{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Argyle scorefred sponsored by have we turned a corner?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Argyle scorefred sponsored by have we turned a corner?

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:40 pm

Gruff wrote:maybe, just maybe... these players aren't really good enough, and maybe the previous managers just got more out of them, but they got found out towards the end of the season.

It's a good shout but then again that's the point of managing, getting the best out of the players you have. JD doesn't seem to be able to do it. He's shown glimpses but not emnough at a consistant level
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:20 pm

Who were interviewed when Murray was appointed?

I seem to remember there was a good pedigree on that list? That was the last time we interviewed. Where are they now?
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:35 pm

Gruff wrote:maybe, just maybe... these players aren't really good enough, and maybe the previous managers just got more out of them, but they got found out towards the end of the season.

So you’re suggesting the manager outperformed the squads ability by 15 places on current positions? Rubbish. 4 or 5 places possibly, but not that many.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby nick_stags » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:37 pm

We have a very good squad (except maybe the midfield depth). The manager is failing to get the best out of them so far this season.
nick_stags
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:20 pm

nick_stags wrote:We have a very good squad (except maybe the midfield depth). The manager is failing to get the best out of them so far this season.

Thanks Sherlock, been thinking all night, whats gone wrong.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby nick_stags » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:01 am

The One wrote:
nick_stags wrote:We have a very good squad (except maybe the midfield depth). The manager is failing to get the best out of them so far this season.

Thanks Sherlock, been thinking all night, whats gone wrong.

The reply was in response to Gruff who said our squad may not be good enough.

Get back in your box.
nick_stags
Manager
Manager

Postby Tawnystag » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:35 am

Stick with them they will turn it around. Performances of late have been much improved and we have been unfortunate not to get something.
Tawnystag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Chrisuknottm » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:40 am

Tawnystag wrote:Stick with them they will turn it around. Performances of late have been much improved and we have been unfortunate not to get something.

How were we "unfortunate" yesterday. We had two efforts on goal in 98 minutes. They shoukd have had 3 or 4 in the first half. We couldn't get free kicks beyond the first defender, they easily defended every corner, he took off the only creative player we had again then expected the forward line that should have been on from the start to score with no service. Where on earth do you believe this clueless management team are going to find anything to turn it round. We are in 20th place for heavens sake and 1 point from last 12.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Jamie » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:50 am

Chrisuknottm wrote:
Tawnystag wrote:Stick with them they will turn it around. Performances of late have been much improved and we have been unfortunate not to get something.

How were we "unfortunate" yesterday. We had two efforts on goal in 98 minutes. They shoukd have had 3 or 4 in the first half. We couldn't get free kicks beyond the first defender, they easily defended every corner, he took off the only creative player we had again then expected the forward line that should have been on from the start to score with no service. Where on earth do you believe this clueless management team are going to find anything to turn it round. We are in 20th place for heavens sake and 1 point from last 12.

Spot on Chris. Yesterday was very poor, to suggest it was much improved is nonsense.

Dempster has to go and every day that doesn't happen is another day wasted.

Hes tactically nieve, not getting the best from them and cant organise a defensive if his life depended on it.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:54 am

It’s not going to work, lovely idea i grant you!

however it’s clear as day JD isn’t going to work as gaffa

i’m struggling to see why the board are persisting, is it just being stubborn ?

the home attendances will now drop imo

fans will vote with their feet, as really that’s all they can do, heard several yesterday on the way out say not coming back until he’s gone
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:59 am

:lol:
James
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:02 am

James wrote:

:lol:

Tick Tock time for change, not after GRIMsby, not after the FA cup games, not after Christmas...NOW
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:40 am

yorkshire stag wrote:It’s not going to work, lovely idea i grant you!

however it’s clear as day JD isn’t going to work as gaffa

i’m struggling to see why the board are persisting, is it just being stubborn ?

the home attendances will now drop imo

fans will vote with their feet, as really that’s all they can do, heard several yesterday on the way out say not coming back until he’s gone

I'm in that camp now.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:21 am

wink68 wrote:Oh yes and we sacked an experienced league manager with promotions on his cv for someone who has never managed a league game. I wonder what the problem could be.

You could argue that DF has only achieved one promotion with a massive budget at Bury. How much of Bury's £8-10 million of debts were racked up when he was in charge?
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:27 am

Basically we’ve employed the wrong gaffer now ever since Cox. All of em have effed it up!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby NG17_stag » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:30 am

Out of interest, what’s your perception of turning it around? Are we still going to make top 3? Top 7? Or does turning it around just mean playing better and picking up a few more points to see out another season?
NG17_stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby oldweststander » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:37 am

Play better and who knows where we will be.

A run of ten games undefeated would only get us up to halfway.

35 games left at 2pts a game would give us 70pts, not enough for the play offs, I feel we are heading for upper mid table under a new manager, relegation battle under Dempster's management team.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby ST4GS » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:56 am

oldweststander wrote:Play better and who knows where we will be.

35 games left at 2pts a game would give us 70pts, not enough for the play offs, I feel we are heading for upper mid table under a new manager, relegation battle under Dempster's management team.
We could go up automatically with another 70 points and will certainly finish top 7!!!
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:05 am

ST4GS wrote:
oldweststander wrote:Play better and who knows where we will be.

We could go up automatically with another 70 points and will certainly finish top 7!!!

With respect guys where are we going to get 2 points a game under Dempster....he's got 1 from the last 12
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby spanishstag » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:23 pm

I never trust anybody who says ,GUYS ,chaps ,maybe folks occasionally ,blokes deffo ,
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby BigGuy » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:56 pm

I said 12th we’d finish this season, i’d take that right now
BigGuy
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:05 pm

spanishstag wrote:I never trust anybody who says ,GUYS ,chaps ,maybe folks occasionally ,blokes deffo ,

Thanks Spanish I equally never trust anybody who can't put a comma in the right place but hey ho
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:08 pm

Chrisuknottm wrote:
spanishstag wrote:I never trust anybody who says ,GUYS ,chaps ,maybe folks occasionally ,blokes deffo ,

Thanks Spanish I equally never trust anybody who can't put a comma in the right place but hey ho

You got an apostrophe, you got a friend.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:58 pm

[b]Reaction from Plymouth Fans[/b]

"We started off slowly then towards the end of the first half we were dominating the game, with the goal seeming to have a galvanising effect on the team. We didn't get going in the same way that much in the second half but Mansfield were really putting a lot of effort into winning possession, which they did without creating that many clear-cut chances. Under pressure we defended well and although hampered by injuries to key players we still created some dangerous situations. By the end of the game it was noticeable that some of the Mansfield players looked tired."

"Team had a more balanced look with Cooper on the right supporting Joel Grant and Mayor/ Macfadzean attacking on the left. Connor Grant scored an early screamer then the whole team defended as if their lives depended on keeping a clean sheet. Aimson and Riley made last ditch blocks; Palmer took crosses and made one great diving save. We lost attacking potency when we lost Cooper and Mayor to injuries- Mayor looked to run off a groin strain so fingers crossed he was subbed before he did any serious damage. Mansfield seemed to have a similar philosophy to our own with plenty of doubts expressed by their fans pre match on playing out from the back and being too reliant on one player (Rose) when attacking. In my opinion, Lowe has assembled a squad with no passengers but the downside of that is that it is taking a while to select the best team. Edwards at right wing back or defensive midfield? Baxter Connor Grant Sarcevic Cooper- all worthy of selection but how best to accommodate them all? A gritty away win today with less flowing football against a team who are better than their fans were giving them credit for pre match. Great to see how much the win meant to players and coaches at the end- they hugged each other like we had won the Cup! A very enjoyable away day"

"We were lucky to take all three points, we were not very good."

"Pleased about the away win and 3 points, I really am. But, a neutral might say: Was this a case of Mansfield being poor rather than Argyle being good? Based on that performance I could see Mansfield being relegated this season."

"Score one and hang on for 60 minutes - Isn't that the Adams way?"

"I enjoyed the result but not the game. Conditions did not help and made our approach to playing out from the back hair raising at times and too often ended with us losing the ball, often in our own half. Palmer was excellent when the ball was coming at him but distribution was woeful. Positively, we defended everything that was lobbed at is and when we get the ball beyond the half way line we can move it very well. Mayor is a racehorse in this league and is class. I wonder whether Edwards to right back is tactical as Grant moved the ball forwards more (although wasn’t the defensive shield that Edwards is)."

"Thank goodness. I was beginning to have my doubts about Ryan Lowe. Insisting that champagne football was necessary all the time was not convincing me. Great if the team is in control of the game but yesterday that was not the case. The second half yesterday bore a striking resemblance to many we have seen over the last four years. It was totally necessary. The team and fans needed a win at any costs and if that meant resorting to blocking and hoofing that is okay. I now have more faith in the manager."

"I was disappointed Ryan Lowe had previously refused to have a Plan B which is what we needed in some games this season. He switched from 3-5-2 to 3-4-3 against Mansfield and it worked!"

"Good ugly win, with 6 bookings for us"
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:19 pm

"Pleased about the away win and 3 points, I really am. But, a neutral might say: Was this a case of Mansfield being poor rather than Argyle being good? Based on that performance I could see Mansfield being relegated this season."

Extract from the above says it all, even other teams fans are suggesting we could be relegated and confirming what a large number of our own fans already fear could happen. :|
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum