue, Kellen Gordon, Dapo Afolayan,Aidan Stone and James Clarke (I could have missed someone). Tomlinson is still here.

For me, this would have been DF's final opportunity with no excuses available. I mentioned last season that he had too many extenuating circumstances out of his control that worked against him. We've basically got so close to our targets (both targets went down to the last game of the season) that we've now ripped it all up to start again.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:18 pm

I should also add the form book doesn't lie, taking form for clubs in league 2 this year and last since 28th Jan there have only been 6 clubs with worse form than our own and we've already played 5 of them this season!!!

We could be further down the list given many have played less games and could easily leap our total which would leave only Port Vale below us by 1 point. In a normal season thats relegation so it isn't a surprise we find ourselves where we are.

MK Dons - Played 18 pts 32
Mansfield Town - played 28 pts 32
Tranmere Rovers - played 17 pts 31
Stevenage - played 27 pts 31
Morecambe - played 26 pts 31
Port Vale - played 28 pts 31
Carlisle United - played 27 pts 31
Cambridge United - played 27 pts 30
Macclesfield Town - played 27 pts 30

We've played 10 games more than MK dons and Tranmere since their promotions yet are only on par with their respective points haul in their final 17/18 games.
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:19 pm

I didn’t mean it that way Gazza, so pop that opinion back in the treasure chest.

I think this notion we were wrong to sack DF purely because Dempster is a disaster is typical poorly thought out emotional stuff.

We haven’t made the correct managerial appointment since Cox.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:32 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
Conker wrote:Flitcroft managed to mess up the first promotion (forgivable) but the second time after full backing and a full season was not, let’s not pretend how the end of last season was on par with what we’ve got now.

First promotion? WOW! Talk about priviledged. Evans got us 12th in his first season and signed a boatload of players on high wages and barely played them. He had to resort to Murray's players to start winning. We were 5th when he left. That is not promotion, its the play off lottery.

Alanstag, where did you get the info from he didn't get every player he wanted (that was Evans) we didn't pay off players he didn't want. He wanted rid of Anderson, Mirfin, Diamond, Atkinson and Butcher. He had to get rid of them if he wanted more players. In the end he kept Atkinson, Diamond retired through injury around christmas, Butcher went to Scotland (Dundee I think, not100%) in the January. Anderson was finally paid up on deadline day in January. Mirfin went to York on loan in January (I think he retired through injury as well). With the freed up wages from, Butcher, Diamond and Mirfin (can't see York paying his full wage but part of it) DF managed to bring in Turner, Jones, Tomlinson and Ajose.

Put it this way, now they have gone JD managed to afford Nicky Maynard, Andy Cook, Dion Donohue, Kellen Gordon, Dapo Afolayan,Aidan Stone and James Clarke (I could have missed someone). Tomlinson is still here.

For me, this would have been DF's final opportunity with no excuses available. I mentioned last season that he had too many extenuating circumstances out of his control that worked against him. We've basically got so close to our targets (both targets went down to the last game of the season) that we've now ripped it all up to start again.

Exactly. DF should of been given one more go with a full squad of his own players. Most players want their squad made up of all their own signings, DF got the best out of mostly what was already here.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Vicar Jeremiah » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:40 pm

DF failing once was careless, failing twice was criminal.
Kylie Minogue - God's gift to mankind
Vicar Jeremiah
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:09 pm

Vicar Jeremiah wrote:DF failing once was careless, failing twice was criminal.

He didn't fail the first time... do you have any idea how hard it is for a team to change the way they play that late into the season? DF could just let them carry on doing as they were before either or what was the point in having a manager, the team didn't come with a user manual.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:10 pm

Sedgwick the recent stats prove otherwise. Two thirds of that form is under Flitcroft so what may have worked early season clearly had faltered which is why he had to go.
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:14 pm

Sedgwick wrote:

He didn't fail the first time... do you have any idea how hard it is for a team to change the way they play that late into the season? DF could just let them carry on doing as they were before either or what was the point in having a manager, the team didn't come with a user manual.

Then don’t change the style. See Mick Harford with Luton.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Gruff » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:17 pm

maybe, just maybe... these players aren't really good enough, and maybe the previous managers just got more out of them, but they got found out towards the end of the season.
Gruff
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bigalstag » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:20 pm

And you think Dempster is even going to get us close to the position that Flitcroft got us up to last season.The decision to sack him was poor, and just how poor, has become apparent this season.
bigalstag
First Team
First Team

Postby sw19stag » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:30 pm

Gruff wrote:maybe, just maybe... these players aren't really good enough, and maybe the previous managers just got more out of them, but they got found out towards the end of the season.

I think you may well be right.
sw19stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:36 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

Then don’t change the style. See Mick Harford with Luton.

He didn't change the style, we still smacked it long to Rose, we still played Anderson at RB, until DF saw it really wasn't working and tried White there, we still played 4-4-2. We still had some tough games in those last games. Swindon were still in the play off hunt as well when DF took over us and so was Peterborough, all 3 sides faltered changing manager at that point in the season. That can't be a coincidence.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:39 pm

sw19stag wrote:
Gruff wrote:maybe, just maybe... these players aren't really good enough, and maybe the previous managers just got more out of them, but they got found out towards the end of the season.

I think you may well be right.

The phrase 'spunkless bottlers ' comes to mind
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum