{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Now the pre season is over...

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Now the pre season is over...

Postby Billy the fish » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:01 am

Don’t think the Radford’s would be happy with that statement from their manager if true after shelling out a small fortune on probably the best attack in the league on paper . I’d rather hear we are going into every game to try and win it !!!
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:51 am

Just listened to the Q&A on iFollow and he means it in general as mentioned. Hoping it’s more of a passing comment rather than us planning on setting for a point with 20 minutes to go all the time. We have a strike force that other teams in the league will be wary of and promotion teams often push on and get them late goals. We’ve seen us settle for points in the past and it often ends up backfiring but we’ll see how it all plays out.

Newport will be a good indicator. Always a tough fixture but it’s a great time to play them on a good pitch for once, that should suit us. Think there’s a good opportunity to get 3 points at a place where a lot of teams will struggle as the season goes on.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby PaulG » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:58 am

I can't for one minute imagine that the Radfords appointed JD without having discussed his footballing philosophy in forensic detail, so JD's comments are unlikely to have come as a surprise. But I wouldn't read too much into them. As others have suggested, they may have been for the benefit of the Newport manager; or he might simply intend to play a counter-attacking style away from home. Given the speed of our wide men, that would make sense.
PaulG
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby wayno cordiniho » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:30 pm

JD is a manager in his first job, losing a couple of games early doors might end his career before its started so he’s going to setup not to lose first and foremost.
wayno cordiniho
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:58 pm

wayno cordiniho wrote:JD is a manager in his first job, losing a couple of games early doors might end his career before its started so he’s going to setup not to lose first and foremost.

I doubt he'll be sacked if he has a poor start
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:40 pm

When we won the conference, we lost our first two games and conceded 14 goals in first five matches in that winning season.

So we haven’t got to be too hasty with JD if things don’t go to plan early on.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby wayno cordiniho » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:04 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
wayno cordiniho wrote:JD is a manager in his first job, losing a couple of games early doors might end his career before its started so he’s going to setup not to lose first and foremost.

Not saying that as Radfords are more than patient but starting with a bad run can spiral... ask any County fan
wayno cordiniho
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:12 pm

Take it with a pinch of salt. Adam Murray set off with grand intentions and gradually became more cautious over time.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:21 pm

wayno cordiniho wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

Not saying that as Radfords are more than patient but starting with a bad run can spiral... ask any County fan

Notts recruited really poorly that summer, I know they were lording over us with the signings of Dennis, Hemmings, Boldewijn , Vaughan but they never sorted their defence out and then their chairman went absolutely mental with sacking and hiring managers.

I can't see us spiralling to a relegation battle with the team that we have.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:25 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
wayno cordiniho wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

Notts recruited really poorly that summer, I know they were lording over us with the signings of Dennis, Hemmings, Boldewijn , Vaughan but they never sorted their defence out and then their chairman went absolutely mental with sacking and hiring managers.

I can't see us spiralling to a relegation battle with the team that we have.

Blimey! Only on Stagsnet can we we be talking about sacking the manager before a meaningful ball is kicked.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:19 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:

Not by the owner at least ;)
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum