{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Port Vale scorefred sponsored by last chance saloon

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Port Vale scorefred sponsored by last chance saloon

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:15 am

geoffhill wrote:Where was Mellis? Didn't see him warming up with the other subs during the game.In fact I don't remember seeing him before the game.Have I missed something?

I get the feeling he's on of those alluded to in last weeks press conference, not buying into what JD is trying to do
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:27 am

geoffhill wrote:Where was Mellis? Didn't see him warming up with the other subs during the game.In fact I don't remember seeing him before the game.Have I missed something?

Mellis was warming before the game, as normal for a sub.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:47 am

He didn’t warm up during the game.

It was a weird game because I was sat thinking that I wouldn’t really be looking to bring any subs on because nothing needed changing and nobody was playing particularly badly. Khan was probably the obvious one but he didn’t play badly.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:55 am

MTFCMusings wrote:He didn’t warm up during the game.

It was a weird game because I was sat thinking that I wouldn’t really be looking to bring any subs on because nothing needed changing and nobody was playing particularly badly. Khan was probably the obvious one but he didn’t play badly.

Khan was still buzzing about fit as a flea, we thought Shaugnessy was treading treacle and should of come off???
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:56 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:

I get the feeling he's on of those alluded to in last weeks press conference, not buying into what JD is trying to do

Seems like Mellis is one who would benefit most from a good long chat with DB.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:29 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:It was a weird game because I was sat thinking that I wouldn’t really be looking to bring any subs on because nothing needed changing and nobody was playing particularly badly. Khan was probably the obvious one but he didn’t play badly.

I agree Sam. I was surprised JD changed it in the 86th minute and brought Alex MacDonald on for Otis Khan. I have never been a fan of late substitutions. It's very hard for a sub to get up to speed with the game.

On another point, Alex MacDonald seemed to be having words with the 4th official during the game when he was warming up. Whenever he went out to warm up the 4th official was watching him very closely.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:40 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:It was a weird game because I was sat thinking that I wouldn’t really be looking to bring any subs on because nothing needed changing and nobody was playing particularly badly. Khan was probably the obvious one but he didn’t play badly.

I agree Sam. I was surprised JD changed it in the 86th minute and brought Alex MacDonald on for Otis Khan. I have never been a fan of late substitutions. It's very hard for a sub to get up to speed with the game.

On another point, Alex MacDonald seemed to be having words with the 4th official during the game when he was warming up. Whenever he went out to warm up the 4th official was watching him very closely.

I'm ready for the pelters but don't we look a better footballing side without him in the CM
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:49 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:

I'm ready for the pelters but don't we look a better footballing side without him in the CM

He’s overrated mate just an average league two player.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby bigalstag » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:54 pm

Still better than anybody else we've got.
bigalstag
First Team
First Team

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:56 pm

bigalstag wrote:Still better than anybody else we've got.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops:
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:57 pm

MTFCMAD wrote:
Woodclanger 1 wrote:

That average he played around 70 games for Oxford in league one :roll:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:02 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
MTFCMAD wrote:
Woodclanger 1 wrote:

That average he played around 70 games for Oxford in league one :roll:

Since 2011 he’s played half a season in league one. That’s around 20ish games and was let go by a league one team on a free halfway through a season.

Maybe do some research next time :roll:
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Hjeldefan » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:03 pm

Macca is never a centre mid in a million years, we look miles better with him out of the team.
Hjeldefan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:46 pm

'Mansfield outplayed us but were embarrassing at times' - Port Vale fans

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/f ... ws-3346559
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby AlanStag » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:38 pm

Defending cost us in the final 3 games last season and it's costing us so far this season. I think JD made a massive error not bringing Jake Wright in as well as Shaughnessy, we're crying out for a leader at the back. That's no disrespect to Pearce who is a brilliant player for this level but when the chips are down this defence doesn't seem to have in them to grind a clean sheet out.

We're missing someone like a Luke Jones who will kick and head everything. Unfortunately now the windows closed Demps has made his bed and is lying in it.
AlanStag
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:44 pm

AlanStag wrote:Defending cost us in the final 3 games last season and it's costing us so far this season. I think JD made a massive error not bringing Jake Wright in as well as Shaughnessy, we're crying out for a leader at the back. That's no disrespect to Pearce who is a brilliant player for this level but when the chips are down this defence doesn't seem to have in them to grind a clean sheet out.

We're missing someone like a Luke Jones who will kick and head everything. Unfortunately now the windows closed Demps has made his bed and is lying in it.

Who is jake wright
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby AlanStag » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:51 pm

spanishstag wrote:
AlanStag wrote:Defending cost us in the final 3 games last season and it's costing us so far this season. I think JD made a massive error not bringing Jake Wright in as well as Shaughnessy, we're crying out for a leader at the back. That's no disrespect to Pearce who is a brilliant player for this level but when the chips are down this defence doesn't seem to have in them to grind a clean sheet out.

Who is jake wright

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jake_Wright

Rumour was a deal was all but done before the Exeter game but we stalled, deadline day rolled around on Monday and Bolton swooped in. Captained Oxford out of this league and was part of the Sheff U side promoted from league 1, it's an absolute no brainer for me.

At the minute Pearce and Sweeney know they are playing no matter what. We've not exactly got many options to shift it around at the back.
AlanStag
Manager
Manager

Postby bigalstag » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:17 pm

Funny that. They could keep a clean sheet last season. Wonder what's changed?
bigalstag
First Team
First Team

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:30 pm

bigalstag wrote:Funny that. They could keep a clean sheet last season. Wonder what's changed?

They only kept four in the last fifteen league games last year so maybe they weren't that impressive in the end. It would appear that not a lot has changed since February.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:23 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
bigalstag wrote:Funny that. They could keep a clean sheet last season. Wonder what's changed?

They only kept four in the last fifteen league games last year so maybe they weren't that impressive in the end. It would appear that not a lot has changed since February.

Wasn't the defence ever changing though? I'm sure Preston had concussion on more than one occasion, Sweeney too I think. Plus there was a game or 2 suspension for amassing yellow cards.

What with our discipline going out the window and having more injuries so far that the whole of last season combined (I made that last one up, but it sure feels like it could be true) we would appear to need to get a back 3/5 settled 1st before we even start thinking about clean sheets.

Maybe we aren't getting clean sheets because the sheet cleaner has also been sacked? ;)
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:12 am

Frustrating game this, we actually played well and played some decent football. I liked the front 3 of Khan Rose Hamilton.

Need to be better from set pieces, absolute basics.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby DE STAG » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:21 am

Me and my son really enjoyed our away day on Saturday. A good performance and something to build on. Also a good, positive atmosphere created by the supporters. Just one sour note, a bloke sat behind us constantly picking Logan out for unfounded criticism, little did he know Conrad’s Mum, Dad and other family members were sat within earshot... I felt embarrassed for the fool.
DE STAG
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Amberheart » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:58 pm

Hjeldefan wrote:Macca is never a centre mid in a million years, we look miles better with him out of the team.

Agreed
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:25 am

21/09/19: Port Vale 2 Mansfield Town 2 (HT: 1-1)
Attendance: 5,109 (682 from Mansfield)
xG: Port Vale 1.4 Mansfield Town 1.8

This was a very good performance by the Stags at Vale Park and we deserved to win the game. It was much better than last season and arguably a better overall performance than when Steve Evans' side won 4-0 here two seasons ago. The difference between winning and losing was that the Stags did not take their chances from set pieces. Conor Shaughnessy and Danny Rose both headed wide from well taken set pieces from Mal Benning in the 1st half whilst Port Vale equalised from a corner with virtually the last kick of the game.

Set pieces are so vital in lower league football and most promotion sides will score vital goals from them particularly in close games. Luke Jones, at centre half scored 8 goals when we won the National League. I think the Stags have taken 48 corners in the League to date and not scored from one of them.

The xGs for the last two away games of 1.9 and 1.8 beat and equal our best scores away from home from last season so to only pick up one point from Crawley and Port Vale is disappointing. We only won 6 games away last season but if we carry on playing like this we could easily beat that target. A little bit of improvement in both boxes should see us move up the table.

Man of the Match was Kellan Gordon. (Port Vale: Leon Legge)

Kellan Gordon 8 (Defended a lot better than recent games and got forward well and scored following up the rebound from CJ Hamilton's shot. He should have let the ball go out for a goal kick at the end though.)
Mal Benning 7.5 (Got forward really well in the 1st half. Lost possession prior to Port Vale's first goal.)
Danny Rose 7.5 (Got battered up front but was always a menace. Did not win as many high balls as normal. Well marked by Nathan Smith and Leon Legge. Won the penalty well and scored it. Should have scored from header from Benning's free kick.)
CJ Hamilton 7.5 (His pace was a threat throughout the game. Created first goal with his shot. Got into some great positions but did not make the best of them. With a little more composure could have scored or created more chances. End product needs to improve.)
Hayden White 7.5 (Good to see him back. Brought the ball out of the defence well in the 2nd half. Passes the ball better than Preston and Sweeney. Went to ground too easily for Port Vale's first goal.)
Neal Bishop 7.5 (Getting back to his best. Some great shithousery in the 2nd half which had the Vale fans foaming at the mouth. Grimsby fans say he is the best ref in League 2.)
Krystian Pearce 7 (Made a couple of out of character mistakes in the 1st half. Did not block Gibbons' ball to Pope for first goal. Great run out of defence to set up Danny Rose to win the penalty.)
Conor Shaughnessy 7 (Great ball to set up CJ Hamilton for 1st goal but lost Mark Cullen at far post for Vale's equaliser. Should have scored from header from Benning's corner.)
Conrad Logan 7 (Made two great saves but should have punched the corner away for injury time equaliser.)
Ryan Sweeney 7 (Good game in defence but should have headed the corner away for injury time equaliser.)
Otis Khan 6.5 (Worked hard did not have big impact on game. Weak shots when in good positions.)
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:14 pm

Little mention of how many players Port Vale had unavailable for the game?
Conker
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum