{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Our next three games

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Our next three games

Postby Chrisuknottm » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:27 am

Spiritater wrote:
Chrisuknottm wrote:
arsene wengers coat wrote:
Jimstag wrote: I hope we get the results, I’m not sure all of our fans feel that way.

I didn't hate Evans, I quite liked him, but I now hate what he did.
I liked Flitcroft and wanted him to stay. I was annoyed when he was sacked.
I've been an ardent 'Dempster Out' for some time. I was on his back early because I could and still can, only see failure. Dismal, horrendous failure. However, when it comes to 3pm on Saturday, I will always want Mansfield to win, maybe too much. Regardless of everything, I want MTFC to win.

The lack.of performances, results and buzz, I want Dempster out. But if be turns it round, then great. I just doubt he can or will. Sorry.

As always totally agree AWC

If he does turn it round will you both come on here and say, 'what a couple of silly arses we've been'... or stay quiet wating for him to lose a couple so you can say, ' I told you so'?

And if he doesn't or even worse takes us down what will you do....
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Jimstag » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:38 am

I think I’m in a similar boat but I want to back JD while he’s the boss.
I want him to turn it around. I don’t think I’ve seen enough to say he will do it but while he’s there I’ll support his team.
The votes on what to do around bury will decide more. If there’s only 1 relegation place I can see him getting longer to turn it around. Look at teams like Crewe and Exeter so far this season, I’m sure fans weren’t as happy this time last season?
Jimstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:12 am

that's not the answer to the question posed by me though is it chris?

for me if he doesn't then we'll see what jr does, we'll be no worse off than the majority of our lowly existence through history.

makes me laugh on another thread you're agreeing with someone saying let's stop berating everyone involved with t'club. then in the next breath are furiously typing away post after post berating demps. :oops:
he's had plenty to deal with in his 10 games in charge what with cloggers like preston getting sent off every other game, injuries, clots like mellis n that other pillock smashing the town up. (no doubt in your mind that's all down to jd)

so my question to you again is if he does turn it round (yes i'm still in atm) will you get behind him or as i suspect hover over your keyboard waiting for us to lose so you can type i told you so.

there are no guarantees that if an established gaffer comes in injuries won't happen, preston won't try to break someones leg every week or get offered a job in china. and if they're available in general the reason they are is they've been tosh at their previous club
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:18 am

Spiritater wrote:that's not the answer to the question posed by me though is it chris?

for me if he doesn't then we'll see what jr does, we'll be no worse off than the majority of our lowly existence through history.

makes me laugh on another thread you're agreeing with someone saying let's stop berating everyone involved with t'club. then in the next breath are furiously typing away post after post berating demps. :oops:
he's had plenty to deal with in his 10 games in charge what with cloggers like preston getting sent off every other game, injuries, clots like mellis n that other pillock smashing the town up. (no doubt in your mind that's all down to jd)

so my question to you again is if he does turn it round (yes i'm still in atm) will you get behind him or as i suspect hover over your keyboard waiting for us to lose so you can type i told you so.

there are no guarantees that if an established gaffer comes in injuries won't happen, preston won't try to break someones leg every week or get offered a job in china. and if they're available in general the reason they are is they've been tosh at their previous club

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :good_post: :good_post: :good_post: :good_post:
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:38 am

Spiritater wrote:that's not the answer to the question posed by me though is it chris?

The other thread was about berating Pearce if you read properly. I simply hold an opinion that he won't turn it round and as I've posted before fail to see on what your opinion that he will is based or how he's going to do it.

If he does I will readily say I'm wrong and congratulate him. My response was what will you do if I and many others are proven correct.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Spiritater » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:59 am

Chrisuknottm wrote:

The other thread was about berating Pearce if you read properly. I simply hold an opinion that he won't turn it round and as I've posted before fail to see on what your opinion that he will is based or how he's going to do it.

If he does I will readily say I'm wrong and congratulate him. My response was what will you do if I and many others are proven correct.

it was, but you agree with the poster saying,' stop getting on at everyone associated with club' etc.

as you'll notice you'll see i've answered your point with the jr bit. other than that i'll cry a lot, say you were right and get very, very drunk :lol:
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:12 pm

We need 2 back to back wins as a minimum to get within touching distance if other results go our way

Will be a struggle but will take 4 from next 2 games and be happy with that.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:38 pm

tillydog123 wrote:We need 2 back to back wins as a minimum to get within touching distance if other results go our way

You do realise it’s only September don’t you?! Exeter were in the relegation places at Christmas a few years ago & got to the play offs. I wish people would stop overreacting it’s embarrassing.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:50 pm

Want top 3
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:07 pm

Dan wrote:
tillydog123 wrote:We need 2 back to back wins as a minimum to get within touching distance if other results go our way

You do realise it’s only September don’t you?! Exeter were in the relegation places at Christmas a few years ago & got to the play offs. I wish people would stop overreacting it’s embarrassing.

Yeah, or the flip side is 95% of teams that are in the bottom third of the league and drop 10 points behind the top 7 after 12 games (could be the case unless we win both) don’t make the playoffs.

It’s a fact that we need to start making up ground, we can’t keep letting this poor form run on weeks on end thinking ‘oh we’ve got plenty of time’. Momentum is everything, and ours needs to change sooner rather than later.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby NorthLondonStag » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:42 pm

There are exceptions (which people often rightly bring out) but on a separate thread about three points meaning exactly the same thing whenever you get them, I set out the tables for each league at Christmas and the end of the year. Almost all of the auto promotion spots are take by teams in the top 5, at Christmas.

Playoffs is slightly different as clearly that is top 7 but it sounds right to me that at least 80 per cent, if not more, of team in the play offs were in the top half at Christmas.

And yes I know Exeter had a good run and also we won all those games on the bounce to win the conference but those are exceptions and not happening for the most part.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby BH_Stag » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:55 pm

NorthLondonStag wrote:There are exceptions (which people often rightly bring out) but on a separate thread about three points meaning exactly the same thing whenever you get them, I set out the tables for each league at Christmas and the end of the year. Almost all of the auto promotion spots are take by teams in the top 5, at Christmas.

Playoffs is slightly different as clearly that is top 7 but it sounds right to me that at least 80 per cent, if not more, of team in the play offs were in the top half at Christmas.

And yes I know Exeter had a good run and also we won all those games on the bounce to win the conference but those are exceptions and not happening for the most part.

Exactly. You can’t just depend on having a ridiculous run later on in the season just because it’s been done in the past, they’re anomalies. That kind of mentality can lead to seasons just passing you by. Let’s not forget our aims for this season are top 3 as well, and that was reaffirmed to us before the Cambridge game. We are already 10 points behind that -if we want to be serious contenders realistically you can’t be letting that gap get any bigger.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:22 pm

Just to add to my posts above.. I’ve just had a look at the league table after match day 10 (where we are now) for each of the last 10 seasons then got bored because the trend was clear...

Not one team who has been automatically promoted in the past 10 years from League 2 has been 10 points behind the top 3 after 10 games.

Pretty much confirms we’ve managed to get ourselves in to a position that gives us an almost unprecedented task in trying to achieve our primary goal of automatic promotion. I’m not saying it’s impossible, but it’s going to be very tough and id say we really can’t afford for that gap to get any bigger, no matter how long is left in the season.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:56 pm

BH_Stag wrote:Just to add to my posts above.. I’ve just had a look at the league table after match day 10 (where we are now) for each of the last 10 seasons then got bored because the trend was clear...

Not one team who has been automatically promoted in the past 10 years from League 2 has been 10 points behind the top 3 after 10 games.

Pretty much confirms we’ve managed to get ourselves in to a position that gives us an almost unprecedented task in trying to achieve our primary goal of automatic promotion. I’m not saying it’s impossible, but it’s going to be very tough and id say we really can’t afford for that gap to get any bigger, no matter how long is left in the season.

Nice to see some actual detail that shows that fans who can’t see Dempster getting us close to promotion contention aren’t overreacting. Banking on us being a statistical anomaly is clutching at straws.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:19 pm

Cleveland_Stag wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:Just to add to my posts above.. I’ve just had a look at the league table after match day 10 (where we are now) for each of the last 10 seasons then got bored because the trend was clear...

Nice to see some actual detail that shows that fans who can’t see Dempster getting us close to promotion contention aren’t overreacting. Banking on us being a statistical anomaly is clutching at straws.

Really. I'll give you some stats shall I? On the 29th September 2018, MK Dons were ELEVENTH, Bury were TWELFTH & Tranmere were THIRTEENTH. ALL THREE GOT PROMOTED.

So the last few posts have been blown out of the water, especially the post about none being promoted while being so far behind the leaders.

So how about getting behind the team you claim to support?! THE LEAGUE ISN'T WON OR LOST IN SEPTEMBER fgs. :evil: :oops:
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby tuopolfpilf » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:46 pm

Would anything less than 6pts be acceptable?
tuopolfpilf
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:57 pm

Dan wrote:
Cleveland_Stag wrote:

Really. I'll give you some stats shall I? On the 29th September 2018, MK Dons were ELEVENTH, Bury were TWELFTH & Tranmere were THIRTEENTH. ALL THREE GOT PROMOTED.

So the last few posts have been blown out of the water, especially the post about none being promoted while being so far behind the leaders.

So how about getting behind the team you claim to support?! THE LEAGUE ISN'T WON OR LOST IN SEPTEMBER fgs. :evil: :oops:

After ten games Dan, Bury were 8th, MK Dons 13th and Tranmere 16th, so a better point to back up your argument.

However, Bury were 4pts, MK Dons 5pts and Tranmere 6pts off 3rd. We are currently 10pts.

Bury were 5 goals, MK and Tranmere 7 goals off the goal difference. We are currently 13 goals behind.

I've had a quick look through and I can't see at any stage after this amount of games that MK Dons or Bury were 10pts off 3rd. Bury at 8pts off appears to be the maximum, that was after 13 games.

I think he's got two games left. and he probably needs two wins, although I suspect the board will be happy with four points.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby NorthLondonStag » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:03 pm

Dan wrote:
Cleveland_Stag wrote:

Dan. If perhaps you are referring to my post (a few up) then please re-read. I did this from memory but my post is about the position at Christmas. The problem with Stagsnet forum is people make generalisations without precisely reading what people have written.

As it happens I support JD. I haven’t called for him to be sacked. I merely stated a statistical fact - the position at
Christmas is a pretty good predictor of the final position. Not an opinion but a statistical fact.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby BH_Stag » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:18 am

Dan wrote:
Cleveland_Stag wrote:

Dan, my post isn’t about league positions, it’s about the gap to the automatics that they had to close which is a better indicator of the job we have, and the point is no automatically promoted team from league 2 (in the last 10 years anyway) has found themselves 10 points behind after 10 games. You seem to think that just because it’s September the gap we already have to close is irrelevant, I’m just pointing out that it’s not, and we already face a tough task without the prospect of dropping any more points behind. Just for clarity, this is about our main objective of automatic promotion, and the playoffs would be a different story.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:40 am

BH_Stag wrote:
Dan wrote:
Cleveland_Stag wrote:

Dan, my post isn’t about league positions, it’s about the gap to the automatics that they had to close which is a better indicator of the job we have, and the point is no automatically promoted team from league 2 (in the last 10 years anyway) has found themselves 10 points behind after 10 games. You seem to think that just because it’s September the gap we already have to close is irrelevant, I’m just pointing out that it’s not, and we already face a tough task without the prospect of dropping any more points behind. Just for clarity, this is about our main objective of automatic promotion, and the playoffs would be a different story.

In addition, after 10 games played last season, Bury and MK Dons were only below the playoffs on goal difference and by 1 point, and below 3rd place by 4 and 5 points. They had a much smaller gap to close than the 7 points to 7th place and the 10 point gap between us and 3rd place that we currently face.

Essentially, to finish top 3 (our objective), from tomorrow’s game to the end of the season we need to have the form of champions. In my opinion, we don’t have that in us at all, especially under Dempster’s stewardship and the for the most part dross football that we’ve played under him.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:47 am

We can debate all the equations required to push for promotion, however at the moment I would just take a couple of bloody wins on the bounce!!! Starting this weekend. Imo we’ve already blown the top 3 so if we somehow turn it around and go up, JD would’ve worked miracles.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Gruff » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:49 am

Support the team.
Support the manager.

Tension on the terraces causes tension on the pitch. We're performing better away from home because there's less vocal animosity towards the team and management.

This isn't about happy-clapping, it's about encouragement and desire, not the feeling that we are owed success.

Now, quit yet jibber-jabbering
Gruff
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:18 am

Gruff wrote:Support the team.
Support the manager.

Tension on the terraces causes tension on the pitch. We're performing better away from home because there's less vocal animosity towards the team and management.

This isn't about happy-clapping, it's about encouragement and desire, not the feeling that we are owed success.

We’ve picked up 1 point from our last 3 away games.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:28 am

We've got exactly the same points at home as we have away.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:52 am

Cleveland_Stag wrote:
Gruff wrote:Support the team.
Support the manager.

We’ve picked up 1 point from our last 3 away games.

Performing is the word I picked out of this.... We are performing better, just not necessarily getting the results.
Last edited by PEAR CIDER on Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum