{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Incident on Leeming Street

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Incident on Leeming Street

Postby NorthLondonStag » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:59 am

bellwhiff wrote:
NorthLondonStag wrote:Bellwhiff, earlier on you were saying we had to wait for evidence before denouncing the alleged culprits (as it happens I agree with you). You were very keen on ‘due process’ running its course.

Now you seem to be saying that Martin should have named them on a live commentary feed.

You might appreciate why I am struggling to reconcile these two approaches. Perhaps you could explain?

I’m not advocating that. I’m advocating that the subject should be not off the table. If players have been suspended then that’s a newsworthy item. I didn’t realise that the police hadn’t released the names of the arrested individuals to be honest

What’s he supposed to say then? Two players have been suspended but I am not telling you why? Not massively informative or particularly helpful, and liable to create more uninformed gossip.

And in fact you are assuming they’ve been suspended by the club. As far as I am aware there’s no statement saying that. The club has said he is unavailable and that’s what Martin said.

I suspect, as you like controversy, that if Martin had said something about those players being suspended you would be up in arms that he’s named people before the police have and that due process should be followed! Frankly, I think you just like having the argument(s).
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby oldweststander » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:03 am

Well said Edders
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:08 am

NorthLondonStag wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
NorthLondonStag wrote:Bellwhiff, earlier on you were saying we had to wait for evidence before denouncing the alleged culprits (as it happens I agree with you). You were very keen on ‘due process’ running its course.

Now you seem to be saying that Martin should have named them on a live commentary feed.

You might appreciate why I am struggling to reconcile these two approaches. Perhaps you could explain?

I’m not advocating that. I’m advocating that the subject should be not off the table. If players have been suspended then that’s a newsworthy item. I didn’t realise that the police hadn’t released the names of the arrested individuals to be honest

What’s he supposed to say then? Two players have been suspended but I am not telling you why? Not massively informative or particularly helpful, and liable to create more uninformed gossip.

And in fact you are assuming they’ve been suspended by the club. As far as I am aware there’s no statement saying that. The club has said he is unavailable and that’s what Martin said.

I suspect, as you like controversy, that if Martin had said something about those players being suspended you would be up in arms that he’s named people before the police have and that due process should be followed! Frankly, I think you just like having the argument(s).

I guess we'll find out Tuesday if they are suspended or not, if Mellis isn't on garden8ng leave I'd expect him to be in the squad.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:09 am

EdwinstoweStag wrote:Here’s an idea:

Let’s just let the authorities and the club do what is appropriate.

Spot on Edders.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:28 am

NorthLondonStag wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

Yeah there’s no statement by the club. But apparently two players have been suspended.

You see the disconnect ?
Maybe you don’t.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:37 am

Uncle - You do realise that John Lomas would be asking questions to someone who works for the club in John Dempster don't you?
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Uncle » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:04 am

MTFCMusings wrote:Uncle - You do realise that John Lomas would be asking questions to someone who works for the club in John Dempster don't you?

No details have been released yet. For all we know, the arrestees might not even have been released. Police can hold people for 72 hours before release. Where would anyone get info which is not public knowledge on which to base questions, Stagsnet? How do you think John Lomas gets access to MTFC in the first place? Maybe by being professional at what he does.
Uncle
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:01 pm

Uncle wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:Uncle - You do realise that John Lomas would be asking questions to someone who works for the club in John Dempster don't you?

No details have been released yet. For all we know, the arrestees might not even have been released. Police can hold people for 72 hours before release. Where would anyone get info which is not public knowledge on which to base questions, Stagsnet? How do you think John Lomas gets access to MTFC in the first place? Maybe by being professional at what he does.

Do you understand journalism? You can ask questions based on rumours, especially when every man and his dog knows the rough outline of what happened.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:21 pm

Be interesting if the club makes any kind of statement before Tuesdays game. Both players are then , in football terms available for selection ( if league cup doesn't count as a game served?)
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby Uncle » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:20 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Uncle wrote:

Do you understand journalism? You can ask questions based on rumours, especially when every man and his dog knows the rough outline of what happen.

I know what journalism is but don't get your point about what there is to understand about it. With regards to this conversation , it's run its course. I'm out.
Uncle
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:22 pm

To err is human. To forgive, divine.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:07 am

EdwinstoweStag wrote:To err is human. To forgive, divine.

And to sweep assaults under the carpet is to condone them, thus fostering a belief that it doesn't matter and why not do it again.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:40 am

No one is sweeping anything under the carpet.

Due process will sort it one way or the other, until then we have football matches to play and win.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:23 pm

Latest rumour is that they have both been released with immediate effect.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:26 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Latest rumour is that they have both been released with immediate effect.
Realesed from what ?

The cells or from their contracts ?
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:30 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Latest rumour is that they have both been released with immediate effect.

if so that means we need two midfielders
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:37 pm

Source?
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:03 pm

Their contracts, they were out of the cells on Saturday.

It has come from the Facebook fan group, so could be nonsense, could be true, who knows.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:19 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Their contracts, they were out of the cells on Saturday.

It has come from the Facebook fan group, so could be nonsense, could be true, who knows.

Ok. Thanks Musings.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:35 pm

If true I hope we're looking at a replacement (or two). Demps said he had budget to spend the other day but didn't just want bodies to sit in the stands. If both are gone and he has money hopefully we can get 1 quality player in and keep a bit back for January if needed.

If true, it's a shame both have let themselves and us down like this. Mellis especially is a big disappointment and was a key player for us.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:45 pm

It's easy to start a rumour. I've heard they've been locked up. Mellis got 2 years and Donohue got 3. See.

At the end of the day it will be investigated by the police, probably still is, and the club may have been informed not to say any. Thing until the investigation has been completed. At this stage, all we know officially is 2 men have been arrested on assault charges. That's it. The club can't really say anything until it is proven they did it (only very strong rumours at present) it COULD be proven they tried to break up the fight and got accused (unlikely with the rumours but possible). Also, Martin can only comment on what the club has told him. Injuries for example. Until the club publically make a statement nobody directly or indirectly part of the club should do or say anything about rumours.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:01 pm

gazza1988 wrote:It's easy to start a rumour. I've heard they've been locked up. Mellis got 2 years and Donohue got 3. See.

At the end of the day it will be investigated by the police, probably still is, and the club may have been informed not to say any. Thing until the investigation has been completed. At this stage, all we know officially is 2 men have been arrested on assault charges. That's it. The club can't really say anything until it is proven they did it (only very strong rumours at present) it COULD be proven they tried to break up the fight and got accused (unlikely with the rumours but possible). Also, Martin can only comment on what the club has told him. Injuries for example. Until the club publically make a statement nobody directly or indirectly part of the club should do or say anything about rumours.

Gazza, it's not a rumour to the club as to whether the two players have been arrested or not. All they need to say is, 'the club can confirm two individuals were arrested on Friday and investigations are ongoing. No further comment will be made at this time'. It just seems really silly that there is so much discussion and they are acting like it's a big secret.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:39 pm

Like I said, the police could have asked the club not to say anything. The example you gave of what the club can say is essentially the post notts police put out.

It's basically "innocent until proven guilty" from the club. Which is what our justice system is supposed to be, isn't it?

In this game, the brown stuff sticks. The club can't say anything until they have been charged by the police. They also cannot say anything about an ongoing police investigation. The club cannot give out more information than the police at this stage.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:41 pm

You were saying Gazza..... :D
MTFCMusings
Manager