{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

5th mystery signing

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: 5th mystery signing

Postby gazza1988 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:03 pm

Can't see us going for a number 10. As mentioned we have Khan, CJ did ok there last season. Young Alistair Smith has been in and around the 1st team recently and he plays there.

I think a CB should be considered maybe a left back too? Having said that CJ did alright down there.

Notice a common theme here. CJ is covering alot of positions. The difficulty we have, as fans, looking in is we can't say for certain what formation we will be using, we've used 3-5-2, 4-4-2 and 4-4-1-1 so far.

Regardless of formation we perhaps could do with another centre back to replace Turner. We needed him at the back end of last season.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby AlanStag » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:52 pm

I've said in another thread a CB is needed, especially if we plan on playing 3 at the back.
We've currently only got Pearce, Sweeney and Preston who I'd feel confident playing for a run of 5+ games at centre half.
Gibbens may breakthrough but it's a lot of pressure if he isn't quite ready, Mal and White can cover but then you're starting to put square pegs in round holes.

I'd bring in an experienced head who's dominant in the air much like Turner last season.
Lets not forget that the defence were part of the team who fell to pieces last season, a clean sheet against MK Dons and we would have been in League 1.
I think we're in danger of resting on our laurels a bit, if Turner would have stayed I would have him in my back line this season.
AlanStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:23 pm

i'm thonking the next addition will be a loan
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:35 pm

Spiritater wrote:i'm thonking the next addition will be a loan

That sounds painful! :D
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Stoney » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:35 pm

Gibbens looks a big lad now. I last seen him play at Macclesfield and then seen him on the touchline at Forest game on Tuesday. He's grew quite a bit and looks to have bulked up a bit too!
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby one f in mansfield » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:53 pm

Stoney wrote:Gibbens looks a big lad now. I last seen him play at Macclesfield and then seen him on the touchline at Forest game on Tuesday. He's grew quite a bit and looks to have bulked up a bit too!

That Macclesfield game the players in front of Gibbens held back and supported him . I would imagine it was a management decision not to leave a new lad exposed at the back but it did appear to contribute to one of the worst performances of the season. If he has matured , gained confidence and deserves a start then fair enough but if he still needs to improve then I would wait until he is ready rather than ruin a very good prospect.
Don,t believe everything you read on the internet --William Gladstone 1872
one f in mansfield
Manager
Manager

Postby AndyStag » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:03 pm

Need a midfield enforcer. Bish can't go on forever.
AndyStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bobbystagsfan » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:20 pm

AndyStag wrote:Need a midfield enforcer. Bish can't go on forever.

Isn't that why Donohue was signed? He said in his interview he'll add steel to our midfield
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby AndyStag » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:28 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:

Isn't that why Donohue was signed? He said in his interview he'll add steel to our midfield

Maybe but according to a Spireite season ticket holder I work with he's a bit of a hot head. I still think we are short of someone who can break up play and then play it simple.
AndyStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Kenwood » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:19 am

AndyStag wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

Maybe but according to a Spireite season ticket holder I work with he's a bit of a hot head. I still think we are short of someone who can break up play and then play it simple.

This will be a big season for Will Tomlinson.

He has shown he can do this at times and I think he has massive potential. Again another one who probably can lose his head, but that’s not something Bish himself hasn’t also got in his game.

I hope this is the season for ‘mini Bish’
Kenwood
First Team
First Team

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum