{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

CJ Hamilton

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

CJ Hamilton

Postby spstag » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:33 am

I like the guy .. yes he can now n then produce something special to get a goal.. but tell me when was the last time?
It was Exeter away perhaps some 20 games away,
I can’t for the life of me see why he starts every game (or most)
He’s powder puff and doesn’t look interested, it’s a waste of an attacking shirt,

FGS we’ve got Khan or OSJ or even Afolayen who must be frustrated to hell watching this.
We are throwing away this season and it’s down to bad choices,
Start with osj and Khan at home at least.
If I don’t see big changes on the team sheet Tuesday it’ll tell me things aren’t right.
spstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: CJ Hamilton

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:45 am

Do we really have to keep discussing the same bleeding topic week in week out? One week CJ will have a good game and will be the best ever thing to come from Mansfield, then he'll have a poor game and he's back in the firing line. :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:09 am

I don't usually join in on CJ debates.

Why, because he's been hung out to dry by DF and now JD as their system just doesn't suit him.
He's a nice lad and professional so does as he's asked, probably with a heavy heart but doesn't complain ala Anderson.
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby spstag » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:16 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:Do we really have to keep discussing the same bleeding topic week in week out? One week CJ will have a good game and will be the best ever thing to come from Mansfield, then he'll have a poor game and he's back in the firing line. :lol:

Yes we do... it’s not happening for him and as I’ve said I like him,
He’s out of form ..looks frightened to take someone on nowadays and generally in affective,

Use him as a sub if needs be but in my opinion he’s lost form and we have hungry players waiting.
spstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:23 am

spstag wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:Do we really have to keep discussing the same bleeding topic week in week out? One week CJ will have a good game and will be the best ever thing to come from Mansfield, then he'll have a poor game and he's back in the firing line. :lol:

He’s out of form ..looks frightened to take someone on nowadays and generally in affective,

Use him as a sub if needs be but in my opinion he’s lost form and we have hungry players waiting.

Benning hasn't been much better this season, largely inconsistent and we don't have anyone else who can naturally play on the left when we play 3 at the back.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby FarnieStag » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:28 am

Why do managers try to make such a simple game so complicated? Just play 4 at the back with two wingers, with left footed CJ on the left wing
This 3 at the back (which we all know is really 5 or 6) is just so misguided when using div 4 players
FarnieStag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby spstag » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:30 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:
spstag wrote:

Benning hasn't been much better this season, largely inconsistent and we don't have anyone else who can naturally play on the left when we play 3 at the back.

Khan can play with both feet, definitely quick enough and clever enough
spstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby FarnieStag » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:31 am

Not starting every match with Khan is criminal
FarnieStag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:38 am

Woodclanger 1 wrote:I don't usually join in on CJ debates.

Why, because he's been hung out to dry by DF and now JD as their system just doesn't suit him.
He's a nice lad and professional so does as he's asked, probably with a heavy heart but doesn't complain ala Anderson.

Hung out to dry :lol:

He was being touted as going to the championship 9 months ago. He was our 2nd top scorer. Just yesterday he went on a run down the left and cut inside to shoot and the keeper had to dive to push it away.

He has been somewhat out of sorts.

Answer me this, when Murray and Evans played him left wing, how many "trees" did he pull up?

He's come on leaps and bounds under Flitcroft improved his defensive game and is a more "complete" winger. When I say that I mean compare to when he was signed. Hes also improved his versatility. I have noticed that our wing backs are a little further up compared to last season. At times we see Shaughnessy drop back into defence and preston/sweeney fill in at full back.

Sometimes it just clicks and we show what we can do (Carlisle away) and other times it just didn't work and nobody seemed to know what to do (Exeter away)

The more we can keep a settled side (now we seem to have stopped collecting red cards) the more I expect us to do well.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:40 am

FarnieStag wrote:Not starting every match with Khan is criminal

We have the players to come in that could help us play some really nice football. Mellis and Maynard must be desperate for Khan/OSJ to get a start with them to link up play, but yesterday we go with Macca behind the strikers and he was anonymous first half in that role. Whilst Rose is on the pitch though we tend to completely bypass the midfield which is probably why they don’t come on until we’re desperate for a goal.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:40 am

gazza1988 wrote:

He was being touted as going to the championship 9 months ago. He was our 2nd top scorer. Just yesterday he went on a run down the left and cut inside to shoot and the keeper had to dive to push it away.

Answer me this, when Murray and Evans played him left wing, how many "trees" did he pull up?

He's come on leaps and bounds under Flitcroft improved his defensive game and is a more "complete" winger. When I say that I mean compare to when he was signed. Hes also improved his versatility. I have noticed that our wing backs are a little further up compared to last season. At times we see Shaughnessy drop back into defence and preston/sweeney fill in at full back.

Sometimes it just clicks and we show what we can do (Carlisle away) and other times it just didn't work and nobody seemed to know what to do (Exeter away)

The more we can keep a settled side (now we seem to have stopped collecting red cards) the more I expect us to do well.

Good post, matey. I reckon Tuesday’ s game at the Wonk has taken on enormous importance.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:46 am

spstag wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
spstag wrote:

Khan can play with both feet, definitely quick enough and clever enough

In a 442 he could play on the left, but it would be murder to play him at LWB in a back three. He probably can't defend to save his life
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby spstag » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:07 am

BH_Stag wrote:
FarnieStag wrote:Not starting every match with Khan is criminal

We have the players to come in that could help us play some really nice football. Mellis and Maynard must be desperate for Khan/OSJ to get a start with them to link up play, but yesterday we go with Macca behind the strikers and he was anonymous first half in that role. Whilst Rose is on the pitch though we tend to completely bypass the midfield which is probably why they don’t come on until we’re desperate for a goal.

THIS!
spstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:11 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:

Good post, matey. I reckon Tuesday’ s game at the Wonk has taken on enormous importance.

Good post, I'm afraid it's Gazza on football manager again totally over analysing things. Obviously the game has evolved but thank God I didn't have to watch Jim McCaffrey filling in at LB, LWB, RWB and CF and you wonder why CJ doesn't build his confidence in his preferred position!!!!
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:23 pm

FarnieStag wrote:Why do managers try to make such a simple game so complicated? Just play 4 at the back with two wingers, with left footed CJ on the left wing
This 3 at the back (which we all know is really 5 or 6) is just so misguided when using div 4 players

This. It’s the simplest game in the world, and managers try and complicate it. It’s getting as complex as an NFL strategy book!!! 4-4-2 with wingers, Christ it ain’t difficult.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:41 pm

I'm sure similar was said when 2-3-5 was replaced with 4-4-2!

Are you serious in thinking that all a football managers job is to just go 4-4-2 and thats that?

Yeah I play football manager from time to time. Video analysts are paid to spot weak points and problems. It is a very analytical game. It hasn't been a "simple game" for years, if not decades.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:20 pm

It's only simple if both teams do the same thing and then its who produces best wins. I dont really care what formation we play, what matters is winning.

I just find 532 or whatever spin you put on it, is quite negative. You only ever have one wide on each side, no overlaps usually. You often have a defender with no one to mark, stood without anything to do.

Unless a team is playing 3 up front, which hardly anyone ever does. You simply shouldnt need 3 centre backs.

CJ was at his best under Evan's when he was free to cause havoc down the wing without having to be a defender at the same time. He also did well for a while under DF playing up front where his pace made his dangerous. A wing back he is not and will never be, imo.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:51 pm

I wonder what results we would have if we went 2 full backs, 3 half backs and five forwards like in the olden days.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:51 pm

Jamie wrote:It's only simple if both teams do the same thing and then its who produces best wins. I dont really care what formation we play, what matters is winning.

I just find 532 or whatever spin you put on it, is quite negative. You only ever have one wide on each side, no overlaps usually. You often have a defender with no one to mark, stood without anything to do.

Unless a team is playing 3 up front, which hardly anyone ever does. You simply shouldnt need 3 centre backs.

CJ was at his best under Evan's when he was free to cause havoc down the wing without having to be a defender at the same time. He also did well for a while under DF playing up front where his pace made his dangerous. A wing back he is not and will never be, imo.

4-4-2 can be negative too. The wingback overlap the wide central midfielder/attacking midfielder. How many times has MacDonald gone wide and got a cross in? Danny Rose's goal of the month was from a left wing cross from will tomlinson.

As I've said the left and right sided central defenders cover full back so there is protecting from counters down the flanks if caught in possession. The days of the rigid 4-4-2 are gone from the professional game. If it is used from time to time. its not used by teams gunning for promotion.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:14 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
Jamie wrote:It's only simple if both teams do the same thing and then its who produces best wins. I dont really care what formation we play, what matters is winning.

4-4-2 can be negative too. The wingback overlap the wide central midfielder/attacking midfielder. How many times has MacDonald gone wide and got a cross in? Danny Rose's goal of the month was from a left wing cross from will tomlinson.

As I've said the left and right sided central defenders cover full back so there is protecting from counters down the flanks if caught in possession. The days of the rigid 4-4-2 are gone from the professional game. If it is used from time to time. its not used by teams gunning for promotion.

It doesn't have to be rigid though if the 'shackles' are taken off, does it.

Billy Deardens young side used to pop up everywhere, usually in the box to finish another sweeping move off, the inter play and overlapping full backs was a joy to watch.
It's only rigid when a negative manager wants the midfield and full backs not to cross the half way line ala Murray
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:16 pm

By simple I mean there seems to be a thousand different formations, including triangles, diamonds, rectangles etc, when in reality there isn’t more than a handful. It’s definitely over complicated imo. You only have to see how complicated Sky or BBC make it seem, drawing circles and lines and yet it’s simpler than even that. Keeps em in a job I suppose!!! Yes times change and soon even today’s popular formations will be out thought and replaced, but it can’t change much.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Beano » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:41 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:By simple I mean there seems to be a thousand different formations, including triangles, diamonds, rectangles etc, when in reality there isn’t more than a handful. It’s definitely over complicated imo. You only have to see how complicated Sky or BBC make it seem, drawing circles and lines and yet it’s simpler than even that. Keeps em in a job I suppose!!! Yes times change and soon even today’s popular formations will be out thought and replaced, but it can’t change much.

Couldn’t agree more, listening to modern commentators reeling a list of numbers (which often don’t even add up!) in an attempt to over complicate one of the worlds most straight forward games is laughable.
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby Philip » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:52 pm

Yesterday as mentioned in Martin's match report CJ put us in trouble when playing a back pass. He found himself in this position - last man, presumably not by choice but by instruction. Yet at other times was expected to play quite differently opening their defence.

His pace and skill makes him a potent threat, he can also score goals. Expecting him to be all over the pitch filling in here there and everywhere risks wasting a serious talent.

I don't think it is fair to blame him or accuse him of being disinterested. Far too much is expected of him.
Philip
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Conker » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:52 pm

Like I said against Exeter it’s absolutely ridiculous playing him instead of playing one of it not the best LB/LWB in the division in Benning.

If you are playing traditional wingers CJ has to be out wide but upfront or WB is clearly not a good idea.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Bridgford Stag » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:21 pm

CJ is not a wing back or even a 'defender' for heavens sake. He doesn't seem/isn't comfortable playing deep.

Anyone (aka the management) asked CJ what his preferred position is?

He has talent although not progressed especially this season so far which is a tad saddening imo.

And as an aside as has been suggested in other threads push him up front on the half way line when we are defending corners.
Bridgford Stag
First Team
First Team

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum