{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Port Vale scorefred sponsored by last chance saloon

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Port Vale scorefred sponsored by last chance saloon

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:17 pm

How can he get a strong hand to it with so many players in his 6 yard box? Like I said not 100% his fault.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:19 pm

I was there.Gordons fault as the ball was going out for a goal kick.In fact I think the ball actually crossed the line but Gordon instead of shielding the ball out decided to kick it as hard as he could to waste a bit more time.The ref gave a corner.You can see what happened next.Apart from that glaring error Gordon had a good game.All the team played well and we should have had all 3 points.Plymouth next then Grimsby.Hoping for 4 points at least.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:57 pm

I don't see that as Logan's fault. The ball bounces off our players chest in the build up.

Logan had 10 men in his way.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:02 pm

I don’t know what clip some of you are watching. There is one person in his way for the initial delivery. That’s what I’m talking about, the initial cross.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby gavinbrookes » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:02 pm

I didn't go today but it sounds like an improved performance. If we'd have been the ones scoring the last minute equaliser we'd probably all be more positive now. I guess we have to take this result and perforomance in context; if the improvement carries over into the next couple of games and translates into victories then we might have turned a corner...

As I said on a separate thread, the appointment of Broughton looks like confirmation that the board are sticking with JD, whether we think that's right or not, so we have to get behind him. I really hope he can make it work but have to admit I am far from convinced that he will.

P.s. I would probably feel more positive about Dempster if he showed a bit more passion and energy in his post-match interviews.
gavinbrookes
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby CassellsCap » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:06 pm

geoffhill wrote:I was there.Gordons fault as the ball was going out for a goal kick.In fact I think the ball actually crossed the line but Gordon instead of shielding the ball out decided to kick it as hard as he could to waste a bit more time.The ref gave a corner.You can see what happened next.Apart from that glaring error Gordon had a good game.All the team played well and we should have had all 3 points.Plymouth next then Grimsby.Hoping for 4 points at least.

Spot on , I was sat just yards away and it looked out so no need to boot it. But that apart he played very well.
CassellsCap
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:27 pm

Whatever happened to the goal keeper coming out, claiming the ball and making the six yard box his own. In other words if you didn’t get out the way the keeper flattened you as he won it, claimed it or punched well clear?
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:11 pm

I’ve only seen it live so far but feeling conflicted.
The corner decision was wrong, it went out of play from their player then Gordon booted it away to waste time. Ref gave a corner.

From there we didn’t really defend it. Only blame I can give Conrad is that he came and didn’t get it, the reason is that our players blocked him off. If they are going to do that then they have to clear, they had opportunities but didn’t . So who do you blame?

Prior to that I felt we were well on top and it’s really disappointing. They had about 3 chances and scored 2, we should win it but we’ve conceded late goals in both halves. Very much somettti work on.
Jimstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:27 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:so bloody close to 3pts today

Conrad man ya drive me nuts

sorry yorkie the box was so loaded for the corner he was unable too do much. see you've not laid any blame at gordon's door though as ball was going for a gk b4 he kicked it.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:00 am

Comment from Facebook by a Vale fan after Askey complained about Danny Rose's dive for a penalty:

"It was a stonewall penalty and had it been at the other end we'd have been screaming for it. Rose knocks the ball past Legge and is then impeded. Granted he doesn't make a great deal of effort to try and go round him or to stay on his feet, but thats not his job. Penalty all day long. We were poor today and were lucky to get the point."

Other comments on the game from the One Vale forum:

"Are the Vale players wearing masks and stripey jumpers - they nicked a point off the better team today."

"Vale got away with one there, we were not at the races today. They were stronger, faster and appeared to have more skill than us."

"They had a better team out there today than we do, despite their poor start, and will finish higher in the league than we will. They are still one of the better sides in League Two"

"We were at home, they have not been playing well and you would have expected their confidence would have been low. According to the papers they have been finding scoring hard to do. However, they came at Vale and played very well, showing they wanted the ball more and they are better than their current position shows. We nicked a point today. Their fans will feel gutted they did not get 3 points today."

"Robbed a point today against the better team. In the cold light of day tomorrow it will be a good point earned by an injury savaged team against a team who have some very good players."

"Talk about get out of jail! Had us down to lose this one so I’m more than happy with a point. Mansfield, on paper, looked way too strong, but I thought we battled away against a technically better team who ended up being outdone by their own time wasting tactics. The ref was toss and they played him like a fiddle. Isn’t kicking the ball away a bookable offence any more?? Mansfield didn’t look great at the back but we didn’t have enough of a threat from the flanks to profit."

"Mansfield were one of the scummiest sides I’ve seen for a while. That No 6 Bishop was doing his very best to get Vale players booked with his dramatic falling about. They spent the whole game taking advantage of the inexperience of yet another new ref who was conned by them all the time, particularly with the penalty. Delighted that we scored in the time added on for their time wasting!!"

"I've seen other sides with Bishop in act exactly the same - I reckon he's a massive influencing factor for it. He was the same with Scunthorpe. He seems to revel in acting the pantomime villain - gesticulating to opposition fans, arguing and pointing at opposition players (Gibbons today). I bet he does it every game that he plays. If so, I'm amazed that he's not been chinned by either an opposition player or supporter. Funniest thing today was him making gestures and gobbing off at his own team-mates when Smith's equaliser went in. An utter tvvat of a player!"
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:04 am

CassellsCap wrote:
geoffhill wrote:I was there.Gordons fault as the ball was going out for a goal kick.In fact I think the ball actually crossed the line but Gordon instead of shielding the ball out decided to kick it as hard as he could to waste a bit more time.The ref gave a corner.You can see what happened next.Apart from that glaring error Gordon had a good game.All the team played well and we should have had all 3 points.Plymouth next then Grimsby.Hoping for 4 points at least.

Spot on , I was sat just yards away and it looked out so no need to boot it. But that apart he played very well.

Surely if the ball was already out when Gordon kicked it away but the ref gave a corner, he can't be at fault for an incorrect call by the ref?
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Bros » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:01 am

When was the last time we scored in the last minute to draw or win a game
Nunc est bibendum
Bros
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:15 am

Bros wrote:When was the last time we scored in the last minute to draw or win a game

Crawley at home in Jan was 88th min.

Otherwise November 18 at Lincoln.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:34 am

Sneag wrote:
CassellsCap wrote:

Surely if the ball was already out when Gordon kicked it away but the ref gave a corner, he can't be at fault for an incorrect call by the ref?

to me sat right behind it it didn't appear to have fully crossed the line when kell smashed it. there was no need, it was going for a gk. it's little moment like this we'll look back on in may and think :cry: 'if only'
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby wardy12345 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:47 am

Just watched the highlights for the first goal both centre backs dithered and didn’t close the ball down

Second goal the cross in was uncontested, no one commanded the box and took responsibility for the ball.

We need a defensive coach.
wardy12345
First Team
First Team

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:48 am

Spiritater wrote:to me sat right behind it it didn't appear to have fully crossed the line when kell smashed it. there was no need, it was going for a gk. it's little moment like this we'll look back on in may and think :cry: 'if only'

That's 3 points dropped this season from injury time goals for the opposition.

It certainly looked like Kellan Gordon just had to leave it to go out for a goal kick. It was a shame as he played well yesterday and his defending was a lot better than the last two games.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:10 am

wardy12345 wrote:Just watched the highlights for the first goal both centre backs dithered and didn’t close the ball down.

You could put the blame on a few defenders for the first goal although it was well worked by Port Vale. Mal Benning loses the ball, Krystian Pearce and Ryan Sweeney both close down Gibbons but fail to block his pass to Tom Pope, Hayden White goes to ground too easily and Conor Shaugnessy loses Mark Cullen at the far post.

With the second goal then either Ryan Sweeney has to head it away or Conrad Logan punches it away.
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:21 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:
wardy12345 wrote:Just watched the highlights for the first goal both centre backs dithered and didn’t close the ball down.

You could put the blame on a few defenders for the first goal although it was well worked by Port Vale. Mal Benning loses the ball, Krystian Pearce and Ryan Sweeney both close down Gibbons but fail to block his pass to Tom Pope, Hayden White goes to ground too easily and Conor O'Shaugnessy loses Mark Cullen at the far post.

With the second goal then either Ryan Sweeney has to head it away or Conrad Logan punches it away.

Otherwise, we played well?
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:25 am

MTFCMusings wrote:I don’t know what clip some of you are watching. There is one person in his way for the initial delivery. That’s what I’m talking about, the initial cross.

Just watched it again and it was like one of our corners last season. A slow floated ball in too close the GK that opposition GKs gobbled up and it left you fuming.

Our GK should have gobbled it up, Sweeney is the only one in front and as you say climb all over him if need be, it was limp wristed keeping at its worst, how some can still make excuses for him is quite unbelievable.
Last edited by Parkinsons Perm on Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:35 am

If 1 player is in the way, he's still in the way. Yes we've floated balls similar to that that keepers have gathered easily. The difference is they don't swamp the 6 yard box with defenders, we do. That's the difference. This everybody back tactic has been mentioned many times previously, it's said that you've more chance of getting in each others way than dealing with the cross, as evident by their last goal.

Really the blame lies with whoever chose to flood the 6 yard box with players. Either the manager/assistant, the captain or the GK and even then its shared blame.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby julianshatnasty » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:38 am

Just a reminder, we're a league two side and have been for the best part of 90 years. What are people actually expecting?

It's easy paying your 25 quid 15 times a year but what do you really think is gonna happen.

Radford clearly wants promotion and is investing and doing his best to get us there, constantly moaning to sack the manager just causes resentment, disharmony and these neverending, tedious, name-calling arguments.

It's not a democracy, he's the man with the money and he's doing his best to achieve what we all want. JD is undoubtedly a cheaper option than a name and on that basis I can't see him wanting to pay him off and then have to get a wholesale team in.

We're not entitled to anything, regardless of budgets or talent in the squad, it's League two for god sake, ultimately it's inconsistent and 75% rubbish that every team churns out.

I'm not saying sack JD cos I think it's a repetitive, expensive and ultimately disappointing way to run a football club. That said, if he went then we start again and half the fanbase will like the appointment and half will moan cos that's what happens.

Just stop bleeding arguing as if only your opinion is right and everyone else must be a dipshit. If anyone is personally riled by this then it's probably about you so just suck it up, let it go, and do some DIY or go boating or take the kids to the park and remember that just cos no one thinks that your opinion is as important as you do, there are maybe more important things than trying to be the king of a football forum.
julianshatnasty
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:41 am

gazza1988 wrote:If 1 player is in the way, he's still in the way. Yes we've floated balls similar to that that keepers have gathered easily. The difference is they don't swamp the 6 yard box with defenders, we do. That's the difference. This everybody back tactic has been mentioned many times previously, it's said that you've more chance of getting in each others way than dealing with the cross, as evident by their last goal.

Really the blame lies with whoever chose to flood the 6 yard box with players. Either the manager/assistant, the captain or the GK and even then its shared blame.

Jesus h Christ, get off that football manager.

Yes, the box was packed but he basically chipped it straight to Logan, push Sweeney out the way, jump on his back, do owt to get the ball and take the pressure of your team when needed. It was just like Colchester last season, weak keeping!!!!!!!!!
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:54 am

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:If 1 player is in the way, he's still in the way. Yes we've floated balls similar to that that keepers have gathered easily. The difference is they don't swamp the 6 yard box with defenders, we do. That's the difference. This everybody back tactic has been mentioned many times previously, it's said that you've more chance of getting in each others way than dealing with the cross, as evident by their last goal.

Yes, the box was packed but he basically chipped it straight to Logan, push Sweeney out the way, jump on his back, do owt to get the ball and take the pressure of your team when needed. It was just like Colchester last season, weak keeping!!!!!!!!!

Weak defending! There were opportunities for all of them to clear it and they did nothing, that includes the keeper but, true to form, it's all 100% the keepers fault. Not the defender who put it out for a corner (whether it should have been or not is irrelevant). Not the defenders who flooded the 6 yard box. Not the defenders the ball passed in front of to get to Smith. No, its the keeper with 2 players pretty much on his toes as the ball comes in.

At the end of the day it was a calamity of errors. We've gone from doing it regularly in open play early in the season to now only doing it in added time, stamp that put and we will be away. Whether it is stamped out is another matter.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:46 am

gazza1988 wrote:
Woodclanger 1 wrote:

Weak defending! There were opportunities for all of them to clear it and they did nothing, that includes the keeper but, true to form, it's all 100% the keepers fault. Not the defender who put it out for a corner (whether it should have been or not is irrelevant). Not the defenders who flooded the 6 yard box. Not the defenders the ball passed in front of to get to Smith. No, its the keeper with 2 players pretty much on his toes as the ball comes in.

At the end of the day it was a calamity of errors. We've gone from doing it regularly in open play early in the season to now only doing it in added time, stamp that put and we will be away. Whether it is stamped out is another matter.

Sh1tt happens
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:13 am

Where was Mellis? Didn't see him warming up with the other subs during the game.In fact I don't remember seeing him before the game.Have I missed something?
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum